Gensomaden Saiyuki Fan Fiction ❯ Fatal Bond ❯ Prologue

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Author's Note: This is a Shien-centered fic, mostly in his POV. Interesting to note in episode 42 ("Festival") is the guilt Shien feels for Nataku's 'coma'. This fic aims to explore Shien's relationship and perspective on Nataku.

This is NOT the true story of Shien. I made up some of the parts. ^_^

I wanted to make this a shounen-ai fic, but Shien doesn't seem to in such. ^_^

Standard disclaimers apply.

FATAL BOND

By blinkie

SCENE 1: GOD vs DEMON

1. Descent: Your Fate has been Sealed

"Tentei has issued the order. Nataku is to subdue and seal Gyumao. We shall descend tomorrow, first light of dawn."

"Li Touten-sama, what is the use of bringing the entire army if it is only Nataku who will fight?"

"That is the way it has always been, and always should be."

"Gyumao is a most fearsome opponent. It is my humble opinion that the Heavenly Army assist Nataku-sama in this mission."

"Noble as your proposal is, I reject it. I don't want any more questions. Understand, soldier?"

"…Hai."

2. Battle

Black clouds race in the deepening purple of the sky. Soon darkness would fall. Whether it is a storm or the sunset, I care not. I just wish it comes soon. I wish for the darkness so I would not see the mute pleas for help in those golden eyes.

3. The Beginning of Corruption; Curse

Blood soaks the ground; god-blood and demon-blood. The blood reaches deep into the core of the earth; the ground is muddy from it. Pollute the land, corrupt it, turn it barren. It is cursed from now on. Nothing shall grow in this land of silent tears and anguish. This is just the beginning of my vengeance.

Nataku-sama, I pray, do not die on me. I want you to be there to witness my wrath against those who enslave you, for I dedicate it to you.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

SCENE II: IS THIS TRULY HEAVEN?

1. Dead Gatekeepers

I ask politely but they would not allow me into your room. They say you need to rest, for you are badly wounded.

I tell them I merely want to check on you. As second-in-command of the Heavenly Army [1], I have a right to do so. I ask them politely.

They say there was no need, you were fine and well-taken cared of. I could see they were both becoming increasingly agitated as I persist, still ever so politely, despite my own growing frustration.

They would not allow me in, so I kill them. I think that's perfectly legal. Technically, fighting gods ARE exempt from the rule of 'no-killing.' I don't know if the rules have changed, though.

But if they have, it feels good to be breaking the rules for once.

2. Alone

My face contorts in disgust as I step into your room. It was as cold as a tomb here, and you didn't even have any blankets.

Liars. Well-taken care of, huh? They didn't even change your bloodstained robe! What sloppy caregivers! Now I feel even more justified for killing them. Rid the world of scum such as them.

Curled up in that fetal position, you look ever so much like the true child you are: innocent, vulnerable, fragile. Perhaps your subconscious is trying to reveal the real you? Perhaps. Realistically speaking though, it is more likely that you are merely trying to ward away the chill of the room.

As I gaze at you, my heart aches with deep sorrow at the cruel hand that fate has dealt you.

I dress you in new garments. You look so much better now, though your skin was cold.

I search for a blanket. Finding none, I stripped my robe and lay it over you. The cold instantly chills my exposed chest. I don't mind. Better me than my prince.

* * * * * * * * * * *

SCENE III: THE DAY THEY TOOK YOU AWAY FROM ME

Another mission. Another massacre cloaked in the twin veils of retribution and justice.

We descend with uneasy souls. Nataku is not with us. He has yet to recover from his last encounter.

Today, Homura's skills shall be tested.

* * * * * * * * * * *

INTERLUDE

And we dedicated the battle to you, but you were gone when we returned; an empty victory it turned out after all.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

SCENE IV: LEAVING

1. Farewell

A tentative knock on the door. "Shien-sama? It is time to leave now. They are waiting for you."

I keep silent.

Footsteps shuffle uncertainly outside the shrine. I could just imagine the owner of those footsteps reach out a hand to push the door open, then hesitate as he realized the profanity of his action. Only a select few were allowed inside the shrine.

Realizing he would continue disturbing me until I said something, I finally reply:

"A few more moments, please."

"But.."

"Give a doomed man his final wish."

"…Hai."

The footsteps shuffle away, as if sensing the need for utmost privacy in this last moment of intimacy.

I utter a prayer of thanks and turned my attention back to the figure seated on the throne before me. "How could they do this to you? If I knew it would end this way, I never would have left your side." I bow my head in remorse. "I'm sorry, Nataku-sama. I'm sorry I wasn't there, and I'm soon going to leave you again. I'm leaving now. And…" I hesitate, wanting to add that I will come back eventually, but somehow unable to find the words. Instead, I say, "Goodbye, my prince." Kneeling, I kiss the unmoving hand of the boy. I rest my lips on the hand longer than necessary, trying to feel for the least sign of acknowledgment or recognition. Receiving none, I swallow hard to prevent the grief inside me from spilling over. I leave the room with nary a backward glance.

2. Trial

"You are charged with two counts of murder. You have broken the fundamental rule of no-killing. What do you have to say in your defense?"

"They deserved it."

I heard the hall murmur in dismay, yet I stood firm on my conviction.

"How can you say they deserve it? Is it not Tentei who decides these matters?"

"I think Tentei is incapable of such. If indeed he decides who should live and who should die, those two should not even have been born."

"How impertinent of you."

I kept silent.

"Do you not repent for your sin?"

"No."

"This is your final chance, soldier."

"They deserved it."

"Very well. Shien, you are guilty of two counts of murder. Banishment shall be undertaken immediately."

The hall was shell-shocked. The sound of my proud footsteps as I was led out of the hall filled my world.

* * * * * * * * * * *

SCENE V: REFLECTION

This is not as bad as I had feared.

Banishment from Heaven is deemed by most as a fate worse than death. I have thought so too. I always thought banishment was tantamount to damnation. Now I realize it is actually freedom. Freedom from hurt, from coerced obedience.

Perhaps if you were still with me, I would fiercely fight to stay in Heaven. Imprisonment in the deepest, darkest recesses of the prisons would be preferable, for I know you would visit me. But you are not with me anymore.

And as I stand in this shining radiance of the earthly golden sun, I recall a promise I made to you in the land where god-blood and demon-blood melded in a sad embrace:

Vengeance shall be mine.

And I dedicate this to you.

~END~

Notes:

[1]- I don't know if this is true. I got the idea after watching episode 41, "Collage", wherein Nataku returns from the battle with Gyumao. Immediately behind Nataku, Shien follows, leading the Heavenly Army into the gates. I figured Shien must be an important person if he is at the vanguard of the procession. If anyone would confirm this, I would be very glad. ^_^

A/N

It has always been my dream to write a Shien fic, and I've accomplished it now. If you are going to review, criticisms are welcome, just please be gentle with them because I consider this my "baby".

On a lighter note, "Coercion" IS an ongoing fic. Forgive me if I haven't updated in the longest time. I could not find the right inspiration for it.

This was dedicated to enervate and Mrs. Nadir Rusalki. Thanks For the support. Without you, this wouldn't have been possible. Also, to all the Shien fans out there ^_^

I hope you enjoyed reading!