Gensomaden Saiyuki Fan Fiction ❯ Reunion ❯ Eventful Evening ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

"Reunion"
 
By Janime Lee
 
Chapter Two -- Eventful Evening
 
 
"For you."
Sha Ryorin found herself looking at a white water-lily with the tiniest shade of pink at the edges. "Huan, thank you," the ten-year-old demon-girl took the flower and inhaled the light sweet scent.
"You're welcome," the slightly older human boy smiled, pushing back his light coffee-colored hair. "How's your mom feeling?"
Ryo sighed. "Not too good. She has a hard time walking now."
"What about Jien and Gojyo?" Huan asked as they walked down the street towards said brothers' house at the edge of town. "Can one of them help?"
"Believe me when I say I'd have Gojyo move in with me in heartbeat."
"Tasanee still hitting him?"
Ryo nodded with a frown. "I want to get him out of there before it gets worse. Seriously, I'm afraid she might kill him."
"I don't think your sister-in-law would do that," Huan said optimistically then turned worried teal-colored eyes to Ryo. "Would she?"
She didn't respond, only kept her eyes on their destination. I'll ask him today if he wants to move in with me, she thought. This way Tasanee can't hurt Gojyo anymore and Jien can-
Ryo stopped as her older nephew raced out of the house and away from the village.
Blood… That was blood on his shirt!
Dropping the lily, Ryo and Huan ran to the house and inside. Tanasee was lying on the floor in a pool of blood with a sword behind her. Gojyo was sitting on the floor, leaning against the wall starring at his step-mother's lifeless body. On his left cheek were two bloody gashes.
Ryo quickly went around her dead sister-in-law and dropped to her knees beside her younger nephew. "Gojyo," she said quietly and gently touched his injured cheek, pulling back a bit when he flinched. "Gojyo, what happened?"
"…Jien…" the half-breed boy whispered, "I… I just… wanted her to stop crying…" He shut his eyes yet his own tears escaped. "I didn't want either of them to cry anymore…"
Ryo wrapped her arms around Gojyo and held him close. The eight-year-old latched onto her and sobbed quietly. Huan placed the sheet he retrieved from one of the bedrooms and draped it over Tasanee.
Stupid bitch! Ryo thought angrily. All he ever wanted from you was your love! Was that too much to ask? Genma loved him. So does Jien. I love him, too…
"It'll be okay, Gojyo," Ryo stroked the blood-colored hair. "It'll be alright. You won't see me cry ever again. I promise."
 
*_*_*_*_*
 
"Okay, I know Lirin's appetite," Ryo said, "and I'll guess that everyone else is about average."
"Except Goku," Hakkai informed.
"How's his?"
"You might want to triple Lirin's," said Yaone as she gave Hakkai an apron. "I took his order once."
Ryo pursed her lips in thought. "Okay, I think I have enough for that."
"And triple it again," said Hakkai.
Ryo looked at him. "Are you serious?"
"We've actually closed a couple taverns due to his intake," Hakkai smiled.
"Wow," said Jia.
Seeing that the attendees for supper were high, Ryo knew that she was going to need extra help preparing the food. Hakkai and Yaone immediately volunteered as did Jia. The four were in the kitchen planning out the evening meal and divided who was in charge of what.
In the living room, Sanzo and Gojyo were keeping Goku pinned to the floor, while Kougaiji and Dokugakuji did the same to Lirin.
"Just one little peek!" Lirin wailed.
"Forget it!" Kougaiji growled.
"We let the kids eat first," Sanzo said, "then we'll let you up."
"Deal!" Goku agreed. "Just put the gun away! That's all I'm asking!"
Yau, Yue, Xiu, and Huan were sitting on the couch watching the spectacle in awe.
"Don't any of you try mimicking their actions," Qiong warned the children as she threaded her needle.
"Yes, Granny," was the quadruple reply.
As the time went on, the smell of food cooking permeated the air and the rumblings of Goku's and Lirin's stomach became louder. Fortunately, theirs blocked out the hunger noises of the four holding them down.
Footsteps were heard going between the kitchen and the dining room.
I really hope they're almost done, Gojyo thought. Hungry as the kappa was, one of his addictions needed to be sated as well. He wasn't going to even bother taking out the cigarette pack knowing full well that Ryo would kill him for smoking in the house--if the look she had given him earlier for smoking at all was any indication.
 
"When did you start smoking?"
That infamous eerie chill went up Gojyo's spine and he was extremely glad that he was still outside. Gojyo turned around to face his aunt through the kitchen window, taking the freshly lit cigarette from his lips. "A few years ago."
Ryo narrowed her eyes at the red-head then cast her piercing gaze to her older nephew.
"I don't," Dokugakuji held his hands up.
Ryo then saw Sanzo taking a drag from his own cigarette. "Please don't smoke inside the house," she said, "and put them out properly."
 
Gojyo sighed quietly. I have the impression that I'll be suffering from nicotine withdrawal while I'm here.
"Okay, kids," Ryo called. "Supper's ready."
"Oni-chan, let me up!" Lirin said as the four children went into the dining room.
"She didn't call for you," said Kougaiji.
"She said 'kids', and I'm your kid sister!"
"Yeesh," Goku muttered, "how dumb can she get?"
"I heard that, monkey!" Lirin glared at him.
"Then hear this!" Goku gave her the raspberry, which Lirin responded in kind.
The clicking of the hammer on Sanzo's gun immediately silenced the two.
Gojyo looked at his brother, "Scary, isn't it?" Dokugakuji nodded.
Jia entered the living room carrying a tray. Qiong moved the fabric in her lap over to the small table to her right. "Thank you, dear," the old woman smiled at her granddaughter as Jia set the tray securely on the armrests of the chair.
"Anything else?" Jia asked.
"No, dear, go on and eat your supper."
Jia left the room, and then Ryo entered with a few napkins and eating utensils in her hands. "Sorry, forgot the…" she looked at the six on the floor and raised an eyebrow momentarily before giving the items to Qiong. "Here you go."
"Thank you, Ryo," Qiong took the chopsticks and picked up a steamed dumpling.
"You're welcome." Ryo turned to the group. "Supper's ready." And she went back to the dining room.
The two pairs moved away from their captives and stood. Goku and Lirin got up slowly, keeping an eye on the other to see who would make the first move.
"Meat buns!" Xiu said happily.
That did it.
Goku and Lirin bolted to the dining room so fast the others didn't even have a chance to blink. Kougaiji covered his eyes with his right hand as he groaned and shook his head.
"Shall we go see how much is left?" Gojyo asked.
"Worse case scenario: we eat out," said Sanzo.
The four walked into the dining room and stopped short. Ryo had Lirin and Goku in headlocks. "I had a hunch," she said.
"This looks familiar," Dokugakuji grinned, "only nana was in your spot and she had you and Gojyo like that."
"Good thing I took after mom in more than just looks," Ryo smiled.
Sanzo just looked at Ryo with his usual scrutiny. How the hell was she able to hold Goku and Lirin without any trouble? Sure, she was a demon but she also had a power limiter. Goku and Hakkai were still able to use some of their powers even with their limiters, but there were very few demons that could.
Just how powerful is she? Sanzo thought as he took his seat beside the empty chair next to Hakkai.
Ryo then released Goku and Lirin, giving both of them warning looks as they slowly walked over to the vacant seats. Once they sat down, Ryo took her seat at the head of the long table. To her left sat Dokugakuji, Yaone, Lirin, and Kougaiji. To her right sat Gojyo, Hakkai, Goku, and Sanzo.
Yau, Yue, Jia, Xiu, and Huan sat at a small round table near the corner of the dining room. Ryo had already dished the food out for them and they were contently eating. Hakuryu was over by the children's table devouring the food within a bowl that had been placed on the floor with a sheet of newspaper underneath.
Ryo started the evening meal as she spooned the mashed potatoes onto her plate. The tension in the room was extremely thick to the nine adults as the bowls and plates were silently passed around and they could feel it. However, the children seemed unbothered.
Gojyo was getting agitated. He hated the way the atmosphere of the room was becoming, and hated it even more knowing the effect it was having on his aunt right now.
She never liked seeing me and Jien fight, Gojyo thought, even though it was just roughhousing. Must be killing her seeing us like this. Better think of something to get her spirits up… I got it!
"Ghesh tayah," Gojyo said.
Everyone at the table looked at the kappa--Ryo and Dokugakuji the only ones understanding what Gojyo had said.
"You still remember?" Ryo asked, a light smile playing on her lips.
The red-head smiled and looked at Dokugakuji and spoke in the strange words. Whatever Gojyo said had his brother and aunt frowning at him.
"Gojyo," Ryo had a disapproving tone in her voice.
"Can any of the kids understand it?" Gojyo asked.
"No, but that's not the point-"
"If that's how you want to play," Dokugakuji set down his chopsticks and then said something to Gojyo.
Ryo groaned. "Don't you start, too."
"They're talking funny," said Lirin.
"Um, what did we miss?" Goku asked as he watched Gojyo and Dokugakuji exchange weird words.
"It's our own private language," Ryo explained. "We made it up when we were kids."
"I've heard that twins and sometimes triplets do something like that," said Hakkai.
"Trust me; you don't want to know what they're saying." Ryo frowned at her nephews and said something to them but they ignored her. The words between them seemed to be getting more heated and this caught the attention of the five children.
"Everything alright?" Qiong called.
"It will be in a few moments," Ryo answered. Suddenly she scooped the mashed potatoes on her plate in both hands and flung them right into her nephews' faces.
Gojyo and Dokugakuji wiped the potatoes off with napkins as several snickers erupted along the table line. Hakkai had one hand over his mouth and one across his belly as if trying to contain the laughter that wanted to burst forth. Yaone had both hands over her mouth and she was doing her best to stifle her giggles. Goku and Lirin had their heads on the table and were shaking from their own chuckles. Kougaiji didn't even bother hiding the smile that had taken root on his lips, while Sanzo did his extreme best to keep the grin from tugging at the corners of his mouth.
Ryo wiped her hands off and went back to the rest of her supper. She kept her eyes on her plate and in doing so missed her two nephews glare at the other six then looked at each other before they scooped the potatoes on their own plates and flung them at their aunt.
The laughter stopped and shock took its place. Ryo sat in her chair, unmoving. Finally, she swallowed the piece of beef she had been chewing before slamming her hands flat on the table and stood up.
Sensing where this was now going, Sanzo picked his plate up and pushed back his chair. Rising to his feet, he headed out of the dining room. On his way, the monk picked up the dish Hakuryu was trying to drag to safety from the upcoming event, and he let the dragon climb onto his arm. Sanzo also noticed the hope that sparkled in the eyes of the five children as he passed their table.
"…Ry-chan?" Lirin asked quietly.
A dark chuckle was heard before Ryo lifted her head and wiped the flecks of potato from her cheek. She turned her eyes to the children's table and nodded as she picked up a small amount of food from her plate in her right hand.
"Food fight!" Ryo shouted and sent the handful at Lirin.
"Regrettably, I apologize for the commotion," Sanzo said to Qiong, glad that he had taken refuge in the living room.
"Thank you but there's no need," the elder woman laughed. "Ryo and the children have food fights once in a while. I know it does seem like a waste but it keeps their spirits up. As long as the mess is cleaned, I really don't mind."
Sanzo merely nodded in understanding as he settled on the chair and resumed eating. "So when did you meet Koumyoh Sanzo?"
"Oh, I say about a little more than twenty-five years ago," Qiong said. "It was before my husband and I moved here. He said he was on some kind of spiritual journey. I don't remember exactly what for, but I do remember that he was heading beyond the northern border passing Mongolian territory."
Sanzo frowned slightly. His master never told him about that trip, and there was no doubt many things that Koumyoh Sanzo never had a chance to tell his apprentice.
It was quite some time before the dining room calmed down. Everyone sat on the floor around the main table, slightly out of breath and eating the food that had managed to remain on the plates with their fingers.
"Remember that one food fight we had?" Dokugakuji asked.
"Oh God, I thought mom was going to kill us," Ryo laughed as she licked her fingers.
Gojyo chuckled. "Boy was she ever pissed."
"Gojyo," Ryo looked at him, "the children."
"Sorry, sorry. I'll watch my mouth."
Kougaiji sat next to Ryo. He reached out and wiped the raspberry sauce from her right cheek then licked it from his fingers. "You're sweet," he grinned at her.
Ryo in turn, wiped the brown gravy streak that graced the demon prince's left cheek and tasted it. "And you're spicy," she giggled causing Kougaiji to chuckle.
Gojyo blinked at them; their actions catching the kappa by surprise. He looked at his brother but Dokugakuji was busy with getting the green mush that had once been peas out of his hair to have seen the moment between Kougaiji and Ryo. Gojyo was about to ask Ryo what was going on when Huan skidded over to Ryo and threw his arms around her neck.
Ryo yelped and then made a grossed-out noise as she gently pushed her son back a bit. The smiling three-year-old was covered head-to-toe in gravy, raspberry sauce, and beef juice.
Kougaiji chuckled with a smile and then turned his head in the direction Huan had come from. He burst out laughing at the sight of the other four children, his sister and Goku completely covered in food. Goku, of course, was doing his best to salvage the food and eat it.
"Okay," Ryo carefully stood, "everyone outside. Yue, please turn the hose on."
"C'mere you," Kougaiji picked Huan up, and led the way through the kitchen and mudroom to the backyard.
"Jien and Gojyo," Ryo faced her nephews, "I thank you for cleaning the dining room."
"I don't remember volunteering," Dokugakuji looked at his brother.
"Beetles and snake," their aunt said.
"Lead us to the Lysol," said Gojyo.
Ryo went into kitchen and returned with rags, paper towels, cleaning solvent, and a couple garbage bags. "Just get the majority of it. I'll finish it later."
"And what about the wardrobe issue?" Dokugakuji asked.
"Don't worry, you guys won't be running around naked. …Although Yau has a tendency to do that on occasion."
"Oh, he has to be related to me," Gojyo smirked.
Ryo chuckled. "Try not to pass on any other habits of yours."
"Only cards," Gojyo promised. "Girls he can learn on his own--like I did."
"Don't remind me," Ryo shook her head and went outside.
Hakkai and Goku sat on the lawn waiting with the children as Kougaiji rinsed Huan. He then handed the hose to Yaone so that she could rinse off herself and Lirin. "All set," Kougaiji smiled at the human boy.
"No bath, Uncle Kouji," said Huan.
Kougaiji looked at Ryo. "That's not up to me…"
"I guess you can skip it tonight," Ryo lightly scratched his head.
By the time everyone rinsed the food off themselves, Gojyo and Dokugakuji came outside.
"Not the best cleaning job," Gojyo admitted. "But it definitely looks more like a place to eat rather than something to eat."
"Thanks, guys," Ryo smiled at them. "Okay. Jia, Xiu, if you two are done, leave your clothes in the mudroom. Your bathrobes are in the laundry basket next to the ironing board. Yell out the window when you're upstairs in your room."
"Okay," both girls responded and ran inside.
"Yaone, Lirin, you two come with me next. You can borrow my clothes--I'm pretty sure they'll fit." Ryo turned to the male group. "I'll get some stuff picked out for you guys to wear."
After Jia yelled out the window that she and her sister were all set, Ryo, Yaone, and Lirin went next. They striped in the mudroom and wrapped themselves in large towels. Ryo poked her head out to the kitchen and called out, "Qiong?"
"Sanzo's out in the front yard having a cigarette," the older woman responded. "You're all clear."
The three ladies quickly bolted through the kitchen and up the stairs to Ryo's room.
"Well, this was a fun day," Yaone smiled.
Ryo gave a small laugh and went to her closet. "Take your pick, girls."
"These are too long," Lirin said as she held a pair of Ryo's cotton pants to her waist, the legs clearly leaving quite a few inches on the floor.
"Here, try these." Ryo handed the shorter demon a pair of jeans that Ryo had cut off at her knees so they should end on Lirin's calf.
Fully dressed, Yaone and Lirin went back to the living room with Jia and Xiu. Ryo then went into the storage room and opened a few boxes, poking through the clothes. Most of them had belonged to Sukari and her husband--Qiong just couldn't bring herself to throw them out so she kept them for her four grandchildren in the future.
I hope she won't mind, Ryo thought. I still have some of Genma's and… She stopped as her hand came across a faded denim shirt with a blue and green patch on the left front pocket. I just hope they'll fit.
Ryo took the pile of clothes she had assembled and put them in her bedroom. She called up the twins, Kougaiji and Huan. Taking her son from the demon prince, Ryo shooed the boys to their room and put Huan directly into his pajamas. Kougaiji finished changing and led the boys downstairs.
Hakkai and Goku came up next. Hakkai thanking Ryo for the trouble of giving them clean dry clothes and Goku marveling at the dragon and tiger design on his borrowed shirt.
Gojyo and Dokugakuji came upstairs and were picking through the clothes.
"Hey look," Dokugakuji grinned as he held up the front-button blue dress shirt. "This was dad's shirt."
"You serious?" Gojyo asked as he set down the brown hoodie, and then looked at the pants he and his brother had just put on. "Wonder if these were his."
"Too tight," Dokugakuji frowned slightly as he pulled the shirt off and tossed it to Gojyo. "Probably fit you."
"What are you implying?" the red-head narrowed his eyes. "I'll have you know I have plenty of upper body strength."
"I have no doubt," said the older demon. He had heard of his brother's "adventures" in several towns.
Gojyo smirked and put the shirt on. It fit almost perfectly; the sleeves were just a little short but he could deal with that. The one thing Gojyo noticed was that some of the clothes Ryo had left out for them did not just belong to his father.
"I'm surprised," Dokugakuji said, jarring Gojyo from his thoughts.
"About what?"
"That Ryo named that kid after that guy in our hometown. Whatever happened to him?"
Gojyo paused for a bit, picking his words and how much he should say. "They got married," he finally said. Dokugakuji looked at him as Gojyo went on, "We parted in one town but we kept in touch. Huan died in an accident about five years ago."
"Ah shit," Dokugakuji leaned back against the dresser.
"Please, bro," Gojyo looked at him, "I rarely ever asked anything from you when I was a kid but please don't let Ryo know I told you."
"It's okay, Gojyo."
Both men jumped and looked at their aunt standing in the doorway.
"Are you two finished? I'd like to have my room back."
"Yeah, I think we're set," said Gojyo.
Dokugakuji pulled a light colored long sleeved shirt on and turned to Ryo. "Hey, um… I'm sorry about…"
"Like the old saying, 'shit happens.' You just have to deal with it and roll with the punches. Right?"
"Right."
"I thought swearing wasn't permitted around the children," Gojyo smirked at his aunt.
"Alright, I confess that I slip once in a while," Ryo looked at him, "but I certainly have improved from that string of curses I used to let out when I got mad. And you shouldn't talk, Gojyo, you knew more profane words when you were seven than some people do in their life."
Gojyo couldn't help chuckling as he and Dokugakuji followed Ryo downstairs.
"Don't go," Huan's pleading voice greeted the trio as they descended to the foyer.
"Sorry, but we can't stay tonight," Kougaiji smiled at the young boy. "Your mother already has other company and I doubt that there's enough room for all of us."
Huan's bottom lip pouted and he stretched his arms up to the demon. Kougaiji leaned down and picked him up, lightly patting his back as the little arms hugged his neck.
Ryo walked over to Kougaiji and took her reluctant son from the demon prince. "He'll come back, Huan," Ryo promised, "Someone has to bring back the borrowed clothes."
"Thanks," Kougaiji looked at her before ruffling short mouse-brown hair, "I'll be back in a couple weeks. So you have to keep an eye on everyone here, okay?"
"O-tay…" Huan mumbled.
Gojyo smiled a little at the sight. Who would've thought he has a soft spot for kids. Crimson eyes moved passed the trio to the window. "Now there's something you don't see everyday."
Outside, Sanzo and Yaone were restraining Goku and Lirin from pummeling each other. Yaone was holding Lirin's arms and Sanzo had Goku's shirt in a firm grip with his left had as he used his right to light his cigarette. The shorter two were yelling at each other and trying to break free from their holders.
"Time to go," said Kougaiji.
They walked out the front door just as Hakkai set a large cloth bag that contained the other four's clothing near Yaone and Lirin.
"Yaone, Lirin," Kougaiji called.
"No!" Lirin wailed as Yaone started dragging her and the bag away. "Not after what he said!"
"You started it!" Goku yelled.
"I'm still gonna kick your butt, monkey!"
"Enough, Lirin!" Kougaiji ordered and slung his struggling sister over his right shoulder.
"You can't even kick dirt!" Goku retorted.
WHACK!
"Ooooww…" Goke rubbed the sore spot on his head.
"We can save this scuffle for another time," Sanzo replaced the paper fan in his sleeve.
"Agreed," Kougaiji nodded.
"Night, Uncle Kouji!" Huan waved, and the group of four vanished.
"Well," Hakkai smiled, "this was an interesting day."
 
 
April 15, 2007
 
This chapter turned out to be a little shorter than I had planned. Oh well. That's the way the ball bounces, or in this case the plotline flows. Until next chapter, folks.
 
~Janime Lee