Gensomaden Saiyuki Fan Fiction ❯ The Smile I Hide ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Ok, so this is my remake of my really bad story called Hidden Scars. I kinda looked back on it and can't believe I wrote that badly. EW!! I don't like where I was going with the first one, so I'm gonna try something different. The first part will take place in the heavens when Sanzo and the others were still gods. I hope you guys will like this.

Prologue
Flawless.....ideal....supreme....pure....utopia . No matter what word you use, they all mean the same thing: perfect. And that's what this place was. It was a paradise like no other. A place where we can look down on the people of the lower world and laugh at their flaws and troubles of everyday life. Helping them with situations out of their worldly control was one of our rare major interference. It keeps our entertainment alive and prospering. This place was what we gods call home...and I hate it.
Looking out the window, I see everyone walking by. Laughing and enjoying the peaceful life created here, they pass me by. The thought of being mortal never crosses their minds. They never seem to think about how wonderful the lives of those who inhabit the lower world really are. I envy those people. Living day to day with all the problems that we never seem to have. They hurt one another and are hurt by one another, gaining knowledge and wisdom from their experiences. They age as time goes by, while we never seem to age a day.
I love the lower world. I love to read their words from books, dwell in the fantasies created by their minds, and the joy of finding those booksis simply sublime. If I want a book, it's here. There's no trying to find it and instead coming across many other books during your search. Then when you do find that book, the joy of reading it is so much better. I look down in my lap at a leather-bound book I want so badly to read, but I wont. "I Hated Heaven" was it's name. As tempted as the title sounds, I want to enjoy it like the humans in the lower world do.
My eyes turn down the hallway I sit in. Someone is coming, but they change direction once they see me. I am so different that everyone seems to think that coming near me may make them different too. I don't blame them. My hair is dark as night flowing down to my waist and my piercing eyes are a shocking bright hazel. My skin is pale and I don't think any of Them have seen me smile. I hide my thin frame under the black and sliver kimono with the red under kimono that matched the beads that hang around my neck and off one shoulder to my arm. My bamboo sandals lay at my feet, having taken them off to put my legs up on the seat. Looking at me you'd never know what it is I really do.
"Izumi!" Looking up I see one of the only people who know me inside out. Hair as dark and as long as mine but with bright almond shaped green eyes. She was slightly taller than me, and she never hid her tan skin. Her skinny frame stood out well in her jeans. The beads on the end of one strand of hair matched her blue midriff shirt quite well. It always seemed to amuse me that instead of wearing the strings of prayer beads, she would take them apart and use the beads in her hair or weave belts like the one she wore now. Her heals clicked on the floor as she ran towards me, hand waving in the air. It was a surprise anyone could even run like she could in heals.
Kimi was her name, which means she who is without equal. She lived up to her name. There was no one else here who was like her. As beautiful as she looked, she had quite a mouth on her and a sharp tongue to go with it. They hadn't found anyone who could out drink her yet, even when she had a head-start on the booze. She was wild and out of control, tended to stay away from everyone else, and chose to befriend me out of all people. Like me, she hated being here. She wanted to experience the life and love that only humans could have.
As Kimi approached, I noticed that she wasn't smiling as she normally did if she was here to just be around me. The lack of a smile on Kimi's face meant we had another job. Kimi's job and mine usually tied together. Though we only really interfere with humans when it's out of their hands, sometimes the people of the lower world needed someone's help, and only by those who were willing to do it, which was few. But finding them in time was hard. We could only help those whose prayer we heard.
Many call me the protector of children and child birth. I hated to see any child in distress or in harm's way. What angered me more was that I usually saw the danger was from their own parents. At times, it was not only the child in danger, but the mother as well. That was where Kimi came in. Most of the people thought of her as the guardian of women. You'd never believe how many women are put into danger. Out of those, only a third ask for our help. The rest stopped believing in gods a long time ago.
A while later, I returned with Kimi. It took a little longer than we thought. A father whose wife was pregnant with another man's child. He had beaten her badly, to the point where her last words was the prayer that we heard. We did the only thing we could do: give punishment. A life for a life. Sometimes it was hard doing our jobs. Sometimes we just couldn't get there in time. Sometimes...it really hurt.
"Izumi!" Looking up I see Sakura running towards me. Sakura was so small she looked like a child, but she was more mature than you'd think. Dark brown hair in braided pigtails hung down from the back of her head, a cute style to match the big blue eyes that always smiled with joy. Her small frame was wrapped in a sleeveless kimono styled shirt with a short skirt. It was sort of silly since she wore a set of boots from the lower world. Sakura mean cherry blossoms.
Many people thought of her as the protector of animals. Whenever she saw a sick creature, she made sure that she would nurse it back to health. Over time, the number of her animal friends accumulated quite a bit. She had one for every letter of the alphabet and more. It actually became quite useful when they returned the favor by helping her when she needed it.
Following her, although at a slower pace, was Kohaku. She stood just as tall as me though a bit older. She loved wearing her sleeveless red shirt that zipped up the front, stopping just under her breasts. It matched well with her low rider jeans and black haori. She was more traditional in a sense. Though that didn't really count for her blonde streaked, red hair, which looked stunning when matched with her bright blue eyes. Silver jewelry hung everywhere from her body. You'd think you could hear her from a mile away with all of it, but she could sneak up behind you without making a sound. Scared the shit outta even me once or twice.
When translated, Kohaku means amber. It was definitely a good name for her. She loved to play with fire. It fascinated her to no end. The way the flames moved and the different colors you can create just by changing the type of fuel or intensity of the heat. Over time, she learned to create and control the hot flames. It became somewhat of a game for her at times. For that, many gave her the nickname goddess of fire.
It seemed that without meaning to, we four goddesses have been given our own nicknames. Seemed ironic that everyone knew who we were, but at the same time they didn't. No one knew that the reason the four of us could get along so well was that we all had one thing in common. We wanted to be mortal, and we knew just how to do it. We were going to become mortal and live in the lower world. We would live our lives as we wanted... and have a damn good time doing it.