Gensomaden Saiyuki Fan Fiction ❯ There's A Girl In My Party! ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
There’s A Girl In My Party!

“I’m hungry,” Son Goku moaned.
“Shut up, stomach-for-brains,” Sha Gojyo replied.
“You shut up! I knew cockroaches were pests, but I never thought they were this bad.”
“What the hell did you just say?!”
“SHUT THE HELL UP!!!” Genjo Sanzo shouted as he turned around to deliver a few smacks with his infamous paper fan.
Cho Hakkai would’ve started chuckling, but he sensed something wasn’t right nearby. He could sense someone was in trouble.
“EEEYAAAHHH!!! DON’T TOUCH ME!!!” a young woman’s voice screamed.
A sharp turn startled the passengers. “Hey, what gives?!” Goku exclaimed.
“Yeah, what’s up?” Gojyo asked.
“Didn’t you hear that? Somebody’s in trouble,” Hakkai replied. He drove to where the scream came from.

“Take ‘em off, cutie,” the drunken thug ordered as he started ripping the woman’s top off.
“Get your hands off!”
“You really think I will just ‘cause you told me?” The thug was sent flying by a kick to the head.
“Hakkai, get her out of here, I’ll knock this creep out,” Gojyo stated as he prepared for a fight.
Hakkai nodded. He picked up the woman’s shirt and handed it to her. “Come on, you’ll be safe with me, I promise.”
The woman held her shirt over her chest and nodded. She followed Hakkai to a jeep where Sanzo and Goku were waiting. She allowed Hakkai to help her into the back. “What about your friend?” she asked as she slipped her shirt on.
“Gojyo will be fine. Ah, here he comes now.”
She watched the redhead return and saw he was in one piece. ‘Gojyo? Are these the men I was seeking?’
Gojyo climbed into the back. “He wasn’t so tough. I know he’ll think twice before eyeing gorgeous girls.”
“I apologise for causing any trouble.”
“No trouble at all, miss. So, where is your house? I’ll take you there before we continue on our journey,” Hakkai offered.
“I’m not from around here. I’ve been searching for some people. It’s imperative that I find them.”
“Do you know where they are?”
“No, but I know who they are. I was told to find Genjo Sanzo, Son Goku, Sha Gojyo and Cho Hakkai.”
“It would seem they found you instead.”
“I thought so.”
“Don’t be so ecstatic you wish to jump up and scream,” Goku remarked.
“Forgive me. It’s just that all my life I couldn’t do anything myself without failing and once again, I failed. I even fell into a tough spot and…”
“So, what’s your name and why were you seeking us?” Sanzo asked.
“I was told to accompany you on your journey west. I’m to be in the Sanzo party. My name is Burutsu Tamamura.”
“Your story checks out. I’d been told about you, the woman from the south. I hope you’re able to do such a huge task like saving the world as failure is out of the question. Gojyo, just because she’s a woman doesn’t mean you can constantly hit on her.”
Gojyo blinked. “She is rather cute, but for some reason, other than what she just went through, I don’t have an urge to hit on her.”
Goku smiled widely. “Now I have a big sister!”
Tamamura blinked her green eyes. “Come again, Goku?”
“You’re the big sister, Gojyo’s the big brother, Sanzo’s the father, Hakkai’s the mother and I’m the little brother.”
“Oh, family terms. I see.”
As the jeep started up, Hakkai swore he sensed sorrow in the back of the jeep. “Is everything alright, Tamamura?”
“Just thinking of my family. I miss my father and brother, I haven’t seen them for months. I really miss my mother a lot, she passed on when I was a child. She was really ill and it was incurable. Her treatments let her live longer.”
“Ooh. I see. I’m sorry for making you bring it up.”
“It’s alright.”
“We’ll be at the inn in a couple of minutes.”
Sanzo closed his eyes. ‘Great. Another room. Oh well, it’s not my money. Guess it’s not so bad. But, there’s a girl in our group! And one who lacks the ability to defend herself from thugs. How will she go against demons? Is she even aware of the risks she’s taking joining our party? Guess not. And why is it that I feel like I’ve met her before? Gojyo won’t hit on her and Goku was quick to call her a ‘big sister’. What’s going on?’

The jeep pulled to a stop outside of the inn. Hakkai turned to Sanzo. “Will we be having two rooms this time?”
“No, the arrangements will be the same,” Sanzo replied. “However, Tamamura will be in the bedroom connected to ours so she still has some privacy.”
“Alright then.” The group climbed out of the jeep and waited as it transformed into a dragon.
“Whoa! Who’s that?” Tamamura asked.
“This is Hakuryu, he’s my pet dragon.”
“He’s so cute! Can I pet him?”
“Sure.”
Tamamura stroked Hakuryu’s long neck. “It’s nice to meet you, Hakuryu. My name is Tamamura.”
“Kyu!” Hakuryu replied as he perched on Hakkai’s shoulder.
Sanzo was already making his way inside. “Hurry up! We haven’t got all day, you know.”
Tamamura hurried after him. “I’m sorry, Master Sanzo.”
Gojyo turned to Hakkai. “Was she being sarcastic?”
Hakkai shook his head. “No, she was being sincere. We’d better hurry too before Sanzo shoots us.”

The group was lucky there was a single bedroom connected to the main one. Tamamura had the single bedroom of course. She was just packing up her belongings when she heard a knock on the door. “Come in, I’m decent!”
Hakkai entered the room. “I’m about to go shopping for supplies. Would you like to accompany me?”
“I would like that very much, Hakkai. Please wait for me, I need to quickly change my clothes as I’ve been wearing these for the last few days.”
“Of course. I’ll wait outside for you. Take your time, I’m in no rush.”
Tamamura nodded. Once Hakkai had left and closed the door, she set about changing.

Hakkai and Tamamura were walking along the main street, making stops at necessary stalls. “Hakkai?”
“Yes?”
“Would it be alright if we stopped at the pharmacy?”
“Yes, we need to purchase some medication for when we fall ill. Is that why you need to make a stop there?”
“No, it’s more along the lines of…feminine hygiene.”
“Oh, I understand now.”
“I have my own money to purchase them, so you don’t need to use the ATM card Master Sanzo handed to you before we left.”
“Alright then. By the way, you don’t have to refer to Sanzo as ‘Master Sanzo’.”
“Okay.”

After the shopping was finished, they made their way back to the inn. “Are you alright with those bags?” Hakkai asked as he looked down at Tamamura.
“I’ll be alright,” she replied. “I have to pull my weight after all. I don’t want you to think I’m a freeloader or anything like that. I agreed to go shopping with you so it’s only right I assist carrying the supplies.”
“You don’t have to do this if you find it difficult.” He noticed she was struggling to see over the supplies she was carrying. He also noticed she was about to trip over something. “Oh! Watch out!”
“WHOA!!!” She tripped over and she and the supplies she was carrying were on the ground.
Hakkai set his on the ground and knelt next to her. “Oh my goodness, are you alright?” He helped her sit up and saw she’d cut her knee. He held his palm over it and focused his chi. Soon, the wound was closed. “That should do it.” He didn’t receive a response. He rested a hand on her shoulder. “Are you alright, Tamamura?” That was when he noticed the tears slipping from her eyes.
“I’m sorry. I failed again.”
He smiled gently. “Do not worry. I’m just glad you’re not hurt any worse.”
“But, the supplies…”
“Nothing was broken. But, all that really matters is your wellbeing.”
She looked up at Hakkai. She suddenly hugged him and cried into his chest. “I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.”
Hakkai rubbed her back. “It’s alright, I’m not mad at you or anything. It was an accident. Accidents happen.”
“I shouldn’t even be in the Sanzo party. Like Sanzo said, there’s no room for mistakes, failure isn’t an option. I can’t even carry supplies without failing, how am I supposed to help save the world?”
“But, you can do it. You have to believe you can. You need to find your self-confidence or you’ll be miserable forever. Tamamura, you need to stop telling yourself that you’ll fail and start telling yourself you’ll accomplish your tasks. But, don’t jump into a difficult task right away, start at the first step and make your way up. Carrying the supplies today is a good example. You shouldn’t force yourself to do anything you find difficult, you should do what you can. Alright?” He felt her nod, but still heard her crying. “Nobody has given you this advice before, have they?”
“Hey, Hakkai, is she alright?” Gojyo asked as he walked over to them.
“Not really. What brings you here, Gojyo?”
“You were taking way too long so Goku and I decided to come look for you.”
“Where is Goku?”
“At the food stand over there.” He looked up. “Hey! Get your ass over here, monkey!”
Goku ran over. “I’m not a monkey, you water-sprite cockroach!” He blinked. “What’s wrong with Tamamura?”
“She had a fall and dropped her supplies. I told her it was just an accident, but she’s still upset about it,” Hakkai replied. “She hurt her knee so I’ll have to carry her back just in case. I need you two to carry the supplies.”
Goku set about picking up the supplies Tamamura dropped. “Hey, what are these?” He held up a pack.
“Those are Tamamura’s. You don’t need to concern yourself with those.” He got to his feet while holding a still weeping woman. “Let’s go. Sanzo is probably growing impatient.”
“And it’s all my fault,” Tamamura sobbed. “He’ll yell at me.”
“Sanzo won’t yell at you.” He added ‘probably’ under his breath.

Sanzo looked up as the door opened. “You sure took your time.”
“We’re very sorry, Sanzo. Tamamura tripped over and hurt herself,” Hakkai replied. “I’ll put her to bed, she’d cried herself to sleep.” He went into the joined bedroom. “Oh, you’ll notice something we don’t usually purchase. Please bring those in here, they’re Tamamura’s special supplies.” He pulled back the covers and set her on the bed. He pulled the covers over her. “Rest well. We’ll have a talk about your self-confidence when you wake up.” He left her to sleep and joined the others.
“Hakkai, what did you mean? Did she cry because she hurt herself? ‘Cause if that’s the case, then she’s not strong enough to join us,” Sanzo stated as he took out a cigarette and his lighter.
“No, it’s because she’d dropped the supplies. She has low self-confidence and becomes distressed when she can’t accomplish a task.”
“I have my doubts about her. If just dropping the supplies distresses her, then how will she hold up in a fight against Gyumaoh’s assassins? Or even the cannon fodder who try to hunt us for our bounties?”
“I don’t doubt her though. All she needs is a confidence boost.”
“We don’t have time for that. She could wind up getting killed before she gains enough confidence. Did you ever consider that?”
“I believe she has what it takes. The only reason she can’t accomplish her tasks is because she keeps telling herself that she can’t. But, in a life-or-death situation, she may just do it without even thinking about failing. She told me about a time when she and her brother were still children. Her brother was submerged and even though she couldn’t swim too well, she went under and saved him.”
The priest closed his violet eyes. “Fine then, she can stay, but if she slows us down, she’s out of the group and I’ll hold you responsible.”
“Very well then.” He noticed Tamamura in the doorway. “Tamamura!”
Tamamura had tears in her eyes. “I’m a hopeless case, I know. There’s no point in believing in me. I think that I…” Before her tears fell, she ran into the sub room and shut the door behind herself. Her sobs could be heard.
Gojyo stepped outside, he couldn’t stand to hear her crying audibly.
Hakkai shook his head. ‘Her condition is worse than I thought. But, why exactly is it that she becomes so distressed so easily?’
“Hakkai, shouldn’t you go check on her?” Goku asked.
“At first, I would’ve let her have time alone, but she’s rather concerning.” He made his way to the room. He knocked on the door then entered. “Tamamura?” He walked over to her after shutting the door. “You’re not very stable, are you? That makes two of us.”
She looked up at him.
“I may appear stable, but I only smile to hide my sorrows. I have come close to losing it a few times.”
“I’m sorry.”
“Don’t be.” He knelt in front of her. “Excuse me for asking, but…” He sighed. “Has your
self-confidence been low since after your mother’s passing?”
“No. It was since the time when she was ill. All through my early childhood, I was afraid of my mother dying and then she was diagnosed with cancer. I knew she was going to die and when I told her, she kept telling me that she’d be alright. I had to grow up quickly, a child can’t usually call for help and be taken seriously. But, I just felt myself panic all the time, I felt like I’d never get help. When my mother died, I lost my main sense of security. For the rest of my life, I’ve been a scared little girl in a woman’s body who can’t do anything right.”
“Don’t say that.” He placed a hand on her shoulder. “You’ve gone through a few trials and tribulations, haven’t you?”
“I was a victim of sexual assault. It took me a month to regain trust in my father and brother. I lost trust in all males, but, I’m regaining it. I know you won’t do anything to me, that’s why I can trust you and the others.”
“I should’ve figured. That would explain why you’re so vulnerable, and it nearly happened again.”
“A friend of mine…took her own life that same year. Nobody knew she needed help until she passed on.”
“I lost a loved one that way. She was my one true love. Her death is what caused me to become emotionally unstable.”
“I myself have considered it. I’m not happy anymore.”
Hakkai suddenly hugged her. “Someday you will be.”
She started crying again. “I don’t belong here. I can’t even fight.”
“There must be a reason why you were chosen. We were all selected by the Merciful Goddess. She wouldn’t just tell you to join us without there being a reason.”
“But, why me? I’m useless!”
He stroked her hair. “Come now, you’re not useless.” He tightened his hold. “The answer will come to you eventually, but you’ll never find it if you don’t seek it out. The same goes for your inner-strength. You need to find it to regain it. I know you have a purpose in this party, but you have to find out what it is for yourself.”

The Merciful Goddess was watching the whole thing through the lily pond. “Just like five hundred years ago, huh, Tenpou? Tanpa? The real reason I have all of you on the journey, besides the fact that you’re the only ones who can do it, is because of the eternal bond between all five of you.”

“Hakkai?”
“Yes, Tamamura?”
“I’ll join you. I have to find my inner-strength. I have to find out why I was chosen to accompany you on this mission.”
“I’m glad you made that decision and I know you’ll find out what you’re seeking.”
“Thank you.” She wiped her eyes. “I guess we should tell the others.”
“Then let’s go and announce the news. I’m certain Goku will especially be thrilled. He can’t remember what he went through before he was sealed in Mount Gogyou, but from what he can remember, he’s never had a family.” He let go of her and got to his feet.
“Poor Goku. Well, I’ll be the best big sister I can be to him. I know I can’t mess that up.”
Hakkai smiled gently. “You see? You’re not useless.”
“Guess you’re right.’

“YOU’RE COMING TOO?!?! YAY!!! YAY!!!” Goku cheered as he hugged Tamamura.
Sanzo just wore a look that plainly said ‘do what you want’.
Gojyo smiled. “It’ll be interesting having a woman with us. Just try to keep the waterworks controlled, alright?”
Tamamura nodded. “I’ll try my best. Um…where are my special supplies? They weren’t brought into my room and I need them now. Another reason why my emotions were
out-of-whack and why I’ll be moody for the rest of the week.”
“You got your rags?”
“Must you be so direct to the point? It’s natural but embarrassing.”
Goku blinked. “Why are rags embarrassing?”
“You don’t need to worry about it,” Sanzo sighed. He turned to Tamamura. “They’re on the lamp table.”
“Thanks.” She grabbed them and dashed into the bathroom.
“This poses as an issue. She can’t be in the middle of nowhere during this time of month, it’s unhygienic.” He turned to Hakkai. “You know more about this subject because of…so, what do you suggest we do?”
Hakkai sighed. “Stay in town for the week I suppose. Or until it ends.” He saw Tamamura come out of the bathroom.
“Tch! Fine then.” He didn’t say more lest she start crying again.
A female in the Sanzo party. This would prove to be very interesting indeed, and the Merciful Goddess knew it well. She’d be entertained, that was for sure.

The End

There we go, the story of how Burutsu Tamamura joins the Sanzo party. I know, her emotions really are unstable. To be honest, I used to be like that. She’s how I was a few years back. I’m improving though and I can assure you that as time goes on she will too. You might be wondering what her true purpose is. Here it is…she’s the glue that helps the Sanzo party stay together and even helps Sanzo realise that he does care about each of them…though he won’t realise that for a while. And each month will still baffle Goku, if you get what I mean. She is a woman after all.
Thanks for reading this. I don’t own Saiyuki or its original characters, Ms. Kazuya Minekura does, I only own Tamamura. Please kindly review, please don’t sue me and please don’t leave any flamers, Tamamura will cry again.