GetBackers Fan Fiction ❯ For Me to Know, And you to Never Find Out ❯ FMTKAYTNFO ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

For Me to Know, And You to Never Find Out.

 

 

~*~

 

 

A/N: I've been thinking about this for a while now, and out of the blue just decided to write it now. I blame coffee and insomnia. Coffee over-stimulates the vorpal bunnies chewing on my head.

 

Also, ~these words~ are in German.

 

-this is flashback-

 

For Neko-chan, cause she deserves a little Paul-centric goodness for all the waiting I'm putting her through with my other ficcies and for all the other Paul fan-girls out there who have asked the same question. Also for Ariel/Aliza-san, cause she's the best English Queen beta anyone could ask for.

 

 

~*~

 

 

~Fangen Sie an~

 

 

Mido Ban was discreetly glaring over his coffee mug.

 

His target: Paul.

 

Since he'd known the owner of the Honky Tonk, the same question has weighed on his mind: What color was this guy's eyes?

 

It wasn't that Ban was obsessed with the subject or anything.

 

Nooo.

 

It's just been something that's been silently chewing on his brain for the past couple of years.

 

Of course he's tried asking. But every time, he'd get the same answer: "It's none of your business. Now go out and get a job so you can pay me back."

 

Every. Friggin'. Time.

 

Seriously, Ban thought, what was so secret? Are they like the color of puke or something? What is there to hide?

 

Not even Ban hides his eyes with such care, and he had a real reason to hide them.

 

Ginji once asked if Paul had some secret like Ban's.

 

-Ginji was sitting on Emishi's lap as the couple listened to Ban go on about Paul's glasses and watched him pace back and forth.

 

"Ban-chan, maybe Paul-san's like you."

 

"What?" Ban stopped wearing down the floor and stared at Ginji like 'Huh?'

 

"Maybe he has the Evil Eye like you, or maybe he has some other power that if people see his eyes something will happen to them." Ginji said.

 

"Like *Medusa?" Emishi asked.

 

"Like they'll turn into stone?" Ginji asked.

 

"Well there's that, and then there's a few older myths about her. One that said she wore a veil to cover her eyes because if you looked into them you'd see your death, because you'd see your future and all future's end in death." Emishi said.

 

Ban and Ginji just gaped at him.

 

"What? I'm not allowed to have culture? I'm not a complete idiot you know!"

 

Ginji had just blinked at him, then recovered and sparkled at him. "I know Emi-chan! I believe in you! ™"-

 

Hmm… Ban thought, maybe Emishi had some- NO! Paul is not allowed to have badass powers. It's bad enough he's like sex on legs in shades, and is Hevn's lover! He doesn't need any other 'special abilities' beyond that! It's not allowed.

 

But why else would Paul be hiding his eyes?

 

Ban had also once tried asking Natsumi, but she'd never seen Paul's eyes-

 

"What?" Paul had suddenly realized (or was just now acknowledging) that Ban was glaring at him.

 

"Nothing." Ban said grudgingly and began drinking his coffee, ignoring the fact that it was now cold.

 

Ban had even obsse- ahem, ago- no, that's not right either.

 

Er… conferred!

 

AHA!

 

That's the word!

 

Ban had even conferred with Shido and Madoka on the subject.

 

-Ban was pacing the floor of Madoka's sitting room, ranting on and on about the possible reason's for Paul's glasses.

 

"Maybe it has something to do with his past as a thief. Maybe someone had reported him to the police but only got a good look at his eyes or something and they're an extremely rare color like purple or orange or something…" Ban was mostly talking to himself. "That's not likely…"

 

Shido was just watching him pace back and forth, and though Madoka couldn't see Ban, she was following the sound of his footsteps. Mozart, who was lying on the floor next to Madoka's chair, was watching Ban as well, looking worn at the man's strange actions.

 

"Or maybe," Shido said "He just likes wearing his glasses all the time and really doesn't think it's any of your business." Shido said.

 

Ban stopped and just glared at Shido "What do you know, Monkey Tamer?"

 

"Apparently not much…" Shido deadpanned

 

"Why did I even bother coming here? You have no answers for me!"

 

"Cause Ginji Looked at me and told me to feed you so you would stop driving him crazy and let him be alone with Emishi for awhile."

 

"Oh, right." Ban sat down "So… Make with the food."-

 

Ban had to admit, that was a pretty sweet deal, even though Shido ended up humoring him through the whole thing and refused to let him go about it. He made a crack about it at every strategically placed opportune moment… As did Emishi when he thought Ban wasn't listening.

 

Ban also had tried getting Paul's glasses off… but ended up with his face planted on the ground and threatened to not let this nice author write about him and Ginji as shameless yaoi poster-boys if I wrote a humiliating flashback about that particular incident, so we will move on, okamatay?

 

Ban began muttering into his half empty coffee mug about "evil elf-locked, hentai minded voyeurs and their evil, snarky, sadistic sense of 'entertainment'"

 

Ahem. Moving on.

 

Ban recently had tried asking Hevn, to no success. Of course.

 

-"Oh, Hevn-san…" Ban said, giving Hevn his most charming smile.

 

"Yes Ban-kun?" Hevn replied, with a slight smirk on her lips.

 

"By any chance would you know what color Paul's eyes are?"

 

"Oh, well yes, of course. He doesn't wear those glasses everywhere." Hevn said, her smirk strengthening.

 

"Tell me then, dear Hevn-san, what is the color of Paul's eyes? And why does he always hide them?"

 

"Ban-kun," Hevn said.

 

"Yes?"

 

"That, my dear, is for me to know, and you to never find out."-

 

Ban downed the last of the cold coffee grudgingly. "Stupid bint…"

 

Shido walked into the Honk Tonk following Hevn. He glanced at Ban, seeing his vengeful, glaring eyes tracking Paul. Shido stopped Hevn, whispering into her ear. "So, what color are Paul's eyes?"

 

Hevn seemed to consider for a moment, then whispered into Shido's ears.

 

"Oh, interesting," Shido said out loud. "I'd never have thought that Paul would have that particular eye-color, but it would look pretty damn good, now that I think about it." Shido and Hevn watched as Ban's head snapped up and he fixed a Mido Ban Glare 'O' Death ™ on them, and laughed.

 

Since then, Ban had been hounding Shido to find out what Hevn told him.

 

"Come on, tell me! What did she tell you?" Ban was looking impatient, and had a tone of voice that most cops interrogating a suspect would get.

 

"She told me, gurgle mmphmarshin."

 

Ban gaped at him. "You're kidding, yes?"

 

"Nope. That's exactly what she told me."

 

"I hate you, Fuyuki Shido. I hate you with a passion with every fiber of my being."

 

"Not much there to hate with, eh Snake Bastard?"

 

"Asshole."

 

 

~ Ende~

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

*And now, a lesson with Prof. Pixagi and her assistant Prof. Mido.

 

Pixagi: :: dressed up in a black women's pants suit holding her trusty laser pointer :: Here's something you won't learn in Global History…

 

Ban: :: dresses in a **pinstriped suit also holding a laser pointer. ::  The tale of Medusa goes much farther back then the Ancient Greek Myth of her existence. Her origins are in Libya, Africa, where she was originally the most renowned queen of a tribe of Libyan female warriors called the Gorgons who resembled the Greek Amazons in many ways. :: is pointing at Libya on the world map ::

 

Pixagi: Exactly. In fact, they were most likely one of the main adversaries of the Amazons. If my research is correct, she was queen at the same time the Amazon queen Hippolyta was in power. Of course, Libyan men didn't like the idea of powerful human women, so they decided she must've been some type of goddess or super-human being. As in Greek Mythology, where Medusa has a direct connection to Athena, Goddess of War, Wisdom and Strategy (Note: Medusa is Greek for sovereign, feminine, wisdom.), as is she in Libyan mythology. Medusa was, in some myths, indeed either Athena (Or Athe-ena in the original Libyan myths.) or a moon goddess of War.

 

Ban: The myth that Emishi speaks of: "Well there's that, and then there's a few older myths about her. One that said she wore a veil to cover her eyes because if you looked into them you'd see your death, because you'd see your future and all future's end in death." Is talking of her as Athena

 

Pixagi: Yarsh…er I believe that's an early Greek myth, you know, before all the female Gods became demi-gods and monsters.

 

Ban: Not ALL of them are low-level gods. I mean, look at the 12 Olympians. Athena, she a friggin' war goddess-

 

Pixagi: And a pacifist.

 

Ban: Aphrodite-

 

Pixagi: Goddess of lust and adultery.

 

Ban: Hestia-

 

Pixagi: :: narrows her eyes at him and talks in a low, mono-toned, level voice with that 'dead' look on her face :: The Virgin Goddess of Hearth and Home.

 

Ban: Er… right… Hera

 

Pixagi: … You mean the Goddess of Marriage and Jealousy who married her brother?

 

Ban: You're starting to sound like a feminist…

 

Pixagi: Don't worry Ban-kun, I won't bare my teeth at you and start hissing at you like some Female Supremacist. That's the job for would-befeminists. <3 :: spackles at him ::

 

Ban: Isn't spackling something you do to a roof?

 

Pixagi: Nooo, silly Ban-kun. Spackling is what you sayyou're doing when you push people off a roof.

 

Ban: Ah… :: inches away from her ::