GetBackers Fan Fiction ❯ Lesson ❯ Lesson ( One-Shot )

[ A - All Readers ]

Lesson
 
 
 
Thread is weak.
 
“Look, darling, feel the thread.”
 
Kazuki did so, chubby childish fingers stroking over cotton, watching his mama lift another thin length to his eyelevel, and mimicked the move.
 
“That's right, now, pull.”
 
Kazuki did so, and the thread came apart, little light fluff floating for a moment. He watched his mother take some more strands, and twist them together, saying, “By itself, it is weak. Together, like this,” she pulled, but the thread stayed whole, “it is strong.”
 
She smiled, watching her son take the twisted strands and tug, trying over again and realizing it did not break. Kazuki appeared to consider this.
 
“By yourself, you are usable, but must always be careful not to overextend yourself, but with others, you can do almost anything.”
 
“Like cloth?”
 
“And fighting, darling. When you begin to fight, it will always be advisable to have someone else with you, to strengthen you.” Her eyes glowed, a quiet personal joke and carefully imparted wisdom peeking from demure lids.
 
Thread is strong.
 
Kazuki remembers many lessons, but this sticks in his mind the most. He remembers it along with the time he asked Toshiki to join him, the time the string master first laid eyes on Raitei, and the many occasions he has walked and watched in tandem with others.
 
With others, you can achieve anything.
 
Kazuki is sometime ashamed and sometimes amused to remember that the first time he put it into practice, Jubei helped him steal cookies from the kitchen. He still remembers his mother's face, scrunching up in laughter, at his (then) self-proclaimed bodyguard's self-important “I HELPED!”
 
He still remembers ambushes in Mugenjou, the desperate race for the IL, and the feel of allies at his back.
 
With others, Kazuki has accomplished something.
 
Kazuki thinks his mother would be proud.
 
-end-
 
First GB fic, be gentle.