GetBackers Fan Fiction ❯ Witch Hunt ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Warning! This chapter contains spoilers to the Kami no Kijutsu arc in the manga.

Witch Hunt

Chapter five

Ban looked Ginji straight in his eyes and prepared to strike. But the look in the boy's eyes made him hesitate. His eyes were so big, anxious and at the same time trusting. Trust? Was it really trust he saw? Why would that puppy-eyed kid trust him? If he was, it was only for the worse for him. The easier the kill would be. Again he concentrated for the final blow, and again Ginji's eyes disturbed him. Ban swore to himself. Why did he hesitate? He had promised Toriyoshi-sama he would kill Amano so why didn't he? Ban had no fear he wouldn't have the skill or wasn't strong enough. Killing the kid was a simple thing. Still something held him back.

Ban tried to think. Was there a reason for him not to kill this guy yet? Maybe his subconscious knew something he didn't? Like Amano would tell him something more, or show him something? Maybe even meet that Shido-guy. Yeah, that must be it. There must be something more he was supposed to find out. It was for the best if he waited to kill Amano until later.

Ginji was standing beside Ban wondering about his friend. Even for being under a spell he looked so strange. For a moment the ice in his eyes left him, then it was back. It disappeared again, and came back. It seemed to Ginji as Ban was struggling with something inside him. Maybe his memory was on the edge of returning?

"Ban-chan," he said, hesitating.

"Call me Midou-san!" Once again his jaw was hit by Ban's fist.

This time Ginji didn't fall, though, he only staggered a few steps backwards. No, Ban-chan wasn't back, but the expression he had caught in Ban's eyes the moment he was hit; it must have been frustration. Ginji wished he knew why Ban was frustrated. Was there something inside his partner trying to remember things, or was he just pissed off because Ginji didn't call him Midou-san?

Ban was angry. He wished he could kill this brat immediately, but he was sure there must be a good reason for why he couldn't. Shit, but the kill would have to wait until he found out everything.

"Are you taking me to the car, or not?" he asked irritably. Amano had talked about a car. There was a chance that the answers were there at the car.

"Yeah… yeah." Ginji turned his eyes away from Ban. He could hardly stand it anymore.

They began their walk again. Ginji was trying to calm himself by telling him he would get Ban-chan back as soon as he could get him to Maria. It actually helped some. Ginji felt his muscles relax and he started to feel a little less anxious for the first time in a long while. As soon as they found the car he would convince Ban to drive to Maria and everything would be fine. Wherever the car was...

Ginji was getting more and more uncertain. Trying to find his way through the forest was probably a very bad idea. He should at least have followed the road even if not on the road. If he must be honest to himself he thought this might be the wrong way. Might? Yes, that was honest, he thought sarcastically. He was lost, that's the truth. It was most definitely the wrong way. He didn't even know in which direction the road was.

"Where is that damned car?" asked Ban. He was getting more and more annoyed. Not to mention frustrated. Inside him two sides fought; one said 'kill the worthless brat now, that was your order', the other said 'wait until you're sure'. If he only knew why he wasn't sure already.

"Oh, just a little further," Ginji assured Ban, answering his question. He must find it quickly now, or maybe Ban would leave him out here, or even beat him up for getting them lost. This Ban wasn't one he could trust. To tell the truth he couldn't really imaging Ban really hurting him; but he knew he shouldn't trust him. Ban-chan, come back. I need you. He wondered if Ban still could use the snakebite, or the Jagan for that matter, or if he had forgotten those abilities. The attacks he had used before on him had been regular attacks even if they had been very fast and strong.

They reached a small lake. Ginji knew for sure he hadn't seen it before. With a sigh he walked out on a small cliff, looking out over the water, wondering what he should do now.

"You're lost, aren't you?" Ban smirked. "As I presumed, you're worthless."

Ban's words hurt. Ginji knew Ban said them because of the spell, but what if this was his real feelings and the spell only made him express what he wouldn't say otherwise? Maybe Ban really thought he was useless? No - sure he had a bad sense of direction, but Ban-chan had showed his trust in him in a number of times. He mustn't let his uncertainty take a hold on him.

If he could find a way to break the spell on Ban right now, then Ban could tell him the way to the Ladybug. Maybe if Ban became very, very angry? If he was prepared for it, it was possible he could overpower Ban. Or maybe if…

"So I'm the useless one, am I?" Ginji said. "You're the one sitting in the room in the cellar doing nothing while I completed what I was supposed to do." A little cryptically, but the truth without saying too much. "What have you done for anyone? Nothing, but I do what I have said I would do. You're worthless, not me."

While Ginji was talking Ban slowly approached him with a dangerous look. That was what Ginji had hoped for and he carefully put himself in position. He tried to look calm and pretended he didn't notice that Ban's anger was rising. This wouldn't have fooled Ban-chan, but apparently Midou-san wasn't aware of Ginji's manipulation.

"You say I'm lost." Ginji continued to infuriate Ban. "Well, I'm not. This lake was my real goal. Our boss told me to get you here first." Ginji didn't know where he got all these lies, but suddenly he could come up with a lot of stuff that maybe, at least in his own ears, even sounded believable. He hoped it would raise Ban's anger enough. "That's right. Our boss. I wasn't supposed to tell you because you are not trusted. You are a brain-washed doll, worthless, useless and not needed!"

At this, Ban, the anger taking the better out of him, thrusted himself at Ginji. Ginji, very much expecting the attack, got a grip on Ban's arm, managed to avoid getting caught by him, and at the same time turned around and in one floating motion send Ban flying into the water.

Please, let this make Ban-chan snap out of it. Please, pretty please…

Ginji watched as Ban slowly raised from the water, lifting his eyes to look at Ginji. His eyes were filled with rage... and hatred.

"Bloody bastard. I'll make you regret this." Ban spat as he ascended from the lake, dripping wet. "You'll cry for mercy before I'm done, and then we'll see who's the worthless one, babyface!"

Again Ban lounged himself at Ginji. This time it was a more planned attack, and he landed on top of him. As he fell, Ginji immediately realized that this time Ban used another fighting strategy. A strategy that wasn't like him at all. Except for when they did it for fun. This fight was more wrestling than punches, but Ban was incredibly strong and Ginji had to fight hard to be able to defend himself at the same time as he tried to figure out a new plan. If he could defeat Ban that was.

Ginji's mind was working hard as he wrenched himself free from Ban's left arm, which was trying to bend his right arm behind his back. Should he charge his electricity on Ban? At the moment it was a little difficult to concentrate enough to do that, but maybe later, if he had the chance. He managed to come lose from Ban's attempt to strangle him before Ban had got a good grip. Breaking a spell, breaking a spell...

Ginji panted, it was hard to wrestle a furious Ban and at the same time try to think. He also knew from their playful wrestling games that in this kind of fighting Ban had much better techniques than him, and it seemed like he was about to remember them as the fight continued. If he didn't defeat Ban very soon, Ginji knew he wasn't going to.

Something suddenly appeared in his mind. When they were involved in the Kami no Kijutsu incident, Toshiki had been awakened by Ban with a kiss. The circumstances wasn't at all the same, but maybe it would work this time anyway. In the fairytales the princess could be released from the spell with a kiss too. It wasn't much but it was worth a try.

Their wrestling made them roll over and over, and the next time Ginji found himself on top of Ban, his desperation for trying this new idea made him get a good strong grip on Ban's wrists, pinning him to the ground. He looked down at Ban's infuriated face. Knowing he didn't have much time before Ban would break free he bent over and touched Ban's lips with his own. First it was a very slight brush of lips against lips, but when he felt Ban tense under him he deepened the kiss, before it was too late.

Ban didn't move; his eyes showed shock, but he didn't move. Instead, he closed his eyes after a little while; the tension in his body disappeared and he responded to Ginji's kiss.

When he opened his eyes again he looked straight into Ginji's eyes, smiling gently.

"I love when you wake me up like that, Ginji."

Ginji's relief was so great he almost choked. "Ban-chan! You're back!" He let go of Ban's wrists.

Ban looked confused, and took his eyes from Ginji to look at the surroundings. "Oi, what happened? Dammit, where are we?"

"You don't remember, Ban-chan?" He got off Ban and sat down beside him.

Ban tried to think, still lying on the ground. "We were supposed to retrieve this Seikon, right? Wait, a minute, you were going to lure all the guards to catch you and I... Damn, what happened next? I was waiting in the room, and then... this old woman was behind me, and... she..."

If Ban hadn't already been lying down he would have sunk to the ground, as everything that had happened came back to him. He remembered clearly everything he had said and done since that witch had caught him. Toriyoshi-sama's loyal servant… he felt sick.

"Hell, what did she do to me?" Ban rose; infuriated with himself he punched a treetrunk with his fist, making a crack in the quite big tree. He lent his head against the tree collecting his thoughts. Breathing heavily he then turned to look at Ginji. He had been ordered to kill his best friend and he had wanted to do it. That was the worst part of it; he could remember how he had been filled with joy at the prospect of killing Ginji! How could he ever make it up to him?

"Ginji…" There was hesitation in Ban's voice. Apologizing wasn't easy for him, and an apology was still much too little, compared to how he felt. But what he would say or do instead he didn't know. He stuck to: "I'm sorry, Ginji."

Ginji's smile was as bright as a summer's day. "It's okay, Ban-chan. You weren't quite yourself. I'm just so happy you're back."

Ban knew Ginji never would blame him for this. He wasn't sure he could forgive himself, though. That witch… His anger was rising again at the thought of the one who had done this to him and his partner. If he had her here at this moment he would gladly do to her what she had ordered him to do to Ginji.

He made an effort to calm himself. "At least you got me out of there." Dammit, he wasn't supposed to make these kinds of mistakes. Shit, shit, shit.

"What about the Seikon, Ginji? You still have it, don't you?"

Ginji beamed as he presented the box from his pocket. "Look Ban-chan, I took it from the safe, before I searched for you. I reckoned you wanted me to get it first."

"Damned true, I did. We're professionals - the GetBackers, with one hundred percent success rate, right? It wouldn't do if we couldn't retrieve one simple little ball." He smiled at his partner, sure of that Ginji would understand that this was his way of telling Ginji he was grateful, and relieved he didn't have to go back to the Motohashis' house again.

Ginji handed the box over to Ban. "Here, have a look."

Ban took it and was overwhelmed with a repulsive feeling. Instead of opening it he quickly handed it back to Ginji.

"Shit," he spat. "What the hell is that damned thing! Don't you feel anything, when you touch this?"

Ginji frowned. "Well yeah, I guess I do. What do you feel?"

Ban glared at the box, looking disgusted. "I'm not sure, but there is something really bad about that box, or rather what's in it. Have you opened it?"

"Sure. It's the Seikon, alright." He opened the box. "Look."

"No!" Ban said more fiercely than intended. "Actually, I don't want to come near that thing. Close the damned box!"

Ginji immediately closed the lid and hatched it. "Is that why you didn't open the box yourself?"

Ban looked at the box in Ginji's hands.

"Yeah, I guess. I don't even wanna look at it, it feels sort of... evil. What is it you feel?"

Ginji gave it some thought. "It's more like a warning of danger. Not so much that I can't look at it. But it makes me wonder what our clients are going to do with this ball."

Ban nodded. "And whatever they're going to do with it, they're gonna do it together with a knife called the 'Sacrificer'."

"Ban-chan, are you sure we have to hand over this Seikon to our client?"

"We must. That's what retrieval specialists do. We can't see the whole picture if we don't have all the pieces of the puzzle, remember?" But things Toriyoshi had said came back to him as he talked.

"Ginji, there might be human sacrifices involved. I think we should hang around after we've done the delivery to see what's happening."

"Human sacrifices!" Ban could see Ginji was most upset. "No, they can't! Why do you think they will sacrifice humans?"

Ban told him what he have heard. "The Motohashis are going to carry out a ritual in ten years, and to that ritual they want the guy who took the Sacrificer, that is the Monkey Trainer, to sacrifice him."

"Shido!" Ginji gasped. They're going to sacrifice Shido?"

"Yeah," Ban admitted. "But not yet. In ten years, they said. We'll have plenty of time to warn him. Don't worry, if the Monkey Trainer knows about it he can take care of himself."

"Yeah, I guess." Ginji knew Ban had a point but couldn't help still looking worried.

Ban left the subject and continued. "We already know that the Demuras are going to hold a ritual very soon. It's possible they'll sacrifice human beings too."

"Alright," Ginji nodded seriously. "We'll stay and find out what they're going to do. They can't get away with murdering people."

Silently he put the box back in his pocket. Ban decided to ease up the mood a little.

"So, Ginji. You took the lead, got lost, threw me in the lake and finally kissed me. Good job," he said teasingly. "But the next time, I'll be on top."

Ginji blushed a little.

Ban laughed. "Come on. I'll lead you to the Ladybug. You weren't that wrong, I say we're only about half a kilometer from where we parked it."

Together they headed for the car. Ginji was very upbeat. His plan had worked, the kiss had got him Ban-chan back, and he was more than happy to let Ban lead again. But Ban looked so serious and was very quiet. Ginji frowned.

"Ban-chan?" Ginji wanted to break Ban's mood. Even if he preferred this to the spellbound Ban, he still wanted to talk to him. It wasn't good if Ban started to brood too much on what had happened. Better that they talked about it and got it out. "Do you remember anything of what Toriyoshi said to you when she had put the spell on you?"

Ban looked up but didn't say anything and Ginji wasn't sure he was going to answer at all. He didn't want to push his friend, though, so he just gave him an encouraging smile to let him know it was alright to talk about it.

It took them about ten minutes to reach the Subaru and Ban had still not said a word. This worried Ginji a little but just as he had decided to start talking himself, Ban broke the silence.

"I remember everything." he said in a low voice, standing outside the car. Apparently he saw that this tone of voice worried Ginji because he immediately let his face show the smile Ginji loved most. "Is there anything in particular you wanna know?"

"Yeah." There was especially one thing Ginji had to know. "Why didn't anybody care that I was back in the house to get you? I mean the door wasn't locked, there were no guards and still they must have understood that I was coming back for you, or at least they should have made some precautions if I was coming back."

Ban found he couldn't meet Ginji's eyes. In that seemingly simple question lay the revelation to things he'd rather never talk about. But for Ginji's sake he had to answer the question, and not briefly but with details and giving answers to all following questions too. He owed Ginji that much. He kept his voice as normal as possible; Ginji had the right to know but Ban wasn't going to break down in front of his partner.

"They didn't care because the witch had told me to follow you if you showed up. She wanted me to find out if you knew anything about the guy who took the Sacrificer. In case you didn't want to tell me I should have brought you back to her." Ban silenced. This was the hardest part. He took a deep breath and forced himself to look into Ginji's eyes. "When you had told me everything you knew I was ordered to kill you. And I was going to do it."

Ginji looked back, giving him a gentle smile. "No, you weren't, Ban-chan"

Ban was surprised. "Yes I was. I'm very glad I didn't, but I was going to kill you."

"Then why didn't you?"

"Because maybe you were going to tell me something more." Now when he said it, it didn't sound very believable, though. He had been ready to do the killing and the reason why he didn't was only excuses. But why had he made these excuses?

Ginji looked as he knew exactly what Ban was thinking, and Ban was pretty sure he interpreted that look correct. Ginji had the ability to know the way he was thinking better than Ban knew himself.

"I wasn't going to tell you anything more, and I had told you so." Ginji eyes shone like the sun as he teased Ban with a big, happy smile: "Sometimes you're the stupid one, Ban-chan. Deep inside you knew it was me you were trying to kill, not even the spell could make you do it." There was a certainty in his voice that Ban envied him. How come his partner had that everlasting trust? Ban knew he wouldn't have trusted himself if he had been in the same position as Ginji had been.

Ban tried to look unaffected, but he doubted it fooled his partner. "Well, anyway, as I said, I'm glad I didn't."

And the small tremble in Ginji's quick reply made Ban really see how much he had been missed by his friend. "And I'm glad you're back, Ban-chan."

Their eyes met again and Ban knew that as far as Ginji concerned, everything was alright and that everything Ban had said and done while under the spell had been forgiven the moment he was back to normal.

Ban took out his keys; luckily no one had thought of taking any of his belongings away from him. Toriyoshi probably never thought that would be necessary. He opened the doors to the small car and they seated themselves. Ginji immediately reached for the map, unfolded it, and made an effort to understand it.

"We're here." He pointed at a spot on the map. "And the client lives here." He pointed at another spot, looking happy he had found it. "It's much shorter through the woods this time too, Ban-chan."

"Yeah. But I don't want to walk all the way back after we've delivered the box."

"No, me neither. But the road goes back quite a long way before it turns back to our client's home."

"Um. I know, I know. But I'm still going by car. Are you coming or are you going for a walk? I can pick you up after I delivered the ball and received the money." He looked disgusted at the box. That might be a bad idea. Ban could hardly look at the small box, much less hold it. Fortunately Ginji didn't want to take a lonely walk through the forest.

"Ban-chan... Now you're being stupid again. Of course I'll go with you, in the car."

Ban held back a smile. It wasn't often his friend called him stupid, and now twice in just a short period of time.

"Let's go then." He started the engine and drove out from the forest back to the road.

"Ginji…," there was one more thing he needed to say before he would try to forget this whole thing.

"What, Ban-chan?" Ginji sounded so satisfied. Maybe he shouldn't say anything after all? Yes, he needed to say it. He knew this must have hurt Ginji the most of all.

"Next time I tell you to call me Midou-san; just hit me hard on the head and drag me off, will you?"

Ginji laughed. "Isn't it better I kiss you right away, Ban-chan?"

It was Ban's turn to blush.

TBC