GetBackers Fan Fiction ❯ Witch Hunt ❯ Chapter 8 ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Well, I've reached the ending I had in mind when I started this story. During the writing process the story has stretched out and become so much more, and there are now room for more action. So let's just say this is the end of part 1, and hopefully I'll write a part 2 or a sequel. Unfortunately that must wait until later. I have other writing plans at the moment, but I hope to come back to this adventure eventually.

Witch Hunt

Chapter eight

Was it the Monkey Trainer in that tree? Ban couldn't really believe it. Partly because he didn't seem to be able to think straight and he couldn't find any reason why that bastard would be there, and partly because he wasn't sure he could believe his own eyes; his head still felt dizzy. He blinked and looked again. Oh, yes it was.

The Monkey Trainer, heh. Well, if he could get Ginji out of here alive, Ban would swallow his pride just this once. Ban could feel Ginji's body against his back, but he hadn't moved at all since the blood drinking had begun. He wasn't sure whether Ginji had passed out or just was too weak to do anything at all, but with their backs together like this he could feel his partner's breathing so at least he knew Ginji was still alive.

Shido looked at Midou, considering. The Snake Bastard looked a little unfocused but he still had the usual arrogant look in his eyes and it was clear he hadn't given up hope of rescue. Whether that hope never had left him or if it came back when he saw Shido, the Beast Master couldn't tell, and he really didn't care. It was good if Midou had the will to fight. Shido had to admit he wasn't sure he could do this all by himself, not with that magic using woman standing in the center, and his animal friends too afraid to enter the clearing. He hoped Midou had strength enough to lend him a hand in this; if he could get him free.

Help from Ginji was probably out of the question. But at least there was no smell of death from his former emperor. Shido was glad he had the ability to sense that, or he would have been really worried, cause with Ginji's body hanging limp like this and his skin so pale he didn't look alive.

The girls had said that Midou had been held by a spell before they painted his body with those symbols. As far as Shido could understand of what he had heard, that would mean the blood symbols on Midou's body was what held back the Snake Bastard's power. If he could wash the symbols off, maybe Ban would regain his powers. Shido couldn't think of anything else and he needed to be quick about whatever he would do, because now Demura took the big knife that lay on the other table and lifted it above her head.

"It is time to do the first sacrifice! May Yami be pleased with the pure hearted one, the twin of light." She turned to face Ginji. Shigeru joined her with the bottle from which Demura had given Ginji something to drink earlier, took a grip of his hair and pulled his head backwards, pouring the liquid into his mouth. Ginji swallowed by instinct and was thus forced to awaken.

Shido saw Midou struggle helplessly with the ropes tying him to the gate. He knew how Midou would feel at the moment and could well understand the angry glares towards the tree where he sat. They clearly said: 'You bastard, come and help your emperor, like now!'

At that moment Shido acted. By the pond stood the bucket used at the cleaning ritual. Shido climbed down the tree quickly, but silently as a cat, and just as silently sneaked to the pond. He was glad the whole family were very much focused on Demura and the sacrifice right now. The Beast Master managed to fill the bucket with water from the pond. Crouching, he encircled the Demura clan without being seen, all eyes were on the old witch and Ginji, till he found a spot where he had a clear way to Midou. A clear way as soon as he had passed the circle of people, that was. The bucket was heavy and he had to run through the circle to Midou without loosing too much of the water, but it was his only chance. And he had to hurry, Demura lifted the knife in order to slice Ginji's throat.

Shido ran. There was a small opening between two women in the circle, he leapt into the gap, pushing them aside, another leap took him to Midou - on his way pushing the old witch away from Ginji - where he poured the cold water over the Snake Bastard's head and started to rub his body with his hands to clean off the symbols.

First everybody looked petrified, the only sound heard was Midou's angry voice. "What the hell are you doing, you bastard!"

"Shut up, I'm helping you. Got it, moron?" Shido said behind gritted teeth as he continued to move his hands over Midou's body. Shit, he hated this, and he could see the Snake Bastard didn't enjoy the action more than he did.

Expecting an attack from the grown men in the tribe, he kept his senses aware of them all, not to let anyone of them take him by surprise; but the attack that came was not the expected one. His back was at the old witch the moment Demura threw the Sacrificer at him and he knew the knife had done some serious injury before he slid down to the ground unconscious.

But his efforts had paid off. Ban had, as soon as the shock of having the Monkey Trainer's hands all over him, realized his powers were back. It was true he was weaker than usual since he too had lost a lot of blood, but the hell that was going to stop him. Without too much trouble he managed to break free.

The men, women and children of the Demura family attacked him. He didn't have any problem with fighting them off; he was determined to get that old Demura hag, but she was nowhere to be seen. He cast a glance at Ginji to see how he was, and found him awake, his partner met his eyes with a look that said, 'I knew you would make it'.

Ban reached for Ginji's ropes to untie him when he froze. Seemingly appearing from nowhere, the head of the Demura family stood beside him. She had somehow retrieved the Sacrificer from Shido's body and was now holding it against Ginji's throat. At the same time she held Ban's eyes caught and he could not use his Jagan, and not attack her. Fuck that old witch!

"Go back and let Shigeru tie you up again." Her voice was strained like it took all she had to keep him from attacking her. "Or else I'll slit your partner's throat here and now."

Ban saw a glimpse of Ginji's eyes in the corner of his own. "Don't do it, Ban-chan. She'll kill me anyway." Ginji's voice was calm and Ban knew his friend was trying to assure him it would be the right thing to do, leaving Ginji there to save his own life.

"I know, Ginji." Damn. What could he do? He couldn't just wait until the hag's power to hold him off was worn out. She would cut Ginji's throat long before that. And letting himself be caught again would just lead to his own death beside Ginji's. Still, he couldn't run away, leaving Ginji here to face this alone. Hell, he didn't know what to do.

There was a swooping sound. Or many of them to be precise. The Sacrificer was suddenly drawn out of Demura's hand and only a couple of seconds later both she and all of her family were tied up by thin strings. Ban turned and looked at Kazuki.

"Thread spool? What are you doing here?"

Kazuki smiled gently at Ban. He knew better than to expect some sort of gratitude from him.

"It looks like I'm saving your life," he couldn't resist saying.

Ban glared at him but hurried to untie Ginji and help him lay down to rest a bit, while Kazuki kneeled beside Shido.

"How're you doing, Ginji?" Ginji was pale in his arms but his eyes smiled at him with genuine happiness. Ban's heart was pounding; hell, this had been a close call.

"I'm just fine, Ban-chan." Ginji answered weakly but happily, pulling Ban's arms closer around him. " Really I am. But what about you?"

Ban snorted, but wasn't able to keep away the tender smile from his face. "Nothing's wrong with me, idiot. It's you I'll always have to worry about." And if the Monkey Trainer and the Thread Spool hadn't showed up… Damn. Not really wanting to admit anything, Ban couldn't look away from the fact that those two had saved Ginji's life and he was grateful. Oh, and his own life too, but that was probably only because they knew Ginji would be sad if Ban had died. Heh, at least Ginji was his now, not theirs. Unless Ginji would go back to them now when he had seen how worthless Ban had been in this case. Ban was suddenly overwhelmed by uncertainty.

Ginji only smiled again, then he turned his head towards his two other friends.

"Kazu-chan, what happened to Shido?"

Kazuki had finished patching Shido up and left him to sit beside the GetBackers instead. "He'll be alright. He's awake and even if his wound is quite bad it's not life threatening. Juubei can take care of him when we're back, before we take him to Madoka. How are you, Ginji-san?"

Ginji sat up. "Fine. But how come you two are here?"

"Yeah. I'd like to know that too." Ban said grumpily.

Kazuki smiled. "It's a long story. I'll tell it to you on our way back to the cars."

He left them and returned a minute later with their clothes.

"I went first to the mansion to search for you. The only things I considered to be of any value were your clothes though. I brought them in case you needed them." He handed over the bundle with a teasing smile. "I guess you do need them."

"Thanks, Kazu-chan. It's a little uncomfortable like this," Ginji admitted and took the clothes.

Ban muttered something and dressed himself. Ginji was weak but with shaking hands he tried to get dressed. The dressing didn't went very well and Ban took his clothes from him.

"Fool, you can't do it like that. I'll help you." With very gently hands he helped Ginji put on his clothes, carefully doing his best to avoid touching any of the many wounds on his best friend's body. He kneeled behind Ginji, helping him with the vest, and forgetting Kazuki's presence, he couldn't resist a light stroke on the blond's neck. Ginji… I almost lost you. Not realizing he had said those words aloud, he started as Ginji took his hand in his own and whispered almost to quiet to hear: "And I almost lost you, Ban-chan."

Ban squeezed his partner's hand and at the same time saw a glimpse of Kazuki from the corner of his eye and realized the slender man was still there. He looked up, irritated, and found Kazuki watching the two of them with an amused smile.

"What are you fucking staring at, Thread Spool," Ban demanded.

Kazuki only laughed softly and Ban didn't push the question, because Ginji, giving Ban's hand a last squeeze then let go, at the same time managed to rise and walk the few steps to went to sit by Shido.

"Shido, are you alright?"

"Just fine. What about you?"

"Oh, I'm fine, too."

Kazuki and Ban stood beside them.

"Shido, Kazu-chan. Thank you, you saved our lives." Ginji beamed at the two former kings.

Ban felt like he was going to choke. What the hell, Ginji was right, but dammit if he was going to tell them.

Shido grunted something in response to Ginji's thanks.

"You're welcome, Ginji-san." Kazuki smiled, more verbal than the Beast Master.

"Thank you, too, Ban-chan. You did a good job until the witch stuck the knife onto my throat." Ginji looked gratefully at his partner.

Ban made a sound very similar to the one Shido had made. Maybe Ginji didn't find him worthless after all? At least his gratitude seemed real.

"We better leave now." Kazuki said. "Shido, you lean on me. Midou-kun, you help Ginji-san."

Ban didn't really like the bossy tone in Kazuki's voice but he was too shaken to find a good response. Before they left there was one more thing that needed to be done, though. He left the others, went to the old witch and bent down at her side.

"What did you do, Ban-chan?" Ginji asked curiously, when he came back.

"Tell you later," was all Ban said.

"What about all these people?" Ginji turned to Kazuki and gestured at all the Demuras lying tied up on the ground.

Kazuki didn't even cast them a glance. "Oh, they will come free in about three hours."

---

They slowly progressed through the forest along the path to reach the mansion where they had left the Ladybug. During their walk, Kazuki, with some help from Shido, told them all about why they were there.

When Ginji learned Kazuki had cancelled an importing meeting for his sake - it was Shido who brought that up - in spite of his weak condition, he left Ban's helping hands and flung himself around Kazuki's neck.

"Kazu-chan, you're the best!"

Ban tightened his lips and trying to look like he only was helping Ginji to walk; he took away his partner's arms from the Thread Spool and put it back around his own shoulders. Ban saw the Monkey Trainer smirked, but fortunately for him, he didn't say anything.

Kazuki could only smile his usual smile to Ginji. He had really wanted to meet that man, but his loyalty to Ginji was too strong. It had only taken him a few minutes after Shido had left for him to realize that. By then it was already too late to take the same bus as Shido, and the next bus didn't leave for another three hours, so Kazuki had went to Madoka's house. Madoka wasn't anywhere near as fragile as Shido sometimes seemed to think, and Kazuki had told her more about what he and Shido were going to do than Shido had done.

That way he could borrow a car from her and had been able to reach the destination only a short time after Shido. It had taken him a little longer to find the clearing Shido had talked about, after he had made sure they were no longer in the house. And it turned out he was just in time. He had reached it at the same moment as Shido poured water over Ban.

"There was an invisible barrier to keep humans from the clearing," Shido recalled. "How did you get through it?"

Kazuki frowned. "There was no barrier, when I got there. Maybe you did something when you entered the circle that undid it?"

Shido vaguely remembered how he happened to thrust into a small bar with paper strips hanging down from it, making it fall over and being crushed under his feet as he rushed from the pond to get to Midou with the water as quickly as possible. "Yeah, maybe," he said.

They reached the gate in the fence and passed it. The house was quiet. Everyone was back at the clearing, so no one disturbed them as they walked to the Ladybug. Ban immediately took the seat behind the wheel, leaving Kazuki to help Shido into the back seat. Ginji of course sat beside Ban in front.

"Don't you dare make my car all bloody, you damned monkey." Ban glared at Shido.

"Dump me on the road if you want, Snake Bastard. I don't care." Shido glared back just as viciously.

Ban only muttered something inaudible but didn't say or do anything else. He could hardly throw the guy out no matter how filthy his car might be of his blood. After all, that Monkey Trainer did help save their lives. He guessed he owed him a ride to the Thread Spool's borrowed car at least.

Kazuki had parked the car a little further from the house on one side of the road. He and Shido left the Ladybug to drive back home in Madoka's car.

"Are you sure you're alright? You don't need any help with him, Kazu-chan?" Ginji asked.

Shido grunted. "You just take care of yourself, Ginji."

"I don't need any help, Ginji-san. We'll be alright, do as Shido said and tend to yourself for a while."

Ginji beamed at him. "I will. And thanks again guys. I'm really glad having friends like you."

As the other two got seated in their car, Ginji turned to Ban who was sitting looking miserably at the blood stains one of his own cuts had made as it re-opened when he drove.

"Ban-chan, what if they come back for us? The Demuras, I mean?"

Shido had told them about the conversation he had overheard, and together with Kazuki's knowledge they had told them that the ritual had to be done before one year had passed or else the Demuras would become mere mortals again.

"They may be hunting us for another year or so, Ban-chan." Ginji sighed. "At least we're prepared now. I guess we could go ask Maria too, if she knows what to do about them."

Ban smirked. "It won't be necessary." From under his shirt he presented a big knife - the Sacrificer - in its sheath. "You asked me what I did before we left the clearing, well, they can't do the ritual without the knife and the ball. And I couldn't bear to come close to the Seikon, so I stole this."

He put the knife in Ginji's lap. "You take this while I drive."

Ginji took up the knife. "What are you going to do with it, Ban-chan?"

Ban shrugged. "I don't know. It's not a good idea to keep it in the Ladybug." Reluctantly he said: " Probably it'll be best to let Maria take care of it."

"Probably is." Ginji nodded. "It was good you took it, Ban-chan. I don't wanna be in their hands again. We didn't even have a chance to fight. They didn't have much sense for fair play, did they?"

Ban snorted. "Do they ever?"

"Ban-chan?" What was that? Why did Ginji sound like that? Like, expectantly?

"Yeah," he answered slowly.

"When we hung there, you told me you were sorry, because you couldn't come up with anything, right?"

"Yeah." A careful answer. Where was this leading to?

"Right after that, before the old witch did something to you and I think you passed out for a while, you started to say something. What was that?"

Ginji remembered that? All he had been able to say way was 'Gin…'.

"Did I say something? I don't remember. It was all kind of dizzy at that time." Ban sighed inwards. He really had to learn how to lie to Ginji. Not that he wanted to lie that much, but sometimes little white lies were more… convenient. And it was so hard to fool that guy. Ban knew the moment the words were out of his mouth, Ginji wouldn't believe it. Could it be that he actually wanted Ginji to hear what he had to say, and his subconscious therefore didn't let him lie in a believable way?

As expected Ginji protested. "Yes, you did. And you do remember. Tell me!"

Ban cast a glance at his partner. No, Ginji was more than his partner. Letting go of the steering wheel with his left hand, he laid the arm around Ginji's neck pulling him closer. With one eye on the road he leaned towards the blond, whispering something in his ear.

Ginji's eyes opened up big and beamed at him. Smiling, he turned his head to come face to face with Ban and tenderly put his lips against Ban's in a short kiss. "And I love you, Ban-chan."

---

Next day the GetBackers had a little party at the Honky Tonk, spending all the money they had gotten in advance payment from Demura Shigeru. It had been Ginji's idea, and he had had to work real hard to get Ban to see his point.

"We owe them."

"No way."

"They saved our lives, Ban-chan!"

"Didn't ask them, too."

"We might need them again, and if we don't show our gratitude they may not be there next time."

"I seriously doubt we ever gonna need them again." And if they did, Ban knew those friends of Ginji's would be there anytime to help their emperor, whether they wanted their help or not. Just like Ban himself would be if Ginji needed him.

"But they are our friends."

"Your friends."

"Ban-chan, it'll be fun."

"Heh, fun? You're kidding, right?"

"If we treat them this time, they might treat us when we're broke."

"Won't take any charity from the Monkey Trainer and the Thread Spool."

The conversation went on like this until Ban neither could stand Ginji's nagging nor his big, brown, beautiful eyes. His eyes so full of hope, trust, promises… uh, Ban had to mentally shake himself. What were they talking about? Oh, yes, the damned party.

"Fine, fine, we'll have a party. Happy?"

"Thanks, Ban-chan!" Ginji was suddenly hanging around his neck, beaming like no one but he could and Ban knew he had lost again. But it wasn't important to win against Ginji. Somehow, every time he was defeated by Ginji it still felt like a victory.

Owari

I wonder how many of you who suspected Kazuki to save the day? Kazuki is one of my favorites, I just love him, and I haven't let him be seen in my stories very much, but this time I wanted him to make the difference.

Thanks to all my reviewers, and I hope all you who have read but not reviewed still liked it. Now I'm making a pause in GetBackers writing and instead write another Saiyuki-fic.

If you haven't yet discovered the world of Saiyuki, you've really missed something. (End of commercial.)