Ghost Hunt Fan Fiction ❯ The Haunted School ❯ Closer to the truth... ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Mai opened her eyes, not sure what happened. What she saw, was deep blue eyes looking straight at het brown ones.
“N-Naru, what are you doing?” she asked, blushing furiously.
“And what do you think?” he answered without emotion “I'm lying”
“But why on me?!” she screamed a little
“Because I prefer lying on something soft than on hard floor.” Naru said calmly and stood up. He took a flashlight, which Mai dropped and looked around. He didn't see anything suspicious and interesting. He looked down on the girl, who was now sitting on the floor.
“Did you find what you were looking for?” he asked.
Mai looked up on him very embarrassment.
“Well… you see…” she said and laughed a little “Ileftitindifferenttrousers” she said on one breath.
“You did what?” Naru looked at her and started to regret this question.
“I left it in different trousers” she said again, clearly this time, and looked down.
Dark haired boy rolled his eyes and sight. Great, now he was closing in room and he didn't know how to go out.
“Do you know how to open this door?” he asked. Mai shook her head in answer.
Naru sighed. He knew that rest of the team would free them soon, but he didn't know how long they would spent there. Of course he was happy to spent some time alone with Mai, he always dreamt about it, but not in dark, dirty and cold room without window and without exit. He looked on Mai, who was sitting on the floor with unhappy face. Naru fought with urge to hug her and make her feel better. He only sat opposite her and said.
“Don't worry, they will find us soon”
“I'm sorry Naru” she said in shaking voice, and when Naru looked on her in light of flashlight, he saw that her eyes were watery and tears was coming down her cheeks. Naru panicked a little. Usually, when she was crying, Takigawa or Ayako were near to comfort her, but now only he was with her and he didn't know what to do.
“I should remember that I left it in other trousers, but I forget and panicked and… “ she stopped when she felt two arms slowly hugged her and she found herself pressed to Naru's chest. She blushed.
“Don't cry Mai. I don't need you to break right now.” He said and let her cried on his chest. She was scared about Ayako and John, about unknown ghost hunting this school and about them, locked in secret room.
When she was crying, Naru felt something. He looked up and his eyes widened. Behind Mai was standing girl, wearing in long black dress, her neck and part of the face was covering in blood. He tightened his grip on Mai and pressed her head to his chest in case if she would want to looked back. Naru looked on girl again, in her empty eyes. She had to be one of the missing girl, according to her age. She looked on him and opened her mouth. She started to moved them. Naru shivered little. Mai was right, her voice was terrible, but he recognized the words by how she was moving her mouth.
“Protect her” she said and pointed on Mai. He felt like his heart stopped to beating. He nodded his head and the ghost disappeared.
Mai tried to looked up, but her head was pressed to Naru's chest by his hand.
“Naru?” she said and he released her, his mask again on his face. She looked up. “I remembered something. Cat said that there are second door here, but she didn't know how to opened them. Gene tried, but without results.”
“Where is it?” he asked, and they stood up. She showed him the wall with lines, which Cat had pointed them before, and Naru started to search some clue to opened them. Mai took a step back and stood on something. She bent down and picked up it.
Naru run his hand slowly through the wall, concentrate on every different line, which were there. Finally, after some time, he felt something, what were different. He clear this part of wall from dust and light on it. It was small circle with some complicated sign on it. It looks like some kind of button, but even if he tried to pushed it, it didn't work.
“Naru, I found something.” He heard Mai, and turned to her. She was holding him something what looked like old coin, with some emblem on it. He thought for a moment and pressed it to sign on the wall. It made a little sound and turned around. The door opened themselves. Behind them was stairs, which lead up and down. Naru decided, that they should go up, because down means only went to the basement, and he didn't think that it was good idea.
“Good job, Mai.” He said to the girl, who smiled in answer “Now we are able to get out from here”

Cat sighed, bored. Next to her on the table was little mountain, build from old papers. They had spent already an hour there, reading old news. Her neck grew numb from not very comfortable position on chair.
Gene was in similar state like the girl, who was sitting next to him. He felt like his legs was dead and briefly thought if he would be able to walk anytime soon. And the floor was cold. They didn't found anything what could be helpful, and the papers in chest was almost gone. It looked like they were sitting there for nothing.
“Hey, it looks like I found something.” He hard Cat, an turned to her. She was reading a paper “It's saying that there were some missing students here in 1878. Five girls and seven boys. The girls who were missing was killed by slashing their necks, and the boys was killed without mercy and had cut their legs and hands. The murder was the principal, who was running this school in this years. Before police could catch him, he committed suicide by jumping from the window of his office. The students in the school said that before he jumped he was screaming something about girls, who belongs only to him and that no one should touch them. It looks similar to this case.” She looked on him. He nodded.
“Yeah, it looks like. Take it to the base, we will show it to the others.” He stood up and winced because of pain in his legs.
“But they didn't write where the victims were find.” She added and stood up.
Cat went to the door and opened them.
“Look out on steps, you have to walk carefully.” She said to Gene who followed her all the time. He closed the door.

“Naru, are you sure that we have to go here?” Mai asked, when Naru went out from the room.
“Yes, I am” he wasn't, but Mai shouldn't know about it “Now, be quiet and go.”
Mai suddenly jumped and hugged Naru, when the door behind her closed with loud thump. When she saw what she did, she let him go and blushed. She looked down and froze. She saw some light which lighted few times and disappeared.
“Naru…” she said in shaking voice, and Naru moved before her, taking her hand and turning off the flashlight. He looked down but didn't see anything, because of dark. Suddenly, he heard two voices.
“I told you to looked on the steps. You broke the flashlight” it was female.
“It wasn't my fault that you drop it.” This time it was male, very well-known to Naru. He fired his own flashlight and light two figures, walking up the stairs. Cat, who was walking first, screamed surprised and scared and almost fell down.
“What are you doing here?” Naru asked her and his brother.
“Naru, take it down, we can't see anything” Gene said. “We were in this secret room and now we are coming back second way. Cat found something. And how did you get here? He asked, confused.
“Naru opened this door, which you were examined.” Mai said, looking from behind Naru. “It's leading here.”
Gene noticed Naru's grip on Mai's hand and smiled. Maybe this idiot would finally tell her his fillings.
“We should go out from here” Cat said. They moved and they went to the wall, which closed the stairs. Mai, who went first, tuned to Cat.
“Handle on the left.” When Mai pushed it, the wall moved on the side, and they went to the toilet, empty like now, because lessons were over and the scool was empty. They went to the base.