Ghost In The Shell Fan Fiction / Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex Fan Fiction ❯ Every Cloud has a Mechanical Lining ❯ Chapter One, S4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ A - All Readers ]

IV
All alone. Once again. The flickering of the flames in the fire place was the only source of movement in the room. Even Gabriel was now slouched in front of the fire now, lying perfectly still. I tried to clear my mind. I tried to think what my life would have been like without the Major, but everywhere I looked seemed to remind me of her. Her memory was so vibrant and fresh that there was no covering it up. I had tried so many times.
 
I threw the can Togusa had passed to me aside and stood up. I walked towards the mantle piece, sighing as I went. Gabriel sensed my movement and her ears pricked up, but soon after realised I wasn't doing anything of importance and drooped back down.
 
I reached out for a small crystal encrusted box the mantle piece held. Inside was a small rectangular watch. This was the very watch I secretly bought her many years ago. This was one of the first signs of my love towards her. This was the only remnant I have left of her. I flipped the watch over and on the back was `Maj. Motoko Kusanagi, with love.'
 
On the night of her death that name was the only sequence of words I howled out. Thousands of times. Over and over again. `Motoko' I cried out. But I knew at that point nothing was going to bring her back. To this day I still wondered if she knew it was me who had bought her this relic. I missed her. Her soft purple hair, her burning red eyes, glowing like torch flames lighting up the night sky.
 
I curled the petite watch around my fingers before lifting it towards my mouth and planting a single delicate kiss onto its face. It's a shame I never did that to the real deal when I had he chance. I sighed deeply once again before returning the watch to its abode and carefully placed it back onto the mantle piece.
 
Above it was a small Polaroid picture of me with one of my bulky arms wrapped around the Major's shoulder. We were both smiling. Her eyes stared right out of the picture and into my own. Those eyes still haunted me to this say. I winced away. The emotions started to hit the back of my throat. I made my way back over to my chair and slouched back. How I wish a cyborg could cry. It would be so much easier for me to let out of my emotions, because all they're doing now is building up inside of me and killing me from within.
 
I placed a pillow behind my head; I soon drifted off to sleep.