Loveless Fan Fiction / Gravitation Fan Fiction / Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Through The Mirror ❯ WHAT THE HECK?! ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
It was unusually quiet in the apartment as Yuki walked to the fridge to grab a beer that Saturday evening. Hanging by the handle was a picture of Shuichi that had survived his tirade. In it, he and Yuki were at the beach. Shuichi had smiled at the camera, but Yuki's attention had been directed to a blurry figure in the background. His face was set in a scowl, clutching his beloved to himself so that the stranger couldn't take him away. The memory made his eyes sting with coming tears.
Yuki flopped down on the couch and flipped on the television. There was some story on the news about a raging fire downtown. Click. Now it was a sappy soap opera. The man and the woman were glaring at each other hatefully. Suddenly, the screen went black. Two seconds later, the woman was gone. Click. It was a news story about a boy that had been missing for three days. Yuki was about to change the channel when Shuichi's picture was displayed.

"That's right, Ayameta. Mr. Shindou was last seen in Tokyo Park when a witness claims a man grabbed him by the arm and disappeared with the child in tow. The witmness is currently being tested for mental illness. In the meantime, the community will keep an eye out for our favorite rock singer." A bottle of beer smashed into the television screen and broke, but the television remained intact.

"That idiot!" Why hadn't he called him for help? Oh yeah, he was scared that the novelist would just yell at him. Jesus, why couldn't he get things right? He grabbed a tranch coat and sunglesses from the table, pocketed his wallet, and rushed out the door. In his haste, he forgot to shut the door, much less lock it.

When Shuichi woke up, he found himself in a glass vial, suspended by no gravity. The stranger was at a computer, typing in some sort of report. He kept muttering, "The key is mine... that power will be all mine...!" The pink hair couldn't move anything below his neck nor could he speak. It seemed that he had been injected with novicane or something with equal or greater strength.

Slowly, the stranger turned to give the boy a truly wicked smile, then stood up. "Oh yes. It's hard to move. I can't have you trying to escape on me, Shu. You see, you're special."

Through a haze, Shuichi managed, "special...?"

"Yes. You have a power that no one can ever compare to. However, you will never have any use for that power. Instead, I want to put it inside a clone." His smile dropped slightly when he saw Shuichi's expression. He hadn't expected the idiot to understand so quickly. He watched him struggle in vain to free himself from the spell.

"Oh, and about what I said earlier? You'll never see that stupid novelist ever again. He was the reason your powers were never realized. So give up on that silly fantasy." The man disappeared in a cloud of dust. Shuichi's heart felt like it was shattering into a million pieces. Cold shards pierced through warm family moments, tore pictures of his dear friends, and washed away every loving moment with Yuki.

'So Yuki just wanted my powers, eh? What a selfish, vain moron!' He managed a glare through the spell-induced drowsiness. Yuki could get bent if he thought he was going to keep Shuichi's still unknown powers. Resigning to another long sentence in the vial, he sat back, the glare slowly slipping off his face. What replaced it was a look of utter despair.

...
"Yes, I understand. Thank you very much." Yuki hung up. He had been calling anyone who could have a slight idea where Shuichi was. Unfortunately, no one had seen him in days. He practically threw himself on his bed and buried his face in the pillows. It was times like this that made him wonder if Shuichi was really worth all this suffering.

After lying there for a good two hours, he sat up and wiped his face. There was no way in Hades he was leaving the house looking like a heartbroken widow. His gaze wandered to the dresser. The drawers had been opened and a note lied on top of the worn out piece of furniture. He grabbed the note and brushed golden locks out of his face. What it said chilled his heart.

'To the Novelist Yuki-san,

If you're reading this note, then that means that my plan is almost complete. In less than a week, the clone Shindou will be roaming the Earth. Meanwhile, I'll be keeping the genuine one as a pet. The clone will have no recollection of you, so don't try anything stupid. In fact, I wouldn't try mending your relationship with him at all. You two were never meant to be. I wish you the best of luck trying to find someone more suited for you.

Sincerely, Fei Wong Reed

P.S. I put my name in there because you'll never figure out where I am. I don't exist in your world! Bwah hahahaha!'

Red hot rage raced through the novelist's veins as he folded the note and shoved it in his pocket. Yuki had a pretty good idea about what he was going to be doing with the note later. He looked around his spaceous apartment and frowned. As long as Shuichi remained Reed's hostage, he didn't plan on returning home.

He only planned to take the essentials. There was not to be any extra weight dragging him down. He grabbed random shirts and pants from his closet, not bothering to look at any of them as they went into the suitcase. After that came his underclothes. They went in with the same care as his other clothes. His laptop and numerous manuscripts were placed on top of the clothes, and is trusty handgun on the side.

When finished, he threw the suitcase on the couch and went to grab a large bag. He stormed into Shuichi's room, still half-hopng the idiot had simply locked himself in the guestroom for three days straight. His bed was empty, as expected. With a heavy heart, he packed mementos of his beloved. Clothes were placed with great care, pictures were covered in towels, and the stuffed bunny Ryuichi Sakuma had given Shuichi was laid on top. He zippped it up and slung it over his shoulder.

As he walked by the large window overlooking the city, he remembered the night he and Shuichi became lovers. At the entrance to the apartment, he recalled their first kiss. It seemed that the entire building held memories of the pink-haired boy. He felt a single tear slide down his face, followed by more. He braced himself against the wall and tried to contain the sobs that threatened to spill over. He failed, and Yuki fell to the ground, bawling as loudly and as much as the baka would when Yuki said something cold to him. The very thought only made Yuki cry harder.

Yuuko Ichihara was sitting in one of her plush chairs, a glass of sake in one hand. Her black hair was spread out and out of its bun, making her look even more beautiful than usual. Ruby red eyes were shut tightly as she listened to someone's uncontrolable crying. Her free hand instictively clutched at the hem of her plain ice-blue kimono. 'When Wataniki-kun returns from errands, I'll have him fetch the poor fellow,' she thought with relief. Suddenly, it hit her that Watanuki couldn't fetch a man from another demension. Sighing, she picked up the phone and dialed someone's number.

"Hello?"

"Yes, this is Yuuko. I need you to send a certain young man to the portal. You know what to do."

"Yes, madame. I'll get right on it." With that, the line went dead.