Gravitation Fan Fiction ❯ Precious Moments ❯ Chapter 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 4.

"I want that one."

"No, I want that one."

"Oooh, could I have this one."

They were currently in a store `trying' to purchase book bags. Shuichi and Tatsuha kept running around making and changing their selections. Their choices kept varying from back packs to shoulder packs, and it changed with different kinds of cartoon characters and logos. They had already been to a stationary store and bought their books and notebooks, pencils, markers and crayons. Sanjiro was standing on a side waiting patiently for them to make their selections. Yuki was standing on a side, alternating his hand movements between running them through his golden locks, and rubbing them in circular motions over his temples.

`I will not crack.'

`These two pipsqueaks will not get the better of me.'

`I am stronger than this.'

`I will survive.'

These phrases kept going over and over in his mind. He saw Tatsuha and Shuichi pass him in a pink and black blur to another aisle, and resumed rubbing his temples.

Sanjiro noticed Yuki's discomfort and decided to take pity on him. He walked over to the two boys and held up his wrist.

"All right guys. You have exactly one minute to make a selection or we are leaving this store without buying anything."

He said in a firm voice and made his way to the cash register. To Yuki's astonishment, thirty seconds later, both Tatsuha and Shuichi came up to the register with a back pack in both of their hands.

"My hero!"

Yuki nudged Sanjiro playfully with his shoulders. Sanjiro gave a loud laugh.

"Hey, I do what I can."

They paid for the bags and stepped out. Next, they went to the clothes shop. That was an experience Yuki never wanted to relive again. Even though it was still some time until the schools started, there were still quite a number of people there. If it weren't for Shuichi's bright pink hair, Yuki was sure they would've lost them for sure. One minute, the two young ones would be right next to them, and the next they would be across the store looking at different things.

Sanjiro moved himself easily in and out of stalls and picked up many different things. Life with Shuichi had made him an expert at these sorts of things. Yuki tagged on behind him and relieved him of his growing pile, from time to time. He himself picked a few items for Tatsuha. Quite a few times, Sanjiro grabbed hold of Shuichi and Tatsuha, and placed different shirts in front of them, as if sizing them up.

When all the purchases were made, they stepped out of the store. Yuki had just heaved a huge sigh of relief when Tatsuha spoke up.

"Aniki. You didn't forget to buy me some shorts did you? My old ones are getting too small."

Sanjiro knew that they had forgotten something. He could barely suppress a chuckle at the horrified expression that appeared on Yuki's face. The thought of going back in there really scared Yuki out of his wits.

"Tell you what." Spoke up Sanjiro. "I'll take Tatsuha and buy him the things he needs. Why don't you take Shuichi and wait for us over there?"

Sanjiro grabbed Tatsuha's hand and pointed at the ice cream shop that was located a few stores away.

"Sure. Thanks." Yuki said beaming at Sanjiro.

"Oh and make sure you keep an eye on him. In case you haven't noticed, this little tyke has a habit of wandering off on his own."

At the thought of running around looking for Shuichi, Yuki quickly shot out and grabbed Shuichi's small hand in his own.

"Ah we'll be fine." Yuki reassured Sanjiro. `I hope.' He added silently to himself.

"All right then. See you in a few."

Sanjiro stepped back inside the store with Tatsuha in tow.

Yuki took a deep breath and looked down at his small companion. Shuichi was eagerly eyeing the toy store right across from them. Yuki tugged on his hand and they made their way to the ice cream parlor.

Instead of a regular store, the ice cream parlor consisted of just one large counter. Many different flavors of ice creams, with different choices of toppings were displayed in the glass fridge. A few chairs and tables were set up in a small area just in front of the counter. Yuki headed for a table set for four and sat down, with Shuichi just across form him.

Shuichi's large violet eyes became even larger, if possible, as he gazed over at the rainbow display of the ice cream. He turned his purple gaze over at Yuki.

"Oniichan. Can I have some ice cream?" Shuichi asked sweetly.

"Don't call me Oniichan. I'm not you brother. My name is Yuki." Yuki said scowling at him.

Shuichi, who wasn't perturbed in the least by his harsh tone, spoke up again.

"O.K. Yuki. Can I have some ice cream? Pleeeassseeee?"

"No!! Now quiet down."

Yuki snapped at him. He then realized that he may have been too harsh by the way Shuichi winced visibly and slumped down in the chair. For a few moments, only his hair and eyes were visible, looking at Yuki forlornly.

Before Yuki had a chance to feel too guilty, Shuichi sat up straight. He folded his arms over the table, and propped his chin on top of them.

"How come you don't like me?" Shuichi asked Yuki, rendering him speechless.

"What do you mean? I like you a lot Shuichi."

Yuki said offering him a tentative smile. `Observant brat.'

"No you don't. You just yelled at me. And you always look at me with a mad face. Like this." Shuichi scrunched up his face and narrowed his eyes, in a mock scowl.

Yuki couldn't hide the smile that appeared over his face at the utterly adorable picture Shuichi presented. With his nose bunched up cutely and his eyes narrowed, Shuichi looked like a large angry kitten.

He did feel a bit guilty about snapping at the child. Yuki was just frustrated and he was misdirecting his rage towards the innocent little creature. He had to do something. He couldn't let Sanjiro see that he was at bad terms with his son.

"Well, I am sorry I yelled at you. Why don't I make it up? How about that ice cream you wanted, with as many toppings as you want." Yuki offered friendly.

"Yay!!" Shuichi cheered loudly.

"Come on, you can make your own selection."

Yuki took him over to the counter and hauled him up by his waist, so he could have a closer look. Shuichi looked drooling in through the glass window. He then glanced up at the man behind the counter, who was smiling kindly down at him.

"What would you like today young man?"

"Can I have a double scoop of strawberry-vanilla ice cream, with chocolate sprinkles, hot fudge and whipped cream, with a cherry on top, please?"

Shuichi smiled sweetly up at him. The man looked over at Yuki who was staring at Shuichi wide-eyed.

"And would you like that in a cone or a cup?'

Yuki looked up.

"With all those toppings? You better make it in a cup. Oh, and I'll take a chocolate milkshake please."

A few moments later, the kindly vendor handed them their orders, and both of them made their way back to their table.

"Umm, yum yum yummy. Ice cream, yeah. Gimme gimme."

Shuichi was obviously unable to control himself. Yuki handed him the cup and a plastic spoon. The spoon lay forgotten on the table as Shuichi went in and took a large bite. And then another. After a few more bites he came up for some air. His lower face was a huge mess of whipped cream and hot fudge. There were also a few chocolate sprinkles splattered here and there. Shuichi gave him a huge toothy grin.

"I love you Yuki."

With that he went back to scarfing down the rest of his hot-fudged, whip creamed, ice cream mush.

Yuki stared at him stunned for a few seconds. He then shook his head.

`Ah, youth. The blessed state of innocence without inhibitions.' Yuki thought silently observing Shuichi. `I wish I could say those words as easily to your father as you did to me, kiddo.'

Yuki heaved a huge sigh and handed Shuichi the spoon. He saw that the high level of ice cream was quickly decreasing and Shuichi's hand was heading towards the cup. Shuichi happily took the spoon, and once again attacked the ice cream with a gusto.

After his third bite, he looked up and called out.

"Daddy! Tatsu-Chan! Look what Yuki got me!"

Yuki looked up from his milk shake as Sanjiro sat down. He deposited a bag next to the other bags on the floor. Tatsuha was looking jealously at Shuichi.

"Hey Shu-Chan. Let me get a bite."

Tatsuha said and scowled deeply when his friend took the ice cream away from his reach.

"Uh uh, no way. Yuki got this just for me. Get your own." Shuichi said sticking his tongue out.

"Shuichi Shindou. Is that proper behavior? Put your tongue in your mouth and apologize at once." Sanjiro said, sitting a little bit high on his seat, scowling at his son.

Shuichi immediately lowered his gaze.

"Sorry Daddy." He said meekly.

"Not to me. To Tatsuha."

"Sorry Tatsu-Chan." Shuichi said looking at his friend. "Here, you can share with me."

Shuichi handed him his spoon. Tatsuha grabbed it happily and took a bite. Shuichi looked up at his father as if seeking his approval. Sanjiro smiled down at him nodded his head.

"Well that was much better, wasn't it?"

A smile spread over Shuichi's face as he nodded his head vigorously. Yuki was amazed at Shuichi's behavior. It was obvious how much the kid looked up to his father, and wanted to keep him happy.

Sanjiro scraped back his chair and stood up.

"I think I'll get Tatsuha an ice cream of his own. Come on Tatsu-Chan."

Tatsuha eagerly followed Sanjiro. They both returned a few minutes later. Tatsuha had a banana split in his hand and Sanjiro was supporting a chocolate milkshake of his own.

Shuichi who by now had finished his ice cream looked greedily up at Tatsuha. Tatsuha noticed him looking.

"Well what are you looking at? Take your spoon and dig in."

Shuichi gave another loud cheer and they both started devouring the split. Sanjiro was looking at them apprehensively.

"Oh man. So much sugar going into their system. They will stay awake for the better part of the night, I assure you." He said taking a few sips of his shake.

Yuki just shook his head good naturedly and smiled.

"So. What's next?" he asked.

"Well, we have already purchased the stuff we need. We can hang out here for a while if you want."

Yuki, who was in no hurry to get back home, nodded his head eagerly.

"O.K good. Because there is a book store on the third level I really wanted to go to. They always have really good literature. I want to see if they've stocked something new."

"Sure that'd be nice."

After finishing their ice creams and shakes, the group made their way over to the elevators. Upon arriving at the store, they checked their bags at the door and went in. The place was huge, with a large collection of books with properly marked sections.

They made their way over to the children's section. Sanjiro took both Shuichi and Tatsuha aside and bent down to their level.

"O.K you two. Look around here and pick out one book each. And absolutely no running around, or leaving this section. Understand?" He said in a firm voice.

They both nodded their heads and went to look at books.

"Well, come one."

Sanjiro stood up straight and made his way over to another section. Yuki followed him but kept looking back at the boys.

"Are you sure its o.k. to leave them there?"

"Hmm, oh yeah. It's perfectly fine. From here, I can actually keep an eye on them."

Sanjiro answered looking over at different titles. He took a book out and read the description at the back cover.

"Ah, tragic romance. Is there anything better?"

He took out two more books and looked over at Yuki.

"I love reading these types of books. You know, where the protagonists go through lots of obstacles and ups and downs of the relationships."

Yuki took one of the books from his hand and looked it over himself.

"Yeah, but don't most of these stories finish with a sad ending? You know where the main characters don't end up together, or where one of them dies."

He inquired looking up at Sanjiro, who smiled down at him.

"Yeah. I know. But that just tells us that life isn't always full of happiness and that sometimes there aren't any happy endings at all. I tend to be a little realistic about what I read. You know, not always expecting that the good guys will get their happily ever after."

Sanjiro spoke with a faraway look in his eyes. He blinked several times and focused his gaze back on Yuki.

"Hey, you should try reading these sometime. Who knows, maybe you'll end up liking them as well." Sanjiro said nudging Yuki with his elbow.

They made their way over to the children's section and beckoned the two boys over. Both of whom had picked out comic books. Sanjiro looked at the titles and shook his head.

"Why am I not surprised?"

They paid for their purchases and stepped out of the place.

*~*~*

It was much later in the day when they were headed back for home. The sun was setting over the horizon, leaving a warm orange glow.

Yuki heaved a huge yawn and stretched his arms over his head. He then looked at the back seat and chuckled softly at the scene.

Shuichi's head was resting on Tatsuha's shoulder and he was fast asleep. His mouth was slightly open and a hint of drool was hanging out at the corner. Tatsuha was asleep as well. His head was resting on top of Shuichi's and he was sucking on some of his pink strands.

Yuki turned around and looked at Sanjiro in the driver's seat.

"Well, they're certainly worn out."

Sanjiro peeked at them through his back-view mirror and smiled.

"Yeah. They may possess a lot of energy, but it also takes a lot out of them too." He looked over at Yuki. "How about you? Are you going to collapse down on me too?"

Yuki laughed out.

"Ha. No way. I may be a bit tired, but I am in no way, sleepy."

Sanjiro smiled and winked at him.

Now was the perfect time. There would be no interruptions. He could tell him how he feels towards him. `I can do this.' Yuki repeated this phrase firmly in his mind. He turned his head towards Sanjiro and opened his mouth.

No sound came out. He opened and closed his mouth several times. Sanjiro arched his eyebrows at him in a silent question. Yuki just shook his head and slumped down in his seat.

`Stupid, stupid, idiot, moron, coward'

In his mind lashing at himself, Yuki didn't realize that Sanjiro had stopped the car in front of his house. He was now waking up the sleeping duo in the back seat.

Tatsuha and Shuichi both blinked their eyes open and stretched their limbs. They then proceeded to step out of the car.

"I need to get something from Tatsu-Chan Daddy. Can I go?"

At the nod of approval from his father, both young ones ran toward the front door and disappeared behind it.

Yuki heaved a huge sigh.

`Well no use beating yourself up about it. You had a chance and you lost it.'

He got out of the car and made towards the rear to retrieve the bags.

"Hey Yuki, hold on."

Sanjiro, who was standing just off to the side, beckoned him over. When Yuki approached, he placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Is there something bothering you? I noticed you wanted to say something earlier but withheld yourself. Because you know, there is nothing you can't talk to me about." He asked affectionately.

Yuki looked up at him with bright eyes. It was now or never. This was his golden opportunity presenting itself. He mustered up whatever courage he possessed and stepped towards Sanjiro.

He stood on his tip toes, shot out his hand and grabbed a surprised Sanjiro by the back of his neck. He brought his face down to meet his and sealed their lips together in a long, searing kiss.

*~*~*

TBC.

Author's notes: I am so evil Muahahahahaha…cough..cough..hack. Hopefully you liked this chapter. Please don't forget to review ^_^.