Gravitation Fan Fiction ❯ Yuki & Shuichi ❯ Scene 9 ( Chapter 9 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Yuki & Shuichi
 
Summary: A story of two star-crossed lovers. The love of two enemies.
 
Scene 9
 
Lady Uesagi cried, “I beg for justice, which thou, prince, must give; Yuki slew Ryuichi, Yuki must not live.”
 
But the prince was moved by fairness. In his panic, Yuki fled to Friar Winchester. It was there he heard of the prince's decree. “Banished?” he cried. “Banished from Verona? That is a fate worse than death!”
 
Friar Winchester tried to comfort him. “Only from Verona are you banished. The world is large and wide. Be thankful for the prince's mercy.”
 
“'Tis torture, and not mercy: heaven is here. Where Shuichi lives; and every cat and dog and little mouse live here in heaven and may look on him; but Yuki may not. And you say that banishment is better than death?”
 
Just then, Shuichi's nurse came into the Friar's cell. She had searched everywhere for Yuki to give him news from her master. Yuki threw himself at her feet. “How is my Shuichi? Where is he? What says he? Does he take me for a murderer, now l have stain'd the childhood of our joy with blood removed but little from his own?”
 
“O, he says nothing, sir, but weeps and weeps; and now falls on her bed.” Then she handed Yuki a ring and said. “He would have his husband, his Yuki, come to him tonight for the last time before his banishment.”
 
The Friar Winchester turned to him. “Haste makes you to your dearest one, your husband. And hurry, before they set up guards. Tomorrow early, disguise yourself and flee to Osaka. There my servant will bring you news of how things stand in Tokyo.”
 
As sad as Shuichi was about the death of his cousin, so too, he loved his Yuki and could not be angry with him. When he climbed to his balcony, he took him into his arms with trembling joy.
 
The night flew on fast, dark wings, and as morning neared, Yuki rose to go. Shuichi gripped his arms and cried, “Wilt thou be gone? It is not yet near day: it was the nightingale, and not the lark, that pierced the fearful hollow of thine ear.”
 
“It was the lark, the herald of the morn.” answered Yuki. “Night's candles are burnt out, and jocund day stands tiptoe on the misty mountain tops. I must be gone and live, or stay and die.”
 
He suddenly remembered what danger he was in if he could not flee while darkness still covered Tokyo. “It is, it is; hie hence, be gone, away! It is the lark that sings so out of tune!” He kissed him one last time. “O, now be gone; more light and light it grows.”
 
Yuki said, “More light and light; more dark and dark our woes. Farewell, farewell one kiss, and I'll descend.” He released his beloved Shuichi, flew down the ladder, scaled the wall, and left, banished, to Osaka.
 
Shuichi flung himself on his bed and wept.
 
Moments later Lady Shindou came to Shuichi's room and found him crying. “Such grief for your cousin,” she said. “Well, l have joyful news to still your tears.”
 
Shuichi turned to his mother, “And joy comes well in such a needy time.” But when Lady Shindou told her son that Thursday morn would find him married to Taki, Shuichi violently refused.
 
His father was enraged at his disobedience. Even his nurse counseled her to marry Taki. “Yuki is as good as dead,” she said. “And Taki is a worthy man.” In wretched despair, Shuichi fled to Friar Winchester.