Groove Adventure Rave Fan Fiction ❯ Groove Adventure Rave: The Journal ❯ Heart of a Hero ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Groove Adventure Rave: The Journal

By Adam Carr

Groove Adventure Rave is copyright of Konami and Kodansha. No infringement is intended.

The final chapter. I'd like to thank anyone who read the story and enjoyed it. I find it hard to put emotions into words, but with your feedback, I do try to get better.

Watch out for the next chapter of my novel `The Tenshi Quest' and more Rave works from me in the near future. Enjoy!!

Haru's senses returned to him slowly as he woke from slumber. The first thing he noticed was that he was out on the main deck, and it was now night time. The only illumination was the light of the clear moon. He berated himself for staying up so late. Even this late at night, they still had to be alert for any Demon Card attacks. He felt chilly, and pulled his trench coat closer to his body.

As his eyes focused better, he saw the figure who sat on her knees a few feet from him. He immediately recognised her as Elie.

For a second, he was confused as to why she out here so late, and wearing only her nightshirt and belt in this cold air. But then he began to take her in, still in awe of her incredible beauty. Breathing quietly so as not to disturb her, his eyes lingered on the way the shirt clung to her curves, up to her hair, which seemed to shimmer, and her downcast eyes. The bright amber seemed to shine even in the dark.

She had to be some sort of angel. No mortal woman could possibly be that beautiful, and have such kindness and vitality in her soul. The more he looked at her, the more blessed he felt to be in her presence.

"If only things were different…. I would tell her right now….." He thought sadly.

He looked closer at her, wondering what she was looking at. Then he froze in horror.

She was reading his journal!!

A thousand alarms went off in his head. If she read what was in there… what he had written about her….

"AHHHHHHH!!"

He jumped forward and grabbed the book from her hands. Moving back, he clutched it tightly in his arms, and looked at her through fear-filled eyes. She stared at him, looking frightened and confused.

Sadness filled his heart. "It's over." He thought. No doubt she had been insulted, or now knew what he felt and did not feel the same. He wished he could turn back time right now and make sure this never happened. How could he live… if Elie hated him?

"Haru…." Her voice came out with a nervous timbre. No doubt she wanted an explanation. Haru took a deep breath, hoping he could explain this without clueing her in to his feelings.

"Elie-chan… er, don't take any notice of that book. It's just a place to write when my mind wanders. I just write any old thing, it doesn't mean anything…." He rambled.

"Haru….. stop it."

"St…stop what?"

"Stop pretending!" She said out loud. "Stop all this hiding. I read what you wrote. I… I know how you feel…"

He just nodded, his mind still thinking about the pain he had inflicted on himself because of his ignorance. "Oh right. I'm sorry…"

Suddenly, he felt his hand being held. He looked up, to see she had moved closer. Her eyes looked at him tenderly.

"Don't be sorry. I… I was moved."

"Moved?" Haru didn't comprehend this. Wasn't she angry with him?

"Yes." Elie gave him that bright smile of hers, which made him feel warmer. "I never thought anybody could care about someone like you do for me. The way you turned to me when you were hurt, the way you defend me…. I'm honoured."

Her head lowered. "I mean, sometimes I think I'm kinda useless compared to the rest of the gang, that I don't do much unlike the others."

She smiled again. "But now I know I can make you happy, that I can help you when you need it, I feel… that I can't be without you."

Haru gasped silently. "You…you mean that?"

"Yes, silly!" She held his hand tighter. "I mean, you wrote a song for me. It wasn't the best in the world… but because you did it just for me…. It's so special."

She looked at him lopsidedly. "Were you really going to play the guitar for me?"

He sniggered nervously. "If I could find one, I would have."

They both laughed. Haru felt relieved. She didn't hate him for what he had written…. But still, she had not commented on the more personal statements about her. And that scared him. Did she know he loved her?

Elie looked at Haru's face. He looked somewhere between laughing for joy, crying, and utter confusion. No doubt he was as scared of the direction this was going as she was. She wanted to tell him, just to ease his fears and hers, to reveal herself as he had to her, to show her love. But her fears of his reaction, and the question lingering in her mind kept stopping her.

"Just tell him. Don't ask that question, you know the answer will hurt you…." She thought. But no, it was too strong to deny.

She looked into his eyes. She could see the adoration he projected to her. It made her feel so special. Only for him.

"But Haru…" She forced the words. I don't understand what you wrote in the last part. Why do you feel….. that you have to leave me?"

His eyes registered fear.

"Please Haru… don't think you're not worthy enough for me… you are. Please… just tell me."

Haru looked at her with hurt eyes.

"Elie-chan… I want to be with you… but it's better that I can't. It's better for you."

"Wh…why?"

He was trembling now, and he placed his hands on her shoulders. "You…. you're very precious to me Elie. If I could, I'd just jack this whole Rave thing and take you to my home…. But I can't. I'm the Rave Master and I have to save the world. And that…" He seemed to choke, and she thought she could see a tear in his eye

"That is why I can't be with you."

Elie felt her stomach drop. This couldn't be happening. All those intimate secrets, all those pent up feelings, now he was going to just throw them away?

"Haru… just because you're the Rave Master doesn't mean anything…"

"Yes it does!" He snapped, stepping back. "I'm tired of you getting hurt because of me!"

"What?"

Haru's eyes were downcast, not daring to look at her.

"Before you met me, you had a good life. You could go where you wanted, you had fun, you were safe. You didn't have to worry about anything except finding your memories. Then you met me… and now look! Thanks to me, your life is in danger! If you hadn't joined me, you would have never awakened that damn Etherion!

Thanks to me, Demon Card keep trying to kill you. Sieg Hart almost got you. Doryu used you for his weapon. God only knows what Lucia would do to you if he ever got hold of you! He sent that guy after you today!"

He wringed his hands. "I… can't stand it anymore. You don't deserve any of this." He looked at her. "And I won't drag you into my troubles anymore. And if that means I have to leave you….so be it."

He turned his back to her, his heart already starting to despair. Elie stared at him, her whole body shaking.

Silence lingered in the air for several minutes. Haru wanted to walk away, but something inside made him unable to move. He could feel Elie's stare on him.

"So that's it?" Elie voice rang out sharply. "You're just going to leave me, because you think my life will be better without you."

Haru didn't respond. But when he heard her sob, he turned around to see her standing closer, tears spilling from her eyes.

"Don't you get it Haru?" She cried out. "You are my life!"

And she fell to her knees. Haru instantly swooped down to hold her up. She latched onto his hands.

"Before I met you, I was so lonely. No one would help me find my memories. I was so lost. All I wanted was a friend. That's why I joined you in the first place…." Her eyes focused on him. "I met you, and you became my friend. But now… you're more than that."

"Elie…."

"You've given me so much. You.. you've taught me how to be courageous, to fight for what I believe in, to never give up. I would have never gotten so far without you, never found my link with Resha. You've given me the best friends I could ever have. And most of all, you've given me hope. And you think you're making my life worse?!!"

Elie sank to her knees, still clutching Haru's hands.

"I don't care about my memories anymore! I don't care if I never find them! Because without you…. I have nothing."

She stared into his eyes.

"I love you Haru. Don't you get it?! I love you!"

Then she sobbed into his legs.

Haru stood there dumbly, his mind still wrapping around the words he had just heard. Before, he had only heard them in his imagination. But now, they were real.

She loved him. She loved him, and he was about to cut her out of his life forever, because he loved her. But now…. What he thought was impossible was happening to him right now.

He slowly knelt down, and held Elie as tight as possible The feel of her body next to his, it felt alien, and yet not quite.

"Shhhhh. Please don't cry Elie-chan." He gently brought her face in front of his, and wiped her face of tears. "I love you too much to make you cry."

Realisation hit her bright eyes, and Haru was delighted to see her familiar smile.

"I won't leave you alone again. Ever." He breathed.

Elie said nothing, she just wrapped her arms around him tightly. In that one instant, all her worry about whether she would be loved, just washed away. She revelled in his touch, his warmth.

The two stared deeper into each other's eyes. Slowly, they leaned toward each other, never breaking eye contact, until their faces were millimetres from each other.

They remained there for several minutes, as both of them shivered, slightly frightened at the future that would soon be before them.

Until Haru finally gathered his courage, and kissed her.

To Elie, the world just blanked out. She felt nothing but Haru's warm caress. A pleasant tingle raced up her body, and her arms wrapped around his neck to draw him closer.

Haru could hardly believe it. The object of his desire.. was kissing him. And it felt like nothing he'd experienced before. He closed his eyes, enjoying the sensation of her skin on his. All his problems, all his worries, they didn't matter anymore. He felt more alive than ever.

His eyes still closed, he felt Elie remove her lips and arms. He opened them, wondering if he had done something wrong, and watched Elie for any reaction. Her amber eyes looked at him adoringly.

She lowered her hands and removed her belt and guns. Then she pulled off her nightshirt.

Haru's eyes jumped out of his head as he took in the sight of her, sitting before him totally naked. He struggled to find his voice.

"El… Elie-ch..chan, what are you…?"

"Shhhh" She wrapped her arms around him, and drew him parallel to her body. Haru found himself holding his breath.

"You've bared your soul to me Haru. I think… this is the least I can do in return." She kissed him.

Haru tried to come up with an argument as he felt Elie tug off his coat. But as the kiss grew more passionate, he found himself agreeing with her….

"Psst! Boss. Boss!" A voice hissed through the darkness.

Musica pushed himself up from his bed, and came face to face with his second of command of the Silver Rhythm Pirates, Herby. Even through the green shades he always wore, he looked worried.

Musica rubbed his eyes, and checked his watch. "Herby, it's two in the morning. This had better be good…"

"Sorry to wake you boss, but er, we may have trouble. I was doing my rounds, and I spotted something on one of the cameras. You'd better take a look."

"Okay, but if it's another Demon Card loser, I shall be extremely pissed. It's too late for this crap."

The two walked to the ship's security room, were screens displaying camera views around the ship were set up. Herby pointed at the camera view of the front deck of the ship.

Musica peered closer. It was still dark, but the moonlight still allowed him to just make out objects such as cooling ducts and ropes. But there was something new there. A long, dark object, laid out on the deck. It was impossible to make out what it was in what little light there was. But it was moving.

Musica blinked. "What is that? Some animal? A person?"

"Beats me. I was afraid to go out there in case it was a bomb or something."

"Can't you turn the lights on out there so we can see?"

"No, not in here. You have to do it there manually, over there."

Musica thought quickly. It was possible Demon Card would have dropped a bomb or some assassin onto the ship, they were that sneaky. But how the hell had they gotten so close without being detected? And why was the mysterious object just laying there, moving slightly?

"Okay, lets get the others and check this out."

The two returned to the sleeping compartment. Musica went to Haru's room, and flung open the door. His eyes widened when he saw that The Rave Master wasn't there. He began to worry when he saw that the Eisonmeteor was still propped against the wall.

Haru usually slept like a log, Where was he this late at night?

He moved to Let's room, where he found him in bed, curled up with Julia.

"Let! We've got a problem." He hissed.

Without moving, the Dragon Warrior replied. "What is it?"

"Well, we don't know what it is. We just found this thing on the deck and…"

"I'm not interested in some `thing'. Call me when there's someone to fight." Let growled, obviously annoyed with being woken. "Besides, how could something or someone just appear on the deck?"

"I don't know." Musica shrugged. "Maybe your old buddy Jegen came back from the dead, hitched a dragon and flew it up here…"

At the sound of `Jegen' Let and Julia instantly jumped out of bed, looking extremely angry.

"If he is still alive…." Let's fist shook with rage. Musica smirked.

As they left the room, Go and Rosa came up, Go holding his camcorder.

"Hey, your man told me someone snuck on board."

"Well, we don't know who or what…"

The director grinned. "Alright! A night raid. Let me get my night vision lens. This could be great footage" He ran off.

Rosa shrugged. "I try to stop him, but as you can see…"

"Boss!" Herby ran up, followed by Plue, Griff and Ruby. "Elie's not in her room."

Now Elie was missing? Musica was being to get seriously worried.

The group walked quietly onto the main deck. The only sounds were of light footsteps, blowing wind, and the whirring of Go's camera. Rosa slapped his thigh to get him to shut up.

Herby stopped them as they reached the ship's cockpit, and indicated a large button. "Boss, we can turn the lights on from here.

Musica nodded, then peered out at the front deck. The object was closer now, but still couldn't be made out in the moonlight.

"Shall I hit the lights?" Herby breathed.

"Not yet. If it is Demon Card, we have to surprise them."

"This night vision lens sucks! I still can't see what it is." Go complained, as he looked in the camcorder "But I can hear them."

Go handed Musica the camera. Listening through the small microphone, he could indeed hear sounds coming from the object. He blinked.

He could hear heavy breathing, and soft, feminine noises. "mmmmm….. aaaahhhh"

Musica looked at the object, then thought about Haru and Elie.

"No…. he wouldn't." He thought.

"I can't take it anymore!" Griff blurted out. He stretched his arm up and jabbed the button.

Instantly, the deck was flooded with light, and the mysterious object was revealed.

It was Haru, with Elie laying on top of him, kissing passionately. Wrapped only in a trench coat and each other. Clothes were strewn around them. They continued their embrace, oblivious to everything.

Musica's jaw dropped. Plue fainted. Griff suddenly got a nose bleed. Rosa and Julia gasped. Go yanked the camera from Musica and quickly pressed record. Ruby stared in confusion. And for once, even Let looked surprised.

Haru and Elie froze, having finally noticed the lights, then they slowly turned their heads to the group, eyes wide in horror.

"AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!"

Haru frantically tried to cover himself and Elie. "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?!!!"

"What the hell are you doing?" Musica smirked wider. "Or rather, who…"

"Go, sweetie, stop filming them please." Rosa asked Go, who still pointed the camera at them.

"I can't. It's like a train wreck. I can't help it…" He whimpered.

Elie jumped up, ignoring the fact she wore no clothes, grabbed the ton-fa guns, and aimed them at the group.

"You've got ten seconds to get out of here!"

Herby trembled. "Boss, I think we better boob as she says. I mean, DO as she says!"

"Yeah, uh.. we can ass about this tomorrow. ASK about this."

"WAIT!" Griff yelled. "Let me take a picture!"

Elie lost it. "BAKAAAA!" Bullets rained at their feet, forcing them to make a hasty getaway.

As the anger subsided, Elie lowered her head in sadness. Haru pulled his trousers on, them grabbed his coat and covered Elie with it.

"Easy Elie-chan. You have to admit, we did give them a good scare." He chuckled, and hugged her from behind.

"I know…." She sighed. "But it had been so nice… and then it got ruined."

"Well, it was nice…" Haru grinned, and picked her up in his arms. "But it might be more comfortable on a mattress."

Elie locked her lips to his as he carried her inside, silently wondering if this was some kind of dream….

Haru opened his eyes, and rubbed them sleepily. He could hear his alarm clock beeping away.

His minds eye cast itself back to a wonderful dream he had had. He had carried Elie-chan onto his bed, then proceeded to kiss every millimetre of skin on her body. After that…. He flushed slightly, and gave a long sigh. Too bad it was only…

Suddenly, a soft, curvy form pressed to his side, and a slender arm reached over him to shut the alarm off. He turned his head, to see Elie give a smile and snuggle against his shoulder. He blinked, and a wide smile formed.

"It wasn't a dream." He breathed.

"Nope." Elie looked up at him. "Felt pretty real to me anyway."

The events of last night flashed into his head. "Yeah…." He was still fairly awed, that she had wanted to do that, that she loved him that much.

"Er… I wasn't… er… unpleasant, was I?" He stammered.

"No silly. It felt great." Elie assured. Haru placed an arm around her.

"This feels nice too. Just waking up with you.." He placed a kiss on her lips, and nuzzled her throat. She giggled slightly.

"You're so romantic Haru-maki. Who would have thought it?"

"Me, that's for sure." He chuckled. "You know, this changes a lot of things. This changes everything."

"Not everything. You'll still be the courageous hunk who won my heart. We just won't need my room anymore, that's all."

"Why don't we need your room…" Haru stopped when he caught her looking at his legs, under the covers. "Oh."

"You don't mind me moving in, do you? I promise, my clothes won't take up too much…" Elie stopped when she saw Haru now had a sad look on his face.

"What's wrong?"

Haru sighed. "Sorry Elie-chan. I just got thinking. One thing that hasn't changed is that Demon Card are still after you because of me…."

Elie placed a finger to his lips to silence him. "You stop that right now Haru. You're not to blame for any of this. It's my choice that I joined you."

"I could just leave.." She looked at him tenderly. "But I want to be with you. And I want to help save the world, and find my memories. I don't mind being hunted by Lucia. As long as I'm with you…." She held him tighter. "I'll always be okay."

He smiled wider. "That is exactly why I love you. Now matter how bad things get, you can always make it better."

His hands reached up to touch her face. She shivered at his gentle touch. "I just hope I can make you as happy as you deserve."

Elie kissed his forehead. "I love you… snuggle muffin."

"WHAT?!!" He cried out. Elie giggled at his reaction.

"I can't give you a cute nickname?"

"That's not cute, that's stupid."

She pouted, and straddled his waist. "You won't think it's so stupid if I keep calling you it. Snuggle muffin, snuggle muffin…"

"Oh yeah? Well, I'll just call you cutie-poo."

"Gahh! That is bad! But I see you, and raise you…scruumy-kins.

"Heh! Try little kawaii kitty chan.

"Fuzzy-wuzzy."

"Little fairy-chan!"

"Floppy-kins!"

"Oh God, I'm gonna be ill!"

Elie frowned. "It wasn't that bad…"

Haru blinked. "That wasn't me talking just now…"

"Then who..?" Elie focused on the door. She got up, yanked of the bedcover and wrapped herself in it. She tip-toed over to the door. As she got closer, she could hear low voices talking.

"Shhh, they might hear you?"

"I think they've got better things to focus on…"

"Floppy-kins? What has Haru gotten himself into?"

Elie flung open the door, and the people who had been leaning against it to eavesdrop tumbled to the floor. Griff, Musica, Rosa, Go and Julia landed in a heap. Go had his camcorder, and Griff had a high-tech listening device and headphones on his head. Elie looked at them accusingly.

"Well?"

The group shuddered. "Well, ah…." Rosa stammered. "Go was filming me walking down the corridor, when he trips, and we fall on your door. Go, you idiot!"

"Er.. yeah! Sorry Rosa-chan. Damn my big feet." Go replied with all his acting ability.

Julia said "And um… he knocked into us. Right Musica?"

"Yeah…" Musica rubbed the back of his head nervously.

"And I found this charming Audio-Listening device, and was about to try it out." Griff said. "But not on your room. Oh no, I'm not interested to hearing to see if you're doing the deed, a ha ha ha."

Elie glared at the nervous group. "Go away before I try summoning Etherion."

They were gone in a flash. Elie smiled, closed the door, and turned to Haru, who watched from the bed in amusement.

"You're so mean Elie-chan." He laughed.

"Only when it suits me. Now, do you have any plans for this morning?"

Haru smirked. "Not really."

Elie looked at him with seductive eyes, and flung the covers off her. "Well then….

"I knew it, I just knew it." Griff said.

He, and the others were standing on the far end of the front deck, watching the couple sitting together on the bow of the ship. They could see Elie drape her arms over Haru and hug him tight. Since this morning, the gang had been following them in secret (with the exception of Let) to see and confirm if the two really were now a couple. And of course, for Julia and Rosa to fawn over the cuteness.

"I knew those two were getting it on ages ago! We just never saw them do it till now." Griff proudly proclaimed.

"Oh really." Musica scoffed. "And just when was it then?"

"It was the day I met them. When those two hired me, I could see the love in their eyes….

"Crap! Utter crap!" Rosa interrupted. "I saw those two loved each other when they came to Go's studio. I bet you didn't have a clue."

"You can talk about being clueless, Miss `Let's cast rain over a village for five years and forget about it."

Rosa twitched. "Go, hold me, so I don't find his neck and break it." Go restrained his girlfriend.

"I think it was only recently, poyo." Ruby said. "I bet they fell in love when we almost got killed in the Death Storm, poyo."

He looked over to Let, who watched the two with an arm wrapped around Julia. "When do you think they fell in love?"

"Does it really matter when?"

"Well sure, poyo. Someone will have to remind Haru about their anniversary.. "

"I mean, why worry about when it happened. The past isn't quite as important as the present. If you ask me, the best part about love…" He held Julia tighter. "… Is thinking about the future together."

Julia smiled. Go gave a grin, and also secured a gentle hold around Rosa. Musica rolled his eyes.

"Geez. I'm happy for Haru and Elie. They deserve it after all they've been through… but this is tragic! I'm the only guy here without a girl!"

"I'm single too!" Griff retorted.

"Maybe Haru will hook you up with that sister he goes on about, poyo."

Musica smirked. "Yeah, wishful thinking."

He returned his gaze to the young couple. He was probably the only one who wasn't totally surprised about this. After all, he'd figured out they had liked each other since the day he had seen them. It might not have been love, but it had been getting there, as the two spent more time with each other.

After all, every hero needs someone to protect….

Haru stared out at the setting sun. The colours of the sky as the light blazed across the clouds looked more breathtaking than usual. But then, everything now seemed new and exciting. Because he now saw them with his love. He shifted slightly, as he felt Elie's arms wrap around his neck. Peering down into his journal, he wrote on the latest page.

<Another boring day. Well, not really boring, more like nothing major relating to Rave or Dark Bring has happened. I hope it's like this for a long time. I have serious catching up to do with Elie-chan.

I want to make up for all the days I chickened out of telling her… now that we are together, it seems kinda stupid that I was afraid for so long. I still fear for her safety from Lucia, but being afraid that she wouldn't like me… heh, I should have had more faith.

This is all so new to me. But I'm gonna learn. I know Elie-chan… now I want to know her totally, intimately, and passionately.

(Actually, I think I covered those last two bases last night)

….. Before I had my goal to save the world and return home to my sister. But now, I got a new addition to my list.

Once this is over…. I want a family….

Dark Bring and Lucia think they can stop us.

But thanks to Elie-chan, and Cattlaya, and all my friends, I've got enough hope in my heart, to know it'll all be okay in the end…>

Elie peered over Haru's shoulder. "That's really nice."

He smirked. "You gonna keep peeking into this thing?"

"Only if you're too stubborn to tell me if something's wrong." She ruffled his hair. "But you are a really good writer. Maybe you could do it for a living."

"I thought you wanted to be the writer in this group. That's what you think you were in your past life."

"True, but I think I'd rather be a singer."

Haru chuckled. "You, sing? Yeah right!"

Elie pouted. "You doubt me Glory? Just for that…." She began tickling him under his arms.

"Gahhh!" Haru twisted his body and moved behind her quickly to launch his own brand of tickling. Elie started laughing so much, she shoved Haru off the bow and landed on him.

As the giggles subsided, she looked into his clear eyes, feeling grateful that now matter where her life would lead, he would always be there.

A slight wind blew their hair as they touched lips. Nearby, the journal's pages flapped open in the wind.

The page landed on the last one, where Haru had quickly added something to his latest entry.

A small cartoony drawing of him hugging Elie. A simple picture, but one which depicted a bright future.

THE END