Gundam Seed Destiny Fan Fiction / Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Dark Mirrors: Across from Happiness ❯ EndNotes

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Postscript for DARK MIRRORS: ACROSS FROM HAPPINESS

As I wrote 'Dark Mirrors' (originally titled 'The Berserker's Guide'), I worked on the 'Gung-Ho Gun Hos' series when I had difficulty advancing this story. Ideas were exchanged between the stories; for example, the Blood's design inspired that of a Galaxy class "assault ship" in 'Gung-Ho Gun Hos 3', while Green Beret Shinji had a cameo in 'Gung-Ho Gun Hos 4'.

I also changed many details. For example, there were three ships attacking Vader at the wedding, with Mary Sue commanding a Constitution 2 class starship and her daughter and granddaughter commanding Galaxy class starships.

[Start]

"Vader One, this is the Sailor Senshi. Request permission to engage the target," Rei radioed.

"Sailor Senshi, this Vader One. Permission granted, over."

Usagi jumped in her seat, excited. "Oh, can I use one of the nuclear-armed Harpoons," the AGM-84L anti-ship missiles under the Strike Valkyrie's wings, "please, pretty please with sugar on top?"

An extended beep filled Vader's ears, warning him that the Blood's weapons were targeting him. The TIE x1 transformed to robot mode, sacrificing speed for agility, and somersaulted backwards to dodge incoming shells and phaser beams. "Use of nuclear weapons is authorized, over."

Usagi smiled.

"One Constitution refit and one Galaxy class starships detected." The Death Star commander reported the grid coordinates for the ships' location and the azimuth for their direction of travel. "Designating targets as Bandits Two and Three." Vader barely heard the report over another extended beep as the words "WARNING: RADAR LOCK" appeared on his head-up display (HUD).

"Can I use the nuclear-armed Harpoons against Bandits Two and Three?" Usagi begged.

"Bandit Two is descending... It's hovering over,"-- the Death Star commander reported another grid coordinate. "Walkers are engaging Bandit Two, but it is outside the maximum effective range of their weapons.

Minako checked the VF-1J's navigation system. "It's right over the courtyard!

"Oh no! Mamo-chan!" Usagi cried for Chiba Mamoru, her husband, who she brought with her to the ceremony.

"Don't worry, Usagi-chan!" "We'll save Mamoru-kun!" "You and Mina-chan can go ahead and nuke Bandit Three, transforming the ship into a giant microwave oven to cook the wedding crashers," Ami, Rei, and Makoto assured.

Usagi sadly smiled, accepting the situation. "Thank you, Ami-chan, Rei-chan, Mako-chan." She watched their VE-1 and VF-1As dive to intercept the refit Constitution class starship, before turning towards the approaching Galaxy class starship. "In the name of the moon, we will punish you!"

The Peace Out was one of many Galaxy class starships built for the Dominion War arc of 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' and sold to the public after TV series ended. Mary Sue II, the infamous Mary Sue's daughter and the Peace Out's captain, was determined to move out of the mother's shadow by destroying the Death Star, the ultimate embodiment of the military-industrial complex. As the ship dived towards the battle station to execute its attack, Mary Sue II declared, "The Death Star is armed with a superlaser, weapons technology so obsolete the Warsies," 'Star Wars' fans, "must mount it on a battle station the size of a small moon to be effective! Lasers can't even penetrate our navigational deflectors!"

[End]

I deleted Mary Sue II and her ship to simplify the story. Let's just say she was disinherited for marrying a man, betraying Mary Sue's ideals of female independence.

I also changed Mary Sue III's last scene.

[Start]

The woman set her hand phaser to OVERLOAD and prepared to throw the weapon. Wham! "Ahhhh!" She dropped the phaser and covered her face, feeling blood flow between her fingers.

"That felt good." Alise used the Desert Eagle as a club; the pistol barrel slammed against Mary's head, knocking her unconscious. "Real good." She raised the pistol-- weight: 1990.14 grams-- to strike again, but froze. "What's that whining sound? Yikes!" Alise ducked as the phaser flew into the air, where it exploded harmlessly.

The TIE x1 landed in front of the Sailor Senshi. "That was the sound of an overloading phaser, which can be used as an improvised grenade," Vader answered.

"Vader-kun!" Minako rocketed towards the TIE x1's open cockpit to hug and kiss her husband. "Now that wrongs have been righted and evil has been defeated, let's go on our honeymoon!"

[End]

I wanted to develop A150's character, and to bring closure to Dragon Wing's role. Besides, I doubt Pearson Mui would appreciate having Alise portrayed so out of character.

I consulted Mr. Mui to keep Andrew in character. The distinguished author of 'Anime Detective' contributed this scene, which I revised it to better fit the story's setting:

[Start]

"Why am *I* dressed as the butler?" Andrew groused.

"Because you don't have it in you to act like an arrogant snob," Ryo replied.

"Thanks... I think. Well, let's get going, 'Brucie.'"

"That's 'Master Wayne' to you, peon."

"Well, 'Master Wayne,' remember this: Alfred usually gets the best lines."

[End]

Mr. Mui also contributed to Andrew's commentary on President Vader's inauguration speech. For this, I am very grateful.

Usagi received the nuclear-armed missiles from the Optimus Prime appearing in a story I wrote; for the finale, I wanted Omega Supreme, a transforming battleship, to beat the scrap out of ring down the Blood. Regrettably, both Transformers were unable to appear in 'The Berserker's Guide...' Yes, I'm promoting my own work again. If you have any questions about this decision, I'll happily answer them by demonstrating a 15-kiloton nuclear warhead's destructive power.

Mihnea cel Rau was a real historical figure. Vlad Dracula's eldest son, he was born in 1462. He ruled Wallachia-- now part of Romania-- from 1508 to 1509, when he was overthrown. He was assassinated in 1511.

To find Tux's height, I compared the toy robot's height to its length in vehicle mode, and applying the proportions to a real Rolls-Royce Phantom IV's length: 5.77 meters.

Gräfin von Zeppelin means "Countess of Zeppelin." As Asuka Langley-Soryu's mother was named Kyoko Zeppelin-Soryu, I thought it was appropriate to have the Eva pilot inherit the title. In case you're curious, Asuka serves in the Luftwaffe (Air Arm)-- the German Air Force. She accepted her characterization in 'Evangelion Wars' to become stronger; the Asuka from 'Evangelion Wars' won't end up fighting the Asuka from 'Neon Genesis Evangelion', as Shinji did.

Ikari Gendo rejected his new characterization and forced the schoolboy to reject his own. This made the Green Beret an independent character, which led to the Battle of the Potomac.