Gundam SEED Fan Fiction ❯ Chaotic Outbreak Infinite Energy ❯ Chapter 3 Astray ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3 The Astray
 
Mrs. Murrue looked at Kira who was not saying anything anymore; depression had fully set in, and it was hard to even smile. “A lot of us miss Brett; Kira… he was a great caring young man, and I also know that he is happy we are safe.”
 
“Yeah; still no one was hit harder then Asagi; she can only keep talking about her memories of Brett. I hope she can recover from this; Mir and Cagalli has been trying to take care, but she is really depressed. I don't think that what he did was right, but all we can do is talk about him…”
 
Nothing else came from Kira after he finished speaking; it was no easier on him, but this was the second time Brett had been killed. No body had been found except for shredded bits of pilot's suit, and even thinking of his survival was still just a dream. The bridge suddenly called for Murrue, and she just patted Kira's shoulder while she spoke. “Sorry Kira but I have to got to the bridge for my shift. Just do not worry too much; the fact is that we can do nothing about it.” Kira nodded to Mrs. Murrue, but deep down he was still grieving.
 
Kira started to walk away slowly; after minutes he found him self in the eating area. Mir was sitting down at a table by herself; she was holding up no better then anyone else, and Kira could tell she needed cheering up. Kira went over and sat beside her; she did not even notice Kira till he had but his arm over her shoulder. Mir looked up at Kira with a pair of sad eyes; “oh Kira… sorry I did not notice you there. I guess I'm just not my self lately...”
 
A sad expression was still across Kira's face, and he looked at Mir trying to figure out how he could cheer her up; “I'm sorry Mir I know you had feelings for him. I think everyone misses him a lot; he was a really good friend who always tried his best for others sake.” Mir nodded her head, but soon she had tears running down her face. “Kira do you think Brett is really dead… I mean last time he came back right? I just cannot believe that he is really gone… First Tolle and now…”
 
With Mir not able to even finish the statement; Kira could tell she needed any hope; even if it was false hope. “Yeah Mir he might be just fine somewhere; they never did find his body so he might still be alive…” Kira had to struggle to get those words out, but deep down the odds of Brett's survival were minimal to none.
 
“Kira; he is a great pilot, but he always does such stupid things. He was so reckless and headstrong, but…” Kira hugged Mir while she began to cry on his chest; more memories came flooding back from the past; that Mir remembered so vividly. She had never let herself forget that moment; when they had returned to Orb after Joshua.
 
“Kira…!” shouted Cagalli as she ran forward jumping into Kira's arms, and knocking him to the floor below. “You had me so worried; I thought you were dead… you really are alive right?” Kira was startled at first, but quickly regained his composure. “Don't worry Cagalli I'm alive…” Cagalli got back to her feat with Kira's help when another voice spoke up.
 
“Kira…!” Brett came running over, and stopped completely out of breath and panting for air. He looked up and Kira; still finding it hard to believe he was in front of him. “I cannot believe you are alive; you gave me one hell of a scare when we heard you were shot down. I just could not believe you were shot down…” Kira put a hand on Brett's shoulder trying to calm him down; ushering a short sentence. “It's good to see you too Brett…”
 
A nod was all Brett could offer in return; he was glad to see his friend home safe. “Well Kira just good to see you; I also heard that you got a new Gundam… I hope you use it well.” Kira nodded and said that he would; Brett immediately started looking around, and felt he had to leave. “Well I really hope it is… I think with things going the way things are; that we are going to need help. Go get some rest; I have to go check up on someone else…”
 
Kira and Cagalli watched Brett leave in a hurry; he swept through each compartment looking for a single person. Someone that he knew had also suffered a terrible loss. Brett poked his head through a door to see Mir sitting alone in the dark. “Mir your ok too… I'm sorry about what happened to Tolle…” Immediately Mir turned away and began to cry; making Brett feel like an idiot for being so blunt.
 
Song sekibetsu_no_shizuku
 
Brett quickly realized how stupid of a move that he had made and slowly approached Mir. “Mir… I'm sorry for saying something so stupid. I never meant to hurt you at all… and I was just trying to… well I mean I did not know where to start; and well…”
 
Mir whipped around and jumped into Brett's torso. Her arms wrapped around Brett's body while her force knocked him to the ground. He was so surprised that he never would have expected this event. Her tears soaked all of Brett's front; Brett was shocked but wrapped his arms around Mir; just trying to help her through this. She was crying with all her might; Brett just lay there waiting for Mir to settle down.
 
Soon she settled down after letting it all out; her body twitched with each sob and it was heart breaking to Brett. Brett helped Mir up off the ground and straightened her out; she continued to sob uncontrollably. His hand gently wiped away Mir's tears; she was looking up at Brett like a knight in shinning armor. She could not find any faults with him, and the fact that he was just there for her was enough. “Mir I'm really sorry, and if you need anythi…”
 
The words were silenced by Mir's mouth connecting with Brett's, and he was caught off guard again. She had kissed him without any hesitation; Brett was embarrassed but was offering no resistance. Mir's lips were so soft but firm and he was unable to pull away, but soon Mir pulled away; finally feeling better from this simple thing. She looked away quickly after their lips parted; Mir could not believe what she had done.
 
Brett's hand rubbed her face, and she looked back towards him. “Mir how about we get out of here and go for a walk; I hold enough weight around here that I could get us out easily!” Mir nodded; she really wanted to be with someone that she knew cared about her. Brett escorted her off the base; his clearance easily aloud them to slip out with no problems. Soon they found themselves wandering through the city till they came to a small park.
 
The day was sunny and beautiful; the park was such a beautiful green and Mir was resting her head on Brett's arm as they walked. “Brett; thank you for just being here; I really just needed some one. So I guess you got a promotion while I was gone.” Mir's voice was weak but Brett easily heard, and he just smiled. “Well ever since you left… well lord Uzumi was told of my success and I was given slightly special privileges. But do not worry Mir; you just worry about feeling better.”
 
Together both Mir and Brett walked through the park; Mir was enjoying his company. They sat down in the middle of the park on a nice small green wooden bench. From nearby Mayura was watching Brett from the bushes; she watched them sit for minutes together, and she was not happy with this sight. “Brett you should be doing this with Asagi; I cannot believe you…” Mayura's thoughts only caused her to get frustrated; Brett was going to end up with her instead of Asagi.
 
Mayura was only getting madder with each second she watched; she knew that Asagi's world revolved around Brett, and that Asagi had to make her move soon. It was not that Mayura disliked Mir, but she did want her friend to be happy. Mayura left in a hurry to talk to Asagi, but at that moment Brett's cell phone rang. Brett answered to hear that he had to return. Mir looked down at her feet before she spoke in her soft weak voice. “Brett… I really would like to do this again with you some time…”
 
“I would love to spend more time with you Mir… I just wish you did not have to go through this; because it stops you from smiling.” Mir looked up with hope in her eyes; hope that this guy might become more. The truth was that she was growing attached to Brett, and the fact that Mir had lost Tolle was causing her to move fast to try and fill the gap. Brett escorted Mir back to the ship where they parted; Brett gave her a single last kiss on her forehead. Mir was unsure of what this meant but she was enjoying too much for the thought to last.
 
Brett hurried back Morgenroete to find a small group of people gathered; out side of the mobile suit area. The Strike Gundam had been fully rebuilt, and Brett was looking to pilot it; that is why he had come back. After all he had gone and brought it back, and he was looking at it like it belonged to him.
 
Brett could hear Cagalli's voice from afar, and he did not enjoy what he heard; “I will pilot the Strike…” Brett came running up and slid to a stop right beside Cagalli. “No she won't… I will pilot that Gundam. I'm the better pilot after all and no one is better then me for it. I need this; I can do more in this then anyone else!”
 
It was not a hard choice; Brett was fully ready to pilot the much stronger Strike, but another nearby man had a different idea. “Sorry kid but I think it would be better if I pilot that thing. After all I'm sure that I could be just as great of a pilot as any of you…” Brett knew that this was the famous Mu that he had heard of, but was unwilling to let it end this way.
 
“He is the new owner Brett; besides the Astray commander should be in his special Astray…” Brett turned as he heard Erica's voice; he knew that he was now over ruled but he could not help but feel a little discouraged. “Fine I guess; looks like at this rate I will never get a Gundam…” Brett finished his statement and walked away; the whole reason he had came was for rights to that machine, but he would now have to prove his worth even more.
 
The forty eight hour ultimatum from the Alliance was passing by very fast. Brett was walking with Erica towards the locker room; Brett was becoming very nervous about this. It was his first real battle, and his lack of sleep was causing his mind to become very troubled. No matter how he thought about this; he just could not calm his nerves at all and it was starting to show.
 
In the room all the pilots were standing at attention for when their commander would appear; the girls also had came over for the speech, and were eagerly awaiting Brett. Brett came through with Erica; the sight of all the pilots lined up in front of him caused his heart to skip a beat. Asagi stood there with the other two of the Astray team; she could not help but admire Brett in his yellow orb pilot suit. Brett however was only thinking about how nervous he was, and that he had to protect everyone.
 
“I cannot do this… I just cannot… I'm sorry but I just can't!” Brett spoke those words sending shock through all the pilots; rattling each of their confidence. He turned and bolted out the door before anyone could say anything. The pilots all began to whisper; Brett was easily the best pilot of all of them, and if he was frightened then that caused everyone else to worry. Fear started to creep through every pilot, and Erica was just as shocked as anyone; Brett was not like this, but he was gone now.
 
Mayura used her elbow to nudge Asagi's side; Asagi looked over upon the nudge to see Mayura motioning her head towards the door. “Go Asagi now maybe your only chance and he needs you… I want you to be happy; so go get him.” Asagi had been told about Brett being with Mir; she was still unsure if she was right for him. Then she decided on what she was going to do; she ran out the room, and Mayura could only watch and smile. Mayura knew what Asagi had chosen to do, and to her this was the best outcome for her friend.
 
The door shut behind Asagi; she looked over to see Brett nearby slamming his fist on the wall with tremendous force and speed. He was screaming at the wall as he pummeled it with great force; “why the hell now! I had such resolve to be the best and to save everyone and now I'm too scared to fight! Why am I so scared now? I'm so worthless… and I'm letting everyone down, and I just am not that good. I just not that good, and now people are going to die because of my mistakes!”
 
The words were hurting Asagi's heart; ever since she met Brett there had been no one she had looked up to more. Asagi easily knew that everything Brett was saying was false, but in her mind she had already become set on what he was to her. Asagi mindlessly wandered over to Brett; he was lost in anger at him self and did not notice her till it was too late. Her arms reached out and span Brett around; he was shocked to see Asagi but she was not going to stop at this point, and she pushed through all the doubt that had plagued her before.
 
“Brett… I love you!” Brett had no time to react; the shock had left him completely paralyzed by what Asagi had told him. She immediately moved in and kissed him; and Brett loved everything about the kiss. He had feelings for her to and was so relieved that she had the same feelings. This was what he had wanted to say for so long, but he never figured himself good enough for her.
 
It was exactly like both of them imagined; so soft and warm, and at that point there was no war. This is what the other was dying to experience, and this experience was exceeding there expectations. Not even when they dreamed of this moment; could they ever imagined it being this amazing.
 
The softness of her lips, the smell of her perfume, and everything else was paralyzing Brett, but he did not want to leave this. Everything about this made those ten seconds feel like an eternity of happiness to him. Asagi stopped and pulled away and looked straight into his eyes. “Brett I have always loved you since the moment I met you, and I have loved you since. You are my world and I have always admired everything about you; you are the strongest person I have ever known. That is why I have not told you this for so long… but know I just want to be yours.”
 
“Asagi… I have felt the exact same about you to. I never thought that I was good enough for you; I'm sorry I never told you till now.” Asagi could not believe that he felt the exact same; it was the confirmation that Asagi desperately needed. “Brett I want to be with you; forever as more then just you friend. Please tell me that you feel the same…”
 
The wait for an answer was short lived; Brett agreed with very little thought. The two finally had the relationship with the person they desired most. “Brett I know you will be a great commander with me at your side. I promise that I will give you what ever strength I can… and that I'm going to keep you safe!” Brett kissed her on the lips and she smiled back at him afterwards; Brett was now full of confidence and strength. “I know Asagi, and I will always be there to protect you…”
 
The fact that they were together now seemed to ease the fear of going to war. The knowledge of the other being there to support the other was a gentle relief. Asagi took Brett by the arm and led him back into the room with all the pilots. Asagi would stay by his side no matter how difficult the road ahead was. The pilots turned to see their commander return, and in moment they all stood back in line.
 
A small wink wad offered from Mayura to Asagi; she knew what it meant and smiled back. Everyone could see Asagi wrapped around Brett's arm and they all knew what it meant. Brett paused looking onwards at the assembly of pilots and he had to speak the truth. “To tell the truth I'm scared to death right now, and that there are better people who should be in my position. I'm no where near as good of a pilot as Kira, and even…”
 
The weak speech stopped coming from Brett when Asagi's hand gripped his arm hard. He knew what she was trying to tell him, but he was still very nervous. “You are all great pilots; you will all make every last person in Orb proud today. We are all unsure about our fates, but let me put you all at ease… None of you are going to die out there today. I will not allow any of you to die; you have all exceeded my expectations, and we have a job to do. We will protect Orb and we will all come home safe today; I promise you all that…”
 
Cheers of confidence and strength came from each pilot; Brett's speech had filled them with what they had needed, and soon they all left for their machines. Mayura, Asagi and Juri all surrounded Brett; they congratulated him on his speech. Mayura rubbed the top of his head while Asagi kissed him, but truthfully Brett's heart was not eased at all. He now had to protect everyone; a daunting task that Brett felt he could not accomplish.
 
All three girls had found comfort in Brett's protection; the knowledge of one of the best pilots protecting them was easement on their souls. Erica came over and congratulated Brett on his accomplishment, but Brett needed more then just that. “Mrs. Simmons I need a few favors from you…” Erica had an idea of what he meant, but was hesitant about the very idea.
 
Every Astray and pilot was ready and in position when the deadline came; Brett sat in his blue Astray. He looked out at the future battlefield; his confidence and strength had returned, but only because he needed it now more then ever. “Everyone stay in position; make sure nothing lands and we will all make it. I want you all to be ready for anything; protect the person next to you and they will do the same…”
 
Loud cheers came from everyone, and Brett turned off his communication line and relaxed. He gazed downwards to the large experimental cannon in his mobile suits arms, and the words of Erica came back to him. “Brett please be careful; that cannon is not ready for heavy use. Over use of it will cause it to explode, and chances are you will die. I would rather you not use it, but if it helps then take it… Just make sure you are careful.”
 
Brett took those words to heart; he really needed this strength to do what he had to. Now was his chance to prove that he was one of the best. All of his strength would be used in this battle, and Brett was going to do what he had to. Brett opened his communication line to Kira; “hey Kira just want you to know I got your back. Nothing will happen to you so long as I'm out here…”
 
A brief pause happened between the two; Kira let out a small laugh before he thanked Brett. Still Kira could tell he was nervous; Brett turned back when the timer hit zero, and a wave of missiles were launched into the sky. The missiles were massive in numbers; Brett screamed for everyone to shoot them down. His mobile suit activated, and pulled the trigger on his large cannon sending a huge beam across the sky.
 
The beam ripped through hundreds of missiles in the sky; the blue sky was eclipsed by a thousand missiles exploding across the sky; turning the sky red with flame. The entire wave had almost been destroyed in a single attack, and every one in the Alliance who witnessed the event was shocked. Brett threw his cannon away; he looked of to the distance. “Time for the real battle to begin…”
 
Song kouhoushien
 
Strike Daggers started coming out from the battleships, and from drop ships high above; and more missiles were continually fired. Brett's machine had already picked up two shields; he knew what he had to do. “Everyone continue to stand your ground; protect Orb no matter what.” Brett's thrusters fired; sending Brett high into the air, and into enemy filled air.
 
Higher and higher he flew into the air; Strike Daggers flew through the air towards him and Brett was ready. From behind his shield; a long laser saber extended. Brett's speed was too unbelievable to match, and Brett passed them while slicing through each enemy. He stopped in midair and looked down from a hundred feat above; he span twice. Each spin launched a shield through the air; the shields crashed into two large Alliance carriers sending them to the depths with massive force.
 
The blue Astray began to drop through the air, and with it's the laser rifle began firing at an incredible pace. Brett had already reprogrammed his mobile suit to use more energy in his rifle. Tens of shots were fired in mere seconds; each shot hit a missile or mobile suit. His height gave him a clear vantage point against his enemies, and none survived the first shot fired by Brett.
 
Two legs crashed to the ground; eased by thrusters firing at full power. Brett landed exactly were he took off; quickly he grabbed his third shield and shot back up to a ready position. He whipped around and fired just behind Asagi's mobile suit; she turned to notice that a Strike Dagger had nearly killed her if had not been for Brett. A communication line was opened between the two; “thank you Brett. I knew you would protect me… I will not let it happen again.”
 
Brett smiled at her for a moment before turning to fire at an accelerated rate. Brett ran forward with no concern for his own safety, but Brett was easily pushing him back. Alliance pilots became frightened by this demonstration of skill. Communications started opening one after another; Cagalli, Kira, Asagi, Mayura, Juri, and Erica all came over the line telling Brett to slow down, and to stay with the Astray team, but he was not listening.
 
Erica was monitoring all of Brett's vitals and his mobile suits power level. All of Brett's vitals were being affected to a serious degree; he was not ready for such forces to be acting on his body. Brett looked at everyone wit a serious look; “this is the day when I prove my worth. I will continue to push myself to the very limit and beyond. I will show everyone what I can do… and for the record; I wish my mobile could do more!”
 
Song 06_-_senkou_no_hate_ni
 
The communication line went dead; Brett looked up and smiled shouting for his enemies to bring it on. His mobile suit hovered above the ground, and like it was dancing; the mobile suit twisted and turned while destroying any enemy. Brett arrived at the ocean and gave a single glance back; nothing was left and he just smiled before taking off across the ocean.
 
It was skill that was keeping him ahead; moves that were far beyond basic, and they were astounding to watch. The girls continued to shoot down the Alliances mass produced mobile suit; relying on their team work. The Freedom made's its first appearance, and with it's power; shook the battlefield, and the girls were absolutely amazed. Each comment was more of a reason for Brett to continue onwards.
 
There was simply nothing left to fight in the area Brett had come from. No one who saw what he had none could believe what he had accomplished with an Astray; even if it had better hardware. Brett hovered across the ocean at a high speed, and he was clearly pushing his mobile suit beyond what it should have been capable of. No one could reach him now, and Erica knew what this was doing to him. Asagi was just worried he was going to get shot down, but had to worry about herself; still she did not want him to die now.
 
Brett skimmed across the ocean; his rifle started to fire on each ship he could see; even the distance could not slow his accuracy. Strike Daggers came down through the air trying to kill Brett with surprise and overwhelming odds. The blue Astray threw its rifle up into the air; it moved down wards and ducked beneath so that the Daggers laser sabers missed it. While Brett span over the water he grabbed his sword and cut through one of the enemies.
 
Brett put away his saber before catching his rifle and shooting down the other enemies who had ganged up on him. Brett was losing focus, but he had to persist; more ships were shot down but Brett's focus on his goal was suddenly lost. Brett looked over to see the Freedom being attacked by three Gundams, and Brett had to help. He opened his communication with Kira; “Kira look out!”
 
Suddenly multiple shots were fired from Brett trying to separate Kira from his enemies. Kira told Brett to get back, but Crot, Shani, and Orga had all noticed the approaching blue Astray, and they all saw it the same way. Shani looked down at it and smiled; “oh look at the bug; who wants to get rid of it.” Kira attacked Shani trying to divert his attention but Crot was already on his way. “Time for the pest to die!!!”
 
Crot launched his Mjolnir hammer, and it smashed into Brett's Astray's body sending him backwards with massive force; nearly sinking into the ocean. Brett looked up in time to see a massive beam coming from the Calamity Gundam, and he quickly raised his shield. The blast hit the shield and exploded ensued engulfed the area. Kira cried out to Brett desperately hoping for an answer that he was not gone.
 
All the girls were nervous; no signs of the Astray could be seen through the smoke, and Asagi's heart was beating erratically. The hardest part was to keep moving and fighting; especially since they wanted to know that he was alright. Orga laughed from within his mighty mobile suit; “guess you were to brave for you own good… Can't this nation provide a single challenge!” Orga let out a loud laugh; then his bazooka exploded from a laser that tore through the smoke.
 
Surprisingly the Astray was still floating there, but its entire left arm was gone. The cracked and singed armor was not slowing Brett down, and he was not going to die so easily. That mobile suit standing there; with its eyes still glowing was an insult to the three machines power. There was no reason for it to be in one piece.
 
Song Aku no 3 Heiki
 
Brett's communication line connected with his enemies, and they laid eyes on there enemies face. “Leave Kira, and Orb alone; other wise I swear you will die!” Orga did not like the threat and began to charge in on his enemy. Brett moved backwards at top speed; the force was hurting him immensely but if he stopped then he died.
 
Orga screamed and his mobile suit began firing at Brett with all of his remaining armaments. Brett hit a button diverting power from areas so he could evade better, and he was so glad he had though of this earlier. The mobile suit moved from side to side while Orga continued in his efforts to kill Brett. “Just hurry up and die already; you think you hold a candle to me?” Brett was nervous but his movements made him nearly impossible to pin down.
 
Brett fired at nearby enemies and took more of Orga's allies; causing Orga to push him self beyond belief. The Calamity charged forward and body checked Brett's mobile suit knocking it back through the air. The Astray came crashing to the ground on Orb Territory; Brett looked up to see the Calamity standing right above him. The force of the impact nearly making Brett vomit and he could barely move. Brett was too weak and injured from the fall to be of any use, and it looked to be the end.
 
“You should have stayed in your league you idiot… not like you could have survived anyway!” The Calamity's shield cannons began to charge, and were pointed at the cockpit. “Get the hell away from my boyfriend!” Brett turned his attention to Asagi's voice; she came running up to him and fired at Orga. More Astrays appeared and fired at Orga. It was too much for him, and Orga decided to retreat away for now; disappointed in the lack of a kill.
 
Orga was about to shoot the aggravating mobile suits down when he his body started to give in on him. Asagi used her mobile suit to get Brett up off the ground; “Brett are you ok?” Asagi's voice sounded like she needed reassuring, and Brett summoned more strength. “I'm ok Asagi; you really saved me out there; I think I proved that I'm pretty useless.” Asagi was so happy he was ok, and she was in complete denial of what Brett had just said.
 
The blue Astray lifted its arm and tried to fire, but the rifle had been over used beyond what it was capable of. Brett continued to try and fire, and Asagi was worried about Brett's mental health. Signal flares shot up signaling the Alliances temporary retreat; every Astray pilot was amazed at their leaders strength; the day was theirs even if there would be more to come.
 
Still Brett pulled on the trigger; expecting anything to happen, but it did not. It was over for now, but not in his mind. He still continually believed there was more he could do, and his machine was in bad shape. Then Brett noticed the light seeping in from out side, and he realized that a metal fragment was embedded in his side. “I really was useless out there…”
 
Despite the fact that everyone was worn out; the damage still had been done. Brett looked out at the pointless devastation, and he kept expecting things to have been better. Asagi was worn out, and breathing heavily when she finally relaxed. Still she was only worried about Brett, and she was eager to have him back beside her.
 
Later all of the pilots had all landed; Kira had been reunited with Athrun and it looked like Athrun was going to be on their side. Everyone was resting and recovering; Asagi pored her water on her head; just trying to get some relief from the heat, and so were the other girls. Brett had said he would be the last one out, and Asagi watched his mobile suit eagerly for the first sign of him coming out.
 
Brett's Astray came slowly over and stopped moving; all of the remaining pilots were outside waiting to truly express their feelings of respect. Brett descended from the badly damaged mobile suit; Erica already had medics standing by just in case. The battle had pushed Brett's vitals a few times into the danger zone, and there was no telling how injured he was. She was not going to take any chances
 
Brett's feet hit the ground and Kira's and Cagalli's attention turned to their friend. Brett looked up to see pilots he had met missing from the line up. He realized he had failed them, and his mind was finally over taxed finally; no longer able to deal with anything else. Asagi was about to speak when she noticed Brett going limp, and she rushed over even quicker. Everyone rushed over when they saw him begin to fall; his face hit the ground smashing the glass visor on his helmet, and Asagi started to run even faster; increasing her stride, but nearly losing her footing.
 
Asagi slid in beside him; quickly she turned him over, and removed his helmet. His face was scratched by the glass and was bleeding badly. Asagi cried for a medic while everyone else gathered round Brett; Kira and Cagalli were kneeling beside him. “Brett; why did you have to go and to this to yourself!” Cagalli shouted and Brett woke up momentarily; “I did it for all of you, but I still failed even though I gave it my best. My best just was not good enough…”
 
Tears formed in Brett eyes as he finished speaking; he could not bare the fact that he failed. Almost immediately he began to hack and cough; his final cough sent more blood onto his face before he lost consciousness. Asagi screamed out of fear of him dying, but the medics pushed everyone away. They quickly examined Brett and determined he was still alive. They placed him on a stretcher and took him to the medics along with Asagi, Cagalli, and Erica all traveling by his side. The metal shard in his side only made his condition more severe, and Asagi found this hard to accept.
 
Nerve wracking hours passed, but eventually Brett was in stable condition. Erica came out to see all the Astray pilots waiting eagerly; along with Kira, Athrun, Mir, Cagalli, Juri, Mayura, and Asagi. Asagi ran by Erica straight in to be by Brett's side; everyone else waited for the report about his health from Erica, and it was bitter sweet news to her. “Brett will be fine… but he has pushed himself to hard; just like I feared he would.”
 
“He was continually under immense forces, and he tried so hard that tore his muscles apart. He is recovering very quickly but, he simply cannot be aloud to do that to himself again…” Cagalli waited for a moment before being the next to speak her mind, and she had a lot to say. “That idiot…! He has no clue how close he came to dying, and he is just going to end up pushing himself harder and harder.” Kira was also unhappy with Brett; “he should not have gone up against a Gundam. I just could not help him…!”
 
“I do not think that Brett will be going out next time; both he and his mobile suit are badly damaged. To be honest I think Brett will do his best to be out tomorrow, but I will see if I can get him to not go so hard at least. Regardless Brett is a very valuable asset; our losses were no where near as bad as the Alliances. You all should go get some rest, and Brett will be fine soon enough if I know him.”
 
Cagalli suddenly got angry; “I'm staying right here with Brett…!” Cagalli ran in along with Mayura, Juri, Mir, and Kira all ran in to see Brett. Most of the other pilots were glad to know there leader was okay, and the rest decided to leave and rest. Athrun was about to enter to see Brett as well when Erica stopped him. “Please make sure they all get some rest… I know they are worried, but I think we will end up fighting again tomorrow.”
 
Athrun nodded and entered the room; Asagi was laying right beside Brett on his bed. She was asleep with her arms around him; her head was pressed against the side of Brett's and she looked so happy. Cagalli was happy to see them together; she settled in a nearby chair and just was happy to see most everyone safe. Kira left along with Athrun, while Mir, Mayura, and Juri all decided to stay in the room; finding anywhere they could to sleep.
 
Asagi was fast asleep, but so happy to be beside Brett; even if she was still in her pilot suit. That night many of the pilots got the sleep needed, and the Alliance stayed quiet and peaceful. It would not remain that way for long though, and morning came too soon for many. Brett awoke with Asagi; Brett slowly got up despite Asagi telling him not to. Surprisingly Brett felt no pain just lying there, but Asagi was very concerned, and Brett decided to slow down for her.
 
All the other girls woke up from the noise and rushed to his side. All of them continually asked Brett if he was really ok, and Brett was still just trying to overcome the pain of getting up so fast. “I'm fine girls; I really am, and I will be going out there again today. I can do this…” Cagalli looked at him; she was not enthused and was very wary about this. “Brett you almost ended up killing yourself; Mrs. Simmons will never let you go out unless you promise to take it easy and not go to so hard. If it was up to me you just would not!”
 
Brett shook his head, but then Asagi spoke up; “I want him out there with me.” Cagalli was a little surprised, but then Mayura and Juri stepped up. “We will protect him as well…” Mayura sat on the other side of Brett and patted him on the back; “we cannot let our leader just sit back. He will be fine because we will look after him on our next outing.” Mayura was smiling at Brett, and he thanked her.
 
Mir stood back; she realized that Brett did not need her at all; Brett had already found love and companionship with others. Slowly Mir wandered out of the room without making a sound; her heart was hurt by this result, and she just left. Asagi kissed Brett in front of everyone, but he was still uneasy and a little weak. His skills were going to suffer, but he did not want to push him self any harder and worry Asagi again.
 
Defensive positions were taken up, and Brett sat in his repaired Astray. The three girls were at his side ready to defend Orb and Brett to the death, but Brett was protecting them to. His mind was suffering from the pain, but then the next attack began.
 
Missiles and Strike Daggers began to approach Orb; they landed and slowly began to destroy armaments and Astrays without mercy. Brett shots were still as accurate and fast, but he could not move like he use to. Brett cleared the area around the girls despite his injured body. Asagi was still cheering and praising him, but Astrays were still falling at a much faster rate. No matter how many Daggers were shot down; only more appeared.
 
Orbs military forces were being wiped out; the three Gundams of the Earth Alliance were searching through the forces. They wanted only to find who ever had humiliated them before. Now they were taking down less powerful machines like it was nothing, and they enjoyed every second of destruction. Still they got bored quickly, and they wanted the big fish.
 
Kira was continuing to protect everything with all his strength; Orga searched for Kira and Brett. Both of those pilots were the most aggravating things to Orga right now. Orga flew high above but stopped when he laid eyes on the blue Astray; Brett looked up to see the Calamity. Brett commanded the girls to run, but they all were all going to stay with Brett.
 
The Calamity was about to fire when Brett shot through both shoulder Cannons on the Calamity. Orga cursed Brett and readied to fire when another blast was fired from a great distance. Kira came swooping in forcing the Calamity back; “Brett don't push yourself to hard!” Kira's voice was a relief to Brett, and Brett was shaking from nearly being unable to do anything; Asagi's mobile suit approached Brett. “Brett are you Ok…? Do you need to leave…?”
 
Mayura and Juri stood guard while Asagi demanded an answer, and Brett answered despite his quivering. “I don't think I can continue, but I will not leave you… any of you.” Asagi was touched and so were the other two girls, but this battle was looking to be impossible. A message came across everyone's screen telling them to retreat to Kaguya. Brett quickly gave the order to retreat and everyone complied; still he shivered. He could not even begin to imagine how this had scared him, and he just shook it off.
 
The Alliance had called yet another retreat, and everyone could now breath again, but the battlefield was ruined with massive mobile suit debris. All the Astrays were ordered to head to the mass driver facility; they loaded all of the Astrays onto the Kusanagi. The second Brett was loaded onto the ship; he could do nothing more. “Asagi I need to…” Asagi took one look and finished loading her Astray; “stay right there I will come get you…”
 
The two other girls in the Astray team immediately told Asagi they would handle the rest. Asagi got out of her Mobile suit and rushed to help Brett; she climbed up and got Brett out. Some of his old wounds had opened up, and Asagi helped him out and down. They traveled together into the interior and sat down in a pair of chairs. Asagi had grabbed a medical kit, and was now attending to Brett's wounds that had re-opened.
 
“Asagi… Please do not leave me…” Asagi smiled and her eyes watered from his words; “I have no intention of leaving you. You are my only concern right now, and I will stay with you. Damn the Earth Alliance for almost taking our lives; I will never forgive them!” Brett passed out from exhaustion; over the last few days the lack of rest and made him weary, but the strain on his body had done him in.
 
Soon the ship was loaded and ready to go; all the pilots were a board and ready to leave for space. Asagi, Mayura, Erica, and Juri all sat beside Brett who was asleep. Asagi kept wiping his face and holding his hand. She was nervous about this; it was her first time going into space, and it was going to be very different for her, but so long as Brett was with her she would be fine.
 
The ship started to accelerate down the mass driver to the point where it was shot off the rail up into space. The forces were rough and every pilot had problems; except for Brett who looked to be sleeping very peacefully. Asagi grabbed hold of his arm and squeeze tight, and suddenly they heard Cagalli cry out, and everyone knew what happened to lord Uzumi.
 
Brett's eyes opened and he leaned over and kissed Asagi once before he fell back asleep; trying to find comfort for both of them. Asagi looked up but he was already asleep again; “Brett I really do love you, and after the war I we will live a happy life together.” Asagi could hear small muffled words coming from Brett about how he wanted nothing more, but the future still held more battles for both.
 
“Kira to the bridge; Kira to the bridge… The Eternal has begun its decent.” Kira jumped up when he hear Mrs. Murrue's voice come over the intercom. “LACUS…!” Kira shouted before running off to the bridge; Mir knew Lacus was in trouble, but she was still stricken with grief.
 
Song River
 
After Kira left for space; Orb was again under attack but this time by Zaft. Asagi wandered out of her room; she was fully healed now, and soon found herself on the bridge. The word of a battle taking place in Orb hurt Asagi's already broken heart. She had lost the person she loved more then anything, and she would not lose her home.
 
Asagi ran out of the room and suited up; she shoved one of the other Murasame pilots out of the way and boarded his mobile suit. She looked out the exit and got ready for launch; her mind was set on a self destructive pattern now that she had lost so much. “I lost the person I love; I will not lose my home!” her mobile suit took off in mobile armor mode; she was going to save her country for Brett's memory.