Gundam SEED Fan Fiction ❯ Chaotic Outbreak Infinite Energy ❯ Chapter 4 Return From the Dead ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 4 Return From the Dead
 
The battle paused around the area where two brand new Gundams hovered; one carrying Kira and the other holding Lacus. Kira asked Cagalli to leave for Orb headquarters; Cagalli left in her damaged golden mobile suit to regain control of what she should have never given up. Shinn sat there in his mobile suit filled with disbelief; the Freedom which he had shot down floated before him.
 
The new machine was a thousand times better then the one he had fought, but Shinn would not be intimidated by this new version. The Infinite Justice left for the Archangel while Kira began to fight with Shinn. The Strike Freedom's beam shield made it nearly impossible for Shinn to land anything, and Kira was not going to hold back again.
 
The two machines clashed with their blades and shield; neither winning the fight. Asagi stood on the bridge being held by another Murasame pilot; Asagi tried to struggle free, but was easily overpowered by the larger pilot. “Mrs. Murrue please let me go out; I have to avenge Brett. That ship took him away and I will get my revenge no matter what… please let me go out there. I have to do this…!”
 
“Absolutely not…!” Murrue said in a loud voice while missiles exploded around the ship causing it to shake violently. Murrue turned to look at Asagi who was still in her pilot suit after being detained for attempting to steal a mobile suit. Murrue was not without sympathy, but she could not with Asagi the way she was. Asagi was not thinking straight; if she was let out she could easily lose her life from her emotional status.
 
“Miss Asagi… I understand that you are still in a lot of pain from your loss… but you are not the only one. Brett was a good friend to all of us, and I doubt very much that you are capable right now of staying safe out there… If you go out there you will die as well and that is something I will never have intentions of letting happen. You are just as valuable as Brett was and we cannot afford to let anyone else die…”
 
No matter how sentimental and touching Murrue's words could have been; the fact was they were not enough to convince Asagi. She did not think for a second that her life was near as valuable as Brett's. The Infinite Justice landed, and immediately Asagi took notice of the new mobile suit; she needed to avenge Brett. “Please allow me to go out in anything; I just need to avenge him…”
 
“I cannot sit by; that ship killed him; I hate that ship…! It has taken the thing that was the most important thing in my life. It took Brett away; I miss him so much… he saved my life twice and without him I would be dead. There is so much that I will never experience with him, and he is the only guy I have ever truly loved. I was going to spend the rest of my life with him, and now I have lost him, and that ship is now trying to take my home and life away… I hate them, and I just want Brett back!”
 
Tears had started to poor down Asagi's face, and it was heart breaking to everyone who heard it. Murrue was having a hard time, but still Asagi's actions were being dictated by rage, and she could not allow the request. Asagi looked up at the monitor to see another mobile suit was heading towards the Freedom, but this time it was an old ally. “Kite and the Prometheus… they are with Zaft now? This… this just can't be happening…”
 
Missiles exploded just a small distance away from the Archangel; the rage of the explosion shook the Archangel violently. Asagi lost her footing and fell to the metal floor; her legs were trembling even after the explosion. Mir quickly got out of her seat and rushed to Asagi's side; Asagi was looking like she was in rough shape. Mir tried to steady her, but she was trembling and could not stop crying.
 
Kira's attention immediately turned to the Prometheus; the Strike Freedom moved out of the way just as twenty lasers rained down where it once was. A known face appeared on both Shinn's and Kira's; “Shinn you are to get to Minerva and let your machine be re-supplied. Rey said you need time to prepare and get ready; something about if you want to beat him… then you have to go rest and focus your thoughts. I can deal with this thing!”
 
The Destiny continued to attack, but now it was two on one, and Kira was having a hard time blocking both continually taxing assaults. Mir slowly helped Asagi up off the cold metal floor; Asagi's expression was now exactly like a lifeless doll. Tears still leaked out from Asagi's eyes, but she just could not deal with all of this. Mir knew how hard it was to lose someone you love, but twice was unimaginable for Mir, and Brett meant more then anything in Asagi's life.
 
The Destiny had finally retreated back to the Minerva to re-supply and rest for a moment, but the Prometheus continued to fight Kira. His multiple dragoon units swarming from every side of the Strike freedom, and Kite was very confident in his skills. “So you must be Kira; I know we have fought before but I feel I need to introduce myself. My name is Kite, and you are the great Kira Yamato… Friend to the now deceased Brett; to be honest I'm so he is gone. That idiot was nothing more then a waste of space…”
 
More beams surrounded Kira's mobile suit from all sides, but Kira was not going to let this person take him down after what he had just said. “You… Brett was a good person… and he should be alive…” Kite smiled and laughed at Kira; “sorry that was amusing… Brett was a fool just like Asagi. Oh how is that girl; I hope she is on that ship; listening to this. No doubt her broken heart has crippled her… pathetic as far as I'm concerned but she disserves it for aggravating me. The only regret I have; is not shooting Brett down myself!!!”
 
A single slash just missed the Prometheus; Kite took a instant to recover before dodging another slash from the Strike Freedom. Kira could not find the words for this despicable person, and was thrown into a state of rage over the cruel heartless comments. Kite was slowly making his way back to the Archangel, but Kira's mobile suit cut him off at every turn and was easily matching him. The Strike Freedom's dragoons rained lasers down, but the Prometheus's shield blocked them making it seem near invincible.
 
Mir moved Asagi so she sat back against a wall beside the entrance to the bridge; she was acting lifeless; like all the happiness was gone and would never return. No matter what happened around the ship; nothing seemed to phase the young woman. Suddenly weeping started coming from Asagi, and her words were broken by sad sobs. “Brett you idiot… why did you have to die and leave me alone? I hate you for doing that to me, but I would trade my life for one more day with you… It's your entire fault for being so nice to me…”
 
Mir could only attempt to calm the young blond down, but nothing could possibly stop this. Athrun appeared on the monitor; he requested to leave and aid in the battle. Murrue looked out to see that Kira was being engaged by the Prometheus, the Destiny, and the Legend all attacking Kira, and Murrue was still reluctant. “Please Mrs. Murrue; Athrun will be just fine out there. Please allow him to launch…”
 
Murrue turned to see Lacus as she entered the bridge behind her; in an instant Murrue gave the go ahead to Athrun. While the mobile suit launched; Lacus took notice of Asagi. Lacus kneeled beside her and held Asagi in her arms. “Asagi I'm so sorry about Brett… I wish he did not have to die…” Asagi started to cry even harder, and Mir needed to say something. “After this we will go visit Brett's grave…” Asagi agreed and exclaimed that she just wanted to see him again.
 
Asagi was continually questioning why things had to lead to this point. The Destiny was now being engaged by the Infinite Justice with Athrun; the voice of Athrun jarring his soul. Kira took on both other enemies mobile suits; their Dragoons swarming the Freedom. Suddenly Neo face appeared requesting to land, and Murrue instantly commanded the maintenance crew about the landing. The plane came in for its rough landing, and memories of his previous life flashed through Neo's mind.
 
The older man that sat behind Mir noticed a small beeping sound coming from Mir's terminal. He turned slightly and saw the warning on Mir's screen; he quickly jumped from his seat and called Mir over. Mir left Asagi in Lacus's care; she sat down at her post and looked at the screen. “Mrs. Murrue…! We have another object coming from space and it is directly above us!”
 
This was ridiculous; this battle was very chaotic and things were getting out of hand. “What..? Another one; is it ours or the enemies; Mrs. Lacus is this one of ours?” Lacus shook her head and Mir went to work; “I cannot identify… The thermal patterns just cannot pick up on an object traveling that fast. What ever it is coming straight for us!”
 
“We cannot take much more; if this is another Gundam then we might be finished, and I refuse to allow that!” Murrue shouted to the crew; the object traveled fast towards the earth bellow; it moved fast at a speed that was astounding. The size was huge, but strangely it pulled up before it came close to the ground. Almost everyone's attention was drawn to the fiery object, and slowly it cooled from a fiery red.
 
A beam shot out from the object and formed a purple laser blade; the object moved towards the Archangel and cut Zaft mobile suits. Mir suddenly shouted that she identified what it was, and Asagi looked up. The object cooled to a reddish purple color and ripped by the Prometheus. The blade slamming into the Prometheus's shield, and taking Kite by complete surprise.
 
The force was incredible, and kite was being shaken violently inside his mobile suit. The force slowly prying into the energy shield, and then it finally broke through. The sword tore through the shield, and took the arm of the Prometheus; Kite inside stunned. Finally the blade and mobile suit passed by seconds later; the Prometheus Gundam missing part of it's large metal wings, and damaged to an extreme extent. Kite was speechless an then the object stooped in front of the Archangel stopping before the bridge, and Asagi stopped crying and talking except for a few words. “It can't be…”
 
Large metallic wings spread out; blocking the Archangel's bridge from sight. The head of the mobile suit turned and looked at the bridge. The pilot appeared on the screen of Archangel's bridge; the sight knocking the wind from most everyone. “Sorry I worried you all again; I hope I'm still welcome here?” Asagi was in total disbelief, and at first could not bring her self to believe this; “Brett are you real… you are… Brett, Brett, Brett!”
 
So many voices suddenly came through the speakers in Brett's speakers. “YOU STUPID BASTARD…! How the hell can just say that after almost dying…!” Brett laughed at Cagalli's comment; knowing full well how much he was going to get it from her, and Brett heard Kira and Athrun welcome him back. “Asagi I'm so sorry for putting you through this, but I promise I will make it up to you… and this time I will definitely come back to you.”
 
Asagi nodded and Brett's face disappeared; she was not going to let him go when he got back. “I will be waiting for you… I know you will come back, and when you do I'm not going to let you leave me…” This battle was going to end; Kite was fighting with Zaft, and Brett could only theorize what had happened in his absence. “Why are you on Zaft's side Kite; are you a traitor too?” Kite laughed; “you have no clue what happened do you? Things have changed, and you know I'm glad you came back; because I get to kill you my self now!”
 
Prometheus started to move, but the Epyon had already started to fly towards it. “One last time Kite… surrender or else…!” Brett waited but only heard the last threat that he would make. All of the Prometheus's Dragoons launched and fired at the Epyon, but each shot missed the Epyon due to the amazing speed and agility it possessed.
 
To Kite it was unbelievably fast, and it was causing him to perspire. The sweat distracting him as it ran down his face; his heart racing from the fight against a worthy opponent. He was not going to lose, but his vision was now less then perfect. The violent impact from the Epyon had shattered his glasses slightly; impairing his vision. His vision dwindling, and the Epyon closing in; he had to make a stand.
 
“I will not surrender; I hate you! I hate you for everything that you have; everything I lost. My father is dead now, and it is because of you and that bitch!!!” Brett had stopped listening halfway through; he was not going to let this continue.
 
Fayt sent two dragoons to the bridge of the Archangel, and the rest surrounded the Epyon. A short burst of speed, and Brett's Gundam slipped past the final wave of defense that Prometheus had. Kite squirmed in his seat just when the blade of the Epyon passed through the middle of his machine. The cut so precise that it had passed through the cockpit of the Prometheus, and it was a heartless thing, but Brett was done fooling around.
 
After a clash of blades between the Destiny and the Justice; the Destiny's right hand was severed and a few seconds later exploded. A shuttle launched from inside Orb's territory, and two Murasames launched into sky. The Force Impulse shot by both of them and tried to end this battle and the Logos member aboard, but could not land a hit despite the pilots best efforts.
 
The Archangel descended bellow the water and fired up at the Minerva; Brett came in relieving stress from the Kira. The Epyon began to push the Legend back and Rey cursed him for getting involved, but Brett would not back down. The Epyon was so incredibly quick; taking advantage of the heavy Legend Gundam's weakness. Multiple sword slashes came close, and Brett finally decide to back off when The Legend backed down.
 
The Archangel fired and destroyed the Zaft subs; the shift in power turning the tide. The captain of the Minerva cringed at the thought of a retreat, but there was no choice/ A few seconds passed, and then finally signal flares shot out from the Minerva. All enemies forces retreated leaving Orb still standing after the harsh battle; damaged, but still fairly safe.
 
Kira moved next to Brett in his machine, and then Kira appeared on Brett's screen. “Brett… It is really good to see you again…” The Justice approached the two friendly mobile suits and appeared on both pilots screens. “Hey Brett good to see you again; hopefully this time you will lay off the heroics… you seem to be having bad luck with those…” Brett nodded and laughed before taking a deep breath and relaxing; the friendly comments reassuring him that he was home.
 
Later Brett descended his machine after boarding the Archangel; Brett walked over to Kira and hugged him. Even if awkward; Brett was under the impression while he was absent that Kira was dead. He backed away, and Athrun put a hand on his shoulder; giving him a friendly smile, but a voice broke the moment. “BRETT…!” Asagi shouted while running over to see him; she stopped and ripped Brett's helmet. She looked into his eyes and put her hand to his face; she was still in her pilot suit; she was far to excited to change.
 
A single loud slap echoed through mobile suit hanger aboard the Archangel; Brett's head was slightly turned with a red cheek and his eyes closed. He slowly opened his eyes and looked at Asagi's bunched up face with a furious expression across her face. Brett was about to speak, but Asagi cut him off; “shut up…! You have no idea how hard it was to go to your funeral! You are never going to do that again; do you even have any idea how much you mean to me; you… you idiot!!!”
 
Kira and Athrun tried to not to stare as much as possible; Asagi was letting Brett have it for all that he did, and it was quite a scene. The returning Murasame pilots stood by waiting for a chance to say hello, but were to afraid of Asagi. Brett was still a legend after the war, and many pilots idolized him since Erica Simmons and Cagalli made sure that the original Astray team and Brett were never forgotten. The pilots waited but then another slap across Brett's face echoed through the large storage area; again making every guy cringe at the beating Brett was receiving.
 
“Sorry Asagi, but I did not want any of you to die, and it was my only option. I had to protect you… I'm really sorry for putting you through that, but I guess I hurt you too much. I know I messed up, but I just hope you can forgive me; it's not like I could just stand by and watch you die… I'm just so sorry, and I love you.”
 
Brett started to walk away when Asagi grabbed his arm and pulled him back into her arms. She put her head over his shoulder and hugged him with all the strength in her body. “You were always my idol, and I loved you since we first met so long ago… You are never going to leave my side ever again; I just won't let you. I still love you and you are the only person I will ever love… you saved my life and I gave you mine forever. I want to have a full life with you, so do not leave me; after this war, marry me…”
 
Tensions were high with everyone listening; Lacus stood by the entrance with Mir, Murrue, Neo, and Meyrin. All of them wanted to hear Brett's answer; Brett and Asagi looked into each others eyes and were together in their own world. “Asagi… Nothing would make me happier then for you to be my wife, and even if I fight again… I swear that I will not die and that after this war… no wait.”
 
Everyone watched on the edge of their seats; wondering what Brett was doing till he got down on one knee for Asagi. “I know I don't have a ring for you, but I will. What I mean to ask you is… will you marry me Asagi Caldwell.”
 
Short breaths came from Asagi; the proposal making her eyes water up. It did not matter if there was never going to be a ring; this was what she had dreamed of for so many knights. “Of course I will marry you!!!”
 
Not another moment passed between Brett's declaration and Brett getting up and back into Asagi's arms; moments before they finally sealed the promise with a kiss. The kiss lasted for a while; Kira walked over and stood next to Lacus. Lacus wondered if Kira would do the same after the war; everyone else could not help but get lost in the mood, and Brett and Asagi were so happy together.
 
The kiss lasted for half a minute before they finally parted; Asagi continually lay more kisses across Brett's face. She stopped when Brett brushed through her hair with his hand and she blushed. “Asagi I swear that I will marry you after the war…” Asagi smiled, but then they both turned and noticed everyone had seen everything. Together they blushed a dark shade of red from embarrassment, but Asagi finally broke down and cried out in joy. “Were getting married!!!”
 
Everyone else rushed over to see and congratulate the two; the Murasame pilots were all beside them selves to be meeting a real legend that had come back from the dead. Brett greeted Mir and Lacus who congratulated Brett on his engagement, and Kira, Athrun, Neo, and Murrue all joined in congratulating the two.
 
Brett then met Meyrin for the first time, and instantly became friends. She had heard some stories about Brett, and how he had fought beside Athrun; to her he was pretty cool. His records and accomplishments made him almost as cool as Athrun. She could not wait to get closer to another legend, and the fact of his miraculous survival made it only more impressive.
 
Mu grabbed Brett and put him in a head lock; he looked down on Brett who looked up at him. “Come on kid; we need to celebrate such a happy event. Lets go toast your future together with everyone else… just try not get yourself killed before the big day.” Brett nodded in agreement despite the fact that his head could not move. Mu let him go and led him out the door towards the eating facilities of the Archangel.
 
Asagi watched Brett be led out with all the guys; she could not help but smile at him as she watched, but she was eagerly anticipating some alone time. All the girls surrounded Asagi and smiled at her; “Miss Asagi I'm so happy that you will be getting married. Planning a wedding can be such a chore; I'm sure we would all be glad to aid you in anything we can.” Asagi nodded to Lacus's kind action, and all the other girls agreed to help out.
 
“Miss Asagi… I'm very happy for you that Brett came back; this is very good news for everyone. What ever you and Brett choose to do from this point on is fine with us…” Murrue smiled as she finished, and Asagi wondered what would happen from this point on.
 
The more she thought about it; the more she wanted to just leave it all behind, but she knew Brett had his own choice to make. “I do not want Brett to ever pilot a mobile suit again… losing him once was hard enough, but I cannot lose him again. However I doubt Brett will abandon all of you… so I will leave it up to him; I can't make his mind up for him.”
 
The smile across Asagi's face started to fade, but Mir was not going to let this ruin the happy mood. “Even if Brett does fight it will be to protect you, and I doubt he will let himself get killed again. I don't he would dare risk it; we will all make sure he comes back safe! So who is going to be your bride's maids…?” The question made Asagi blush in embarrassment; the girls all lead Asagi out to go toast her engagement while she considered the question.
 
Brett raised his glass to everyone that was now together in the eatery; “I would like to thank you all for the warm welcome back; at the time I did what I did because it was the right thing at the time… and I'm sorry for what I put you all through; especially Asagi. I could not imagine life without her… she is perfect for me, and I hope I can be half as good for her. I need to apologize for my actions; I have made many mistakes over my life, and those choices have hurt people I love…”
 
A brief pause happened; Asagi was so attracted to Brett right now; but still she could tell he really did regret what he did to her. “I'm glad to be back… there is no one I love more then Asagi… and you are all the most amazing friends and allies. That is why I will stay with you all to the end, but I will not die for Asagi and my future together is to important. We both have been through a lot and I would not want to experience it with anyone else…”
 
Asagi thought back on her past with Brett; she could remember three instances where Brett had saved her, and even helped her recover from the first war. Without him she would probably be dead, and that thought made him seem all the more precious to her. “I cannot wait for us to be married and I promise to get her a beautiful ring as a symbol of my devotion. I want you all to be there when we have this, and while I cannot speak for Asagi's choices… I do want Kira to be my best man.”
 
Kira stood up and nodded; confirming that he would be Brett's best man, and Brett had a huge smile that he just could not hide. “Thank you Kira for doing me this honor; you really are a great friend. I will protect all that I love, but I will never do anything foolish again… I will protect you all, and I will not risk my future; we have all been through so much, and I just want Asagi to be happy above everything else; to repay her for making my life worth living.”
 
Everyone began applauding Brett's speech and Asagi stood at his side, and turned and kissed him on the cheek; feeling pride that he was finally going to be her husband. Before everyone was about to drink till Mu stood up and began to speak to the crowd. “That was a well done speech young man… Asagi is a lucky young woman to have you, and I'm sure you two will have a very happy long life together. If you ever need anything… we will all be here to support you two. So lets all drink to the happy engaged couple…!”
 
Drinks where downed upon Mu's words and everyone cheered afterwards. The group separated and began talking to one another in a small celebration. Asagi noticed Lacus coming up towards Brett; Asagi kissed Brett on the cheek and left so Brett could talk alone. She had no reason to not trust Brett with anyone; she was just happy to have him back. Still she wondered how she had gotten so lucky; to get the guy she had considered to be her dream guy, but she did and it was hard not to smile to that thought.
 
Brett turned and noticed Lacus; she approached him with a smile and then led him over to a table nearby where they sat alone. Lacus greeted Brett kindly, and suddenly Brett was beside him self and completely embarrassed. “Mrs. Lacus…? You actually remember me… to be honest I'm a little surprised you even know my name considering how little time I have actually known you… I have only talked to you maybe twice.”
 
“Of course I remember you Brett: you did only introduce yourself as my biggest fan…” Brett looked away from Lacus; “well I was probably not your biggest, but I did go to one of your concerts during the previous war… but I never figured myself to be that special for someone like you to remember. You are one of the most famous people in the entire world… so you have to forgive me. I just don't see myself as that important of a person to anyone.”
 
“I see you are still the same… I'm glad you survived that horrible war… but even know we are in the same situation.” Brett laughed at her words causing Lacus to focus on Brett; who was looking off in the distance. “You are probably worried about Kira's safety… you know I was always happy that the two of you ended up together. You two always looked good together from the first moment I saw you together, and I think that after the war you two should get married and start a family. Kira probably wants to… you would be a great mother.”
 
Immediately Lacus's face was bright red at the thought, but she was simply too embarrassed to admit the truth. “That is very sweet of you to say; I hope you and Asagi are very happy together… but truthfully I do not think you should come with us. You both have almost lost part of your lives; only because you refused to die. It must have been hard for both of you I just think that you two should leave, and restart where you left off.”
 
Brett looked over at Asagi who was talking with some other pilots and Mir. “It was harder on Asagi then me; I was the one who handled all that. I watched Asagi go through hell, and she keeps telling me that I'm the reason she is okay. I did not go through anything; Asagi suffered, and I had to be strong… I watched them torture her to make me do what… I have to make it up to her; it is my fault.”
 
“Mrs. Asagi is fine because of you, but are you sure you are indeed alright. Going through everything could not have been easy, and you should not have to handle that by yourself… Really I must apologize for not looking harder for you; we should have searched harder for the both of you. I should have persisted; I knew full well how important you were, and I neglected my responsibility to all of you who fought so hard for my cause.”
 
“No Lacus; it's not your fault… it is mine for making Asagi come with me on this. I'm glad to be fighting with you again Lacus; because I still need to protect Orb and Asagi from this new enemy. If I stood by then I would be doing nothing, and think that you would all be fighting; would be wring. Lacus smiled at Brett and began to speak in a soft voice; “just do not die Brett; no one wants that to happen to you or Asagi.”
 
“Hey Lacus stop hogging the man of the hour…” Lacus turned to see Mir and smiled at her. “Oh sorry Mir I'm done talking to Brett; you probably need to talk to him so I will just go find Kira…” Mir smiled and laughed as Lacus rose from her seat. “You can stay if you want Lacus…” Lacus just smiled before leaving, and then Mir turned back to Brett. “Hello Mir; I doubt you are happy with me are you…?”
 
A deadly stare was offered from Mir at Brett; “you have absolutely no idea how hard it was to watch you die! Now you are back and act like nothing happened… it was really hard for everyone onboard this ship. I mean we just get you back and then you go back and almost die a second time. Cagalli is definitely going to let you have it; just be glad I'm taking the high road.” Mir paused for a second before leaning over the table and hugging him.
 
“Glad to see you are not too mad at me Mir; I'm sorry but it seemed right at the time. I know you have had feelings for me since… well you know when. I'm sorry that I hurt all of you, but a lot has happened and I really should have died twice now. Mir I really want you around after the war… when we all pull through this I want to stay friends.” Mir pulled away and sat down; “Brett I know you and Asagi will be getting married, and I will for sure be with you for the wedding… but beyond that if she has you I might not stay.”
 
“Mir I wish you would stay close by; you are a really good friend and I'm happy I'm with you again.” Mir got up and looked down at Brett; “do not break Asagi's heart again. She is lucky to have you, but she was hurt the most. I really want you to make her happy; she is lucky to have you; anyone would be. You are not the kind of person I would want to break my heart…” Mir left without another word till suddenly he heard someone ask permission to be seated.
 
The Murasame team was standing waiting to be seated, and moments later they all fought to be seated right beside by Brett. “Master Brett it is such an honor to be seated with you… you are a legend; the things you did back then in an Astray is amazing! When we learned how to be better pilots you were always the goal; many still don't come close to your accomplishments.” Brett rubbed the back of his head and bowed; “I'm no legend. I died a long time ago during the last war. I'm alive now for Asagi, but that me died a long time ago…”
 
The pilots all disagreed; none of them they could believe who they were talking to. “Non sense master Brett; when we were in the academy to be retrained we all were told of your exploits. Lady Cagalli and Mrs. Simmons both praised you with the highest regards. You were always what we strived to be, and the entire program was dedicated to you and the original Astray team who fought to protect all of us. No doubt you are the real thing, and it is an honor.”
 
Brett's face was completely red; he could not believe that something was dedicated to him, and another pilot started to speak; excited like the others. “Master Brett; when lady Cagalli spoke of you; it was always in the highest regards. She said that she would never let one of her best friends memories die. Your skill is legendary from each of the battles you fought; everyone here and most pilots in orb has the highest respect for you. Now that you are alive; you surely will be an inspiration to everyone in Orb, and every member of our team.”
 
“Please guys you are embarrassing me; I'm not as great as Cagalli gives me credit. To be honest I still live in the shadow of Kira; he far surpasses me…” Brett's words tried to subdue his fans, but none of the pilots took it more then modesty. “We have heard all about you, and we know you are a legend… you designed the Os and fought in the war. You took on the Providence in an Astray… Brett we are all honored to be fighting at your side, and we will gladly protect you with our lives… for lady Asagi's sake as well. She to was commemorated as a hero of Orb.”
 
“Thank you all; it is an honor to be fighting along side with you. I will protect you and you shall protect me, but do not get your self killed on my account…please…I have no intention of dying, and neither should you.” Brett finished and excused him self; finding it a little exciting to be a hero. The team gathered round and talked about their encounter; most could not believe how lucky they were to have spoken with him. Brett walked till he heard Athrun calling him over.
 
The seat was pulled out and Brett sat down next to Athrun; “hey Brett… I was pretty shocked when I heard you came back from the dead once, but twice… well it's good to see that you are alive and well. You had me pretty worried when I saw you got shot down, but Cagalli always told me you were someone who strived to be the best. Now you are going to be getting married…”
 
“Yeah I guess I am… you know I'm sure Cagalli would not mind if you did the same with her eventually.” Athrun nodded to Brett's statement; “perhaps, but I'm in no rush right now.” Brett laughed; “no you probably are not, but then again I know what Asagi has been through. She really needs something stable in her life besides just me as her boyfriend. She was badly hurt in many ways; I love her so this is not really rushing to me, but…”
 
Athrun's hand landed on Brett's shoulder and Brett looked over at him. “Well then it is probably right for you and her; just try to stay alive this time; for some reason I don't think it is a good idea…” Brett just laughed; “yeah I know… that is the general sentiment around here. But I'm glad to see you again Athrun, but you should probably go get some rest, and I need to talk to a few other people…” Brett got up and left just when Mu grabbed his arm and pulled him over to his side with Murrue standing next to him.
 
“Brett it is good to see you are alright…” Mu looked over at Murrue in disbelief. “Come on Captain… one of your soldiers returns from the dead for the second time, and this is all you have to say? Oh well… so kid how did you like my little speech? I know it was not impressive as yours but…” Brett suddenly spoke up cutting Mu off; “it was great commander… thanks for doing that. I know that this is not the best time for a proposal considering everything…”
 
“I'm sure you got your reasons for what you did, but it is always the right time for love… right captain…?” Murrue could not find any real words to respond with, but then Brett decided to speak up. “Well I thank you both for the support you have given me… it still feels weird that everyone here has accepted me.” Murrue put a hand on Brett's shoulder and started to speak very compassionately. “Well do not work yourself to hard; we will all try to make this a little easier on both of you…”
 
“Come on Captain… the kid probably wants to go find his future wife…” Mu finished speaking and pulled Murrue off away from Brett. Brett turned towards the door, but Meyrin was standing in front of him now. “Hi there Brett…! Do you mind if I talk to you…?” Brett nodded and took her over to a quiet corner; he was a little confused as to why she wanted to talk to him.
 
“So Meyrin; what did you want to talk to me about…? To be honest I'm a little surprised to see that you wanted to talk to me.” Meyrin puffed up her face and started to look a little bit annoyed. “What…! Can't I just talk to you…? You are my new friend, and all I want is to get to know you!” Brett shook his hands trying to wave down any insult that he may have implied. “No… it's not that; I just never thought… well what did you want to talk about?”
 
“Well about you; I mean did you really fought in the last war with everyone here. I mean you fought along side Athrun and the Archangel right so what was it like?” Brett chuckled a little; he paused to think about how to phrase this right. “Well back then things were different; we were caught in the middle of a two sided war and only had ourselves as allies. Despite what everyone else knew; the world came so close to ending…”
 
“But you fought with Athrun right…? I remember watching scenes of the fight in Orb; there was this one Astray that was a special color that really caught my eye… that was you wasn't it! It must have been great fighting along side Athrun!” Brett tilted his chin upwards and looked at the roof. “That was my Astray out there… but it was more nerve wracking, and in the end I still pushed my self to hard. But enough about me; what about you; I believe you came from the Minerva?”
 
“What…? A famous pilot like you wants to know about me…?” Meyrin paused waiting for Brett to answer her; Brett looked down when the pause came and nodded. “Well my big sister is on that ship along with a lot of my friends. If anything were to happen to them then, but I have been branded a traitor…”
 
Meyrin started to get tears in her eyes till Brett's voice made her stop. “It must be so hard being away from family not knowing if they are dead or what they are thinking… I'm real sorry you have to go through this. Thank fully I have never had to experience that, but then again I never had a family... Listen Meyrin I will try my best not to harm anyone aboard that ship and especially not your sister…”
 
Meyrin jumped forward and hugged him; her small voice came from between them. “Thank you so much… you really are a great person just like Cagalli told me that you were…” Meyrin then backed away and bowed showing a sign of respect. She started to leave when Brett's voice made her turn around. “Meyrin… I would love it if you and your sister were at my wedding…” Meyrin smiled and nodded, and slowly Brett turned and exited the room.
 
“Hey Brett over here…!” Brett looked to see Kira standing nearby waving him over. Brett stopped when he was next to him, and Kira started to talk to him. “You know it is hard to believe that you are actually alive right now. When you were shot down… well it was a hard thing to accept… Cagalli is going to be so glad to see you.” Brett laughed at the thought of Cagalli; “maybe… but more likely she is going to kill me.”
 
A brief pause broke the conversation till Brett figured something to say. “Thanks Kira for being my best man…I do not have anyone else I would want to fill that role.” Kira then laughed at what Brett said; “well thanks for honoring me with being your best man. It means a lot to be able to help you with this…” Brett paused briefly before responding; “she really needs this for something happy in her life. I want all of you there, but Kira I have to tell you something.”
 
Brett's tone changed so fast that it startled Kira, and Kira could only question what was wrong. “Kira I'm not a natural… I'm basically a very advanced clone. I'm not even human…” Kira could not even begin to believe what his friend had just told him; “what are you talking about…? You are human; did you lose part of your memory when you almost died… because you look human to me.”
 
“It's not that simple Kira; I may look human but I'm not… to be honest with you… I should not even exist. I passed it off at first, but the fact that everyone is accepting me makes me feel like a fraud…” Brett was interrupted by Kira's hand hitting his shoulder; “that's enough Brett… even if for some reason you were just a clone; you are still you. You are not some fraud; you have been accepted because you are a good person… I doubt it would really matter to anyone. It does not matter to me…”
 
“Thanks Kira; I have not told anyone about this yet, but someday they will find out. That is why I was so smart and skilled; so I guess I cannot say I'm a natural or a coordinator… it's hard for me to say what I really am…” Kira was getting increasingly worried about Brett's mood; which earlier was a very happy one. “Listen Brett you should not focus on this… what ever you really are it does not matter to anyone here… and especially not Asagi…”

”I know she does not care, but it still makes it feel weird… all of you are suppose to exist, but the only thing that should not is me… I'm just not sure right now.” Brett turned to walk away but Kira stopped him; “if you were not suppose to be here then you would not be here. Besides this means that you being here probably saved Asagi from death, and that is an excellent reason to exist…”
 
“Thank you Kira; I really appreciate you being my friend and supporting me through this. It is hard to believe things are the way they are, but for what is worth… I'm glad I had the chance to meet all of you… If you could escape this world and go to one where you did not have to worry about all this war… would you?” Kira looked at him for a moment wondering what the true meaning behind that comment was.
 
“Brett…” Kira asked waiting for an explanation when Brett finally snapped out of his daze. “Sorry Kira; just wondering what you would pick if you had the choice. I'm not saying I would leave this world in the state it is right now… but… would you if the war was over? Would you go to a place where no one would know who Lacus is so you could have peace?”
 
“Maybe if that's what Lacus wanted… but I do not know if she would…” Brett looked at Kira and smiled; “I know it would be hard to leave all this behind, but if you guys chose to… I can arrange something.” Kira had only a slight idea of what Brett was talking about, but the gesture was nice, and Kira nodded in agreement. “Well you probably want to go find Asagi; so I will leave you to find her… and Brett it is good to see you again so don't get killed again.”
 
Brett laughed, and Kira left back into the eatery for his own purposes. Asagi stood in the middle of the hall starring at Brett, and she could only speak a single word; “Brett…!” Brett turned to see Asagi so near him, and then she jumped into Brett's body. Brett caught her , and was wondering how much she heard. “Asagi…. I'm sorry I did not tell you… did you hear everything?”
 
“I did… I'm sorry for ease dropping, but I want you to know it does not matter to me if you are human or not. You still are the best thing in my life!” Brett's heart skipped a beat from that sentence and his eyes shot open. “I love you, and it does not matter to me… even if you weren't so suppose to exist that does not matter either. I would not be alive without you; I love you so much!” Brett hugged Asagi and whispered into her ear; “thank you Asagi… that means more from you then anyone else…”
 
Suddenly Asagi pulled him down the hall back to her room; her heart was racing and she wanted Brett to know how much she loved him. Asagi pulled Brett into her room; her hand moved back till it hit the lock, and the two were finally alone together. Asagi walked over to Brett who was smiling at her. Asagi was quick to move her hand along her suit till she found the zipper.
 
The wait was killing Asagi, and she was not going to wait any longer; she ran forward into Brett's arms and started madly kissing him on the lips. To her surprise Brett was kissing her back with equal excitement, and slowly he started to move away from her lips and he would land a small kiss on her neck before returning to her lips. Asagi's hand started to quickly and clumsily undo her pilot suit.
 
“God Brett…I have missed your touch so much…” Asagi said and it was obvious; her entire body was starting to quiver more and more with each passionate kiss. Her voice went from quick to slow, and Brett knew she was turned on. Asagi continued to struggle to get out of her pilot suit; her arms slipped out, and she was in her green tank top. Her body was shaking uncontrollably and Brett knew why, but if it eased her mind then Brett would do what he could.
 
Suddenly Brett moved from her lips to her neck; immediately a response came from Asagi. Uncontrollable moaning started to come from Asagi; her mind was so entranced by him, and she was so dedicated to Brett now that he could have done anything. She however trusted him, and no words could explain her devotion, but Asagi was lost in his pleasuring of her by her soon to be husband.
 
Shakily Asagi put her now bare hand to Brett's face; in effect making him slow down and stop to look at her quivering face. A gentle laugh came from her, and her unsteady voice gently spoke to him. “I just cannot live without you, but I guess I have been addicted to your touch since our first time…” Brett suddenly forgot about making her feel good and had to speak up; “please don't think about that Asagi… I'm just glad you love me and that you are alive.”
 
“Brett… That is so sweet…” Brett smiled at her; “I'm glad you think so… When I think about what those bastards did to you… They were so horrible for how they abused you sexually; just so that I would build there weapons and I promise that I will help you get over it so you can be your real self again.” Asagi paused momentarily before she spoke up; “Brett all of the board were found dead, and the space station vanished with the weapon. When it was revealed; there was simply no one who was left to punish.”
 
Dead silence filled the room; Brett had no idea this had happened, and while he felt relieved about the people who abused Asagi had been punished; he still felt strangely about it. “Brett I do not want you thinking that it was your fault; because it was not. You cared about me and saved my life in space… then when they drugged me to make me a slave; you did what ever it took to be save me. They never were my first; you were my first and that makes me so happy that you were.”
 
“After they filled me with that aphrodisiac; you were the one who tried his hardest to fix my broken soul… You helped me recover and you did what ever it took; that is why you are perfect to me. I always loved you, but that time you showed me that you not only really loved and cared about me, but that I wanted to give myself all to you. What I want to say is… thank you for being my first and saving me from that fate! You are the only person I trust with my body!”
 
Brett was starting to cry from Asagi's words, and so was she. “You saved me from that sexual abyss… I was so close to being a sex slave for them and then you saved me; I almost forgot about you. But I…” A large tear started to rolled down her face, but suddenly Brett's gloved hand brushed it away and dried her face.
 
Uncontrollably Asagi jolted forward and kissed Brett on the lips; she was never going to let him leave her. If he left her now; she would be broken and distraught; Asagi backed away after seconds and gave a brief pause. “Brett… please make love to me…” Brett smiled and lifted her up and brought her to the bead; he lay her down and his hand touched her bare stomach. “I will do anything you want… I promise to be yours, and only yours Asagi… forever…”
 
After; Asagi and Brett lay underneath the covers together in an after warm glow. Asagi was pressed up against her body; she could not believe how just how in love with him she was. Brett had a fairly athletic physique, and she loved that as well. She wanted to be the mother and have Brett's children, and every time they did this it had felt so wonderful. Asagi was cherishing every moment; these moments were why she was still alive.
 
“Asagi… I'm sorry I did not tell you about what I am sooner, but I'm so happy you have accepted me…” Asagi just smiled, and then a glimpse of her old self shown through to Brett. “Of course I would accept you…! I only loved you since me met, and I will love you no matter what you were… I cannot wait for us to go home; I just want you to come with me to a dancing club, and there is so much more we can do.”
 
That was the first bit of Asagi's old self Brett had seen before they were shot down. “Asagi…” She looked into his eyes with a curious look; “what is it Brett? You look like I have been gone for a while… say something and stop looking at me like I'm crazy!” he stayed quite for another moment before his lips began to move. “Asagi… you are starting to sound like your old self; that makes me so happy that you are remembering who you are; that you can start being normal. It means when we are done; that we can do normal things, and that you are okay.”
 
“Brett… it is only because you helped me remember who I was. You were the one who saved me Brett, and I will always support you no matter what…” Brett wrapped his arms around her and squeezed her with just enough force for her to know how much he cared. “Asagi… you will never have to experience that again, and when we get home… I will give you the life you disserve, and we will do what ever you want!”
 
Soon Asagi and Brett got dressed into Orb uniforms similar to Miriallia' and Kira's. The news soon came of the attack on the plants, and the world was once more shaken to the core. No one knew how exactly these events would shape the world, but the fear of another attack on Orb was ever present. It was now so clear where their path was headed, and soon they would be leaving for space; to end this battle.
 
Everyone was assembled together waiting for Cagalli to come make a speech before they left for space. Athrun, Kira, Brett, and Asagi all stood together waiting for her to arrive, but Athrun could not help but inquire about how Brett was. “So Brett, are you nervous about seeing Cagalli again… you know how she can be when she gets worked up. I doubt she will ever let you forget this one.”
 
Thoughts of how Cagalli would react when she saw he was alive had crossed the Brett's mind, but he could only just imagine. “She will probably let me have it for what I did… I might not be ok when she gets through with me… right Asagi?” Asagi elbowed Brett in his side; “Brett… I forgave you already because you are my fiancée and I love you. Cagalli however will not let you get away so easily with what you did…”
 
A long sigh emanated from Brett; Asagi had playful smile across her face when she watched Brett sigh. Kira watched and laughed at his friend; “come on Brett… Cagalli is not that scary. You two have been friends for a long time, and I'm sure she will be glad to see you…” Then a familiar voice came from the entrance to the hanger; “you bastard!”
 
Cagalli came running up to Brett and laid the palm of her hand across his face; the hanger echoed with noise of the slap. “You… You; you are an idiot…! did you ever even think of what you were doing out there.” Brett opened his mouth to speak, but Cagalli's fist hit Brett's shoulder; “you're lucky I'm being so nice! After what you did to all of us… you always have to be the hero don't you!”
 
“I'm sorry Cagalli for what I did, but…” Cagalli's hand hit his face again, and everyone shuttered from the beating Brett was receiving. “How could you do that to me your friend… or Asagi for that matter? You know that she loves you and…” Cagalli was at a loss for words, but Kira felt that Brett had enough punishment. “Cagalli I think he gets the idea; you need to settle down. He knows, and he is never going to do it again…”
 
“Kira… stop talking his side... he keeps doing stuff like this and he will end up dying fro real!” Kira smiled at Cagalli; “Cagalli just settle down… Brett had a hard time, and he has made it up to Asagi…” Cagalli starred right into Brett's eyes with distrust and anger at him. “Asagi… how could he have possibly made up to you for almost losing his life out there?”
 
“Well if you must know… he proposed to me, and we are getting married!” Asagi was bouncing up and down and latched onto Brett's arm before she started rubbing her head into his shoulder. All Brett could do was smile and shrug, but then Asagi broke free of Brett and grabbed Cagalli's hand. “I know it is sudden but me and Brett want you to be at our wedding as my main bridesmaid.”
 
Suddenly Cagalli was so happy, but she still shot another deadly stare at Brett. “You are lucky that I'm just glad your alive and that we are good friends… but never put any of us through that again, or I swear I will kill you!” Brett finally breathed a sigh of relief; he had escaped, but his face was still red and ripe with pain. “I'm really sorry Cagalli, but I'm not going to leave Asagi alone again, and dying is not on the top of my list.”
 
From behind Cagalli approached two more familiar faces; Erica Simmons and Ledonir Kisaka. Both greeted Brett and Cagalli, but a hug was far from enough for Erica. “You have no idea how happy I was to hear you both were alive. It is wonderful to see you both again…” Asagi and Brett were so happy to see her as well, and Ledonir was glad to see them. “The fact that you both survived is a great joy to all Orb. Your union together will be a great joy as well; to think you are both alive after all that has happened…”
 
The comment caused both of the couple to blush; Erica was still hesitant about letting them go back into the battle. “I appreciate that you are all going back to space to fight for everyone here in Orb, but… you do not have to. We all have heard what you have been through, and to lose you now would be horrible. I'm just saying that you both do not have to go if you chose not to…”
 
It was obvious that Erica was worried about their safety, but Asagi was going to follow Brett, and she knew he had made up his mind. “I know… I'm sure Orb will welcome us all back with open arms. But I cannot stand by and wait for this war to end; Orb is not safe yet, and I want this war to be over so I can live in peace with Asagi. I think it is time I actually acted like the pilot I claimed; I will be ok, and so will Asagi.”
 
Ledonir whispered into Cagalli's ear; she nodded and walked over in front of the group. Brett and Asagi stood in the group at attention. Cagalli delivered her speech while everyone listened intently. The task that lay before them was a huge undertaking, but somehow to Brett it paled in comparison to the last war. The speech finished with everyone throwing their support in a final attempt to end this conflict.
 
After the group relaxed; Erica approached Brett and Asagi and told them to come with her. Athrun watched Cagalli leave with Erica, Brett, Asagi, and Ledonir, but Kira was a little concerned for his friend's relationship. “Athrun… aren't you going to go talk to her?” Athrun stood there watching her leave, but he made no attempt to stop her; “no… there will be plenty of time after all of this is over…”
 
Brett and Asagi stood in the hallway of the Archangel with Cagalli, and Erica was itching to tell them the news. “Listen you two; please be safe and come back alive… when you do we will be having a special ceremony in your honor. You both are going to be honored as war heroes, and Cagalli has something else for the both of you…”
 
Ledonir grabbed two boxes and Cagalli took them and gave one to Asagi, and one to Brett. Cagalli's face was bright red and she was embarrassed to admit this; “when I saw you both get shot down; I could not bare to get rid of these…” Brett and Asagi opened the boxes to see a few of their old personal belongings, and Asagi could not believe some of her old clothes were still there along with a photo of her parents. “Thank you Cagalli…”
 
Cagalli hugged Asagi and then hugged Brett right after; Erica followed by hugging both of them, and Ledonir saluted both for their bravery. Cagalli was happy to see them both, but sad to hear they were still going to leave. “You both be careful, and I promise we will all spend time together later. Asagi… take good care of him, and I will see you all when you get back.”
 
Soon the Archangel was on its way to the Copernicus, and the future of the entire world was now firmly in control of Zaft and the Chairman.