Gundam SEED Fan Fiction ❯ Chaotic Outbreak Infinite Energy ❯ Lightning Chapter 9 Last Reprieve ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 9 Last Reprieve
 
The Destiny plan had was now fully revealed, and the plan had caused much confusion amongst the whole world. Orb had already openly rejected the plan, and the Archangel had been fired on by Zaft using the newly acquired Requiem cannon. Everyone knew this was now an extermination of any one who opposed Durandal. It was obvious that Orb would meet the same fate; unless something would be done.
 
Brett and Asagi had had plenty of time to rest and now both were up and about. Asagi was in one of her new green tank tops with jeans and her jacket. Brett had made her promise that she would not exit in the next battle, and Asagi was going to keep that promise no matter how hard she wanted to disobey it. Brett was partly in his Orb outfit, but only had a jacket since it was to painful to wear anything.
 
Both Brett and Asagi stood on the bridge of the Archangel; the order to move out had been given. They had to move and stop this threat against the whole world, and Brett was going out to protect the Archangel no matter what. Asagi was worried regardless, but the promise from Mu and the Murasame team to keep Brett safe eased some of the uneasy feelings. She still did not want him to go, and thought it would be better if he stayed.
 
Things were moving very fast, and it was only coming faster and faster. It was not long before they would be at their targets in only a short time, and Asagi looked at Brett who was standing tall beside her. He had regained so much strength in such a short time, but she knew how much he was in pain. Brett did not want to show any pain, but he still was having trouble not showing it. Murrue had picked up on this, and felt the urge to talk to him right away; “Brett you do not have to go out if you are not feeling up to it. None of you want you to strain yourself any further then you already are…”
 
“I'm Fine Mrs. Murrue… I can do this, and I promise this ship will not get a single scratch!” Mu was still on the bridge, and he knew for some reason that Brett was going out no matter what, but he was more concerned about Asagi. “Don't worry little lady; everyone here will take good care of your future husband... you just wait here and we will bring him back without a scratch.”
 
“Thank you Mr. Laflaga… I trust you to take care of him; he is that important to me! He can do some stupid things…! But I know he always has the best intentions…” Mu felt a little responsibility towards Brett, but he felt he could handle it. He listened to the two make promises that they would stay safe, and everyone knew how important they were to each other, and Mu realized how close it was getting to launch. “Come on Brett… go get ready; I'm sure Asagi will help you out.”
 
They traveled together; just Brett and Asagi down to the lockers. No one else was there; Asagi was happy it was just the two of them. Slowly she removed all his clothes trying not to hurt him, but the large bandages caused her to stop. Asagi's eyes were already watering, and she reached up and touched the bandages so gently. Brett still twitched from the pain, and Asagi could not stay silent; “Brett thank you so much for protecting me… you have always looked out for me, and I cannot imagine life without you.”
 
Brett turned and grabbed her hand and held it tightly; she hugged him with all the force she could muster. Brett just laughed, and Asagi wondered why he was laughing. “I'm still saving you, and I love being your hero Asagi. But you smell so good; I always loved your golden blond hair and your baby blue eyes. Here you are with me; we are getting married, and I'm so happy to have you…”
 
“You could have had me from the moment we first met… You were the reason I joined the Army despite what my father said… I'm so glad I did; because I have you now… everything we have been through was worth it for you, but I wish we could go back… and relive the old days; I wish we were not shot down; then we could have gone home!”
 
Brett started drying the few tears Asagi had; he knew there was no way to change their past, but Brett would for her. “Asagi… what happened; happened for a reason, and we are both here alive and so happy to have each other that is all that matters. Besides you still look like you are the same, and have not changed. Your hair, your clothes, you even bought the same shampoo. You are exactly the same girl I fell in love with; you smell so beautiful, and I never want you to change; who knows where our future leads but I'm glad we have each other.”
 
“You always knew just what to say…! I'm glad you like my look; because I will never change for you. You haven't changed either, and I love that about you… there is so much we now get to experience, but you just have to come back safe. Do you remember the time before the last battle in the last war? Could you tell me about it…?”
 
Brett smiled and nodded; he kissed Asagi; he would come back no matter what. Asagi was always his reason for survival, but there would be no way he would get shot down this time. Brett started to tell Asagi their tale; and Asagi was listening intently. She was so entranced by Brett's voice in her ear, and together they drifted back.
 
Together the Astray team floated down the halls of the Kusanagi; they passed a window to see a large pink ship flying by, and Brett was ecstatic. “I cannot believe that Lacus Clyne is with us…! This is SO AWESOME…!” Mayura floated by completely beside herself when she heard Brett. “Excuse me but your girl friend is right here you idiot…! I cannot believe that `You' are a Lacus fan boy.”
 
While the group continued floating onwards; they looked back to see Asagi had stopped. “Actually I'm a huge fan too… Brett even took me once to the plants to see her on our vacation time…” Mayura was suddenly very skeptical of Brett; “wait a sec… you mean that you technically took Asagi on a vacation? Why the hell didn't you two hook up during that; I mean come on!”
 
No answer was given from either Brett or Asagi for a short while; the two had never actually considered why they did not hook up then. Brett looked up at Asagi and decided to answer for both; “it was hard enough for us to get together like this let alone back then. I guess it just never came up then, but we are together now, and I'm just happy knowing I have my dream girl now.”
 
Both Juri and Mayura thought that comment was so sweet, but Mayura hid it under her tough exterior well. The four pilots found that it was getting hard to occupy their time; the weightlessness had its own effects. Each day the pilots were forced to work out to stay in excellent shape. Asagi, Juri, and Mayura all were out of breath after their first battle, but slowly they were improving.
 
It was hard for Asagi to train at the same time as Brett; every time she saw him working out she would become lost in thoughts. He was incredibly strong despite his only slightly athletic physique. But Asagi was happy with that; she hated over developed guys, and Brett was perfect for her. Every time she started to work out; her mind would drift back to Brett, and she could literally watch him forever.
 
Erica had cut all of their training to a minimum; they all found themselves spending a lot of time together. Eventually Asagi and Brett would find themselves alone with each other, and they loved it. Erica kept a close eye on them, and was going to continue trying to give them all the time she could. Erica had popped in while they were sleeping; Brett and Asagi had taken up sleeping in the same bed, and she watched them sleep in such happy bliss.
 
Long had Erica anticipated Brett destroying his Astray, and she started building a brand new one. None of the other Astrays had any real damage; so all spare parts went to Brett's machine. She had figured Brett would go out no matter what, and with the completed Strike Rouge; she now could devote herself to Brett's new machine. Erica would keep Brett safe; just as Lord Uzumi had instructed her to.
 
The two major sides of this war had done nothing in about a week's time; Erica could only theorize what they were doing, and what was coming. She wanted to restrict Brett and the girls to not leave the ship during the next battle, but how could she. If one went out then they all would leave, and she knew Brett was going out. Something kept telling Erica to not let them leave, and all she wanted to do was send them back to Orb.
 
There they would be away from the war; Asagi was only here because of her friends and Brett, and it was wrong to ask anything of any of them. All were so young, and for them to fighting in this war made no sense. They should have been out enjoying life together; even if his war had brought Brett and Asagi together; they were both sixteen, and this battle could be the last thing they would do.
 
That thought froze Erica; she wanted all of them to just run anywhere, and just leave this war. All of them could lose their lives, and even if Brett and Asagi were in love; how could they ask them to go out. How could these young people give their lives and idea for the old; their silenced voices would never light the future again. Erica was now overwhelmed, and even swallowing was very hard.
 
Fighting back the urge was impossible at this point; Erica rushed to see Brett and Asagi and found all the Astray girls too. She asked them if they would just leave, and unsurprisingly none of them would. Erica asked how they could do this, and Brett had the only answer he could possibly have. “It's because if we do not fight for our future and do what we can; then we could lose it. I know we are young, but I will not let Asagi die or let her lose what she loves most! I won't run away and risk my home, but I will never let Asagi die!!! Ever!!!”
 
Before Brett could settle from his anger; he felt a hand begin moving up and down his upper arm. Asagi moved in and kissed him, but she was so moved that she put even more effort in. They shared a deep open mouth kiss, and became lost for seconds before Mayura cleared her throat. Asagi looked over at Erica; who was still in shock from what Brett had said. “I feel the same way Mrs. Simmons; I'm not going to let my home be destroyed, and I will never let Brett die either.”
 
Floating there in defeat; Erica still wanted them to leave, but Juri and Mayura both nodded to Erica. She had the best intentions, and only wanted to see them live; there was no reason for them to put their lives on the line, but still they would. Erica simply had to trust Brett and the girls to be safe, and then she felt another request bubbling inside of her. “Fine… just know that the only reason I did this is because I care, but I want you all to go over to the Eternal, and just spend time with Kira and the others today.”
 
It was a little weird to hear such a request, but Brett was the first to agree. Asagi naturally followed, and so did the other two girls. Any distraction would be nice to keep them from thinking about the upcoming massive battle. The battle they all knew was right around the corner. They all knew something big was about to happen, and Brett and Asagi both wanted to meet Mrs. Clyne; the girl they idolized.
 
The shuttle headed over to Eternal; carrying all the Astray girls along with Brett and Cagalli. It was a little disconcerting to be doing something like this right now, but even Mirrialia and Dearka would be joining in. The repairs on the Freedom were complete, and all the last minute things were quickly being accomplished. It was now just a wait for Zaft or the Alliance to make a move.
 
Surprisingly it did not take long for everyone to get into the idea of this event. It had been a while since anyone had just spent time like there was no war, but this was exactly what they were doing in the eating area aboard the Eternal. Being almost a normal teenager was a nice feeling, and somehow they all but away concerns of the war. This could be most last chance…
 
Brett and Asagi sat down at a table off in the corner; while Mayura and Juri were talking with others. Asagi had already planned out what she was going to do when they had finished; not surprisingly it included Brett. Now that lord Uzumi was dead; she had already planned for him to come live with her. The thought was a little frightening considering Brett knew about the man who was Asagi's father.
 
Still Brett would not ruin Asagi's plans; it was nice to be included in them, and it was nice to know he had a place in them. Asagi was sitting right beside Brett, and her had every so often played with Brett's hair or stroked his chest just gently enough to sensual. Not that Brett did not enjoy it, but he never thought this would be the right place. Asagi just loved to show affection; her strong and clever personality was very attractive to Brett. “Mind if we join you…?”
 
Both looked over to see Athrun, Kira, and Lacus all floating by the table, and Brett and Asagi were quick to invite them to sit. They sat down, and Lacus could not help but comment; “I must say that you both seem very happy together. I have been told that you were in love, but watching makes that very obvious.”
 
Quivering in excitement from finally meeting Lacus in person, and both quickly answered at the same time; “Mrs. Lacus it is such an honor; we are huge fans!” Brett and Asagi looked over at the other; embarrassed that they had not only spoke at the same time, but the exact same thing. “I see that you two are so close… that you are even talking and thinking on the same level, which is very cute indeed. You two must have been made for the other, but we are friends now so just call me Lacus.”
 
The compliment had spurred up feelings of embarrassment in both Asagi and Brett. Lacus had just complimented them, and it was encouraging to Brett; he reached up onto the grabbed Asagi's hand and gently squeezed it. Athrun had taken notice to how embarrassed the two were, and knew first hand how close they were. “Lacus… I think your embarrassing them…”
 
“There is nothing wrong Athrun with me complementing them on what they have. To see any kind of love that can flourish in such harsh conditions of war; is truly encouraging. It just means that their love is strong like both of these young individuals… which reminds me! You are the pilot of that blue machine; I believe it is an Astray.” Brett bowed his head out of respect; “yes Mrs. Lacus; I was that pilot!”
 
Lacus was amazed at how respectful this young man was to her, but she felt the need to calm him down. “Please… none of us are more important then the other here. Just call me Lacus; like I said we are friends now; so you do not have to act like I'm that much more important. It is nicer to have friends then followers… but I wanted to say that you must be an amazing pilot. Watching you; you really did amazing things considering that your machine is only an Astray.”
 
Asagi had always loved Mrs. Clyne as a role model, but she seemed to friendly with Brett. Not that Asagi would imagine Brett leaving her after all the times he had preached his devotion, but Asagi also took that as an insult to the Astray. Asagi leaned over and kissed Brett on the cheek, and gave just a slight look to Lacus. Lacus understood that she may have crossed a line, and decided to slightly back off, but Kira was still curious.
 
“So Brett… how exactly did you do all that. I mean your machine was out of power, and it looked like you were not going to be moving. I don't think anyone has figured out how it happened, but I have to say; you must have been amazing to accomplish so much.” Kira had successfully distracted even Asagi away from her feelings, but Brett had no conclusive answer. “I don't know Kira; I just heard everyone else and I could not give up… but some power; I was nearly killed and captured.”
 
Asagi cringed at the thought of losing him, and she hugged Brett with all her might. Brett however had not finished; “I would have been if not for Asagi. Her devotion is unquestionable, and so is mine to hers; I owe her a great debt.” Asagi was in awe that Brett had said that openly; Lacus loved it however, but decided to keep a short and sweet comment. “I really hope you two survive this war, and both have you have easily proved the potential of the Astray and your machines when Love is driving the both of you. Still your accomplishments have encouraged everyone!”
 
Athrun nodded in complete agreement; “to be honest I still have trouble believing what you did. With that kind of skill and strength; it will be hard to be us.” Asagi was relieved by Lacus's last wave of comments, but worried Athrun may have encouraged Brett to much. Still Asagi was still her sweet self at heart; “it is very nice to finally meet you all on a personal level, but Brett is not going to worry me like that again even if he is the best pilot ever.”
 
To Asagi it was her job to encourage and support Brett; her words should be the only ones to truly encourage her man. Brett could tell she was nervous about something; she had always been protective, but shy at the same time. Brett felt that Asagi was starting to get over protective, and not that he minded, but he figured it best to not upset anyone. “Come on guys I may be first to Asagi, but we all know Kira is the real hero here. He has the Freedom and is a better pilot then me; I'm certain there are many better pilots… but what about you and Lacus?”
 
Before anyone could respond; Asagi pulled on Brett's arm just enough for the message to be clear. She was not happy with him not seeing what she saw; Asagi now just wanted to leave with Brett. She was not keen on spending any more time with any of her new friends. Lacus giggled at the idea; “me and Kira; what ever gave you that idea?”
 
“Well Lacus… Me and Asagi saw both of you kiss before the whole Mendel colony incident.” Asagi was not interested in anything, and just was really badly wanting to leave. Juri and Mayura had not scene to much of Asagi or Brett; most of the time the two had been alone. Asagi's hand was trying to send hints, but still the conversation continued.
 
Now Kira and Lacus were blushing; a little stunned that anyone had seen them. Brett turned and whispered to Asagi that would leave soon enough. She was happy with this news, and decided to have some fun with the situation. “Yeah… we saw you both, and you both did not seem to mind it.”
 
Both Kira and Lacus were embarrassed, but they way Asagi had said it just sounded cute. Brett did not mind what Asagi had said; he too had only considered it playful, but this was enough for him. “Don't worry about it; just having a little fun with you two… It's been nice talking to all of you; I hope that after the war we can all spend time together.”
 
Everyone enjoyed the idea; it was still hard to talk about anything else other then the war. Still Kira, Lacus, and Athrun all nodded in agreement and together Brett and Asagi floated outwards into the hall. “So you were pretty anxious to get out of there. Any particular reason; because you seemed just a little upset with what Lacus said?”
 
“It's not that I don't like Lacus; she is great, but right now I only want to spend time with you. Right now that is all I want! I don't want to see you being friendly to anyone other then me… I'm sorry I'm acting so jealous, and controlling, but…” Brett grabbed Asagi's hand and held it tightly; “It's okay Asagi. I have had enough too; let's just go be alone somewhere… I love how protective you are of me…”
 
Mu's voice came from a small speaker near the door; he informed Brett it was time to head out. The reminiscence ended the moment they heard Mu's voice, and Asagi was still nervous. “Brett… I really am sorry I made that time more difficult then it should have been. I really enjoyed hanging out with them; I was just worried you liked Lacus more then me.”
 
“Yeah I knew; I'm really glad that you care about me that much…” Asagi smiled for a brief moment, but her smile soon faded; “just please come back to me this time. You have always kept your promises to me; don't start breaking them now. You know I would not mind if you did not go out; no one would care if you did not.”
 
“I know Asagi, and I know it is hard for you to watch me do this, but I nearly failed last time… this time will not be the same. I promise that I will not even get a scratch… then we can go home together.”
 
Despite how Asagi felt; she knew Brett could do it, and she helped him into his pilot suit. She was very careful to not to hurt him in any way, and Brett was smiling the whole time she helped him. They eventually made it to Brett's machine, and when Asagi helped him into his machine; she was about to leave when Brett pulled her back in. His glove wiped a tear that was still forming, and he looked at her; “Asagi… for the last two years I have had to watch you frown and be sad; never think that anything you did was a mistake… I promise I will be right back.”
 
Asagi watched the machine leave that was carrying Brett; she could only smile. Her ring gleamed in the light; it was Brett's promise, and no matter what Asagi believed in him. Asagi started off towards the bridge; not sure of how she could help. It did not matter because if she could; she would…