Gundam SEED Fan Fiction ❯ Chaotic Outbreak Infinite Energy ❯ Lightning Chapter 10 The Past That Will Not Stay Dead ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 10 The Past That Will Not Stay Dead
 
“This is Brett… in the Epyon… heading out!”
 
The Epyon was catapulted from Archangel into space; it had been a while since Brett had fought in space, but that would not discourage him. Now that the Epyon was equipped for long range; it would be much easier for him to help while not engaging directly in battle. Most were already out, but the Murasame team followed behind; a few members stayed beside Brett. They intended to keep him safe; he was considered too important to let die at this point.
 
The mobile suits were still stunned; by the voice of the real Lacus asking them to stand down, but that stunned feeling was soon lost. The Epyon stayed relatively close to Archangel; watching over it from any assault, and its guards continued to follow suit. Brett's goal was simply to protect the Archangel; he had no interest in dying, but was not going to let anything hurt the Archangel.
 
The ships were pushing through to the first relay station of the Requiem Cannon. Brett was quickly shooting anything down that came close; the capabilities of his machine more then made it fair against the overwhelming odds. Missiles and Mobile suits all met the same fate; the Epyon continued; leaving nothing for the Archangel to be worried over. It was far too easy a task; nothing could really contend with his experience even after all he had been through recently.
 
From the bridge; Murrue could see that Brett was pushing himself to make sure nothing got through. Murrue was about to speak till Asagi entered into the Bridge. She walked up to Mrs. Murrue; she already knew why there had been no explosions shaking the ship. “Please just let him continue; I know he is pushing himself, but I know he will be alright…”
 
The request was so simple, but still hard for Murrue to follow. The Epyon continued to shoot; finding little challenge, and Brett was getting tired of this. His mind wandered to the past when he still had something real to fight against. This was pointless fighting against enemies that were powerless in comparison, but still Brett continued to fight. Slowly the Archangel pushed forward, and this battle was seemingly going to end very soon.
 
Then a beam came from directly ahead; drawing the attention of everyone. Brett turned his head, and curse him self for not watching the rear of the ship. Brett quickly reevaluated his strategy; quickly changing his strategy; “Murasame pilots; when the Archangel moves to engage the Minerva; make sure you cover the rear. Please do not do anything careless… I will take that ship down today for all the trouble it caused me!”
 
The Epyon turned with Archangel, and together they supported the other. No missiles came close, and the beams of the Archangel came incredibly close to hitting the Minerva with each blast. Brett fought back the urge to go forth and destroy the Minerva; the only thing holding him back was the knowledge that Meyrin's friends were on board. Captain Gladys looked at the Epyon in disgust that it was back; this time she intended to get this pilot and the ship at the same time.
 
The front portion of Minerva opened up, and Lohengrin cannon extended out the front of the Minerva. Murrue analyzed the situation, and knew that if they moved; the Eternal would be hit. “Brett; we cannot move or the Eternal will be hit…” Murrue had no clue what to do; she knew Brett was planning to shield them no matter what. “Murrue; I understand, but I promised that I would keep this ship safe. Please believe that I can do this; because I will succeed no matter what.”
 
Previously the Epyon had failed to block the beam; Brett had long since figured out why. The beam design was poor, and Brett had sacrificed functionality for style. He could only hope this advanced version could handle this attack. Murrue was about to object, but Asagi spoke up first; “I believe in you; because you promised to come back to me…”
 
Minerva's Lohengrin charged, and Brett moved his machine into the line of fire. The cannon fired, and the massively powered beam approached without mercy. “Kid…! Get the hell out of the way!” The Epyon was pushed out of the way by the Akatsuki; Brett looked over at the machine; surprised at Mu's rash move. “You're an Idiot… I'm the one who does this kind of stuff!!!”
 
The beam impacted, and Brett floated there in denial, and when the beam ended; he was shocked. The Akatsuki had emerged completely unscathed, and the machine aimed its rifle. The instant after the Akatsuki had foiled the Minerva's; its rifle fired a single shot; destroying the Minerva's Lohengrin cannon with a single shot. “Mu… you saved me…”
 
Only a slight chuckle was heard from Mu at first, but he soon spoke up to Murrue; “I'm never going to leave you again Captain…. Let's finish this and go home… Murrue…” Murrue was beside herself at hearing that Mu was safe, and that he had remembered; Mu looked over at Brett remembering how much trouble he really was. “Kid do you ever stop and consider that you might have died! You are still as much of an idiot as ever!”
 
“An idiot you say… sounds like Brett to me…” Brett turned his attention to the other screen. “Dearka…?” Brett was surprised to see him contacting him; they had never been that close, but still Brett was glad to see him. “So Brett… you can imagine how surprised I was to hear you were still alive… but it's nice to see a friendly face. I promise we will talk later, but right now we have to break this thing up!”
 
Brett turned to watch as the Strike Freedom and the Infinite Justice equipped with their meteors destroyed relay station one. Everyone breathed a sigh of relief; the Zaft forces regrouped, but still Brett wondered if there was going to be a challenge. The Archangel and the Eternal started moving towards the Requiem cannon, and Brett was intent on finishing this.
 
“Mam… There is an extremely large object approaching from Orange one eighty six!” Brett turned his machine around upon hearing Mir to see the massive fortress approaching them. Then before Brett could register what Mir said next; a massive wave of energy swept across the moons surface. Brett watched the destruction in absolute horror; “no… It can't be; why the hell did they build another Genesis!”
 
Everyone else was surprised to see this new weapon, and priorities had changed. Kira was quick to understand that there was two threats, and understood what needed be done. “Mrs. Murrue; take Athrun to the Requiem… The Justice can tear through that shield. I will stay here with the Eternal; and together we will take this pointless weapon apart.”
 
Cannon fire came from behind the Archangel; the Minerva was firing, and gaining on the ship. Brett had had enough of the Minerva; “Archangel; I'm going to disable the Minerva… They are the ships biggest threat, and once they are out of commission; this battle will be much easier. I can do it; just like old times.” Murrue was hesitant, but knew he was right; “Fine, but if gets too dangerous please return immediately. I have no intentions of letting anyone die after all we have been through…”
 
“Alright… time to settle something I should never have let get this bad in the first place!”
 
The Epyon carried Brett towards the Minerva; it's speed allowing it to dodge, and fire with ease. The Minerva's crew was startled with this surprise, and then focused on the Epyon. Missiles traveled towards Brett, but he was hardly intimidated. Cutting his thrusters at the last second tripped the missiles up, and they all slammed together.
 
Brett backed his machine up, and traveled further away from the heavily armed ship. His rifle fired at key points; the anti beam charges blocked the shots without fail. Brett cut across his path while drawing the Epyon's blade; trying to cut through the ships weapons. The ships weapons targeted the Epyon, and readied to fire, but then a yellow beam fired from the Archangel; destroying massive cannons off the Minerva.
 
“Back the Epyon up with the Valiants as much as possible; be extremely careful not to hit him!” Brett heard this and thanked Murrue for backing him up; but this was his cue. His machine's thrusters put him into a spin; he barrel rolled under the Minerva, and readied his blade. Carefully cutting through the outer engines; the Minerva was now helpless, and Brett looked back to the ship feeling he accomplished something. “Were even; just be glad I'm not that angry anymore.”
 
The massive ship skimmed across the surface of the moon; coming to a dead stop after a short while. Brett had noticed a few weapons on the ship still intact, and the Epyon got in front of the Minerva and held his rifle up to the ship. “Crew of the Minerva; you may have tried to kill me, but I will not do the same. Please abandon your ship and go home…If anyone makes a foolish move at this point; I will be forced to fire, and I do not want to upset Meyrin since I made a promise to not hurt any of you.”
 
Gladys was having a hard time accepting defeat, but she gave the order to abandon ship. Her battle hear was over; Brett could just barely make out what she had ordered, but breathed a sigh of relief. Shutting his eyes for a brief moment and letting down his guard; when a green laser pierced the Epyon's left arm. The left arm was severed and exploded; leaving Brett to cry out in alarm.
 
Everyone listening wondered if he was okay, but the signal had not yet been lost to the Archangel. Asagi asked Brett was ok; she could hear him breathing heavily, but she was just glad he was ok. Murrue asked where the shot had come from, and everyone's attention was suddenly drawn when an old voice came over the air waves that still haunted many. “So boy… you still exist after all… I was lucky enough to be given a second chance, and you will be eliminated!”
 
Many people could recognize that voice still from the previous war; it was the same person who still haunted Brett and Kira; the one person who turned their dreams into nightmares. The Epyon moved in time to avoid lasers that swarmed from every side. He looked over to see an impossible sight; the Providence just floated there looking exactly like it had two years ago. Brett was beyond distressed, and so too was Asagi; “Rau? No it can't be… it, it just cannot be true.”
 
This conversation was drawing everyone's attention; they all remembered Rau for their own reasons. Asagi started wishing for Brett to run away, but she knew that escape from this enemy would be hard, and then that terrible voice returned. “A little emotional are we…? True I perished back then, but I was brought back by a friend of yours… one who who's electric personality, and all I have to do to get my revenge is make sure you die first. Not a hard thing since I cannot wait to erase you from existence!”
 
“That woman; she has brought you back!” Another wave of lasers from the Providence's dragoons fired at the Epyon. Brett was having trouble dealing with damage on a mental front while he was attacked. Rau still haunted his dreams; the terror was still far too real for Brett, Asagi watched; she could only imagine how hard it was for him to deal with this.
 
“Are you still mad at me for trying to end your life the last time, or maybe for trying to kill your girlfriend… well I think you should be more concerned about right now. I was promised to be given my life back, and all the power I need to end this world of insatiable desires; providing that I kill you. Isn't that wonderful…?”
 
The Providence had Brett locked in its sights; all Rau had to do was pull the trigger. The beam shot out from the barrel towards Brett, and then the Epyon took off towards the Providence. Rau launched his dragoons; which swarmed Brett from all sides, and his machine barely dodged each laser. Both the Epyon and the Providence drew their swords, but met only with a passing slash., but it was different; this providence was so much stronger then the precious one.
 
Instantly Brett was ready for another pass with his machine, but then his Murasame guards swooped in; trying to protect Brett by using their machines as a distraction. The Providence aimed at the first Murasame, and took aim; Brett shouted Rau's name; trying to stop him from obtaining a kill. Brett was not going to relive his failure against this machine, and he started boosting his machine to its maximum.
 
Rau had already heard Brett's desperate cry, and he was ready to spring his trap. All the Providences Dragoons launched; the first wave of beams prevented Brett from moving his machine in any direction. The Epyon was at a dead halt; just barely evading all the beams; Brett was sweating from the intensity from the near death experiences, but no one could help him at this point.
 
Then the Providence slammed into Brett's Epyon; as soon as the beams faded from all around Brett's machine. The force of the hit more then shook Brett to his core; the violent force of the impact was hard on Brett and his wounds. With no time to recover; a second wave of beams cut through external and extra pieces of the Epyon; leaving the core barely intact with a single right arm barely able to move.
 
Lying there; Brett had already given up on surviving this encounter and new he was defeated. His machine only had one arm; all of his screens were cracked, and the pain he felt was to intense. Brett could only see through his remaining camera; that Rau now had the Providence's rifle, then came the laughter that still haunted Brett. “So this is how it finally ends for you… I suppose you are still desperately clinging to life in there aren't you. You always were like that; I guess that is what makes this such a pleasure, so goodbye.”
 
“Le Cruset!!!” A beam cut through the back of the Providence; badly damaging the machine. Rau turned his machine to gaze upon Akatsuki coming towards him at a ferocious speed. Rau started to laugh in an insane fashion, and looked at his opponent; “so Mu… let us now find out who is the better replica of you father… Because I doubt you shall be the one to finish me!!!” Then a small bump was heard on Rau's machine; Brett had summoned the strength to move his machines arm with it's beam saber in its grasp; “no Rau… I'm the one to finish you; this is for me and Asagi… and all the hell you caused me.”
 
A large pink beam extended from the saber, and traversed through the Providence's core. The machine then exploded with enormous force; sending the Epyon hurdling away from the scene of the explosion. Brett closed his eyes just when the machine lost its remaining power. Lying in his machine in the dead of space he rested silently; to injured and tired to move an inch.
 
Nearly a minute later; Brett's cockpit door opened, and Brett could hear Mu's voice. “I found him… tell his girl that she has not lost him yet. You are still alive in here right kid…?” With no energy to respond; Brett could barely open his eyes. “Guess you must be pretty worn out; don't worry I will get you back in one peace, but just so you know… you did a hell of a job out here today; I'm proud of you. The Archangel is in perfect shape thanks to both of us; Orb is safe; your girl is safe, and so is everyone else.”
 
Mu left the Epyon with Brett; Mu had already decided to leave the broken Epyon behind. Now there was no need for it; now the war was over and done. Brett was half awake and half asleep; Mu chose to move at a slower pace; so as not to cause any more injuries. On onboard the Archangel; Mir, Asagi, Murrue, Kira, Lacus, Athrun, and most of the Murasame pilots had all gathered to see Brett. Mu exited his cockpit with Brett resting in his arms.
 
Everyone rushed up to see Brett; his expression was nothing, and he gauged little reaction from anyone. They all knew he had been through a lot, but Asagi was glad he had kept his promise. She removed his helmet, and Brett opened his eyes wide to the sight of her smiling face. Brett grabbed onto her mid section and pulled him self in, and he started to cry like she had never heard him do before. “It's okay Brett; it's finally over…”