Gundam SEED Fan Fiction ❯ Chaotic Outbreak Infinite Energy ❯ Lightning Chapter 11 The Dead ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 11 The Dead
 
The war was over; the two conflicting sides had signaled the end of the fighting, and now everyone breathed easy. Despite how fiercely the fighting had gone; no one from the three ship alliance was dead. It was great to see everyone had survived, and now it was a feeling of relaxation, but not for everyone on board the Archangel.
 
Aboard the Archangel, and Lacus, Kira, and Athrun met with Mu and Murrue who were waiting for them before they went in. After what Kira had heard he was more then worried, but he had not heard the end results of what psychological had been done. “So how is Brett doing…? I heard what happened; that must have been tough for him to deal with in the middle of a battle. Mu; you were there… was it really him?”
 
“Yeah… it definitely was Rau; no one else could sound that maniacal. To think that the kid was almost killed by him again; my question is how Rau even came back…” The group continued to float towards their destination, and Murrue nodded before opening her mouth. “That is a question that I think only Brett will be able to answer, but… well you see he is locked in his room with Asagi. The battle with Rau hurt him more then physically; mentally I think he is even worse off then ever before. It was something he should not have had to face but did and was able to over come it, and yet to overcome this will be much harder…”
 
Kira was still very concerned about this; “yeah, but that was impossible. There is no way Rau could have survived after how he was destroyed, but that was the Providence.” Athrun looked at Kira and saw this was bugging him to; “maybe it was just a recording of his voice. Like Kira said, I doubt Rau survived that, and they could have rebuilt his mobile suit to mess with Brett. It was a smart plan, but I think it would be best if we decided that was not Rau in that machine.”
 
“Yeah that might be best…” Said Mu floating down the halls with a concerned look, but he knew the truth. “It would be best for the kid and the rest of us if we ignored this, but just between all of us… That was definitely Rau; his presence is still unmistakable to me. Also no one else could use the Dragoon units that well, and if Brett had not stepped in… I would have had a serious battle with him; there is no doubt in my mind that it was Rau.”
 
Murrue looked straight ahead; they were almost at Brett's room, and Murrue had decided how to handle this. “For now it would be for the best if we just told Brett a lie; even if he does not believe it. Still it would be a load off his mind, and he and Asagi have not left their room since Brett was brought back. I think he needs some good news more then the truth, and the archangel is heading back to Orb. Brett's injuries are not serious, but I believe Cagalli wants him to get the attention he deserves now.”
 
They arrived at the door, but it was locked tight; Murrue pressed the intercom button; hopping to get any answer. “Brett… Asagi… is it all right if we come in?” No answer came at first, and everyone could only wonder what state they were in. Then the door was unlocked, and everyone entered the fair sized room. Asagi turned her head just slightly to look at the group, and then turned back to Brett; “he was so brave, but no matter what I say… he won't stop shaking…”
 
“Mrs. Asagi… Please do not worry; I'm sure that Brett will be just fine; he is a very strong individual. We should probably just let him rest for now… I'm sure Mrs. Asagi will be able to help him through this. We will make sure he gets to Orb soon; so he can get ready for the ceremony…”
 
It took a while for the ship to return to Orb, but eventually they made it. Asagi stayed beside Brett; who recovered mentally more and more each day. Still he wondered how things could have gone so wrong; it had all started at the end of the last war, and now Brett wanted a second chance. There was no reason for them to have been through this, and Brett realized that he had changed so much.
 
Still Asagi stayed at his side, but he had never been the same. He was forced to mature with situations that no one should have had to have done that, and yet he still acted immature because he never did grow up properly. He was never as happy as he was before; all of his bright spirit had been robbed. Thinking back on the last war; he missed that happy spirit, and he constantly wanted to go back, and just have that second chance.
 
“Hey Brett…” the mention of his name made him look up to see Asagi smiling at him; he always admired how she had kept those happy bright eyes of hers. She was dressed in her Orb uniform, and she had made him get dressed to, and she pulled him up off the bed. “Come on; we just landed, but I want to go some places before the ceremony alright…”
 
Brett nodded, and went with Asagi to finally leave the ship. On the way out they were met by so many different people; all wishing them the best of luck. Each person they met was promised that they would meet again. Either at the ceremony, or just meeting for a brief visit; Brett was not going to let anyone of these relationships die.
 
The last person to meet Brett was Mir, and she hugged Brett with all her strength. Brett was happy for the hug, but Mir was not going to part so soon. She turned and bowed to everyone of the Archangel crew; she was going with Brett. She felt that it was truly the right thing, and was set on it. Brett and Asagi were glad to have the company; considering where they were about to travel to.
 
Kira approached Brett one last time; with Lacus close at his side. “Best of luck Brett; we will see you at the ceremony; till then just try and take it easy alright?” Brett smiled and shook his head just a little; “Thanks Kira; I will try my best to, and listen… Don't hide yourself away; Asagi and I would still like to see you after all this.”
 
The two exchanged their last goodbyes, and Brett, Asagi, and Mir all left in a limo with Cagalli. “So Asagi… you sure you want to go there?” Brett asked, and Asagi nodded her head; “yeah; I think I have to do this… Just because…”
 
Nearly an hour later, and the limo finally stopped deep within a cemetery. The sky was mostly cloudy and it was even sprinkling a little. The air was just cold enough to make a jacket necessary, but looking at the rows of gravestones was very unnerving. The grim scenery was very creepy and setting both Brett and Asagi off balance as they looked for their grave stone.
 
Cagalli led the group through the rows of gravestones; the whole time Asagi stayed right beside Brett. She was finding courage with Brett's arm over her shoulder, and she was shivering ever so slightly. Both of them found this just weird to visit their own graves, but they had to so they could move on. It was just something they both had to see and get rid of, and then their souls would move on, but they also had two others to visit.
 
When Cagalli suddenly stopped; she looked over to see three people standing by Brett and Asagi's graves. Many soldiers never got graves; so who ever this obviously knew them well. They were laying a bouquet of roses on each grave; Asagi could not even imagine who was doing something like this, the strangers all had rain coats covering their bodies making it impossible to identify. Brett watched; amazed that people still remembered him, and he could not tell who it was from the black hoods they had on from their coats.
 
A single glance to Cagalli was all Brett could do, but she shook her head. This was uncomfortable, but Brett started walking forwards towards the people that were showing there respects. They still were not declared alive; so this was not surprising, and Asagi had decided to stay silent. Brett approached the graves, and stopped a few feet back; already knowing what to say. “So… you knew these people?”
 
The three did not turn around; just nodded while starring at the graves. At first there was no response, but then a female voice spoke up wanting to answer. “Yeah I knew these two; they fought with me in the last war, and we have been laying flowers here for a long time… Lady Cagalli actually gave them a grave, but they disserved a memorial!”
 
The statement nearly forced Cagalli to respond, but Brett lifted his arm to not. He left Asagi's side and approached the grave further; Asagi stayed behind; not wanting to tread on her own grave. Brett approached them and stepped on the grave; initiating a response from the same girl who spoke before. “Hey get off there!!! Those two were some of my best friends, and you better not step on their graves.”
 
The woman swiped at Brett, but he just grabbed her hand and held her. Then he could see under her hood; she was not looking at him, but had a reddish hair color. Brett started to shake and backed away slowly; he could not believe who it was. “So those two were good friends; I'm sorry I meant no disrespect… I don't even know how to say this; I thought you died, but it can't be you…”
 
Everyone was shocked, and looked at Brett; including the red haired girl. She looked at him a single time, but Brett's face still had some bandages on it. She could not tell who it was, and neither could the other two, but she felt complied to ask. “What; I don't know you so get away from me, and how did you know him?”
 
Asagi was more then intrigued, and Brett leaped forward and hugged her. “Mayura; can't you tell who I am… I'm that same stupid guy who took to many risks back then, and… I just cannot believe you are still alive!”
 
This girl was beside herself now; she escaped the hug, and backed up taking a better look at this man. The other two looked better at the face too, and then Mayura's voice was even recognizable now to Asagi. “Commander…”
 
Mayura bolted forward; leaping onto Brett; this time more then wanting to be in the hug. Her hood fell off, and revealed that she looked almost exactly the same. The other two removed their hoods, and Asagi nearly fainted at the sight. There was Lowe and Juri; Juri was all too happy to see Brett and ran forward and hugged him as well. They all looked more mature, but they were undoubtedly there friends.
 
Lowe watched the reunion; not able to believe that this guy was alive; he knew most of the story, but not any of this. Then the two girls backed away; so curious to the story behind everything. Still they were lost in the moment, and just seeing him alive was enough for them. The girls finally stepped back; taking in Brett's damaged visage, but then something occurred to both of them.
 
If Brett had survived; it was more then possible that Asagi did. They looked to there left, and there she was; she was in an Orb uniform, and more mature but it was Asagi without a doubt. There was no pause between recognizing her, and rushing in to hug her. The girls were so happy, but crying at the same time to be finally reunited; Brett still could not believe this, but there they were alive.
 
When they finally stopped; their faces were all red from all the crying. It was too hard for them all too just accept they were all alive. Lowe remembered both of them; he always remembered Brett as being a bit of a rival, but he walked over and shook Brett's hand. Brett was amazed Lowe was hear, and a thousand questions were all boiling in each of there minds.
 
Before Asagi could even begin to answer her queries; Brett spoke up trying to change the place. This was not the place for this, and Asagi knew he was right. They all left the grave sight, and all went in the limo; with there next destination still far away; there would be plenty of time to talk.
 
It took Brett and Asagi taking turns of telling the stories of what had happened to them. The assignation, barely surviving the first war, and everything in between those events to this point in time. Brett was only vague when it came time to tell about his near death experience; he manipulated the story; not wanting to let slip more then was necessary. There was no point telling them that he was not human yet.
 
Mayura had squeezed in beside Brett and Cagalli; when she had heard the story of the last battle, and she could not believe him. She was smiling at how Brett was sill the same even if more mature now, and how he was still saving Asagi. “So all that happened to you two; that is incredible… you neither of us could have survived the last war without you Brett…”
 
His ears perked up to this news, and looked to Juri for confirmation while Mayura spoke. “You remember that we were shot down, but we survived inside. If you rescuing Asagi had not distracted us… the shots might have been fatal. Are mobile suits were dead, and we got injured, but nothing was permanent… you… you saved our lives. We were rescued after, but when you did not come back; we thought you two died in a genesis blast, and we should have just kept looking for you!”
 
Mayura nearly jumped into Brett out of her seat, and she was squeezing Brett's neck with her arms. Juri watched and smiled from right beside Lowe, and he had a few things to say to this situation. “Well Brett… I cannot believe you are still alive, and it looks like you still got these girls loving every second with you! Still it's good to see you alive; so I guess you have heard that you guys do not really have anywhere to go though…”
 
A sharp pain was felt when Juri elbowed Lowe with no regard for is health. Mayura had heard everything, and she had visited Asagi's parents who were devastated at losing there only daughter. “Listen you both are going to come live with me after everything; it's the least I can do for my friends!”
 
Both Asagi and Brett looked to Mayura; who still had her head over Brett's shoulder with to many emotions to allow her to show her face. “I want you both to live with me; I… just please take my offer.”
 
Both did; this was more then a generous offer, and they both were only to happy to move in with Mayura. The car was slowing down out side a beautiful residential house; it was a moderate sized house, and this was the really hard thing for Asagi to do. Getting out of the car to see her family's house, and if not for Brett she could just not do this.
 
Cagalli took the lead, and everyone else was not far behind; Mayura remembered visiting here once. It had been only to break the news to her family; both of Asagi's parents were devastated. They were never thrilled to have there daughter in the war, and when she was pronounced dead; they never could find themselves happy again. Even if their daughter had saved many lives from the weapon of mass destruction known as Genesis; Asagi's parents never forgave the Orb Government.
 
Cagalli, Mayura, and Juri all stood side by side when Cagalli knocked at the door. Asagi's heart was racing, and Brett kept her right beside her, and under his arm so she could not run away. The door finally opened to an older man, and he smiled to the visitors. “Lady Cagalli… why have you made it out this far to see us today?”
 
It was hard to find words to start a conversation that would change their lives again. Her parents had blamed the Orb military for getting their daughter involved in the war, but her father was trying his best to be polite, and Cagalli needed to be delicate. “Mr. Caldwell; on behalf of all of the Orb military and the Orb Government… I would like to extend the most sincere of apologies to you.”
 
To be so formal, and he was very curious to hear why she was here, and even Asagi's mother came to the door. “In the previous war; your daughter was one of the bravest young soldiers I ever met. She was a great pilot, and I know you both have never forgiven Orb for the loss of your daughter. I really don't know how to say something like this to you, but…”
 
“For god sake; spit out…” That voice was easy to recognize to Asagi; it was her mother, and despite the fact that she was hidden; she looked over to see her mom for the first time in years. “What now; you have come to apologize again; we know how great our daughter is. So please; we are just not in the mood to relive losing her again.”
 
Mayura then decided to continue where Cagalli left off; not wanting this to be held off any longer. “No Mrs. Caldwell; that is not it… We are not here because of that; this is just really hard to say but Asagi did not die in the last war.” Both thought this was a cruel joke, or that it had to be a joke, and Asagi's mom started to cry while her father got very defensive. “How can you say something like that; Asagi is dead!”
 
Regaining her composer; Cagalli returned to her formal way of speaking to tell the news. “No Mr. Caldwell; she did not die in the previous war… During the war that just ended; we came across two soldiers that we identified as your daughter, and her boyfriend Brett. I know you cannot believe what I say; because they have been declared dead for the last two years. That is why I offer my most humble apologizes.”
Finishing her statements to bow, and then Asagi's parents saw what was behind her. The young woman and man; was their daughter, and the man they had met before. Asagi's mother reached out, and with a quivering voice asked Asagi if it was her. Asagi stood there for a second; lip trembling over this reunion, and spoke a few short words. “Mom… Dad!!!”
 
Asagi bolted forwards, and her friends moved aside so she could get to the loving embrace of her parents. It was emotional, and standing there on the steps; Brett was happy just to have Asagi home safe like he promised he would have done. He remembered promising her that; that she would make it home safe, and then all Brett's strength faded away while tears formed on the un-bandaged side of his face.
 
Mayura stepped over beside him, and grabbed his hand; wondering why he was like this. “You okay Brett…?” He just smiled, and laughed nervously a little; “yeah I am… It's just I actually did what I said I would. I promised to get you all home safe, and sound. I promised that you would al be alive, but I nearly lost everything so many times.”
 
Then when he could not hear any sobs coming from around him; he looked up to see both of Asagi's parents staring at him. Brett could only look at them with his one eye, and he could only imagine how they felt about him, and he waited for there judgment. “Thank you so much for bringing our daughter home safely.”
 
Brett's body jolted with the shock of what he heard, and he was so surprised when they came forward and hugged him. Asagi watched with a tearful smile; she was just so happy about everything. She remembered Brett's promise, and fidgeted with her ring as she did. Brett was perfect for her, and she could not wait for what was to come.
 
Reliving the whole experience again; Asagi listened to Brett retell everything that had happened; while she sat near to her parents. Everyone sat around the living room; listening to the long journey, and nearly every part of this tale. At the end they were all beside themselves; hearing the story, and even accepting this because they were back. Both parents looked at Brett, and could only think of one thing to say; “thank you so much for bringing our daughter back alive.”
 
They spoke and bowed to Brett; the only thing they could do to show there respect. Asagi sat between her mother and father; glad that her parents had finally accepted Brett. Then Brett bowed his scared and bandaged face; not thinking for an instant that he disserved it. “Please there is no need to bow; if not for me then your daughter would not have had to suffer through all of this. I should be asking for her forgiveness, and your forgiveness as well…”
 
Many in the room wanted to speak contrary to this, but Asagi's mother was the first to begin. “Non sense; you protected our daughter the whole time, and you always cared for her by the sounds of things. We have heard everything, and we know that with ought you at her side; that our daughter would probably have died… please understand that we do not blame you for anything; we are just glad to have Asagi back. I wish both of you did not have to go through that; you have paid a great price to keep her safe, and we cannot thank you enough.”
 
Brett lifted his hand to cover the bandages; not feeling like much of a hero considering what Asagi had to go through. Asagi could tell he was blaming himself, but she knew how great he was, and then she remembered something she had to tell. “Mom… Dad… and even everyone; Brett protected me from everything for the last two years, and he always kept me so happy. I never could be un-happy when he was with me, and that is why we are engaged.”
 
Everyone rejoiced with the happy news; Asagi's parents congratulated her on this engagement. Her father and mother looked at Brett, and knew he was right for her, and her father decided to speak. “If anyone was to be my daughters husband; I'm certainly glad she has chosen it to be you. You have more then proven yourself, and I know your love is true; so you have my blessing.”
 
Winning the approval of Asagi's family actually got Brett to smile, and Juri and Mayura both congratulated him. Brett stood fully at attention, and he still wondered about Asagi. “Thank you, but I don't believe for a single second that I have done enough to earn this approval so easily… so if you would excuse me.”
 
Brett bowed graciously, and just left without another word; he just left and no one knew what to say. Brett exited the house into the yard; he just stood on the driveway; looking off into the distance. He started to reminisce about everything that had happened, but what worried him was the future. That assassin had nearly killed them, and more would come, and he realized that he was at a crossroad; his next choice to set the rest of his life.
 
The door to the house opened, and Asagi's father exited out onto the driveway. Brett turned to see him approaching, and he decided to open the conversation. “Mr. Caldwell… you and your wife do not have to pretend to like me, and I don't know if I can always protect your daughter. I guess I just am to nervous to accept things; you do not know what is still after me, and what ever it is may still try to kill Asagi.”
 
Mr. Caldwell took Brett under his arm, and took him for a short walk while he spoke. “Perhaps, but you still have my blessing; I know my daughter, and she can be very stubborn when she falls in love. I was not being nice because I want you with my daughter. It is true I was not that fond of you when I met you, but you have done so much for Asagi. She told us how many times you have sacrificed your own health for her, and that you always have come back to make her happy; that is who I want to be with my daughter.”
 
“Thank you for the support Mr. Caldwell; I will do my best for Asagi. Still the future is making me nervous, and I don't know if I can handle what is coming….”
 
“You will Brett; everyone inside said you were like this, but you have to trust yourself more. You will do fine with Asagi; I just want you to know how much happier you make her life. Now I think she wants you back inside beside her; so get back in there.”
 
Both returned to the house, and Brett did what he thought was best. Sitting beside Asagi, and the group talked and conversed about different things that were happening. Brett and Asagi shared there plans for every aspect of there lives, but soon the time came where it was getting late and they had to leave.
 
Goodbyes were hard on everyone, but they still had to be done. Asagi promised she would visit her mom and dad as often as possible. Brett made the promise that he would take care of her, and it made it easier on her parents. The only thing left was to invite her parents to the ceremony; they were only to happen to come to a ceremony that honored her.
 
The ceremony was to be held tomorrow, but now they were going to go to there new home. When they finally arrived; it was a parting point with more goodbyes. Cagalli mentioned to Brett that his new job would not start till after the ceremony; something that he appreciated greatly from Cagalli.
 
Mir had a long goodbye with Brett, but did not let Brett leave without promising to keep in touch with her. Juri and Lowe were leaving together; Brett and Asagi got hugs from Juri, and Lowe just said his goodbyes. The future was unknown for the young to be wed couple, but having Mayura offering them aid.
 
They collected what little they had left in there lives that Cagalli had kept, and the limo drove away; taking all of there friends. It was hard, but when Asagi was right beside Brett; it was more exciting. She could now start her new life with him; one that with no war, and no strife.
 
Entering there joint apartment; it was actually fairly spacious for just one person, and all three could easily live there. Asagi explored the apartment, but knew someday she would have her own house with Brett. The job lined up for him had more then decent pay, but it would be hard to leave Mayura behind alone.
 
Now was not the time for those thoughts; this apartment had real beds; ones that were not part of a military ship, and it was going to be just what Asagi wanted. The evening went by quick with late meals, and Asagi enjoying her own shower with real products. Life without the military; not being on a base all the time was the best.
 
When it came time to sleep; Asagi was so excited over the prospect of being able to make love to him without being in a war like situation. It was no doubt going to be amazing; she never was disappointed with anything he did, and she could trust him not to hurt her. It was not in his nature at all; she just simply loved that about him, and the nearer it got; the more excited she was.
 
When it actually came time for bed, and both were getting ready to get into bed; that Mayura came in with a sad face. She looked at both of them; disappointed that she had to break up what was between them, but she could not hold back the question. “I know it's not right of me, and that you two are probably just want to spend time alone, but can I please sleep with you?”
 
It was disappointing, but Asagi could wait for a friends sake, and looked at Brett for permission; with a face he could not say no to. Not that once in bed he did not enjoy it; both girls heads resting on the top of his chest on opposite sides. It was very relaxing for Brett; since he had strong feelings for both girls.