Gundam SEED Fan Fiction ❯ Chaotic Outbreak Infinite Energy ❯ Lightning Chapter 12 Ceremony ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 12 Ceremony
 
It would take some time for things to become normal again, but till then it was nice to sleep in a place without the looming threat of battle. Sleeping was so much easier, but getting use to a normal life was less exciting. There would be no more battles at least for a while; the fact was the war was over, but Brett knew there was other things happening that were affecting everything. All these thoughts made the future seem very interesting, but right now he should not be thinking of the daunting future.
 
Here he was with Asagi, Juri, Mayura, and a good portion of the Archangel crew was all on a stage inside a massive building. Before them were nearly a thousand soldiers with special military personnel and key members. It was an honor ceremony for end of the war, and one that Cagalli thought was very important.
 
Asagi sat right beside Brett and held his hand, she could just tell he was nervous about what was coming up. Cagalli had made it a key point to honor Brett who was her long time friend. Brett was not very anxious to get up and speak, and felt that there were better people who could have been here. Asagi however would not let him leave though, she believed that Brett was most disserving of this award he would be receiving.
 
Cagalli finally took the stage and went straight to the podium with a few guards following her. Cagalli took a few seconds to organize her thoughts, but Brett was amazed at how different she was, and yet still the same. All whispering stopped, and Cagalli could finally start this televised event.
 
“I would like to thank everyone for coming here today, and even everyone watching and paying there respects right now. Orb has suffered just like the entire world, and now we have to look to the future to build a better tomorrow. We will build a better tomorrow for everyone and look to eliminating war from the globe once and for all. We cannot keep blaming others for what they are, but together we can build a future free of war. However we could never have had achieved our goal without all the brave soldiers that gave there lives for everyone of us still alive today…”
 
“There gift cannot never be wasted; they have given all of us a peaceful world to live in. Many brave soldiers fought tirelessly to bring us today, and we all need to thank them and pray that their souls find rest… every last person who gave there lives disserves so much and I wish that we could do more for them then the monuments we plan to build. We have to rebuild our country once more, and this time I promise to stay and be the leader you all disserve, and that our country needs.”
 
Cagalli's speech briefly stopped when the sadness gripped her for a moment, and all she did was take a few seconds to regain her composure. Brett was impressed that Cagalli had grown so much into a strong leader, and yet he and Asagi were still like teenagers. It was amazing addressing all of these people at once, something Brett was dreading. “But today is about more then just honoring the memories of those who have fallen, but those who survived.”
 
“I Cagalli Yula Attha especially need to apologize to a few people specifically… in the last war I did not do everything in my power, and I stopped believing in their survival. I have made errors in judgment, but this was my worst mistake that I have ever made. I gave up on two important friends lives during the first war, and they suffered tremendously because of my mistake. I offer my sincerest apology to the family of Asagi Caldwell, and especially to my long time friend Brett…”
 
“Both of them never stopped fighting and through there efforts they have brought us this today. I apologize from the bottom of my heart and beg their forgiveness for my mistake. Both of them will be receiving the highest honor that Orb can give… not because of my error, but because even after how much they suffered. They still fought in the war that just ended to ensure Orb's survival; I would like for Brett to come up and say a few words to inspire us. Many of you know him, but I have always looked to him for strength so please join me in welcoming Brett up here.”
 
The crowd applauded him, and his friends clapped the loudest of everyone while Brett reluctantly got up. Cagalli bowed to him as Brett nervously stepped up to the podium not thinking for a second that he could handle this, but when he stepped up he had to say something. “Um… hello everyone I don't really know what it is that I could possibly have done to have earned this honor…”
 
“I just started out as a technician, and one that never disserved any praise what so ever, and I don't think I disserve any awards. I just did what I could and that was all, I should have died long ago but I could not because of the people that I loved… they are the reason I'm here, and I don't know how some one like me can ever be looked to for strength. I never was a leader, and I never will be; I cannot comprehend how to be one. I don't need any apology or award, and I cannot accept them.”
 
Asagi nearly got out of her chair, but every one did not believe this after what they had heard about him. “I'm nothing more then a damaged person; I have never been the same person since the events of the first war. The person you are celebrating did die, and all that is left of me is this. I don't have a purpose beyond a future of fighting, that is my purpose… I don't have a family or any relatives, all I have left is my friends. I'm sorry I should not be wasting everyone's time, I have to leave.”
 
Brett started to walk off the stage when Asagi got up and stopped him. Brett looked so ashamed of what he had done, but also so sad at what he had done. Asagi led him back up to the podium and she decided to speak instead. “We both want to thank all of you; Brett has always been this hard on himself and he kept me safe in the worst of times. I know for a fact that I would have died without him protecting me, and Cagalli has done so much for us. Brett does not mean to be rude, but we have both been through so much and he never forgives him self for what happened.”
 
“I know that he is such a good person and that he only ever continues to protect everyone that he can. Because of that he is always pushing himself to hard, but he never has stopped me from smiling. All I can say is thank you; especially all the people who brought Brett back and kept him safe. I would like to thank everyone for listening and honoring us.”
 
Cagalli was so stunned and just had to watch Asagi lead Brett over to her. Both bowed before Cagalli presented them with their medals of honor. She had always guessed Brett would pull something like this, but it was not like she could blame him after al he had been through. Everyone stood up and applauded Brett and Asagi for everything, and most just considered Brett to be incredibly moderate.
 
Now it had been two months since the day of the awards ceremony and Brett was even more depressed. It was now nothing more then a dull boring normal life that he felt un-content with. The last few months he had seen less and less of everyone that he knew. He just sat in Mayura's apartment by himself looking out the window. He had not even seen Asagi his still to be bride and things were seeming more like he was left out.
 
Now Brett had lost contact with his friends, and even Asagi's cheerful wedding plans had slowed to nothing. Brett could not get any answers for why, but eventually he just stopped trying to find out why. His mind would fill in the worst case possibilities, but no matter what his life seemed always to be getting worse.
 
Asagi and Mayura would leave early and hardly speak to Brett unless they needed something. Brett got no answers from phone calls, and his spirit always was felt to be so depressed. There was nothing really to be noticed, and Brett imagined that Asagi was growing apart from him. Now he felt so alone and cut off even that he was not supposed to be here, not even his birthday had been celebrated, but only forgotten.
 
Perhaps this was Brett's punishment for him always beating himself up, or maybe he had not done enough. What ever it was Brett finally decided to leave the apartment and head out to find someone. He did not bother to grab anything on his way out since he would not need it. All he wanted to do was get answers for everything that had happened.
 
Hours passed while Brett searched on the bright sunny day looking for anything that he could recognize. Brett would stop to ask a few people every now and then ask if anyone had seen them, but never once had anyone. It was beginning to become apparent that no one wanted to be found until Brett happened upon a church where he spotted Mayura's vehicle.
 
Finally having had enough waiting Brett pushed though the doors into the church looking for Asagi to apologize. He pushed deeper into the main part, but inside he then stumbled into the middle of a marriage ceremony. Everything just suddenly stopped, and at first Brett figured he must have made a mistake till he recognized the bride and groom.
 
Everyone was dead silent at the sight of Brett, and the only sound came from Brett. Everyone in the crowd was his friends and closest allies. At the alter was Cagalli and Athrun halfway to becoming bride and groom. All the emotions inside Brett were boiling even when he started to cry from the overwhelming sensation of not being wanted any more. Even Asagi could not bare to look at Brett or say anything, but Brett could. “What… just what is going on!”
 
Asagi wanted to speak up until she heard grinding metal in the back of her head, and she clenched her jaw shut. “Why the hell did you all do this to me? Is it because I'm not even human, or maybe because… AHHHH!!! I just don't god damn know what I did to disserve this!!! Will someone please answer me!”
 
No one could answer leaving a long awkward silence that anyone wanted to break even thought they could not. Brett finally gave in and dropped to his knees, but even his weakness in his legs did not stop his anger. “So this how you all want to tell me; I can't understand why all of you decided to treat me this bad, but fine. It's not like I ever had a real birth so I guess this it right? Well fine I guess I will just leave then..! Don't worry because I won't ever bother you again… no matter how close I got you all; I have learned my lesson to never trust anyone.”
 
“… I'm so sorry Asagi that I kept you alive because all you did was make me feel so much worse then being dead. I can't believe that you would do this, but that makes it pretty obvious that I should be by my self… so don't come after me no matter how fucking bad you feel. I hate you, and I will… I just don't love you at all and take this stupid thing back!!!”
 
Brett took the engagement ring that Asagi had given him in return to his and threw it to Asagi's feet. It took everything in Asagi to not move an inch or even cry a single tear. Brett just shook his head feeling so devastated and confused. The reason became irrelevant and in a second Brett left without another word taking a photo from his pocket.
 
He stopped at the exit to the church and looked at it for a second. It was from when Asagi and Brett first met. Now looking at it only hurt the young man more, and he tore it down the middle separating the two in the picture before throwing the halves away. After that he just left the premises just wandering in a random direction that would take him away for ever.
 
Back in the church Asagi finally broke down into tears and was so angry that this had to happen and the choice she made. Finally from the roof descended a female figure cloaked by a trench coat holding Lacus in her arms with a kunai placed at her jugular. “Well you all did really well, to think two months of hard work could have been ruined by all you… especially you, but I have to say you definitely broke his poor little heart. You were all so amazing that I should give you all a hand in crushing all of his spirit, boy though did he sound like he really hates you.”
 
Nothing Asagi could do express her sadness at how she must have made Brett felt, his words that he would never love her again. Then Asagi just stopped crying and could not do anything. Her heart felt tremendous pain from the shock of everything coming to light, and the only way it could be described was that her own heart broke completely. She had failed Brett for the sake of Lacus's safety and she felt the worst ever like the lowest form of life with no point or purpose. Asagi slipped into a state of depression and the sight caused Mayura to get down beside Asagi, and to whisper encouraging words to try and keep Asagi from giving up on life.
 
All words Mayura spoke fell on deaf ears though; Asagi was already gone and lifeless with no heart to give. Too sad that she had done something so horrible to the person that meant the whole world, and he was gone now. The tone of anger and hatred was one that Asagi would never have expected Brett to use on anyone other then his enemies. In the crowd were many angered friends that had all been brought together by the single threat, and they all were waiting for any chance to take this woman down.
 
Andrew Waltfeld was anxious with the gun that he had brought, but he could not do anything with Lacus still in the way. “Oh look at her; her heart must have broke to it is funny that you all are so angry at me… any of you could have broke the silence and hoped he could have stopped me, but I guess little Asagi does not really love him at all. You listening blondie; I hope it hurts that much more that your perfect love fell apart like nothing. True love is garbage, it does not exist and he will not come back no matter what you do!”
 
It was thought to be impossible, but Asagi felt her heart break even more, and she then stopped caring about anything; even her life. She absolutely did not want to live if Brett was not there beside her, but she wished she would have said anything. Mayura could tell her best friend was already gone no matter what she said, but she would not stand for it. “You… I Hate you for doing this you…”
 
“Me what…? Come on and just say it; I don't care because I had a job to do. Now that he has been separated I can just go off and kill him without any worry of him getting powered up because he wants too live because he had the perfect love! I love injuring people's hearts; it is so much more fun to play with your prey before you kill them off… but really you all need to be mad at yourselves because you but one life before another. You all chose this girl because she is stopping war, so if you ask me you did not care about him at all.”
 
“You are a coward; employing such tricks to get to Brett this way is despicable to treat someone so carelessly. You hurt someone that we all care about, and once we stop you we will make sure we find him and set things right, and we will. Too take such an easy way shows no respect for anyone or anything.”
 
“Easy… easy…? You know you are not as smart as everyone gives you credit for, Mrs. Lacus. I held you hostage for months and organized this whole thing you pest. Why am I even wasting my breath on you; you could never understand my brilliance, and now I'm going to go hunt him down, and chop him up into small pieces. He won't put up any fight now that his heart has been so damaged.”
 
Cagalli barely held herself back, but Lowe did not wait to standup and speak in his usual disrespectful tone. “You ugly old woman, you don't disserve to be alive!”
 
“OLD…? Ugly…? Just for that insult I'm going to kill the girl anyway and then slaughter all of you pains in my…!”
 
“Lacus…!”
 
Kira's sudden shout knocked Larxene off balance for a minute before Kira body checked the blond haired girl holding Lacus as a hostage. Kira quickly rose up with Lacus safe in his arms a s he led her out. Mayura grabbed Asagi and pulled her out of the way of harm while everyone scrambled away from the angered evil woman who hit the floor hard.
 
Andrew upholstered his gun quickly ready for this event long before it happened. Quickly he fired off multiple shots that went right through Larxene. She cried out in pain and quickly rose up to her feat clasping her side in pain. She could not believe things had gone so wrong, now she could not hope to hunt Brett with such injuries, and many guns were still on her.
 
“If you want to live then I suggest you leave here and leave us all alone out of gratitude that I let you live after all of this!”
 
Larxene was beyond angry, but there was absolutely nothing she could do beyond scowl. She had lost her focus for an instant and it cost her; this game was over. All she wanted was a chance to finally prove herself, but now she had to retreat; forced backwards till she disappeared into a black cloud of evil energy till she disappeared.
 
Everyone relaxed for a second before springing quickly into action. Kira was tending to Lacus as she sobbed for the shear terror she had experienced. Still Lacus felt bad for being captured and used to hurt someone she cared about. Kira however was for the moment focused only on Lacus's safety for the time being, and he promised to get Lacus to a hospital just in case.
 
Mayura wanted to go find Brett, but then there was Asagi who was barely breathing. Her heart was faint and Mayura cried for someone to get an Ambulance. Mayura guessed that Brett's statement had broken Asagi's heart the same way his was, but Asagi was taking it harder with her loss of will to live. To Mayura looking into Asagi's lifeless and unresponsive eyes told the tale of a woman who gave up on everything.
 
Athrun rushed out side only to find the torn photo lying on the ground with no sight of Brett. Andrew and Lowe both joined Athrun outside and looked around to see the exact same thing. “He's gone, and no doubt he is going to be hard to track or even stop. This is not good; Asagi is hurt too and I think it is more severe then just a little trauma. I think we should split up and find him now!”
 
The three guys quickly split up and went off looking for Brett feeling the incredible urge to how much damage had been done over the last two months.