Gundam SEED Fan Fiction ❯ Chaotic Outbreak Infinite Energy ❯ Chapter 13 Broken Hearts ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 13 Broken Hearts
 
“I don't know how to fix it Mrs.; All I know is that physically she is fine. She appears to have given up on life for one reason or another… I can't stop that so unless something happens soon that can fix what ever happened, she is going to die. I'm sorry but we have done all that we can do.”
 
Things were grim for Asagi and Mayura just let out a scream of frustration to relieve her stress level. Her best friend was on breathing aid because she had her heart broken giving her no reason to live any longer. Asagi was nearly a lifeless doll that did not respond to anything, and her eyes had become dull and reflected no light. After losing what she loved most, the thing she thought that she never would lose and now she did not want to continue.
 
It was the worst thing a broken heart could bring, and even with all the technologies supporting her body; Asagi's spirit was gone and causing her body to shut down. The doctor apologized again before leaving to check on Lacus's health. Lacus was in the next room, and Kira was just being extra careful getting her aid to keep her safe.
 
The heaviest thing on Lacus's mind was the fact that she had played the greatest role in something so evil. Only Kira staying with her was helping her get through this, but despite all the pain Lacus had suffered, the young woman wanted to go fix what she had done. Kira however kept her close and would not let her, he knew if Asagi died that it would be Lacus who would shoulder all the blame.
 
Low and Juri sat in Asagi's room hoping for a miracle, and even Cagalli was praying hard for all of this to automatically fixed. Every hour death was closing in making it more and more imperative to find Brett. Every hour though everyone Cagalli had summoned including police and fiends to look for Brett, there was never a single spotting.
 
Mayura paced back and forth out in the halls waiting for any news, but every so often went in to tell her friend Brett still loved her. Some how the heart broken girl was still alive, but was making it hard for the doctors and nurses to fight a condition like this. To see her friend like this was too much for her heart, and then Cagalli came up to her whispering under her voice. “Still no word from anyone seeing anything, and there has been no reports of him leaving the country. I hope he is alright; I still feel really bad going along with all that but Lacus…”
 
The pause in Cagalli's statement finally did Mayura's patience in; she ran away fast as she could down the hall towards the stairs. Cagalli questioned through a yell where Mayura was going, but got no response. Mayura just felt that she could not wait and figured she knew where he was. Even if it was a long shot it was worth it, because she knew Asagi could not last.
 
All the time Mayura had been with Brett and Asagi had silenced her own feelings for Brett but that was for her friend. They were always so happy together and after all the time watching them oblivious this was not fair. Mayura could not even begin to believe her friend disserved something this horrible. After two years of suffering even if it meant Mayura could never express her feelings, Asagi needed him more.
 
Mayura got outside and quickly into her car wasting little time doing up her seatbelt. She started the car and quickly backed out of her spot. In her mind she only could think of two possible places, but it was worth the effort. If there was even a remote chance then it was worth it to save both her friends. She had to take this slim chance, and prey her hunch paid off.
 
Inside Cagalli mindlessly wandered back into Asagi's room, she did not look good at all hooked up to machines trying to keep her alive. Cagalli cringed at the way Asagi looked still suffering even though she never disserved this. She closed her eyes, but still she heart the much slower then normal beep of Asagi's heart monitor. Then Cagalli heard footsteps and turned to see a doctor approaching her with a sad face.
 
Cagalli knew it was bad news but before she could even ask the doctor, he was already starting to speak. “I'm sorry Lady Cagalli, we have done all we can. With her current rate of heartbeat I cannot see her lasting more then an hour or two. We have tried anti depressants but she has lost the will to live. I'm very sorry, but she is going to die unless something can snap her out of this spiral.”
 
“Thank you doctor…” was all Cagalli said before the doctor shook his head a little and walked away feeling incredibly depressed by himself.
 
Mayura's car came to a screeching halt before she jumped out of the car in a state of panic. She looked around the beautiful open park space, and then she began to run into the park looking franticly for any person. She ran tirelessly into different areas till she finally stopped, over on a bench was a young man starring off into the distance; the sight caused Mayura to smile as she started to run over to the young man, but then she noticed he was not moving.
 
When she got up beside him, Mayura gasped to see Brett sitting there awake but bleeding out of an open wound in his chest. The knife was still partly in him, and Mayura started get teary eyed at this. The wound was bad, and she could not even begin to think how this happened. She got close and finally Brett moved a little to look at Mayura.
 
Mayura waited but got no response, but at least he was still alive. Mayura was so happy but wondered how this could have happened, but now all the wondering made her so nervous that she had to talk. “How did this happen, are you okay?”
 
Brett could barely move after how long he had been sitting here but he still found the strength to talk quietly. “I just wandered here, and then I was attacked by someone tonight. They stabbed me and stole everything I had and left me to die. I came here because this place because this was point where my life became so bad. Why are you here?”
 
“What kind of stupid question is that to be asking me; I'm here because everyone is worried about you. Asagi needs you so much right now!”
 
“No she doesn't Mayura; she already made it clear when she said nothing. I was just used by everyone, and then abandoned by all the people I use to love, so just let her go off and find someone else because I don't love her.”
 
Finally Mayura broke and slapped Brett once with enough force so it was heard through the entire park. Then Mayura wasted no time and slapped Brett multiple times till she broke down crying on Brett's shoulder. Then she looked up into his eyes with a fairly angry look and spoke her mind. “You are an absolute idiot if you believed that we did that. I can't believe you thought we would do that; it was Larxene; she did everything to try and get you using Lacus as a hostage!”
 
Brett's eyes shot open when he heard the story, and it fit in his mind. He wanted to cry now more then anything, but Mayura still had more important things to say. “Don't you get it that Asagi is really in trouble, after what you said she gave up on life. She is barely alive… please just tell me that you are still in love with Asagi, because I can't let her go through this, and I don't want you to lose her either.”
 
“Of course I still do, Asagi is dying because of me…”
 
Quickly Brett tried to get up, but just could not leaving Mayura to lift Brett up off the bench. He was heavy but not impossible, the whole time Brett was suffering from the crisis that he was going to be the one responsible for Asagi dying. Mayura figured he was going to be going into a state of shock soon, and no matter how worn out she was she had to get Brett there soon. “Brett stay with me okay; Asagi will be fine I promise!”
 
The cry to Brett's senses did little good, and it took over five minutes for Mayura to make it back to her vehicle where she put Brett lying down in the back seat. Quickly she reached for her purse and got out her cell phone and dialed Cagalli. Brett was in the back questioning himself on how he could have been so stupid.
 
The phone answered after a few rings and Mayura was connected with Cagalli where Mayura franticly began to speak. “Cagalli I found him; Brett was in the park but he was stabbed and I'm to scarred to touch the wound. Is Asagi still alright…?”
 
Cagalli was happy and sad at the same time, and she looked over to the young blond who was ready to die. “She is still alive, but there's no way you can make it back before she is going to die. Asagi can't hold on any longer I'm sorry but…”
 
“Then put the phone to Asagi's ear!”
 
The shout startled Cagalli so much that she just obeyed not wanting Asagi to suffer any longer. Meanwhile Mayura jumped into the back seat beside Brett and put the phone to his mouth, but he was still panicking about what he had done. Again Mayura slapped him and brought him back to his senses, and Mayura started to beg. “Brett, please just talk to her… say anything I know just hearing you will keep her alive; please.”
 
Brett understood and hoped it was not too late, and then just found himself crying out for Asagi to answer and forgive him. “Asagi… Asagi please say something; please don't die! I'm so sorry I was so stupid; I still love you I swear just please don't die and leave me alone!”
 
Cagalli could easily hear since Brett was yelling, and she was glad to hear him. Then Cagalli noticed a single tear coming from Asagi's eye, and her heart rate jumped a little. Everyone in the room was ecstatic, and Cagalli continued to hold the phone close to Asagi's ear the whole time. A small little voice crept out of her throat, and the hope inside her grew stronger again. “Brett…”
 
“Asagi! Hold on please I promise; I will come to you I swear!”
 
“It can't be him; Brett abandoned me…”
 
“Asagi please don't die!!!”
 
Mayura lifted Brett's hand and placed the cell phone in it, then quickly got to the drivers seat and closed the doors. The small little sports car drove off quickly carrying Brett as fast as Mayura could.
 
The car ripped through abandoned intersections and barely slowed or stopped. Mayura knew she had to get quickly to the hospital, and could hear Brett talking to Asagi. It did not take long for Mayura to get to the hospital, and she made her way right to the entrance where Lowe was waiting. Mayura jumped out form the car and spoke to Lowe. “Be careful Brett was stabbed in his side, and if we don't keep him talking to Asagi she may give up.”
 
Quickly Lowe nodded before he opened the door and helped Brett out. Lowe was able to carry Brett much easier, and Mayura kept the phone to his ear. They made there way up stairs to Asagi's room where Brett was placed on the side of her bed. Now weakness meant nothing and Brett could feel his heart snap into two pieces.
 
It was his fault; Asagi was like this because of him and the pain in his heart was far worse then any injury he could have got. Brett touched Asagi's face but somehow Asagi's heart rate was fading fast, and even with her eyes open she did not look like she could see anything. Brett got right in front of her vision and started to cry at the sight of Asagi being so lifeless. “Asagi please; please don't die because of what I did… please come back…”
 
Everyone else could just listen and pray it was not too late after everything. Lacus had gotten out of bed with Kira's aid, and she needed to watch this more then anyone, but if not for Kira she would have been too weak to bare witness. Brett still held himself up, and he had to at least apologize before it was over. “Asagi please know that I never for one second meant what I said; how could I have… I was just so hurt that I could not see what was going on…”
 
“I never meant anything, I still love you I swear on everything and I wish I could go back and take back everything. Please if you can still hear me… don't leave me now, I still love you the same way I know you still love me… please… I'm so sorry, Asagi.”
 
Brett's tears fell right onto Asagi's face, and Brett just kept hearing the dull heart beat monitor. Then it ended and the flat line sign rang out through the room causing Brett's heart to skip a beat. Everyone else gasped to what they saw, and Mayura dropped to her knees and started to cry. Brett then smelt Asagi's sweet smell and then came the hug he absolutely needed, and he questioned what had happened.
 
To his surprise Asagi had jumped out bed and hugged Brett so fast that she had lost the sensors attached to her. It was too much and Brett felt so weak and he could not believe it when he heard Asagi's voice come from over his shoulder. “I'm so sorry too; I'm so happy I still am lucky enough to have you. I'm so sorry…”
 
Both were crying, but it was obvious at this point that both would be fine since they started laughing and crying together. Both exclaimed how sorry they were and trying to apologize to the other, but finally everyone watching relaxed. It had been a long hard day but things were going to be alright, Mayura figured that it was the hope Asagi always had because she believed in Brett no matter what, but now her heart was at peace since both would be fine.
 
Now Asagi and Brett were locked together in an inseparable hug, and all the girls had to just wipe their tears away. The doctor who was standing in the room motioned for Cagalli to come out into the hall, and she did. Kira saw them and leaned over to whisper that everything was fine to Lacus, and then led her back to get some rest.
 
In the hallway; the doctor closed the door behind them and was ready to tell Cagalli what he had planned. “Lady Cagalli; it is important that we take care of his wounds soon. However I won't be doing too much and I won't separate them. I believe you are listed as the closest thing to a guardian so I need your permission to go ahead.”
 
“That is fine, but please just let them stay together, but why not give them anything to help with the pain?”
 
“I think both of them need time right now to let their hearts recover. After all the trauma Asagi cannot take the stress, and I think they should just ease back into things. You are more then welcome to stay the night if it makes you feel better?”
 
“Thank you, I think I might just to keep an eye on them. First I just have let everyone know, but thank you for all your aid.”
 
“It is my pleasure…”
 
Later Asagi was lying down on her stomach off to Brett's good side; the breathing aid was gone, and Asagi's heart rate was quickly returning to normal. Asagi kept asking Brett to stay with her, and Brett kept answering for all time. Asagi had even cried that Brett had been hurt, and they were getting better.
 
Now Mayura was asleep along with Lowe and Juri too. Brett and Asagi both asked Mayura too stay, and they both loved her for what she did. She was now more then a friend, and they both wanted to tell Mayura when she woke up. Brett and Asagi spoke softly to the other, and they talked about everything they could think of while Brett was sown up.
 
The blade had been painfully removed without the use of any anesthetics or pain killers for the fear of what they could do to Brett or even Asagi. Both had endured too much stress and trauma to risk it, and so it was done without. Still the administered medicines to prevent infection, and he was lucky it had not hit organs and he was then sown up and had a cloth bandaged applied to the area and Asagi watched closely.
 
Asagi did what she could and continually hugged Brett when a nerve was struck. It was hard, but just Asagi being there was enough to get him through it. She kept her head right by Brett, but switched between looking at his face and his wound. She still had trouble believing it was not a dream, but she would take it, and she kept kissing him ever so often, and it helped both immensely even thought they cried when they did kiss.
 
The doctor left politely, and Cagalli came in after telling everyone that Asagi and Brett were fine. It felt like the whole traumatic event was over, and everyone would rather have a boring normal life then to ever experience this again. Cagalli was quick to fall asleep since she was so tired from all the worrying, but now it was over except for Brett and Asagi. “Brett; I can't sleep…”
 
“It's okay Asagi; neither can I so we can just talk and take this all in. I promise I won't leave you, and I won't let Mayura go either after what she did.”
 
“Thank you Brett, for being so strong…”
 
“Thank you Asagi for helping me be, I will not leave you, I promise.”
 
When dawn finally arrived it was looking to be a much brighter day. Mayura woke up early and went over to sit beside Brett. He was still up and watching over Asagi, and Mayura guessed he promised to stay awake while she slept to keep her safe. Mayura was acting more affectionate towards Brett, and she kept telling herself it was because she almost lost her friends; when in truth it was because she still was in love with Brett