Gundam SEED Fan Fiction ❯ Memorial ❯ Memorial ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Memorial
 
 
Yzak walked slowly up to the memorial stone placed in memory of all who had lost their lives in the war. He had joined the PLANTS delegation that was to sign the peace treaty on Junius Seven. However, he had not attended the meeting. Instead, he had slipped out to visit the memorial site.
 
As he stepped closer towards the memorial stone, his steps became more hesitant, as he spied a figure already there, placing a bouquet of flowers at the bottom of the stone. The figure turned around, and Yzak saw that it was a boy around his age, with sorrowful violet eyes and brown hair. They stared at each other in silence for a heartbeat, before the boy smiled and bowed to him. Startled, Yzak returned the bow.
 
Straightening from it, they stared at each other, startled blue eyes into sad violet ones. “You've come to visit the memorial, haven't you? To pay your respect to as well as to remember the dead, right?” asked the boy.
 
“Yes, I have.” Said Yzak. “I didn't intend to say and listen to all the political yammering going on inside. It seemed more fitting to come out here and remember the dead, and to keep faith. They will never be forgotten.” Squinting a little, Yzak asked, “Have we met before? You seem familiar.”
 
The boy smiled. Before he could say anything, a green mechanical bird appeared, chirping out “Birdy!” as it landed on the boy's shoulder. The boy glanced at the bird and then looked at Yzak. “My name is Kira Yamato.”
 
Instantly, Yzak recalled him. The pilot of the Strike, and then later on, the pilot of Freedom. The person he had sworn to kill during the war. The person who had been at the Onogoro base in Orb, whose mechanical bird had gone to meet Athrun. The person who was Athrun's friend, the one who killed Nicole, and yet had saved his life. Giving a slightly brittle smile, Yzak said, “So we finally meet in person, Kira Yamato. I'm Yzak Joule, pilot of the Duel.”
 
Kira just smiled. “Yes, I know.”
 
Silence fell over them then, just as the wind picked up speed, swirling around the area, lifting up leaves and ruffling up their hair.
 
Looking away from him, Yzak said, “I didn't know they were civilians. I wouldn't have killed them if I knew. I thought they were just cowardly soldiers.”
 
“Aa.” Kira said. “The war had many casualties. Why should people discriminate between Naturals and Coordinators? Both live and have feelings. Life's too precious to waste. I hope that people will remember that now.”
 
“Yes.”
 
Glancing down at his watch, Kira grimaced slightly. “I'd better get going. I didn't realise it was so late. I don't think we'll see each other again. But good luck to you, Yzak Joule. May the PLANTS prosper and peace be with you.”
 
“And to you, Kira Yamato.”
 
With that, they shook hands and Yzak watched as Kira and his mechanical pet became lost on the horizon. He would always regret that he had killed those civilians. The horror he felt when he discovered that his hands were stained red with the blood of innocents would never disappear. And so, he prayed that they forgave him and vowed to protect the fragile trust and peace that came with the signing of this treaty.
 
May war never break out again.
 
A.N. I admit that this piece is just bits of rambling. Yzak also seems slightly OOC. I always wondered what if Yzak and Kira were to meet? And what if Yzak realised that that shuttle contained civilians and not the soldiers as he had assumed? This disjointed effort was what came out of those thoughts. Please review. I apologise if this story doesn't make much sense.