Gundam SEED Fan Fiction ❯ Mobile Suit Gundam SEED: Odyssey V ❯ Clash of the Titans ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Warcan be a confusing thing. Sometimes comrades become bitter rivals, sometimes rivals become trusted allies. Sometimes families are divided, other times families are created. The interesting thing about it is even after the war is over, such relationships still linger on…
-Raw Le Creuset

Phase 04: Clash of the Titans
 
It had been quite sometime since anyone in Gray Wolf had moved so busily. Not since the Junius Seven drop had the pirates gone through such activity as the mobile suit standing in the middle of the harbor did. Similar to Gulliver's Travels, the Gundam mobile suit stood there, still in its Phase-Shift equipped box with people swarming around it or under it. Only the Sword Calamity, Forbidden Blue and Raider Full Spec that stood around it kept one from mistaking the gunmetal mobile suit as some holy statue that the pirates had a erected, since the mobile suit had that `holy warrior' tone to it.

Of course, the mobile suit wasn't the only center of attention, as several boxes were also being loaded into the Lesseps-class battleship Rommel. In only a matter of time, Gray Wolf would be leaving Catalina Island and unwanted attention from the Atlantic Federation behind. So they were hard at work trying to get everything ready to transport and move, and this included the mysterious mobile suit.
 
While technicians gathered around the body, looking it over for every piece of equipment they could find, Vale sat in the cockpit, looking over the various instruments and controls that decorated it. It was no question that this Gundam was going to be his next mobile suit. So far, the techs weren't finding anything wrong with the mobile suit, and in fact had found equipment that was more cutting edge than a lot of things in Gray Wolf's arsenal. Isamu, who was on ground level at his computer, was checking the Gundam's OS for data, and he himself was having a ball with everything he was finding. The only question that remained was could it survive the ace's love for pulling Gs and sudden bursts of movement? Vale, for one, figured it could, it is a Gundam after all.
 
He didn't notice it, but a smile of anticipation curled on Vale's face when he rested his hand over one of the control sticks, running his finger over the red trigger button at the top. He had to admit it; it had been a long time since he had seen a mobile suit like this. Just by looking at the MS on the outside, he could see the cutting edge technology that was inside it. It obviously had Phase-Shift armor of its own, due to the gunmetal gray scheme that MS like that had, an onslaught of weapons like CIWS, beam sabers, two different kinds of energy cannons in its back nacelles, the twin beam rifles on the hip holsters, plus a vernier configuration that Vale never saw before. Even the cockpit was well more advanced than anything Vale was used to (he especially liked the 360 degree monitor).
 
“Hey Vale!” Isamu called from below, his voice loud enough to go over the technicians and into the open cockpit. He sounded a little annoyed. “Captain wants you to see what I found!”

”Alright, be down in a sec.” Vale said offhandedly. He got up off the cockpit chair and slipped onto the lifting cable, safely lowering himself down to ground level. There he walked over to a small cart that held a single computer monitor its top, a very large hard drive underneath, and a keyboard and wireless mouse on a tray table. Wires came out of the hard drive and went all the way up to the Gundam's open cockpit, where Vale had just been. Isamu, of course, was at the computer, and Friedrich himself was just standing behind him, waiting for him to show whatever it is he was going to show.

“So, what'd you find?” Vale asked, hoping his voice didn't sound that eager.

Isamu sighed, irritated. “Oh, this and that... The security system is a complete pain in the ass, more so than the one on Ed's suit, but I got some things out…” He gestured for Vale to come beside Friedrich, so he could look over the monitor. When Vale complied, Isamu pressed a button and displayed the technical manual to the mobile suit. “Allow me to introduce ZGMF-X23K Saviour Gundam Kai, apparently a revamped and refined version of the mobile suit Athrun Zala used not too long ago.”

”Interesting.” Cunningham remarked as he looked over the manual.

“I can't find any history or identification on the mobile suit's manufacturer or who it was intended for, but I found the blueprints and performance data. It's definitely designed for high mobility, with a shit load of vernier thrusters and apogee motors, plus a nice transformation that turns it into a fighter jet. It has extended battery power, so it can operate at long-ranges, and like the original Saviour, it can recharge itself from D-BESS.” Isamu explained. D-BESS meant Deuterion Beam Energy Supply System, one of the leading innovations ZAFT between the first and second wars.

”Okay…” Vale said, “What else?”

Isamu sighed, “That's all I could get so far.”

”That's it!?” Friedrich quipped, looking up at the mobile suit with a sneer, “You called me out here just to tell me the obvious?”

”Look, you ordered me to inform you when I find something, right?” Isamu groaned, annoyed at the Gray Wolf commander's quick temperament.

”Right…” Cunningham asked, not sure what Isamu was getting at.

”Well, I found something. It's not much but it's still something. The rest is just techno-babble neither you nor Mwu La Flaga here will understand.” Isamu said, getting up and picking up a clipboard from the side of the cart, “And now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going on a late night snack break.”

”No you're not! You're going to sit down and dig deeper until I know everything from its maker to its expiration date!” Cunningham commanded.

”Bite my ass, Captain! I'm hungry.” Isamu retorted snidely. He smacked the clipboard on Friedrich's chest and stomped off, muttering random curse words and irritations as he went. It was pretty obvious he was tired, but because of the new mobile suit, Friedrich wouldn't allow him to turn in.

”You know, you're being a little hard edged, even by your standards Freddy.” Vale said, “Give the kid some credit. At least he got in Saviour's computer without tripping over the security.”

Cunningham glared at Vale, “We invested a lot of resources into that twerp, so he better pull his weight more.”

”Hey, all we had to do was turn the mobile suit on, but no, you're paranoid about bombs or explosives being triggered by the battery powering up, so you have Isamu hack into the OS while the suit is inactive. Quite a waste of resources if you ask me.”

”It's worth the risk. If that thing is a time bomb, we would've…”

Vale laughed, “Oh please Freddy, who'd go to the trouble of attaching a bomb to a very advanced piece of machinery when they could just stick a mini-nuke and N-Jammer Cancellor in that PS box?” he pointed out.

This stopped Cunningham in midsentence, “Good point.” He looked the Gundam up and down like a wolf sizing out a new object in its territory, “What do you think it is then?”

Vale shrugged, “Wrong delivery address?”

”Riiiiight.” Cunningham rolled his eyes. Like Vale would be able to help him there. “Well, if it's not a bomb, then it'll be nice to get this thing tested out, see what it can do.”

”I could use it to spar with the Ed-boy.” Vale suggested slyly, thumbing at the parked Sword Calamity.

”That wouldn't be much of a match; the Sword Calamity can't fly well, just jump really long distances. And it can't use Striker packs either.” Friedrich said.

”I wasn't suggesting the Calamity. I was thinking he could use the Raider after Isamu overhauls it again.” Vale said.

”Sorry, I talked with the techs, and…” Friedrich said. He would've explained further, but he stopped to see Lyn making a mad dash at him and Vale's direction, with a clipboard in hand. That was never good. “Lyn? What is it?” he asked hurriedly as Lyn stopped.

”Got… a call… from inland…” Lyn huffed, stopping for a moment to take in some air. She didn't notice Vale's eyes wander to her posterior when she bent over a little, and if she did, she wouldn't have cared. This was much more important. “We got a report from Tyson's Bay that The Stampede are attacking Madd Dogg's gang.”

”What!?” Cunningham nearly jumped, as did Vale. Although the Atlantic territories were home to many splinter groups, mostly pirates or former ZAFT or EAF squadrons that had deserted after Break the World, The Stampede happened to be one of the larger groups. Like their namesake, they traveled in a massive horde that wandered from area to area, sacking any town or burning any bridge they came across. Your slightly-above average group of bandits, only the Atlantic Federation offered a nice bounty on any of their members' heads. “When did this start?”

”No more than a few hours ago.” Lyn said, “We have an opportunity, Captain, I suggest we take it.” Lyn suggested.

Cunningham nodded at that, knowing that besides money, there was the possibility The Stampede would move their operations to the west coast, which meant competition between them and Gray Wolf. And with things tied up with “Pirate Queen” Porsche… “Vale, I…” he looked over only to see Vale Hunter was no longer standing there.

”What the-? HEY!” Friedrich heard one of the techs call up from the mobile suit, and he looked up to see cables being tossed from the cockpit and the door shutting soon after. Oh no.

In the cockpit, Vale Hunter immediately set to work at getting his mobile suit online. "Initiating sequence protocol 23-A. Non-manual start-up sequence requested....accepted. Allowing basis protocol to be set to Level 1....unlocking," he muttered to himself, going through the information he managed to read off the technical manual Isamu had brought up. The `techno babble' that he wasn't supposed to understand.
 
"Password: 181-JR-9RAC, setting controls to basic mode," Vale continued muttering to himself, more and more technical like a Coordinator than the Natural he was supposed to be. The monitors glowed to life and all the lights and indicators on the console switched on. "ZGMF-X23K Saviour Kai, online and ready to launch." He said smugly. Upon his saying that, the OS started up with the Gray Wolf logo in place, which was a wolf head over a blue upside down triangle with five stars above it along with the other details, followed by the acronym “Generation Unrestricted Network Drive Assault Module”.

Outside, everyone in the harbor turned to see the Saviour Kai's eyes flash green, and its gunmetal grey armor turn into a royal purple and black shade, with the faceplate white and golden details around the overall frame.
 
It took Friedrich Cunningham a moment to remember that was Vale's ace colors. He reached down to his waist and grabbed the walkie-talkie attached to his belt, putting it next to his face. “Vale, what the hell are you doing!?”

”You wanted to test this baby out, right?” Vale chimed over the Saviour's loudspeaker rather than through the radio, “It seems God answered your prayers on that one! I'm heading out!”

”We don't know what that thing is capable of! It could level the town with The Stampede! And we almost ready to evacuate…” Friedrich said, “Vale!”

Before he could go on anymore, Lyn swiped the walkie-talkie from Friedrich, “Lupus One, it's Lyn. Your targets are going to be using a mixture of ZAFT and EAF designs, mostly ZAKUs and Dagger types. Be on the look out for anything gaudy like a command fin; their leaders will be worth more than the average grunts.”

”Roger Lyn.” Vale said over the radio this time.

”Lyn!” Friedrich began to complain.

”I'm with Vale on this one Captain, this is a perfect opportunity to test that new suit and get some money on the side.” She said. Of course, that was only half the truth. The other half was she saw how fast Vale jumped into that Gundam, and she knew the Gray Wolf ace had found his next mobile suit. For the past day or so, Vale hadn't exactly been moping around Catalina, but he didn't seem to be at his best either. It was like something dear to him had died off, being out of the cockpit, and Lyn, who was a mobile suit pilot herself, knew very well how that felt. She didn't care if it was mysterious and had a conspiracy to it, if this Gundam was Vale's key to getting back in the game, then she wouldn't stand in his way.

Friedrich, seeing this as well, groaned too. I'm getting too old for this shit. He took back the walkie-talkie and spoke again. “Alright Lupus One, you have your objective. Carry them out and come back with that thing in one piece.”

Vale smiled smugly, “Don't worry Freddy, I promise not to damage the family car too badly.” He replied as he typed in his personal launch code. Just above him, a series of hatchways opened up to reveal a launch tunnel to the outside. He `revved' his thrusters twice. “Vale Hunter! Saviour, heading out!” he announced, then put his Gundam into full throttle.

Back verniers, and wing and tail binders lighting up, the Saviour took off through the tunnel and into the night. Once it reached the surface, Vale transformed the Gundam into its flight mode and sped off inland. His destination: Tyson Bay, California…
 
-------------------------------
 
Transforming back into mobile suit mode, Vale landed Saviour at the west end of the town, just in its harbor area. The Gundam's head slowly turned, taking in images of the flaming buildings and destroyed mobile suits. “Shit, did I miss the party?” Vale asked as he looked at the images, a little disappointed but not put down yet. As if asking for someone to ambush it, Saviour Kai slowly walked down the street toward a town square, its head moving around, weary of anything moving. Before he made it though, he came across two rather peculiar items.

Two Strike Daggers, destroyed in combat. However, it was the way they were destroyed that caught Vale's attention. One had been broken in half along the torso, a mess of blood coming out of both ends, signifying that the pilot had been broken with his mobile suit. The second was on a pile of crates, missing its head and its cockpit squashed by a heavy object. It too had blood leaking out from the cockpit edges, with its pilot having been crushed. Neither remains had any burns on them, and there were no clean cuts, which meant weapons were not used against these mobile suits. No, these schädlinge were ripped apart by another mobile suit? But what kind of unit has that power…?

Before he thought any further, his proximity sensors went off. “Oh joy…” he smiled happily. Casually taking one step back, Vale watched as a projectile shot past his torso, only meters away from his cockpit. The projectile flew without guidance into an old fishing barge, blowing the poor vessel and its contents into debris.
Vale only had one train of thought. Okay, which one? Stampede or Dogg gang?

”Da-AM! Busta
' saw it comin', yo!”

It might've been from the water raining down, but what appeared to be a sweatdrop formed on the back of Saviour's head. “Madd Dogg.” Vale sighed. He looked over to see who his would be attackers were.

There were three of them, two Strike Daggers and oddly enough an A1 Dagger with a Launcher Striker assembly, which explained where the blast came from. They were all decked out in spray painted `gang marks' over their faded EAF colors, and Vale noted that the Launcher Dagger had `Madd Dogg' written over its torso. His grin returned,
Big man himself…

”Well well, holmies, what do we hav' `ere?” the Launcher Dagger pilot, Madd Dogg himself, spoke as his mobile suit paced closer to the Saviour Kai. “Some rich white cracka' boy'z come out to party. Look at them `fancy' treads and gold colorin'.” The Dagger pointed at the gold V-fin.

”You think he's wit' da Stampede, Dogg?” one of the Strike Dagger pilots asked.

”Nah, thought he was at first, but he moves faster than any o' Tomz' boys. Just some cracka' lookin' for fun.” Madd Dogg stated.
The Launcher Dagger's head looked over at the Saviour Kai's, eye-to-eye. “Whatchu' doin here, cracka?”

”'Looking for fun'.” Vale said snidely, “But it seems there aren't any worthwhile opponents here, just some would-be gangsters in outdated mobile suits…”

One of the Strike Daggers lowered its beam rifle at Vale, “What waz that?”

”You heard me, `holmes', I was here to fight The Stampede, but it looks like
somebody else took care of them. And you know how that makes me feel?” Vale explained.

”Like I give a fuck, cracka?” Madd Dogg quipped. The Strike Dagger pilots force laughed at their boss' response.

”Rather upset I'm afraid.” Vale said, his tone becoming more sinister, “Whoever took down Tommy Bones and his group cost me and my organization a lot of money and time. The EAF had a reward out for these bunch, but now that they're dead…” the Saviour's Gundam's eyes flared, “I guess I'll make it worth while and kill you three instead.”

All three Dagger pilots busted up in laughter at Vale's explanation, the laughter carrying on for a good few minutes while Vale stood there waiting. After sometime, Madd Dogg and one of the Strike Dagger pilots stopped, but the third guy was still laughing, almost at a hysterical level. Vale was wondering if he had a sudden insanity attack, after all, this place was a lot to take in people who weren't used to it…

”Yo, Loc!” Dogg called out, stopping Loc mad laughter, “You can stop laughin'. Chill foo'.”

”Sorry Dogg, I'm chillin'.” `Loc' replied, somewhat embarrassed.

Dogg sighed, “Sorry `bout that, he's my girlfriend's
brother.” Dogg explained. “But can ya blame him? It's pretty funny to hear a threat like that, when a cracka is outnumba'ed three to one.

”I'm sure it is, vermin.”

”What did
j'u call me?”

”Now you're wasting even more of my time.” Vale stated, “So if
any of you would step up…”

”Much obliged, cracka boy.” Loc said, drawing a beam saber. “This one goes to all my holmies out there…” And with a battle cry, Loc's Strike Dagger charged at the Saviour Gundam like a samurai warrior, with its beam saber to its side. Upon reaching the purple mobile suit, Loc reached up for an overhead strike to chop the Gundam in half along the torso. “HAAAAAAA…!!”

Only, the saber never landed. “What da hell?” Just before it even touch the head camera, the tip barely centimeters from the sensor fin, the Saviour Kai's right arm stretched out and grabbed hold of the Strike Dagger's clenched hands around its saber hilt. The Strike Dagger struggled for a moment, but it could bring the blade any closer, neither could it release itself from the Gundam's grip.

”Loc, what the fuck are you doin'?” Madd Dogg demanded.

”He's cheatin'!” Loc cried, “Stopped me in mid swing…”

Vale didn't speak any
words, he just had a diabolical grin on his face. With his quickness, he had the Saviour step around the Strike Dagger and arch its arms backward, too fast for Loc to struggle. The Strike Dagger's arms were pulled back over its head, beam saber still in their grasp. Loc never knew what hit him when his own beam saber blade came through the back of his own mobile suit, vaporizing him and the cockpit.

”Holy SNAP!” Madd Dogg let out, jaws dropped to the floor. The asshole just made Loc stab himself in the back!

But it didn't end there. Making the arms go up further, Vale made the saber cut into the Dagger's battery reactor, making detonation imminent. He knew he had seconds, but that's what he intended. With a push, he shoved Loc's Strike Dagger
into the second Strike Dagger, which pushed the beam saber further into the battery.

“SHIT!” Madd Dogg cried, as he jumped away. The Strike Dagger's reactor went critical, and it was enveloped in a great white explosion, taking the second unit and almost the entire harbor with it.

The Launcher Dagger landed safely, but Madd Dogg was in hysterics. Two of his holmies, that he knew since he was a kid, had just died in front of him, at the same time! He knew due to his job, people would end up dead, but the guy that did this… He made it seem like they were pushovers, like their lives meant shit!

”Damn YOU!!” Madd Dogg roared in fury as he saw the Saviour Gundam float over the smoke to another area. He leveled his Dagger's “Agni” 320mm hyper impulse cannon and let off a pair of shots. However, neither hit their mark, as the Gundam suddenly took off into the air and side-slipped to the right, letting the shots pass effortlessly. It then flew faster than Madd Dogg's eyes could track and punched his Launcher Dagger in the head, smashing the camera and the CIWS that were in there, as well as causing it to fly into a building across the street.

Vale didn't know if Madd Dogg had survived that, but he figured it wouldn't matter since he was going to strike the cockpit next anyway. He brought his right arm up to draw the left beam saber...

But the proximity alarm went off again. “Now what?” Vale let out as he `jumped' into the air to avoid a barrage of gatling fire. He bolted backwards and zig-zagged past the incoming rounds. This time,
his opponent had some skill.

“I HAD ENOUGH OF YOU STAMPEDE NUTS! WITH JUSTICE BY MY SIDE, I WILL SLAY YOU!!!” came the roar of the enemy pilot over the gatling gun fire.

“What the-? A Raysta?” Vale let out when he targeted the source of the fire. Granted it wasn't an ordinary Raysta, in fact, it looked a lot like Yoon Sefan's unit with the utility pack, pods on its legs and hips, the CIWS pods over its head (with the sensor fins) and the gatling gun. How this guy got the Raysta was beyond Vale, since the Junk Guild didn't allow any of their leased mobile suits to be modified for combat. But that was little concern to Vale.

Reversing his direction, he transformed and shot up into the sky. The enemy Raysta still continued to fire at him, but Vale almost effortlessly swayed around the bullets, easily tracking their flight paths from the stream of tracers. This guy was going to regret having gained Vale's full attention…
-------------------------------
 
”Go down already!” Shuro Kensuya called out to the enemy mobile suit, as it flew further and further into the sky. He knew he couldn't keep the continual fire up forever, since he was already low on bullets, but he couldn't let this one live either! He just killed innocent… well, not really innocent, but he still killed people like they were insects! Thus, Shuro's conscious dictated that this guy was a villain, and that all villains should be brought to Great Justiceâ„¢!

Fortunately for Shuro, it seemed he would get his way, as now the enemy unit was on top of him. It then transformed and cut its thrusters, letting the gravity draw it downward. “Oh sure, like I haven't seen that before!” Shuro called out as he made the Raysta jump back. The enemy mobile suit landed with a loud thud, its feet making deep imprints into the street.

But it does make it perfect…Shuro thought as he looked at his surroundings for a moment before he landed. The burning buildings, the destroyed mobile suits, the stench of death in the air. This was the perfect setting to have battle with the final boss, the obvious leader of The Stampede. His opponent had to be the leader, because the leader always had great strength to him and a deadly weapon of some kind. Haikaider, Darth Vader, Agent Smith, Sauron, Sephiroth, Hellmaster Filbrizo, Nohman, Vicious, Darcia, Gaulin… They all had super powers and skills well beyond any human, and they chose to use them for evil. So what made this guy any different?

As he landed back, he drew his trusted double-edged beam saber, the weapon his Grandfather based on the ORB-01 Akatsuki's sword, and put his thrusters into full burn. This made the Raysta shoot at the enemy mobile suit, getting close to it before it could dodge. Shuro slashed and lunged at his enemy with the finesse of a samurai, but for some reason none of his cuts landed. The mobile suit simply dodged each blow, albeit with a fair amount of effort, parrying slash after slash.

Upon the last slash, the enemy suit actually blocked and threw Shuro off, then kicked the Raysta in the torso. Shuro stumbled backwards, but the enemy wasn't done yet. It jumped at Shuro and grabbed his mobile suit by the `neck' with one hand, and ripping away the double beam saber with the other. Shuro struggled to get his mobile suit released from his adversary's grip; until his enemy did something he didn't expect it too.

Despite the heavy weight added by the Shur-o-matic pack and the other additions, the enemy suit actually lifted the Raysta off the ground! It turned to its side and lifted the helpless Raysta above its head so that Shuro couldn't get a clear shot with the “Todesschrecken” pods.

”No…” but what threw Shuro off the most was his getting a good look at his enemy's face. Looking `down' at the enemy suit, he saw the familiar human shaped faceplate and twin eye cameras, crowned with a golden V-fin and sensor fin at the top. It didn't take him long to compare the suit with that other guy's. “GUNDAM!!?!” he just about cried. He recognized this mobile suit, just like he recognized that one black model. A Gundam, champion of justice and protector of the innocent. But here it was standing before him, ready to kill him. How could it be possible? How could a Gundam, a champion of justice, be a villain!?

He never got to answer that question, as another mobile suit intervened. It was the black Gundam, the one that helped him before. It charged in with a beam saber drawn, ready to slash the enemy suit's arm off. But just before the cut could land, the purple Gundam let go of the Raysta and jetted back.

Hoooooolyyyyyy…” Shuro let out, shook up from this ordeal with cold shock. “…A Gundam! It's another Gundam, Ralma!”

”Shuro, get out of here now!” the Gaia pilot ordered, as he had Gaia take up a combat pose. Vale wasn't sure why he overheard the conversation, since the channel it was on was supposed to be a private line, but he assumed it was due to his proximity.

”What? But I wanna see-”

”Your suit is in no condition to fight. Leave this guy to me and return to the ship.” The Gaia pilot ordered again.

Shuro sighed. “How noble of you...” he said, slightly teasing. “Fine, but just make sure to pull through, okay?”

I'm a reliable customer, if I say so myself.” Ralma replied, smirking a little, I'll be back in no time.” Upon his saying that, Gaia drew both beam sabers.

This made Vale smirk.
Indeed, how noble of you. Perhaps you'll be more worthwhile than who I originally came to fight… He then had the Saviour draw its own beam saber and prepare to attack…
 
-------------------------------
 
It had been a good couple of moments now, and neither Gaia Kai nor Saviour Kai had moved an inch. They just stood there, beam sabers lit and ready to attack, but otherwise not moving. Despite the fact neither of them had encountered each other, both Vale and the enemy pilot felt a certain tension, the kind that life long enemies felt when meeting each other after some amount of time. It was a strange phenomenon that someone probably could explain, but not at this time. Thus, both stood, waiting for the other to strike first.

Alright, I'll do it. Vale thought, as he kicked on the thrust for a dash attack. The enemy pilot had the Gaia Kai jump into the air to dodge a dash strike from the Saviour Kai. The purple Gundam also jumped up, and both mobile suits' swords clashed against each other. A series of parries and slashes soon followed, until the Saviour Kai barely managed to knock Gaia away with a kick.

Was hoping to save this, but I guess I can pull a few tricks out of my sleeve for you, pal.” The enemy pilot commented. The Gaia pilot withdrew his beam saber then flipped and transformed the suit into its infamous quadruped mode. Upon landing on all fours, he angled the twin beam cannons on Gaia Kai's back and fired at the Saviour Kai.

However, Vale saw the attack and banked to the left, also following the Gaia pilot and transforming his suit into flight mode. He countered Gaia Kai's attack with his `Picus' machine guns, which laced fire down the street and forced Gaia to jump away. “Not bad. You're faster than I thought.” Vale complimented to the black Gundam, albeit not over a comlink. He watched as the Gaia Gundam ran down the main street, dodging a combination of `Picus' fire and shots from the twin `Hyper Fortis' beam cannons in the Saviour Kai's nacelles. It jumped back and forth on its run, giving the suit the image of a giant black, mechanical jungle cat. In response, the Saviour pulled up and gained altitude.

The Gaia pilot noticed and laughed. He stopped Gaia in its run for a moment to look up with its second head at the climbing Saviour. “Idiot! You'll be out of range at that altitude…” Then he saw the glowing tips on the nacelles. “Ah crap!” the enemy pilot realized, and jumped away before the twin streams of plasma shot into where he was. He forgot the original Saviour Gundam had those two `Amfortas' plasma cannons, and this one was no exception to the rule. It continued to barrage him from high altitude with plasma shots, and the Gaia pilot knew in that if he remained on the ground he'd only give Saviour the advantage. He had Gaia U-turn, then run and bounce off the side of a building. He then engaged the wing fin thrusters on Gaia's back and took off to meet the Saviour, “Griffon 2” beam blades active.

The move made Vale arch an eyebrow. Where have I seen that technique before? He wondered, feeling a sense of familiarity. Either way, he retaliated with a dive and activated his own “Griffon 2” wing blades, which he had found while skimming through the Saviour Kai's weapons specs. Both Gundams slammed into each other head on, beam blades ricocheting off each other and forcing the Saviour Kai up and the Gaia Kai back down. But the Gaia Kai recovered and transformed into its MS mode, putting its thrusters into full burn and gaining altitude itself. A quick beam saber slash cut across the Saviour Kai's exposed underbelly, but it wasn't enough to do anymore than make a scar across the upper torso.

Still, the move had surprised Vale, since he hadn't expected the Gaia Kai to gain altitude like that. He forced the Saviour Kai into a Split-S that made it fly back at the Gaia, firing the Hyper Fortis again. The enemy pilot had the Gaia Kai drop under the Hyper Fortis shots and counter with the mobile suits own shoulder cannons while landing safely on the ground again. A beam bolt claimed one of the Saviour Kai's beam rifles, turning it into molten slag. “Damn! You shall pay for that…” Vale growled, jettisoning the scrapped beam rifle off the Saviour Kai's left side. The Saviour Kai dipped into a dive and swooped and ground level, catching the Gaia Gundam between its `Amfortas' nacelles, and then firing the `Picus' machine guns point blank into Gaia's torso.

Warning alarms and red lights blared around the enemy pilot as he took 76mm rounds into the cockpit area. He countered by arcing the Gaia's shoulder cannons to get a point blank shot of his own at the Saviour's second “head”. But, the enemy pilot saw the attack coming and reversed his or her thrust before either cannons fired, hitting the ground between the two Gundams. The purple mobile suit transformed back into its own MS mode and again shot after the Gaia, drawing a beam saber. This guy loves his speed. The Gaia pilot observed as he drew his own beam saber to parry the blow. The Saviour didn't let up and slashed and hacked at the Gaia, keeping it in a defensive position, until finally striking blood. The purple MS spun in midair and drew its opposite beam saber, making a cross strike with the two blades before deactivating the second saber and withdrawing it into the left shoulder port. Now Gaia had a nice `X'-shaped slash on its upper torso, much like the slash it gave to the Saviour.

”Paid back in double.” Vale chimed.
 
“You son of a bitch…” the Gaia pilot snarled as he counterattacked.

Another sword fight ensured, and the Gundams continued their little dance amidst the flaming ruins of a once peaceful town. At the side, Shuro gaped watching the two Gundams go at it, barely managing to keep track of their movements. Just who the hell is that guy in the purple one? Not just him, what's with this Ralma guy!? It's like watching samurai fighting each other! His mind called out.

The Raysta pilot wondered if he could somehow nab a shot at the Saviour Kai, but after looking over his weapons monitor he quickly changed his mind. Four rounds left in the gatling gun, missile pods drained, twin beam saber out of reach and the `Todesschrecken' would be ineffective. And besides, if he intervened, he'd probably just piss the guy in the Gaia Kai off while the Saviour Kai shot him to keep him from attacking again. After all, villains had no qualms shooting just for kicks. “So be it then. Justice will just have to be served by the black mobile suit and its pilot. Godspeed, Ralma-san.” Shuro said proudly, continuing to watch.
-------------------------------
 
The world came to a jarring crash for Ralma Adlai Ridoa as the Gaia Gundam slammed shoulder-first into the ground, exacting a grimace from its pilot's face and a snarl from his lips. The Saviour Gundam had taken to the air again and had laid down a barrage from its 20mm CIWS as well as those damned `Hyper Fortis' cannons and remaining beam rifle. Acting fast, Ralma had the Gaia Kai roll over, draw its beam rifle and fire shots to throw the Saviour Gundam off of its aerial course. Instinctively, he had the Gaia leap back up from the ground, and much to his surprise, the maneuver caused the dormant body of Kanna Yoshikana to flop up in the air and into his lap.

How can she sleep through all of this? Ralma thought as he felt his face flush into a crimson red. Without thinking, he made a flying leap over a set of burning buildings, in hopes that the intense heat and light would confuse the Saviour's sensors (assuming it wasn't using radar). With one hand clutching Gaia's control stick and the other clutching Kanna to his chest to keep her from flying around the cockpit, he shifted and continued to lay down beam fire up at the bird of prey like Gundam that flew above.

Again, Ralma found himself at disadvantage. Though the Gaia Gundam was an effective ground battle mobile suit that combined the versatility of a Gundam-type with the mobility of a BuCUE, it could only make long jumps into the air rather than fly outright. While it could jump higher and farther than the average mass production type, at least more so than Ralma's Wild Dagger, it didn't help much against a full-fledged flight type like the Saviour. To make matters worse, Ralma's medium and long-range weapons weren't effective enough to get a direct hit, not against something so agile. His only choice was to get in close and perform a beam saber attack, but how…

He wheeled Gaia about and dove into the ruins of a shopping center, having the Gundam `sit' back behind a wall and covering himself over with a piece of debris. That would buy him a little time to regroup.

Or so he thought. A stream of plasma incinerated the mall's ruins and forced Ralma to abandon his would-be hiding place. Debris from the impact rained down on his suit's armored back and shoulders, and the dust cloud was quite extensive. Ralma gasped as he kept moving again.

Damned `Amfortas' cannons. Why can't fast mobile suits like that be lightly armed like the DINN is…? Ralma complained, countering with his beam rifle.

”Onii… san…?” Ralma heard. He looked down to see Kanna's eyes slowly flutter open a little, speaking tiredly. “What's going on…?”

”You're awake I see.” Ralma said offhandedly, too busy dodging more beam rifle fire.

Another stream of plasma smashed into the building next to the Gaia, apparently hitting an ancient gas line somewhere because it exploded. Quickly, Ralma stuck the head of the
Gaia Kai upward and fire a barrage of 20mm gun fire. As expected, the purple mobile suit simply increased altitude and fired back. “This is getting frustrating! It's like that bastard is using `cheat codes' or something!”

Cheat codes'?” Kanna looked confused at first. Then, after a moment, it seemed like she went into a trance again, as she slowly folded down Gaia's keyboard. At first, Ralma wanted to protest, but he remembered the last time this happened, she managed to get the Gundam to turn on, so whatever she was doing now had to be to their benefit. “Situational analysis of combat thus far calls for change of structure configuration. Vernier control, online. Configuring all thruster and apogee motors to full thrust capacity…”

On the technical display, Ralma saw Gaia's back thruster fins fold up and down as they were being adjusted.
“Maneuvering systems set to automatic control. Gyroscopic ratio now set to 3.50. Full flight mode now in operation. Pilot adaptability increase estimated at 45.7 percent...” Kanna spoke, just before she went limp again, her head leaning back against Ralma's chest.

At first, Ralma was confused with what just happened, but at that moment, the Gaia Kai leapt into the air and ignited its back thruster fins. Ralma's head slammed into the back of his seat as he felt the Gundam propel itself further into the sky without dropping in its course. He didn't know what Kanna did, but he saw that he was going up to meet his target. The purple Saviour Gundam Kai. “Got you!” Ralma roared as he stowed the beam rifle and drew the `Vajra' beam saber.
-------------------------------
 
Vale's eyes widened in surprise, “What the hell-?” He avoided the initial slash by ascending further into the sky. At first, he thought the Gaia Gundam would simply drop back to the Earth below, but then he realized that it was actually climbing up to meet him. “This one can fly?” he gaped. This changed everything, because up to now, he had been playing on the Gaia Gundam's inability to maintain full flight. Now though, his opponent was on equal ground with him.

And there's the possibility of other things being different…

Like a dark angel, the black, yellow and red Gaia Kai rocketed up with its beam saber in toll, heading to make a slash that would divide the Saviour in half. Vale kicked his own thrusters on, blasting his Saviour Gundam back and away from the strike area of the other mobile suit, trying to keep a margin of air between the two Gundams. The aggressor Gundam's beam saber slashed air, and then drew its second beam saber with its left hand and holding that saber in a reverse grip. Vale could tell by how stylish the Gundam spun its saber into a reverse grip that its pilot was a melee specialist, and that he'd more than likely lose in a close combat battle.

As his mobile suit flew backwards, the large cannon nacelles swung over Saviour's shoulders and let off a combination burst of plasma from the `Amfortas' and beams from the `Hyper Fortis'. The Gaia spun to the side and then spun to make an overhead slash. Only the timed draw of the Saviour Kai's left beam saber saved Vale from losing his main camera and CIWS, but Vale wasn't fast enough to block the three-slash combo that followed, which made two more scars on his chest plate and another on the left shoulder.

“Not such a badass now, are you? Now that I can fight on equal level, you lost your entire edge?” taunted the enemy pilot, his voice ringing out on the loudspeaker instead of the radio.

”Think what you will, épéiste, but I'm not dead yet!” replied Vale, thankful his face could not be seen by the other pilot. This was the first time in a while he had been pushed this far, then again, he hadn't seen an opponent of this caliber since…

His bones were aching from the strain of combat, and his skull was pounding as his mind tried desperately to keep up with all the activity around him. With all the effort he could muster, Vale threw the Gaia Kai's beam sabers off, and then attempted to fly back again. However, the Gaia Kai increased its thrust and slammed into the Saviour and tackled it. It then ignited the full power of its thrusters and forced the two mobile suits into a drop that slammed either into a building below.

While the Saviour's phase-shift armor absorbed the impact, it didn't change the fact that it was laying on its back in a crater with the Gaia Gundam standing on top of it. The enemy pilot laughed at the position, the loudspeaker making his voice sound more menacing. It trained one of its beam saber blades over the Saviour's cockpit. “I'd say you're dead now, chumly. You were good, but not good enough to beat this `nobody'.”

“Is that all you have to say?” Vale quipped.

”What?” the enemy pilot replied, confused.

Vale smirked, “One should choose his last words more carefully.”

Using the last quip to by himself time, Vale reignited his thrusters and slid out from under Gaia's foot. Staying on the enemy suit's left, it redrew its beam rifle and fired a shot square into the Gaia's chestplate, then another burst into the cockpit block. Although Gaia's phase-shift armor kept the beam from entering the enemy cockpit and killing the pilot, the black Gundam still rocked back from the impact, thus allowing Saviour to take to the air again.

In the cockpit of Gaia, the enemy pilot gaped at what he saw before him. He realized he had seen a move like that done before. It can't be… The Gaia cut on the speed, transformed and leapt in the air, closing the distance between it and its brother Gundam faster than Vale could bring any of his weapons around to engage him.

Vale's eyes widened when he saw the Gaia leap and transform back into an MS while drawing its beam saber. No way… Quickly, Saviour's right hand snagged one of the `Vajra' beam saber and drew it, barely managing to parry Gaia's. The clashing of the two magenta sabers blinded each pilot for a moment, as lightning cackled and snapped. Both mobile suits were putting their full power to bear now, trying to overpower each other in the standoff. “It's you!” both let out simultaneously amidst the flashing of the sabers. To either of them, it was the same guy from before, during a fight over Porsche's recently captured freighter convoy…

*beep beep beep* Vale broke off the standoff by making Saviour jet back and slashed the saber to its side. The enemy Gaia did the same, but taking a kenjutsu stance. Before the next blow would come, Vale checked the comlink. “Lupus Four to Lupus One, report!”

”This is Lupus One. What's up?” Vale asked offhandedly, putting more attention the wait for the next attack. He didn't know it, but he was panting.

”We're having a serious problem…” Lyn continued after being interrupted by an explosion. This caught more of Vale's attention. “We've completed evacuation, but we're being hounded by an enemy attack force! We're need of support, so rendezvous with us at following coordinates. Lupus Four out.”

After the message ended, a map of the Southwestern Atlantic coastline appeared on Vale's right hand side, with a flashing Gray Wolf insignia designating the rendezvous area. It was just off of Baja California, which indicated Cunningham (assuming he was sober) would go inland on the Mexico region of Atlantic territory and probably head South to the United States of South America, which thanks to Edward's connection, was friendly to Gray Wolf.

Taking all this in, Vale looked over at Gaia and sighed disappointedly, “That was a lot of fun, but now I have somewhere to go…”

”Like hell you do!” the Gaia pilot yelled and charged like samurai. “Not letting you get away this time! There's no battleships here to save your ass this time!”

Vale barely had time to parry the blow, bringing his saber up and clashing, but he broke off from the clash. He then did a full spin, causing enough centrifugal force to knock Gaia beam saber arm way off to the right. Vale then spun his beam saber around and slammed the hilt tip into Gaia's upper torso, causing it to stumble back, thus giving Saviour room to take off again.

Before Vale could continue, the proximity alarm went off. Another pest…Quickly, he jetted into the air, spun again, this time withdrawing the beam saber into the appropriate shoulder rack and then drawing the beam rifle. The Saviour Kai then let off a quickdraw shot that blew off the enemy Raysta's head, before it could level its gatling gun on the Gundam as it intended. The Junk Guild-designed suit fell from the shock and landed on its backpack assembly, its pilot giving a shrill cry during the fall.

There was a long silence soon after. Both the hovering Saviour Gundam Kai and the still Gaia Gundam Kai gazed at each other, barely shifting. It had been an intense battle with no real victor, and both pilots were exhausted. The only sound that came from the cockpits was the sound of panting, both Vale Hunter and the Gaia pilot, Ralma Adlai Ridoa. Both pilots though, felt a degree of loathing toward each other, due to their previous engagement and all the trouble each caused for the other. There was also the adrenaline to consider.

Vale was the first to speak out, “You lucked out this time, but don't expect any interruptions later on. Until the next battle, Musashi.” He said bitterly. He then made the Saviour go into an aerial u-turn, transform midway and fly out to find the rendezvous point.

An Immelmann? “Whatever you say, pal.” Ralma muttered in a growl. He didn't need any rivals at the moment, but this guy still pissed him off.

Despite all that had happened in Tyson's Bay, neither Gundam pilot would ever realize that this was the changing point of all things. Nothing would ever be the same again…
-------------------------------
TO BE CONTINUED…
 
NOTE: I know this chapter seems a bit rushed, but this is only one side of the story. To understand the full story, refer to Cynical Swordmaster's Gundam SEED: Odyssey R and see his group's take on it.