Gundam SEED Fan Fiction ❯ Sojourn ❯ PHASE 01 A Chance at Life: Part One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: Mobile Suit: Gundam SEED Sojourn (1/?)
Author: Paola
Disclaimer: Mobile Suit: Gundam SEED Sojourn is based on characters and situations that belong to Sotsu Agency, Bandai Studios, and TV Asashi (and other production affiliates that have the right of ownership). No money is being made, and no copyright or trademark infringement is intended.
Considerations: Similarities to other stories/events/passages are purely coincidental unless otherwise cited.

“There’s too much said for the
sake of argument and too little
said for the sake of agreement.”
- Cullen Hightower

PHASE 01
A Chance at Life: Part One

Kira slowly opened his eyes, adjusting to the light around him. For a few moments, he wondered where he was, and when his mind came up blank, he settled for trying to get up instead. He groaned when he used his hands to support his upper weight---he must’ve slept on his right arm for it was feeling all tingly. Groaning at the shaky feeling in his arm, he sighed when he managed to sit himself up, and when he was about to swing his legs off the mattress, a familiar face poked inside his door.
“Oh, hey, Kira. You’re awake.”
Kira smiled weakly. “Yeah.” He looked around again. “Say, Cagalli, where am I?”
Cagalli floated towards him, eyeing his movements. “You shouldn’t be getting up. The medic says you need to rest.” She gently pushed Kira back to bed, and he complied. Pulling the covers up to his chest, she answered his question. “You’re in one of the private rooms of the Kusanagi’s sick bay.”
Although Kira was stationed at the Archangel or at the Eternal, he had to be brought in by the Strike Rouge, and since the Strike Rouge was originally docked at the Kusanagi, Cagalli automatically went for the ship of Orb.
“How are you feeling?”
“I’m feeling fine, I guess. No broken bones.”
Cagalli was surprised to feel tears welling up in her eyes, and, as if to assure herself that Kira was indeed all right, she threw herself at him in an overwhelming embrace. “Kira! You’re all right. We were so worried because you just collapsed when we docked!”
Kira caught her, and reflex made his arms return the embrace. “I’m all right, Cagalli,” he said in that comforting way of his. Then, remembering that Athrun had been with her when she found him, he asked, “By the way, where’s Athrun?”
Cagalli stood up and sniffed, wiping her cheeks dry. Then in a very un-ladylike fashion, she snorted. “The idiot’s in the opposite room.”
Kira raised his eyebrows, surprised at hearing his sister call his best friend an idiot; he had the impression that she was quite fond of the blue-haired Coordinator. “I didn’t think he was badly injured.”
“Oh, he wasn’t all right, but he almost did when he decided to self-destruct the Justice to destroy the Genesis. So I insisted he stay there as punishment for his stupid idea.” She moved the armchair beside his bed so it would face him then settled on it. “Good thing I followed him, or else he’d have been blown to smithereens!”
The Freedom pilot laughed at her explanation, and seeing him laugh, Cagalli broke into a wide grin.
When Cagalli uncharacteristically became quiet, he turned towards her with a worried look on his face. “Anything the matter, Cagalli?”
It took a moment of silence before she replied. “Kira,” she hesitated. She looked at him and saw that he was willing to listen to whatever she was going to say. She tried again, “Kira, now that we have time to talk about it, I want to know…where did you get that same picture my father gave me? I thought you didn’t know we were siblings.”
Kira diverted his eyes away from her. “Oh, that…”
Cagalli kept quiet as she figured Kira was probably trying to formulate coherent thoughts about their topic.
“I…didn’t know that we were related,” he followed up. “Remember when I followed the Strike and the Buster farther inside the colony back when we first had contact with the Dominion?” he asked, to which she nodded. “I got in a situation with Le Creuset.” He unconsciously seized the sheets. “He told Mwu and I…he told Mwu and I…a lot of things.”
Cagalli was curious of how their conversation transpired, but seeing Kira being pained by the memories, she decided she wouldn’t pry if he didn’t want to tell her. It was all up to him whether he would divulge it or not.
He released his grip when he noticed what he was doing. “Anyway…” he unconsciously took a deep breath, as if he had run out of air. “To cut the long story short, he threw me that picture. Le Creuset…he gave it to me.”
“Oh…is that so…” The Orb princess let her words hang in the air. She eyed her brother worriedly then stood up and gave him another hug. “I doubt he gave it to you just because he felt charitable, but it’s all over now. Whatever he told you, it doesn’t matter now…because you’ve got me, Kira,” her voice broke, but this time, she kept her tears at bay.
Kira smiled and returned the hug, grateful for her concern. It wasn’t much, but this time around, the hug they were sharing was enough to seal their newfound familial bond. They might never find out why they were separated or why it had only been now that the secret was disclosed, but Kira didn’t care…because his sister was enough. “It doesn’t matter because I’ve got you, Cagalli.”
Cagalli pulled away, swiping at her eyes to rid it of excess moisture. Then she flashed him a re-assuring smile. “Yep, because your big sister will take care of you!”
Kira found himself laughing again. “How are you so sure that I’m not older?”
Cagalli pouted in mock anger and rested her hands on her hips. “Because,” she answered, as though that efficiently explained how she knew she was the older twin. Then she scrunched up her nose as if in thought. “It’s uncanny how you and Athrun always say the same thing.”
“What do you mean?” He yawned.
“Remember the first time we met at Heliopolis? You were like ‘You’re a girl?!’” she glared at him, and he tried to laugh it off. “He said the same thing. Then he said something along the lines of you always being the same since your were kids. Then you said the same thing about him having been always like that. Then he asked me how I knew that I’m older, then you asked the same thing,” she explained in one breath, ticking the reasons off her fingers.
“Really? I guess we’re more similar than I thought.” He yawned again.
Cagalli smirked at him. “Then I don’t know who got unlucky, you or him,” she teased.
“Hey!” that came out weaker than Kira intended. He yawned once more.
“You’ve been yawning a lot.” Her face softened. “I better let you rest. I’ll just go see how Athrun’s doing.”
“Mm.”
Cagalli watched as Kira’s eyes fluttered to a close then she moved away, but before she could step out of his room, he spoke again, voice barely above whisper.
“How’s…how is everyone else? The Archangel?”
Cagalli took note of the flicker of sadness that grazed his otherwise groggy voice. She drifted back to his side. Pushing his bangs away from his eyes, she assured him, “They’re okay, Kira. The Archangel suffered a lot of blows, but they’re fixing everything already for our re-entry back to Earth.” She smiled, though he couldn’t see it for he had his eyes closed already. She squeezed his hand. “We’re going home, Kira.” Although Cagalli knew that Kira lived in a space colony before the war erupted, she had been informed that his parents were in Orb. And it wasn’t only about Kira; it was also about her. The Earth was her home, and Orb was her country.
“Home,” he whispered, fighting off sleep long enough to get out what he wanted to say. “Cagalli…please tell Murrue…I’ll be over there…right away…to report in…and…and be accounted for.”
Now that the name of the Archangel’s captain was brought up, Cagalli was saddened as she recalled what had happened to Commander La Flaga. She didn’t have the heart to tell him of Murrue’s loss. It had been painful for her when she found out, and knowing that Kira had somehow found a father figure in Mwu, it would indubitably hurt him more than it did her.
“Silly. They know you’re alive and that you’re here.”
“Then tell her…I’ll be there…to help with…other things.”
She wanted to tell him off and keep him resting, but Cagalli had long ago found out about Kira’s stubborn streak. Guess it runs in the family. “All right, but you gotta rest now or I’m gonna knock you unconscious.”
He peered at his sister through half-lidded eyes and grinned. “Okay, okay. And tell Athrun…I said hi.”
Cagalli was a little surprised at her own gentleness towards the fatigued Coordinator, but she shrugged it off. “I will,” she whispered.
This time, he succumbed to sleep.
o-o
Cagalli found him staring at the ceiling when she entered his room. “You look bored.”
Athrun continued to keep his eyes to where they where looking at as he answered, “Me? Oh no. The ceiling’s really interesting.”
The blonde caught up on his sarcasm and decided to play his game. Trying to be as nonchalant as she could, she countered, “Well, okay then. Suit yourself.” She was halfway out the door when she heard him call out.
“I’m kidding! Please stay.”
She smiled to herself then whirled around to face him, giving him a victorious smirk. “See, you shouldn’t start something you’re gonna lose at.”
He sat up and fixed her an inquiring stare. “Did you go see Kira? How is he?”
Hovering beside him, she answered, “Yeah. He’s fine. He woke up a while ago, but he returned to sleep already. Guess being a Coordinator doesn’t immune him from giving in to too much fatigue. It’s about time he rests.”
“Yeah.” Then he noticed it. “You’ve been crying?”
“Huh? Oh, no. I just got something in my eye a while ago.” It wasn’t a lie meant to deceive, and she was confident that he understood her.
He smiled, as if to say it was okay, and Cagalli knew that he did.
“And he said hi, by the way.” She gave his physical condition a cursory sweep, tilting her head to the side. “You seem fine---”
“I am. You just insisted that I stay here. I think you ‘re the one who needs to rest.”
She flicked him playfully on the forehead for cutting her off. “Oh no, I don’t. You must’ve have forgotten, I’m tougher than you.”
“Of course you are,” he drawled, rubbing the spot where her finger had hit.
“Don’t patronize me, Athrun Zala.”
His eyes widened in mock surprise. “I wouldn’t even think of doing that!”
She harrumphed and stood to her full height. “Anyway, as I was saying before you ever so kindly cut me off,” she stressed, making him chuckle, “I think the Archangel could use more help.”
“Yeah. I was thinking of the same thing. They have to return to Earth as soon as possible.”
Cagalli worried her bottom lip, remembering all the government affairs that needed to be settled when they got back to Earth, not to mention, the tense interim before new officials got elected. “Why can’t the war end without needing all this political crap after it’s over? You know, like magically returning to normal.”
Athrun understood her anxiety. Now that Chief Orb Representative Uzumi Nara Athha was gone, it was Cagalli’s responsibility to take care of things.
He gave her an encouraging smile. “Because it doesn’t work that way, and besides, I’m sure you can do it.”
She took a deep breath. “Yeah….”
“All right.” He began to stand up. “Let’s go?”
Cagalli nodded then headed towards the door. “Meet me at the hangar. I’ll just check up on Kisaka.” And with that she left.
o-o
The princess’ guardian was barking out orders on intercoms in between conferring with the Archangel’s captain when the bridge portal swished open to admit a troubled Cagalli. Her eyes scanned the otherwise empty bridge then flickered towards the video screen. She was rueful to see the grieved countenance and the bloodshot eyes of Murrue Ramius.
“Cagalli,” Kisaka acknowledged when she hovered beside him.
She nodded towards him then turned to Murrue. “I’m sorry about it, Murrue,” she spoke her condolence softly. “How are you holding up?”
She noticed the strained smile the captain gave her. “Thank you, Cagalli, and don’t worry about me, I’ll be fine.”
Cagalli bobbed her head in understanding and knew better than to pursue the sensitive topic.
“How are your supplies?” Kisaka inquired.
“They’re enough for now. I’ll contact you when we need more. Thanks.”
“All right.”
Then the screen went blank, but before Cagalli could revert her attention back to Kisaka, the screen came to life again and Lacus’ image made itself visible.
“Hey, Lacus!”
“Oh, hey, Cagalli! I just want to check if you need any mechanical or medical help.”
The Kusanagi had admitted some of the injured pilots of the EA fleet, and the Eternal accommodated ZAFT soldiers who had managed to survive. Though the war was over, they deemed it better to separate the Coordinators and the Naturals for the time being; after all, the soldiers they put on board had either been hard-core Coordinator zealots or steadfast Natural devotees. The Archangel was already short on medical staff so it didn’t take in other men than the ones originally stationed there.
“Medics will be great, thank you,” Kisaka replied.
Lacus smiled then her face became worried. “How is Kira? I want to go there and see him, but I have to take care of things here.”
Cagalli smiled “He’s okay, Lacus. He’s sleeping now. Don’t worry. He’ll be at the Archangel later, so maybe you can meet him there when you’re done.”
The Pink Princess beamed. “I’m relieved to hear that. I’ll drop by the Archangel after I attend to my responsibilities. I’ll send the medics right away.”
After the Orb princess thanked the pop singer, the screen blinked off.
Cagalli brought her gaze back to Kisaka. “How’s the Kusanagi doing?”
Kisaka vacated his seat and moved towards a set of consoles, beckoning for Cagalli to follow him. He punched in a few commands and the screen glowed to life, showing them the different sections of the ship that were damaged and currently being attended to. “The repairs are going along well. The artillery hatches can be patched up easily since we have no need of repairing the guns right now. The hatchways are being cleared of debris.”
“How about the power and pressure valves of the thrusters?”
“Our boosters and thrusters only acquired minimal damages so we won’t have problems with that.”
She stared at the screen for a second longer before looking back up at Kisaka. “All right. Athrun and I are going over to the Archangel and see what we can do to help. Kira might want to head there, too, when he wakes up, so take care of providing and assisting him to a shuttle.” She was about to move towards the metal doors but immediately paused when Kisaka spoke.
“Cagalli, don’t worry about what will happen when we reach Orb. You don’t have to take on your father’s duties immediately.” He gingerly placed a hand on her shoulder. Cagalli talked as if now was the only thing she was worried about, but even if she didn’t mention it, Kisaka could sense her anxiety.
She stiffened. Her frame of mind changed from one to another in the very little amount of time it took her to respond. “No!” she shrugged his hand away. “I will take it. There’s nobody else I trust enough to take over the position. I want Orb back to the way it was as soon as possible. It’s good that Morgenroete is being fixed as we speak, but the re-construction of Kaguya and Onogoro should be well underway right after I attend to certain public affairs.”
“The Interim Council can take care of that. It can give you at least five months of preparation and rest,” his tone sounded dismissive, as if to say that that was final. He turned away from her to return to his post.
Listen to me, Kisaka!” she half shouted, irritated at her guardian’s actions. “I don’t care about the Council! They wouldn’t be needed if I get seated as the new Chief Representative as soon as we get there! We don’t need an elaborate ceremony, and I’ll even take care of the paperwork!”
“Cagalli!” Kisaka raised his voice, just like the many times he had scolded the princess, as if she were his own child. “It wouldn’t do any good if you rush things, and you, of all people, should know that.”
Cagalli bristled. “I am not rushing anything, Kisaka. I am just taking my rightful place as the heiress of late Lord Uzumi!”
“Listen to yourself!” Kisaka brandished his hand towards her, noting how she had called her father. “You haven’t even coped with the death of your father, and you’re already thinking of taking up his position! What gave you the idea that it’s as easy as that?”
How dare he! How dare he say that to my face!
Clenching her fist, Cagalli growled. She was livid. “I have cried over him and have been saddened by his death,” her voice was steadily getting louder as her anger was getting the better of her, “but what can I do about that? Nothing! He died because he was stupid enough to die in that freakin’ manner! And don’t ever tell me that I haven’t accepted it yet just because I’m already talking about replacing him!
SLAP!
Cagalli’s head swung at the force of the slap that left her cheek stinging. Her hand flew to her sore cheek, and her face had never registered so much shock until now. Her eyes darted towards the stern and resolute face of Kisaka, her mouth working but no sound was coming out of it. She felt her eyes burn as she tried to keep the tears pooling in them from falling.
Cagalli bit back the urge to cry, just as she allowed herself to be as furious as she now. She was seething with so much indignation at his action that it was oozing off her in waves. She glared at him hatefully, but before she could get a word in edgewise, he beat her to it.
“You’ve gone really far this time, Cagalli. I may just be your guardian, but I will not have you talk of your father that way! He deserves respect especially from his own daughter!” he chastised her.
“Then just step aside and let me do my freakin’ job!”
“How can you expect to be a great ruler of Orb if you don’t even know when to take a beneficial opportunity that is presented to you? You’ve been given a great option that you can take without the worry that it would hurt anyone. You don’t even have to start where your father left off right now! The only time you will be mandatorily asked to be Orb’s representative is when you’re of legal age,” his voice was slowly, but surely, returning to its normal pitch. “You’re only a child, so why not take it? No one is forcing you to grow up quickly.”
Cagalli gritted her teeth but said no more as all her arguments were beginning to sound irrational compared to his reasoning.
o-o
Lacus sat alone in the bridge as she conferred with a ZAFT officer. “It would be more complicated if I bring the ZAFT soldiers I boarded on Earth.”
“Of course. I will arrange for a ship to retrieve our men as soon as we can,” the unmistakable hard and authoritative voice of Ezalia Jule was heard in the entire bridge.
Although the Earth Forces had gone off to arrest all those with Patrick Zala, Ezalia still had diplomatic immunity, so she was going to be kept in the council until proper trials had commenced.
“Thank you. The Archangel and the Kusanagi are needed to return to Earth ASAP.”
“And what about the Eternal, Ms. Clyne?” Ezalia Jule asked over the video transmission. She had been assigned to be temporary Head Council of the PLANTs while nobody had been chosen yet to replace former Chairman Patrick Zala. “I believe it is still the property of ZAFT.”
Lacus replied without hesitation, “The Eternal will enter the Earth’s atmosphere together with the two ships. The EA will, no doubt, request an audience, and I will represent the PLANTs as head of the Clyne faction until ZAFT sends a representative to meet with them.”
“You don’t have to bother yourself with that. The Clyne faction does not speak for most of our people,” she said with thinly veiled derision. “I can better represent the Coordinators’ side.”
Lacus gave Ezalia a resolute nod. “I am sure you can, Councilor Jule, but it would be better for the PLANTs to be re-organized first, and ZAFT will need a leader to coordinate the re-settlements and preparations.”
“Point taken, Ms. Clyne, but you have been an enemy of the PLANTs, and I don’t think it would sit well with our people that you speak for them,” Ezalia smoothly answered, as if she’d all along known how Lacus would react.
The pink-haired teenager smiled kindly at the fair-head. “I am sure you will be available for the EA as soon as you can, but for the meantime, I will speak for all the Coordinators. I have been a peace representative of the PLANTs before, and I am certain that a number still believe in me.”
“All right. As you wish,” she hesitantly agreed. There was a moment of silence. “Is Commander Jule available to speak with?” her voice suddenly softened.
“I’m afraid not. Yzak is currently at the Archangel.”
“Is that so. Then I will take my leave of you and arrange for a transport ship.”
“Thank you. Oh, and before I forget, please send a carrier ship as well to retrieve what’s left of the ZAFT mobile suits.”
Ezalia nodded
The communication screen blinked and was blank.
o-o
“Hey, what took so long?” Athrun called out as Cagalli floated inside the anchorage.
The Orb princess kept her head down as she made her way towards the former Justice pilot. She shook her head. “Just had a lot to discuss with Kisaka, is all.” She looked around, her hair still falling around her face, efficiently hiding her red cheek from his sight. “Are we good to go?”
“Our shuttle’s over there, but they’re still clearing out the docking track so we can smoothly take off. It’s almost done.”
“All right.” Then she was silent, her head again bowed down.
The hangar was a mess. Technicians and repairmen littered the floors, scaffoldings, and platforms, and some wafted around as they punched in codes, calculations, and other data in their laptops. Sparks from welding machines and dust from drills were everywhere, and the air was filled with a cacophony of noises. Despite their surroundings, Cagalli wasn’t bothered out of her thoughts.
“Shuttle Two is ready to head out!” someone from below them called out.
“That’s ours,” Athrun told the distraught Cagalli, and when there was no response, he shook her shoulder gently.
“Huh? Oh, did you say something?” Cagalli still looked out of it.
“Our shuttle’s ready.”
“Oh.” She tailed Athrun as they drifted towards their designated transport and collided with him when she failed to see that he’d stopped. “Sorry,” she whispered then wended her way in, passing him along as she did so. She didn’t notice his worried look.
Cagalli strapped herself in her seat as Athrun inputted their course destination. She still didn’t say anything when she felt Athrun’s presence beside her.
It doesn’t make sense. Why did he have to suggest that? Cagalli pondered what happened earlier at the bridge. She narrowed her eyes at nothing, her head turned towards the shuttle window. I have to. I just have to. It’s my responsibility. I’ll take care of things.
Athrun nudged her with his shoulder and she lurched out of her thoughts. She looked up at him, asking silently what he wanted. Seeing his eyes widen a little made her wonder why he suddenly looked worried.
She flinched when he gingerly touched her cheek. Oh no…why did he have to see?
“What happened?”
Cagalli shook her head away from his fingers as she tried to still her heart from the effect of the raw concern his eyes reflected. “It’s nothing,” she said as casually as she could to allay his worry, which she doubted did any good because of her earlier reaction.
He was silent, and Cagalli thought he would drop it.
“Tell me, Cagalli. It would help if you talk about it.”
She was wrong, but instead of getting irritated at his prying, she found herself genuinely touched by his concern. Hesitantly, she spoke. “Athrun…is it…wrong…to grow up quickly?” She kept her eyes downcast.
“Is that what you’re worrying about? It seems kind of off to think of that.”
She snapped her head towards him and glared. “Well, that’s helpful,” she bitingly returned.
The former Justice pilot had the grace to look embarrassed. “I didn’t mean it like that, Cagalli. I’m sorry if it sounded that way.” He smiled at her uncertainly. He probably figured he wouldn’t get back in her good graces until he answered her question. “I don’t think it’s wrong. To grow up quickly, I mean. But it’s unfair.”
“Unfair?” Cagalli was puzzled.
“Yes,” Athrun confirmed.
“To whom? The people around her? Because she wouldn’t have to be bound by the same rules as they? How can it be unfair when it would be her who would be carrying most of their workload? Tell me! She’s taking on more responsibilities, for crying out loud!” Cagalli was almost shouting at the end of her tirade.
Athrun, however, was unfazed. “It’s not unfair to them; it’s unfair to you,” he cleared up.
“How can--- Wha--- What do you mean ‘you’?”
He smiled at her knowingly. “You’ve been out of it since you talked to Kisaka. Then you get that slap mark”---she winced again---“on your cheek. Then you ask something I really think you wouldn’t normally ask,” he sighed. “That’s more than enough to hint me that the ‘her’ you’re talking about is you.”
The blonde princess deflated, her anger seeping off her.
“Don’t grow up too fast, Cagalli. I might have an idea about how you’re conversation with Kisaka went…and I’m sure, the things he said and the stuff you want, those things take time. The war has already made us mature faster than we want to.” He gave her a gentle smile. “I, for one, want to experience those little things that people our age enjoy without the worry that the war would break it up.”
She looked up at him curiously. “Like what?”
“Like falling in love,” he answered simply, looking her in the eye.
Cagalli Yula Athha blushed like she never had in her entire existence. Her cheeks were deeply flushed, and she briefly wondered whether he could feel the heat emanating from her cheeks.
“Does it still hurt?” he asked, cupping her chin and turning her head slightly to look at the angry mark.
She shook her head. She didn’t think she could trust her voice at the moment.
“Good because I don’t think we have cubes right now to ice that down.” He dropped a kiss on her offended cheek.
Cagalli blushed even more at the unexpected gesture. She didn’t know why she was embarrassed since no one else was on board, but she guessed it was because she just really wasn’t used to it. They had kissed, once, but who knew if that was just in the heat of the moment.
Sure, it was he who initiated it, but didn’t I consent to it? Then why the heck am I embarrassed? And we’re not even kissing!
Back then, there had been no time to discuss it---to discuss where they stood---but now…Cagalli didn’t know how to explain it any more than she knew how to broach the subject. So, she kept quiet. The feeling, however, wasn’t unpleasant. Guess they didn’t need ice after all.
He moved back, releasing his hold, and, as if nothing out of the ordinary happened, asked, “Aside from the obvious topic about taking over your father’s duties, what else did Kisaka tell you that got you so caught up?”
She inwardly sighed in relief when he changed the topic, but still took notice of the tingles running up and down her spine and the unmistakable heat on her cheeks.
Cagalli bit the inside of her lip then decided that she wasn’t surprised that he knew what she and Kisaka talked about; after all, he did say he had an idea how their conversation went.
She shrugged. “A chance I should take…we all should take.”
“What chance was he talking about?”
“You can act like a teenager. Be free like the kids your age. Have fun with your brother and all your friends. You’re given this chance and who knows when this will be taken away from you again by circumstances beyond your control.”
“What chance are you talking about?” she asked in a low voice, trying to understand the events that just transpired in the span of such short time.
He smiled at her as he answered.
Cagalli looked up at the curious face of Athrun Zala, finally agreeing with and accepting the truth in Kisaka’s words. “A chance at life.”

-To Be Continued…

Author’s notes:
No matter, please review! If you feel like flaming this story, full steam ahead, so long as you don’t insult me. Just make sure, though, that you flame me with constructive criticisms, otherwise, they’ll be useless.
Cheers!