Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Fan Fiction ❯ Preventers: When Vampires Attack ❯ Chapter 11

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The bed was as good as any other place to sit and feel sorry for herself. Amy let her mind wander on a decisively depressed note, her eyes resting dully on the second mark. What to do. There was nothing she could do. She couldn't go out there again. Not in upper Alben at least. Maybe she could talk Wufei into taking an apartment in the underground. It'd be harder for Mikael to unleash his legions of undead there. And she could stay with Damien at Libido. As long as she stayed with someone at all times, she should be safe. And-

And I'll just see if Damien wouldn't mind holding my hand every time I need to go to the bathroom too. With a disgusted glower, Amy tore the bra from her lap and hurled it across the room. Frustratingly enough, the lace fluttered to the floor about a meter away from her feet. Snarling softly, she bounced off the bed and ground it into the carpeting with the heel of her sneaker. Stupid…thing! Sure, you can hold my wrists without breaking but try to throw you and you're freaking USELESS! Stupid thing…stupid…. She shouldn't be getting as much satisfaction as she was, watching it fight for its life beneath her foot. "That's right! You sit there and take it, you! Should've done the same with Mikael-"

Knock knock.

Amy's heart leaped up into to her throat and locked a deathgrip onto her trachea for good measure. She leaned into the living room to stare at the line of light beneath the hall door. The knock came again. Clearing her throat softly, she worked her white-knuckled hand from its stranglehold on the bedroom doorknob and turned the living room light on. No one was out there. They really had left. With a start, Amy realized that the pressure that had been growing in her head coming back from work was completely gone. So. She'd had her warning after all. Next time she'd recognize the feeling for what it was and… and… do something. Just what, she wasn't sure. Run maybe.

Still, she gingerly walked around the furniture, half expecting the Master vampire to reach out from under the couch to grab her ankles or pounce from the ceiling fan above. The thought made her shudder and she actually glanced directly overhead before she could tell herself how stupid she was. He did his business and left. He's hungry, remember? The poor baby…

Her room key was lying on the coffee table. She didn't remember putting it there. Frowning, she slipped it into her pocket. By the time she opened the door, her caller had given up on her and was halfway to the Maxwells' apartment.

"Conan!" Amy looked both ways before slipping out into the corridor to beckon him. He immediately turned and walked back to her, but his expression was at best unreadable. Tonight he wore a white button-up shirt that had only been half-tucked into a pair of khaki slacks, as if he'd decided to dress and leave in a hurry. Somehow, his mussed, casual appearance brought on an old feeling of familiarity. A soothing feeling.

She smiled apologetically and backed into the living room again, although it took real effort not to look over her shoulder. "Come on in. What's up?" Her voice sounded small and breathless to her ears.

He paused in the doorway, long enough to give her an appraising look that bordered serious concern. "Are you feeling all right? You look like you've been put right through a wringer."

No, I look like I've been assaulted, threatened, and frightened out of my senseless, witless pants, that's what. Her eyes widened slightly and darted to the hole in her pants. Nothing…important showed, it was low enough on her thigh that there was no issue of modesty, but if he noticed…. Amy, you dope, don't look at it, you'll draw his attention right to it!

Conan followed her eyes to the fraying denim. "What happened here?" he drawled. He seemed to choose his words carefully.

Amy waved his question away and put on a smile. "Could you wait right here? I gotta…you know." She threw a thumb over her shoulder and sidled toward the bathroom. He gently closed the hall door and leaned against the wall as she slipped into the bathroom and shut the door behind her.

The first thing she noticed was the pasty white face with big dark eyes that was staring at her through the mirror. She sighed with frustration and pinched her cheeks roughly. That helped a bit.

"What do I do?" she muttered softly, taking up an apprehensive perch on the side of the tub. "Conan should know. I mean, if Mikael is on to him now, he needs to know. But if he's the same ever-loving Boy Scout he was before, he'll certainly tell Stacie, and probably Wufei, that Mikael showed up here tonight. Stacie, I can handle her knowing. But Wufei?" Amy sighed and lowered herself to sit on the throw rug. "It's not his problem. And I bet he doesn't know the first thing about vampires."

Oh. But you sure proved how knowledgeable you are when it comes to them.

Great, now she was arguing with herself. "But, I've dealt with them before, I can do it again."

And how long ago was that? Five years? You really think you can pick up where you left off?

"Well, I-"

And you had your friends then. You would never have escaped Mikael the first time you ever met him if it hadn't been for them. Remember?

Amy scowled and jabbed a finger at no one in particular. "Now wait just a minute. I held my own just fine," she hissed.

Right. You were unconscious when they arrived. And already sporting the first mark. You needed them; Super Stacie, Tiger, Archer, Kadere, Ash, Meta…even Joe. And last night. You never would have gotten out if Conan hadn't shown up.

Sigh. "Yeah, I know…." Amy pushed herself to her feet and approached the mirror again. She leaned forward on the sink until she and her reflection were centimeters apart, staring into her own eyes with a stolid determination that set her jaw. "Wufei needs to know. He and Stacie and Conan deserve to know. We'll fight this together and solve the damned case and leave Alben. I have to deal with Mikael before I can put him behind me forever." She settled back onto her heels with a snort and one last curt nod for her reflection. Most of the color had returned to her face by now. She gave her cheeks a hearty rub and headed back out to face Conan.

He was right where she'd left him, leaning against the living room wall as if he were guarding the hall door. When she stepped out, he pushed himself upright and approached her with a small smile. "Well, you look better. How are you feeling?"

Amy nodded. "Better. I just needed to straighten myself up a bit." She grimaced. "It's been a long night."

Conan smiled and patted her shoulder, a little awkwardly at that. "I arrived with Avyth just now. I wanted to help with this case too, remember? They're giving Avyth and me the case folder you brought with you. We'll be up to date by tomorrow night." He steered her toward the couch, fairly oozing motherly concern. "Of course, I also wanted to see how your night went. I see I was being too paranoid this evening when you called. Obviously you're in one piece and Mikael didn't whisk you away. I'm…sorry I underestimated you."

He looked up, startled when she put her hand over his. She tried to meet his eyes, but couldn't quite manage it. "No, you didn't. Mikael did contact me tonight."

Conan stiffened immediately, suddenly protective and coiled ready for action. He took in the living room a perfunctory sweep of his golden brown eyes, as if expecting to see Mikael standing right there with them. The growl that came from his throat brought Amy's hackles to attention. "When? Where was he, Amy? He didn't…do anything, did he?" Those flashing eyes fell on her ruined jeans.

"No, no. No marks, no lasting traumatization." Amy desperately squeezed his hand in her own in an attempt to soothe him. If he automatically flipped into a frenzy when she mentioned Mikael, he'd gnaw a hole in the couch when she told him that Mikael had been right here only a little while ago. To her utmost relief, he composed himself under the firm pressure of her hand.

"He checked on the mark, to make sure it had taken hold and was all healed and stuff. Conan, he was also asking about you. He wants you very badly. I think he's going to try to make an example out of you, partly as a message to his underlings and partly to soothe his own ego." She caught his eyes and held them this time.

But he fixed her with an intense stare. "Where was he, Amy?" His tone made it clear that he would not accept any further evasions.

"Here." As she'd expected, Conan looked like he'd just sat down on a smoking bomb. "He was waiting for me when I came back from Libido."

Conan lowered his head, momentarily hiding behind a swath of sandy brown hair. When he looked up again, his face was granite personified. He silently pulled her to her feet and dragged her toward the hall door. "That's it, you're not staying here anymore. Two nights ago they waiting outside this building, tonight Mikael himself was in your apartment. You're staying with me until I can get you out of here. I know a pilot I can trust. He'll fly you out of here for free, once I contact him."

For once, Amy knew what it must feel like to be dragged behind wild horses. "Conan!!" She scraped his hand from her wrist and stood aback, scowled at him as fondly as possible. "Will you stop this? This is exactly why I didn't want to tell you in the first place! Anyway, keeping me at your place is the stupidest idea you've ever had! Mikael can home in on me and find me, remember? I'm not letting him find you that easily, you big stupid…stupid!" He blinked and stood a bit taller. "Now, I'm going nextdoor and having a chat with the others. Would you like to join me, or would you rather stand there and foam at the mouth like you seem so inclined to do?"

Conan frowned and sucked his bottom lip between his teeth fleetingly before following her out the door.

The others accepted her news better than Conan had. More or less. When she got to the "where" part, Avyth howled and dove into his large duffel bag, no doubt searching for stakes or guns or both. Wufei spluttered darkly for a few minutes, but the other Preventers had gotten used to his rants and were able to tune him out completely. Duo experienced a rise in testosterone as well, looping a protective arm around his wife and eyeing the window menacingly.

Stacie, of course, took things rather well. "Bastard. Just wait till I get him alone…." It was left unclear whether that was a good thing or bad.

Avyth shouldered his entire arsenal and excused himself to skulk about outside. One could only imagine him sleuthing about for vampire nose hairs or skin cells. But if he found anything, he didn't let on. Perhaps he expected Stacie to snatch his clues away, or burn them on sight.

By the time the group was together again, everyone was more or less returned to normal. That meant different things for different people, but was undoubtedly preferable to the previous level of excitement. Duo ended up making a rather large bowl of popcorn, which was perfectly salted and buttered to taste. It was most enjoyable, and may have played some small part in easing the electrified tension in the room. A relaxed conversation ensued, in which Avyth divulged his knowledge of the two undocumented murders.

From what he described, they fit the pattern that the recorded six had set. The killings were definitely occurring more frequently. Out of eight total murders-Laura Asano's being the eighth-the undocumented pair seemed to be the second and fifth. However, even Avyth's analytical mind couldn't eke out a set pattern that would allow them to predict the next murder. If the loose blueprint they had compiled was to be trusted, the next victim would be taken within the week. If the killer, or killers, was deliberately timing these things.

In return, Wufei outlined the Preventers' information on the case. Avyth ate it right up, readily interjecting comments on vampire behavior and mannerisms. The man was a veritable font of arcane knowledge! Amy found herself sneaking glimpses of Conan every bit as much as she watched Avyth. Conan seemed content to remain silent, but nodded in affirmation of the slayer's commentary. Interesting, considering most of Avyth's input was less than flattering to vampires.

The vampire slayer scooted forward eagerly as they finally spread a few of the photos out on the coffee table. His eyes took on an eerie glow of excitement as he surveyed the pictures. "Here! And here, yes! They will take some blood from the inner thigh when they are focusing on giving sexual pleasure. If the vampire is young, teasing a drop of blood here and there won't be enough to satisfy them; it would quickly incite their bloodlust. If they continued to hold themselves back, sampling blood here and here-" He stabbed at the photos with a rigid finger, indicating several small wounds that might have escaped all but his feverish eyes as they were hidden beneath a solid sheen of blood. "-their desire would build and build to a point where they couldn't control it. Now some, some vampires like that; it's exciting. To hold back until they lose control and lose themselves in their bloodlust. Whatever happens after that is completely up in the air."

Amy caught Conan nodding slowly as Avyth spoke. Had he ever…? She shuddered as a chill raced up her spine. No, not Conan.

"So you're saying that vampires did this?" Her eyes locked on the photographs beneath Avyth's finger, Stacie forgot that she had solemnly sworn not to speak to him.

If Avyth realized that, he showed no sign. "They could. It's entirely possible. That doesn't rule out other creatures, of course." He directed a dangerous smirk at Stacie. "They are out there, as you well know, demoness."

Stacie sniffed and fixed her eyes on the photographs. Avyth continued to watch her for a moment. He looked as though he wished she were lying open on a dissection table. His obsession with the preternatural certainly did envelope more than vampires. So much love in the room….

It was Conan who broke the heavy silence. He stood in one smooth motion, brushing a few wrinkles from his slacks with stiff, quick hands. "I'd better head out. The sun will be coming up in just over an hour and I'd rather be at full strength during my trip home." For some reason, he frowned and pensively fingered something through his shirt; something small that rested on his bare chest. Amy quirked an eyebrow as her eyes were drawn to the silver chain that just barely peeked out from within the collar of his shirt. She had never known Conan to wear jewelry-and if that was silver….

She smiled and shook her head. Now, when they were both in danger, he wouldn't allow himself to be weakened by silver, no matter how pretty it looked. Conan didn't put much stock in appearances, unless the situation desperately called for it. It might well be white gold or some cheap alloy or frigging tinfoil and what business of hers was it anyway, what he was wearing? He could fill his entire body with piercings and it shouldn't effect her in the slightest. She widened her smile and rose to her feet along with the others.

Avyth carefully stacked the photographs and slipped them into the case folder. Everything disappeared into his duffel bag, which he shouldered as he fell into step beside Conan. "We'll review this today and get back to you tonight. I think," he ventured hesitantly, "that it would be best if your police friends didn't know about myself or Conan."

Duo dutifully finished up the last of the popcorn, scraping up the seasonings that lay on the bottom of the bowl. He licked the butter from his fingers and cocked his head at the departing visitors. "Not mention you, huh? And why's that?"

"Vampires are on the Alben police department's shit list right about now." Conan smirked wryly, then indicated his associate with an outstretched hand. "And Avyth here isn't in a much better light. They've had some interesting run-ins before and, well…. They don't get along that well. They know he's the leading vampire expert in the country, but they are also familiar with his overzealousness and unconventional methods."

Avyth hefted his bag full of unconventional methods and scowled at no one in particular.

Wufei sauntered up to Conan as the vampire reached for the door. For a moment, Amy thought there might be trouble, but he simply extended a hand. "I've heard some good things about you, Conan. I'm sure the team will be better off for your help."

Conan nodded and shook hands somberly. "I just hope that the murders will be solved quickly. And you all can leave Alben in favor of a more congenial destination." He glanced over Wufei's shoulder, directing a meaningful look at Amy. "This murderer isn't the only danger around here."

The telephone sounded. As Duo stole into the kitchen to answer it, Amy checked her wristwatch with a frown. Who would be calling at 5am? Conan seemed content to wait at the door; he and Avyth fixed their eyes on the kitchen.

"What?" Duo's shock pierced the silence of the room. Stacie swept into the kitchen to press her ear to outside of the receiver. "I- Yes. I understand. We'll be right there. Thank you, Juan. M'bye."

It was a grim Duo that returned to the living room. "There's been another murder. The body was just found, and it's fresh. They want us there."

Avyth and Conan exchanged a dark look. "They won't be wanting us. We'll see you tomorrow night. You get out of Libido at 2?"

Amy pulled her key from her pants pocket, checking to make sure Wufei had his on him. "Here. To let yourself into our apartment if you get here before us." She pressed it into the vampire's palm, smiling when he gave her hand a small squeeze.

Then Conan and Avyth slipped out into the corridor, leaving the Preventers to prepare for the crime scene. If the photographs were enough to make them uneasy, Amy didn't care to think about how the full experience would affect them. She wished she hadn't eaten any popcorn.