Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Strange Trip ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Part 2

Wufei didn't talk about his misadventure with the others and kept yesterday's outcome a secret. He couldn't believe what had happened, he thought after he got back from the training grounds and took a shower that the illusion was just that, an illusion. It must have been contaminated water or maybe there was some kind of hallucinogen in the air, which caused him to become delirious, Wufei debated internally. So caught up in his misadventure, Wufei did not realized that he was no longer alone.

"Hey Wufei are we going to practice at the ancient grounds of the Dragon clan," Duo yelled out. The loud American colonist was racing to catch up with him his voice ringing across the hotel lobby as he went to meet the others in the hotel restaurant for breakfast. Every morning since they got to China Duo had been up early wondering if today Wufei would take him.

"I don't know. The ancestors will probably be mad if some foreigner enters the holy training grounds," Wufei teased. He was happy to take his mind off his current situation.

"Hey, you promised," Duo snapped.

Actually Wufei hadn't promised he had only said he wished he could show them the lands of his people. He had been telling the group about the family legend. Where a thousand of years ago there were great schools of the martial arts all though-out China and the Dragon clan was one of the most powerful. Among the clan it was said that if a teacher was to take a young prospective student to the special grounds and if that student passed a sacred rite then he was destined to never be a loser in a battle.

Trowa and Quatre had found the tale amusing enjoyable. Heero seemed to be listening which is most likely a stretch, however Duo was enraptured with the story. He fell in love with the romantic images Wufei had described and begged Wufei to take him.

"I want to be unbeatable. Wufei take me to the ancient site," Duo begged. "I will make you the best partner ever."

Wufei just laughed shaking his head. A smirk lightening up his normally serious face. "Duo taking you there and having you go through a rite like we were teacher and student are two different things."

"But you have showed me so much already," Duo protested. "We're practically teacher and student."

"The ritual is very difficult. There hasn't been a new member to the clan through that approach for hundreds of years, maybe even thousands," Wufei told him seriously as the two of them joined the others.

"You should have faith in your teaching skills," Duo said angrily.

"You would be better off just asking Wufei to teach you another fighting technique. Instead of wasting his time," Heero interjected his wild brown hair and vivid dark blue eyes not matching his quiet mannerisms.

"Hey! What are you implying, Heero," Duo snapped realizing he may have just been insulted.

Wufei also stiffened at the comment. Did Heero mean that he thought the ritual was not real? Or it was a waste of time? Both of them waited to hear Heero's answer.

"Exactly that, you're wasting his time," Heero supplied flatly.

Wufei frowned but said nothing. It wasn't him Heero was insulting after all. Still this was their normally quiet Heero, bickering? Duo always complained that Heero liked to antagonize him but to say the truth none of the others believed it to be true. They didn't believe that Duo was lying since Duo always claims to tell the truth just that he must be mistaken.

"Oh, so you think I'll fail. I won't. I mean if Wufei takes me," Duo huffed.

"It makes no difference," Heero countered.

"Heero is right it makes no difference," Quatre agreed his light aquamarine eyes and ash blonde hair giving him the appearance of perpetual innocence. His commanding tone belied the image.

"Quatre you too," Duo was flabbergasted.

"Hear me out. Omitting the unbeatable part, which can be interpreted in many ways," Quatre added quickly seeing Wufei's frown. "What difference does it make if Wufei takes Duo there as a student. Are you not someone who has learned from him so either way if Wufei takes Duo there then he already is his student."

"Actually there is a difference, students who go through the rite are not just a student but potential future clan members," Wufei elaborated.

"So the actual question is do you want another clan member even if the chances of that happening are slim," Trowa asked his brown bangs covering one of his dark green eyes.

There was a pregnant silence.

They all knew Wufei was the last of his clan and Duo was an orphan. Being part of a family meant a lot to both of them. If Wufei didn't want to even offer him such an option, Duo would be devastate by his rejection but Wufei was never a cruel person.

"I didn't know it was that personal you don't-" Duo started to say but Wufei cut him off.

"I will be visiting the site today to pay tribute to my clan. It is also close to where we hid the ship. It really doesn't make a difference if it's to initiate a new student or meditate. Now let me go change and pack," Wufei said to everyone and left.

"Well Duo I wish you good luck," Quatre said happily.

Duo smiled happily, secretly relieved that Wufei had not spurned him. Suddenly, Heero stood up he gave Duo a penetrating look and walked off.

"Sheez what is eating him? It's not like he's under pressure," Duo complained.

"Well that's your own doing," Trowa said to Duo flashing him the second green eye from under his brown bangs.

* * * * * * * * * * *

Wufei decided that he was not going to go back to the sacred springs and truthfully he was very flattered and glad Duo had taken an interest in his family's legend. When Duo came back from breakfast Wufei told him to get ready they were leaving at once. He set a fast pace as they reach the base of the mountain leading to a valley of plateaus and peaks in the northern area.

"It's a good distance so don't lag behind," Wufei said sternly. Duo wasn't fooled for a minute he knew that Wufei was pleased with his interest.

It was a great day the sky was blue and the temperature mild. Wufei was wearing a traditional string pants, tank top and Chinese style jacket. His straight black hair pulled into it customary ponytail. His dark almond shaped eyes staring intently ahead. Duo felt a little out of place and it wasn't just his chestnut color hair in a 3 foot long braid and violet eyes that made him feel that way. He had decided to wear his hiking boots and comfortable jeans and jacket but he wasn't sure what he should practice in. Duo carried only a small bag with an extra change of clothes, water and snacks.

"Wufei is what I'm wearing okay?" Wufei barely spared him a glance. He didn't seem concerned so Duo decided not to worry about it.

They reached the ancient site after nearly three hours of up hill climbing. The impression of a large structure was all that was left-part of the original foundation's stones were scattered about. It was on an incredibly high plateau with a few small trees gracing the place.

"Brr! It's cold," Duo complained.

"When we start you will not feel the cold," Wufei said while drawing a white loincloth from within the folds of his jacket. "Put this on," He said as he tossed the garment to Duo.

"What, you want me to wear this thing, no way," Duo said eyeing the garment that resembled a large diaper to him.

"Am I not to be your teacher? Do as I say. I thought you were serious," he scowled.

Duo stopped grumbling and started to undress placing his clothes in his bag and hanging it on some nearby brush. Wufei took the ancient arts very seriously and he knew that he would actually become very angry with him if he was not serious. He may even leave him stranded there if he pissed him off enough.

"Next, we must meditate and clear our minds of worldly thoughts, " Wufei continued when Duo was done. "We call on the ancestors of the Dragon clan," Wufei intoned in the old tongue. He clapped his hands together once loudly and repeated the phase.

* * * * * * * * * * *

They had set out from very early morning and had been practicing all day. The sun was starting its decent in the west and the whole plateau was bathed in an orange glow. Wufei had only allowed Duo breaks to drink water. Now his legs were beginning to feel like jelly.

Duo had just finished this latest kata when his knees gave out. "No more, I can't do another," he croaked.

Wufei grounded his teeth in frustration. When he had first came with Duo he thought that he would last about an hour or so and then probably give up. He never dreamed that Duo would not only succeed in remembering the intricate steps but also that he would execute them so perfectly.

The sun would set in about an hour and Duo only had 25 kata's left before finishing the rite. He must complete them before the sun sets. The Dragon Clan had not had an initiate this way in so many years. All members were usually born into the clan but there was another way for someone to become a member. Now something that had started out as a fluke seemed much more to Wufei.

If Duo completed this rite not only would his ancestors recognize him as a new member but also the guardian of the ancestors would be pleased that Wufei has continued the work of his people. Wufei believed he could sense the forces of the ancestors all around him and it was not just from the growing number of darks clouds above their heads.

"Shin Tao Ki Kei, Dragon Flying Fist," Wufei yelled the next kata first in Chinese then in English. He could not let Duo give up when he was so close. Wufei stepped up to Duo and repeated his request. By the law of the ritual Wufei could not tell Duo that he was so close to finishing. However, Wufei could put, as much pressure as needed on the candidate to finish but if Duo really refused then there was nothing he could do.

"No more Wufei really," Duo panted.

"Heero was right about you, you have been wasting my time" Wufei growled at him his face an angry snarl.

"No more, I can barely move," Duo, panted. Wufei grabbed his long braid and pulled hard.

"Ouch, Are you trying to kill me?" Duo cried out. He tugged his braid back looking truly upset.

Kill him? On inspiration Wufei drew a strange ceremonial dagger from his belt and brandished it in Duo's face. "If you don't continue I will kill you. I will not have brought a failure to the ancestors," Wufei threatened.

"No-Ouch!" Duo yelled clutching his face. Wufei had just dragged the dagger across his left cheek giving him a shallow cut and quick as lightening he reversed the blade and pressed it against his throat . He repeated the desired kata.

"Dragon Flying Fist," Wufei growled at him. Duo looked at Wufei's angry face-he stepped back and gathered his reserved. He started the intricate moves of the Dragon Flying Fist.

Wufei jumped back onto a protrusion of foundation to observe him. He took off his shirt and yelled out the next kata. The clouds continued to grow overhead and the wind started to pickup. The ancestors were whispering to him.

Duo had only two more kata's to go when the sky had grown quite dark but it was from clouds not the setting sun. The last rays of sun were not completely gone in the west and the sky had a rich red cast to it. The wind was sharp and snatched the sweat from their skin. Wufei could feel the energy in the air. The ancestors were with them. "Shin Yei Shin Ken Yei No, Dragon Rises Dragon Truth," Wufei called to Duo for the last kata. Then Wufei started to chant as Duo started to perform the steps.

Spirit of the Dragon Clan I bring to you

One who is worthy

One who is strong

One who is true

Duo Maxwell has taken your song

Ancient Ancestor hear your son

Accept the strength of this powerful one

A boom of thunder echoed his voice.

Duo was trembling from fatigue he wasn't even sure how he was managing to keep standing. Wufei was shouting in a strange tongue. He thought he heard Wufei say his name then a boom. Duo was so exhausted he didn't even flinch at the loud peal of thunder but as he came to a stop on this last kata-he raised weary eyes to see Wufei standing slightly above him his arms raised to the heavens. The wind was so strong it was whipping Wufei's short ponytail loose. Duo stopped and swayed waiting for the next request. He tried to blink away the sweat dropping into his eyes when he realized that it was rain.

"Ancient Ancestors hear your son!" Wufei's howl suddenly turned into a screech.

Lighting flashed above and his form was illuminated briefly. Then the sky opened up and a deluge came down. One moment Wufei was standing on the protrusion of rock then next it was a topless girl with shoulder length red hair. She was petite, trim and athletic but with full breasts.

Duo was standing there blinking the water out of his eyes. He thought he must be delusional. Was there a topless girl standing in front of him? He closed his eyes and shook his head.

Wufei froze something was wrong. Duo was gaping at him. He looked down at him self and screamed. "No!" He threw his arms around his chest and reached for his shirt then turned and ran away.

Duo blinked really hard but he had lost sight of the girl. He heard her screamed and then she was gone. He looked around and realized that Wufei was missing.

"Wufei where are you?" Duo's voice was a tired whisper.

"Where are you?" Duo yelled. "Wufei!"