Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Behind the Facade ❯ "What is my future?" ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Okay, I know this one's a little short, but they way the next one begins means that this one had to stop where it stops. 'K? 'K! ^_^ Sorry for taking so long with this, I have the whole rest of the story planned out, but I didn't think about this part very much. But, as our Perfect Soldier says, I will eliminate all obstacles. And I just eliminated one with this chapter, so we can move on! Thanx to everyone who's reviewed, I really need the encouragement. *mumbles* Now I know how hard this is . . .
Disclaimer: When I rule the world, all the fighting will disappear, all the bad drugs will be banished, all diseases will be cured but most of all . . . I WILL OWN GUNDAM WING!!! Bwahahahahaaa!!! However, *pouts* I don't rule the world yet, so that means that I don't own GW. I will, though . . . (j/k :))
Behind the Facade
By Angel of Death
~~~CHAPTER FOUR-"What is my future?"~~~
Bright, morning sun filtered in through the window in Iria's room at the Richard Carter Military Academy, falling in a golden wave onto the faces of the two occupants in the queen-sized bed. Both blondes were sleeping, their respective breath coming in a steady repetition of in and out. Dust motes danced above them, caught in the warm rays just before they retreated into invisibility, then coming back a moment later. The younger girl's eyes fluttered open, and she slowly sat up. Where am I? she thought, then the events of the previous night flooded her memory until she felt dizzy. She shook her head to clear the muzziness, then pushed the covers off of her and set her feet on the cold, hardwood floor. Despite the fact that it was the beginning of summer, the floor still got cold. The girl stood up, swaying for a moment before finding an even footing and walking out of the door and down the hall, into the kitchen, where a man with light-brown hair and hazel eyes stood in a green bathrobe and an apron over a frying pan, with eggshells littering the counter around him. He looked up when he saw her, and his face broke into a warm smile.
"Good morning, Relena, did you have a nice sleep?" he asked politely, going back to his cooking. Relena rubbed her eyes and nodded groggily, her dark green T-shirt and black jean-shorts rumpled.
"Sorry I didn't give you something to sleep in last night, other than your clothes. I figured you wanted to get to sleep, after such a tiring day." the man said. The three-year-old shook her head.
"'S okay. What are you cooking, Dr. Carter?" she asked, trying to see into the frying pan.
"Please, call me Richard. I can't stand it when people refer to me formally." the man, Richard, said, smiling. Relena nodded her consent and continued to observe her current guardian, taking in and taking note of his every move. When Richard saw how carefully he was being scrutinized, he laughed, reaching over to ruffle Relena's already-mussed hair.
"Yes, you'll make a wonderful Gundam pilot, I'm sure of it." he said merrily. Relena gave him a quizzical look.
"What made you say that?" she asked curiously.
"Well, you were just watching me, and it seemed like you were sizing me up, trying to find out what I was like. Soldiers need the ability to do that, but not quite the same way. Soldiers need the ability to size up their enemy and be able to tell what their weaknesses are, along with their strengths. Since you already have the ability to size up people, all we have to do is temper and hone that ability, which won't take much, considering your maturity and intelligence." he clarified, and he was surprised to see that Relena seemed to comprehend what he'd said. He shook his head and returned his attention to his cooking.
"You never told me what you're cooking." Relena said, frowning as if this was a capital offense. Richard chuckled and turned to Relena, his eyes dancing.
"Pardon me, Your Majesty." he said in a mock-royal voice, eliciting a laugh from his charge. "As to your question, I'm making omelettes for you, Iria, and myself. I'm making Iria's right now, what would you like in yours?" he inquired. Relena thought for a moment.
"I think I'd like just ham and cheese in mine, if that's okay." she finally declared, and Richard nodded.
"Okay, ham and cheese it is. Would you go wake Iria up? Her's is almost ready." he said. Relena nodded and turned around, back in the direction of the hall. When she reached the room, her body tensed, her instincts kicking in. She glanced around, then slowly opened the door and walked in. She looked around, then saw that the bed was empty. She was about to call for Richard when she heard a sound behind her.
"ROAAARR!!!" Relena whirled around and had both of her attacker's hands in her grip before she knew what she was doing. It turned out that the attacker was Iria.
"Geez, you look so pale! It was a JOKE, 'Lena, a JOKE. Man, I certainly didn't expect THIS to happen." she said, looking at her hands, which were being clenched in Relena's fists. Relena breathed a sigh of relief and let her new friend's hands go.
"Please, please don't startle me like that." she said in exasperation, running a hand through her mussed-up hair. When she ran into a tangle too tough to untangle with her fingers, she pulled her hand away from her hair and looked beseechingly at Iria.
"Do you have a brush I can borrow?"
"Sure! Hang on justa sec." Iria replied enthusiastically, rushing into the bathroom that connected to her room. A moment later, she jogged back out with a blue brush clutched in her hand. "Here!"
"Thanks." Relena said gratefully, accepting the brush. "Oh yeah, your breakfast is almost ready. Dr. Car-Richard told me to send you to the kitchen." she added, waving in the direction of the kitchen with her free hand. Iria grinned.
"Alright, breakfast!" she yelled, rushing out of the room. Relena smiled, finished brushing her hair, then followed the energetic seven-year-old to the kitchen, where she found Iria already wolfing down her omelette while Richard watched her condescendingly.
"Iria, it's not polite to start eating without our guest, nor is it polite to inhale your food like r that." he said, frowning, then he turned to look at Relena, who was standing in the doorway watching the scene amusingly. "I'm sorry for her behavior, she's not setting a very good example."
"That's okay, Richard. Is mine ready yet?" she asked. Richard's frown disappeared, only to be replaced by a smile.
"Almost. Go ahead and sit down." Iria had stopped eating in lieu of her grandfather's request, and was sitting impatiently, glancing longingly at her food. Relena chuckled and sat down on her right side. When everyone's food was ready, Richard bade them eat, and they consented readily. After a moment, however, Relena stopped eating and looked up, watching as Richard and Iria bantered back and forth as they ate. They look so happy . . . she thought, a flash of sadness showing briefly in her eyes. Shaking her head, she sighed and continued to eat, lacking her previous heart and luster. Now, only one thought rang through her mind: What is my future? Her thoughts were interrupted when Richard called out.
"Relena?" Relena's head shot up.
"Huh?" Richard smiled.
"I was asking if you were ready to begin your training, are you positive about your decision?" Relena nodded.
"I'm positive." she said decisively. Richard nodded.
"Good."
~*~*~*~*~
To Be Continued(perhaps) . . .