Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Preventers: The Griffin Mission ❯ Chapter 8

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

She dreamed she was lying in a man's arms. Keeping her eyes closed peacefully, Amy envisioned Wufei, knowing that in the way of dreams, her whim would become reality. Sure enough, when she opened her eyes, the well-muscled tanned arms which held her belonged to that very man. Humming a complacent sigh, she turned her head and brushed her lips against Wufei's forehead. Looking down on his face, she was pleased to find it peaceful and lax, a state he never allowed to befall him in consciousness. Silken locks of ebony hair spilled across his face, lending more of a vulnerable quality to his cast features. Smiling gently, she ran her hands up his arms and stretched backwards, against him. He murmured groggily, seeming reluctant to wake. "Well," she whispered, smiling rather naughtily, "I'll soon fix that."

Twisting around to face the handsome young ex-pilot, Amy gently kissed the hollow of his neck, slowly working her way up until his mouth curved upwards, softening invitingly. She placed her lips over his own, nuzzling and teasing them while her fingers traced small circles on the nape of his neck. Wufei's grip on her tightened, his strong hands pulling her tightly against his chest. He returned the kiss, softly at first, then growing in power and urgency. He took control, moving his hands to the small of her back, smothering her mouth under his own.

Her hands found his briefs and slowly went south, slipping down his fine ass while his own hands caressed her waist, her hips, her thighs. Then his lips pulled away from hers and trailed down her chin, following the smooth curve of her neck, and finally coming to rest on the upper curve of her left breast.

As she slid her leg over his waist, opening herself to him, pulling him closer, he slipped his hand into her bra, tenderly grasping her. One intense, obsidian eye shrouded by the silken veil of his hair, he looked up, finding her own eyes, searching them as though brushing upon her very soul. Amy dared not blink, but met his gaze, becoming lost in the depths of his essence.

Suddenly, the rock barrier at the mouth of the cave crumbled, spilling noisily across the cave floor, and a blast of icy air raked at the couple`s bared skin. The whites of their eyes flashing, both froze and stared at the opening. Then, slowly, they glanced around, taking in their surroundings. Recognition flared in Wufei's eyes and he snatched his hands from her skin as if they had been burned. Kicking free of the blanket, he leapt to his feet, staring into Amy's wide, startled eyes. Another sharp gust of wind reminded him that he was all but naked. Tugging his briefs up as high as they would go-and getting a god awful wedgie in the process-Wufei strode over to his pile of clothing. He turned his back to her as he slipped his blue jeans on.

Amy turned away, lunging for her tee-shirt and yanking it down over her head. By the time she'd finished hopping into her stiff jeans, Wufei was dressed and inspecting the cavern's opening, carefully re-positioning the rocks. And carefully ignoring her.

Oh, God. After that, how can I complete this mission? He's gotta think I'm such a psycho! She paused to muse at her own thoughts. Well, normally, I am, but that's besides the point. Looking for something else to concentrate on, and a chance to hide her face behind her long brown locks, she rummaged through the remaining pack for some provisions.

The . . . incident . . . had left her feeling embarrassed and, well, hurt. So g'damned embarrassed by her actions. . . . Honestly, she'd thought she'd been dreaming!! But Wufei's reaction had scored her deeply. Did he really find her so repulsive? If so, why had he responded to her touch so passionately?

Damned men, she growled as she pulled some jerky from the pack. Too complicated for their own fucking good. She decided to keep contact to a minimum. "I won't even look at him," she swore softly.

Wufei avoided looking at Amy, carefully gluing his eyes to his task. If he'd ever been so dishonored and embarrassed, he certainly couldn't recall the time now. As he wedged another stone into place, he shot a glance over his shoulder at her. She was crouching beside the pack, her back to him and face hidden from view. She must hate me now. I shouldn't have even removed her clothing, not without her consent. But even as he berated himself, he knew that his actions might well have saved her life. Maybe I was even right in laying with her all night. But there was no excuse for . . . for. . . . God, he had taken advantage of her disorientation, her confusion.

She must have been dreaming. Dreaming of another man-she must have a boyfriend back home. Another reason to keep away from her, Chang. His life-giving embrace must have induced her to act out the dream-somewhat like sleepwalking. Yes, that must be it.

From the far corner of his mind, a small indignant voice spoke out. You're being too hard on yourself. To be awakened in such a way, so early in the morning. . . . What man wouldn't have automatically responded the way you did? What human? You weren't taking advantage of her. Beyond partnership, you don't even have feelings for her. How could you? Meiran. Nataku. No, I feel nothing. Wufei silently repeated this to himself. For there was no way-

"Ah, Wufei. . . ." Amy was behind him. He jumped slightly, then scowled and turned around to see her offering him a few strips of jerky. His mind went blank for a second, then he snatched the meager breakfast and returned to his work, fervently packing snow in the small holes between rocks. After a moment, he turned to thank her. Maybe she wasn't all that upset. It would be childish to make a bigger issue of this than need-be.

But she had already returned to the fire and was rolling up the blanket. Wufei sighed. She hated him. He sat beneath the entrance and silently ate the jerky. Contact with the onna would remain at an absolute minimum. He would do nothing that might endanger the mission. As angry as she might be, she would surely feel the same. Of one thing, Chang Wufei was sure: it was going to be a long, cold mission.

He was just finishing the jerky when a hand brushed his shoulder hesitantly. Amy was squatting behind him, her eyes troubled. "What happened?" Inwardly, she cringed. So much for her vow of silence. But she had to know!

He paused to swallow the last mouthful, planning to rant and rave. Dishonorable onna! You made me-No, no. . . . Uuuuh. . . . "You caught me half-asleep. I-" Damn! No need to sound defensive.

Her face fell before she carefully cleared it of all emotion. "No-I meant with that snow beast . . . and the lake. I thought I was going to drown. I-I think I'd accepted death. But here I am."

"Oh." He fought to keep relief from visibly washing over his face. So, he wouldn't have to explain his actions after all! Instead, he grudgingly told her how he had followed the beast's bloody trail, pulled her from the lake, and attempted to warm her-in as few words as possible, of course.

To his great relief, her dark brown eyes softened. Amy watched him uncertainly for a moment before murmuring, "Thank you." She lowered her head, brushing her lips across the base of his neck. The hair on the nape of his neck rose and a shiver ran down his spine.

Taking his response as negative, Amy caught herself and withdrew her hand. She mumbled an apology and stood to return to the fire. She blinked in surprise when his hand lashed out to grab hers and drew her down to his level again.

Puzzled, she kneeled before him. He turned and looked her full in the face, speaking just before she averted her eyes guiltily. "Do you feel . . . dishonored?" His gaze shifted over to the coat that was still sprawled out beside the fire. If she felt the need, he would be required to make atonements. Although he had no idea how. . . .

Her cheeks reddened and she finally averted her eyes, bowing her head in . . . anger? Worried-he might as well admit it to himself-he pressed onward. "Look, onna, we need to carry out the mission. Even if you feel uncomfortable, or angry. It will never happen again. I respect your privacy." He felt like he was chewing nails. But he wouldn't stoop to apologize. After all, he had done nothing wrong! "We'll continue exploring, finish the Griffin mission. After that, we go our separate ways; Sally will reassign us-"

Shock coursed through her veins. "Wufei? You think . . . I'm angry with you? God, it's all my fault!" She gave herself a mental kick and tried to think of something more tactful to say. "If I wasn't crushing-" Oh God! She might as well kill herself now before she could say anything stupider. "I understand. You. . . . When you woke up and pushed me away. . . ." Her blush deepened. "If you don't like me, I understand. I mean, Sally chose us as partners-we had no say, really. And if you think I'm not pretty anyway-" Her hand flew to her face.

Wufei's eyes widened at her disconcertion. And pretty? What did that have to do with anything? He searched her face-her plain, smooth face-and he understood.

I . . . I have feelings for this woman? He hesitated. No! Nataku. . . . Justice. . . . I am a soldier, with no life but on the battlefield, fighting for justice, my Nataku. But his vindications sounded feeble, even to him. What I'm feeling . . . all this is, is weakness. Yes. It's been too long, that's all. You're getting desperate, Chang.

Determined to maintain his logic, Wufei looked back, looked her in the eye. Mistake. He thought back to the first time he had met her; she had held her own against an unknown opponent, in unfamiliar surroundings. Knowing the extent of his own fighting skills, he felt obliged to commend her-only a little, of course. Again, throughout the rigorous training, she showed enough basic combat knowledge and common sense to be useful. And once they stopped heckling each other, he had to admit that they did make a good team. She would never surpass him by any means, but she sure as hell tried to match him.

Then, unbidden, the scene on the ice replayed itself in his mind. He heard the ice crack, saw her go under, heard his cry. The cry of his heart. He had felt fear. But for once, the incredibly weak emotion didn't disgust him. Rather, he explored it, intrigued.

Drawn into the quiet depths of her dark chocolate eyes, he was almost unaware of his hand rising to cup her chin in his palm. In response to his gentle touch, her lips parted softly, her eyes searched his face.

Forgive me, Nataku. He slowly leaned forward and brushed his lips against hers as his hands rose to the back of her head. As if they possessed a mind of their own, his fingers ran down through her long brown hair, stroking the silken tresses. His slitted eyes closed the rest of the way as he felt her respond to his touch, his lips. Reassured of her willingness to continue, he gently pulled her closer and kissed her. She grasped him tightly, intensifying the kiss.

Then she drew back. Slowly, he opened his eyes to find her staring at him in confusion. Finally, her lips quirked. "Choose," she whispered. At his questioning expression, she continued. "Again, you act like you're interested, Wufei. But when you woke up this morning, you seemed repulsed." A trembling hand rose to touch her moist lips.

Wufei closed his eyes again, bowing his head until his loose ebony hair spilled across his face once again and it was lost in shadow. "I won't. I can't. I can't feel this way; it's a hazard to the mission." He realized that was a lame excuse. Again, his thoughts turned to Nataku. To his wife.

"Nataku. . . ," he whispered softly, for his ears alone. "Nataku, after a time, I learned to love you, but I fought it. I fought it. And when I could finally admit my love to myself, you died. So young. You died. Because of me. Had I acted like the man I was meant to be-" He shook his head. "To love me is death. To love another brings only sorrow and grief. Nataku, my parents, my colony. All I held dear. Gone."

He didn't realize he had voiced any of this until Amy`s fingertips brushed his shoulder. She hesitantly reached out toward his face as if to wipe away unshed tears, searching his eyes. "Wufei, you can't think that."

The ex-pilot shrunk back slightly, his dark brow furrowing with anger. Anger at her for overhearing; anger at himself for his uncharacteristically loose tongue. "I don't need your sympathy, woman. I don't need it and I don't want it."

"Why? What is so bad about one human feeling emotion toward another? That's what we were put here for, Chang. We need to interact, to help each other. That's what's wrong with the world. No one gives a flying shit. Everyone's too caught up in their own problems to listen; to take the time to understand that others have problems of their own." Amy's eyes flashed ardently. "Well, I'm here. And I care. I'm listening."

I am nothing without warfare. "I gave the civilian life a try." I hid! Hid in the highlands of China! "I'm not like other people." No one can understand. No one would care to try. And that`s the way I like it. "A true soldier-I can only find myself on the battlefield." Words I spoke to Yuy five years ago. Words he understood. They still ring true. "It is only then that I'm truly alive-in the heat of battle. Then. . . ." He chuckled humorlessly. "Humanity has no use for soldiers once the war is over." The war is never over. The battle may be won or lost, but that doesn't matter in the long run. It merely decides which faction will be alive to fight the next battle.

"You're wrong."

Glaring indignantly, Wufei raised his head to meet her eyes. "What, onna?"

"You are so wrong. Soldiers aren't born; they're made. And they can be unmade. Man has yet to create something that will last forever. Or to truly destroy something for all time." She set her jaw stubbornly. "Anyone can change. All it takes is a will."

Amy held her breath as his dark glare turned into a snarl. Ooooh boy. Way to go, Flamey. Now you've gone a bit too far, eh? Now what? But he froze for a moment-pondering?

After a bit, his mouth quirked in what might have been a smile and he shook his head. "Crazy onna." His face remained in shadow, his tone indecipherable.

She quirked an eyebrow, then hazarded a smile. She probably hadn't gotten anything through to him, but it was a start. Or maybe he was just in a better mood without that outrageously tight ponytail of his. Either way, it made for a happier cave.

Suddenly, the barrier of rocks collapsed on them. Amy bit back a cry as a rock harmlessly ricocheted off her head and quickly shielded herself with her arms. Wufei leapt back as if he had been sitting on a giant spring. As she peeked out from under her arms, ready to throw something at him for making such a flimsy wind-stop, he grabbed her arm and yanked her to her feet, away from the entrance.

"What the hell-??"

Wufei clasped a hand over her mouth, his intense obsidian eyes scanning the dark form now blocking the entrance. Amy got the message and shut up very quickly. Large brown eyes searched the cave over top of Wu's hand.

Something big was out there. Big-ass big. Bigger than the saber-toothed beast. Fuck.

She pressed back against Wufei, opting to retreat further back into the cave, but pushing against him was as fruitful as kicking the Great Wall of China with bunny slippers. Squirming out from behind his hand, Amy glared over her shoulder at him. He was squinting, trying to get a better look at the animal. Rolling her eyes, she sagged back against his arm and chest. Great, just great. Godzilla had just dropped by and her partner had just turned into an animal watcher. She made a mental note to pop him in the nose if- when they got through this little episode.

Unexpectedly, he sighed faintly and stepped to the side. And Amy's butt obtained a lovely bruise from the cave floor.

"It's all right, onna. It's too big to get in. Anyways, it's a herbivore." Wufei took a step toward the entrance, watching the creature as it snuffled at the cave. His studious gaze quickly became a wide-eyed eep when a particularly large snowball collided with his ear. When he regained muscle control, he hissed a nasty Chinese oath and whirled to find Amy scraping up another handful of snow. He smirked and ducked her next throw, kneeling to prepare ammunition of his own.

Amy really didn't feel like hanging around to see what a good aim a Gundam pilot had. Referring to her chicken instincts, she leapt to her feet and took flight, heading for a narrow crack she remembered seeing at one point. With any luck, it wouldn't dead-end on her. Ha. She grimly bit her thumb at her luck. A snowball splatted against the wall beside her head as she slipped into the fissure. Well, that was probably the extent of my luck this week. Expecting to be verily slain within .5 seconds, she disappeared into the dark tunnel beyond.

Wufei's smirk widened as he glanced up to see Amy pop into the fissure. He took the liberty of using the remaining snow to form two more snowballs, took a small flashlight from the remaining pack, and followed her into the narrow tunnel. Moments later, the fire's light fell away, leaving him in hazy darkness broken only by the flashlight`s dull beam, which he pointed toward the ground. Silently stalking her, he extended one hand before him to locate any friendly stalactites that might happen to be lurking about. How far does this tunnel go? He didn't expect it to be too much of a trek. Especially not for the final descendant of the elite Dragon Clan.

Not five minutes later, his question was answered when his hand met a rough rock wall. The tunnel dead-ended here. And still no Amy. Strange. . . . He started to turn, as his eyes had mostly adjusted to the lighting situation.

The fine hairs on the back of his neck stood on end moments before an icy steel blade tapped his shoulder. A familiar gloating chuckle echoed coldly in the tunnel. "I have you now, Chang Wufei. You are completely at my mercy this time." There was a brief, but effective pause before she added, "And I don't take prisoners."

Wufei ground his molars together in exasperation and dropped the snowballs. "Onna! It's nearly pitch black in here and you're inexperienced with a sword. You could have decapitated-" Quickly judging distances in his mind, he spun and easily disarmed her. Before Amy knew what hit her, he had completed the 360* spin and her wrists were effectively pinned against the wall at either side of her head. The snowballs, sword, and flashlight wound up on the floor, providing nice illumination for their feet and glinting distantly in their eyes.

"Hey! No fair! Let me up!" Indignant, annoyed, embarrassed, sheepish-what have you-that she had been caught and momentarily bested, Amy squirmed in his grip. Intent on irritating her further, he leaned forward, using the rest of his body to pin her as well. His plan worked perfectly. Further provoked, she squirmed a bit more.

"Um." She quickly discovered that this would not work. Squirming involved hip-wiggling with the rest of her body. And under the current circumstances, certain questionable areas seemed to be rubbing in a very unpartner-like way. Fortunately, it was dark enough to hide her blush.

He didn't move. She growled. He chuckled. She didn't. "You should choose your opponents better, Phoenix. Judge advantages and disadvantages cautiously. And never underestimate anyone."

"I don't need a lecture from you, Dragon-boy." She glared when he chuckled at her tone. "I've fought my own fair share of bad guys. If anyone needs the lesson, it's you!"

Wufei blinked. "Oh?"

Without warning, she pressed forward and kissed him soundly on the lips. At first, he froze. When she held the kiss longer, he released her right wrist and instead firmly cupped the back of her head. When he finally released her, she was breathing heavily, her chest rising and falling distinctly. He seemed to be having similar problems. And perhaps it was just her imagination, but she imagined she felt a rigid pressure against her groin.

Wufei observed her uncertainly for a time. She refused to look away first, meeting his obsidian gaze with complacent eyes. Finally, an ethereal smile touched his lips. "Maybe." And he pressed her against the wall again, claiming her lips with his own. Hmmmm, so that bulge wasn't her imagination. His hands pressed against the rough rock wall on either side of her head and her own hands smoothly traveled his arms.

Suddenly, his entire body stiffened and he jerked away. Shocked, Amy fell forward into his arms. Lucky for her-and him-he reflexively caught her. But when she quirked a brow and looked up to search his face, his eyes were narrowed and focused on the wall behind her.

"Ummm, Wuf-"

"Quiet." He released her and crept closer to the wall, ignoring her perfectly executed face-fault. Nimble fingers swept across the chunky rock, searching.

After multiple alternating eyebrow quirks, Amy fetched the flashlight and pointed it at the wall. What could possibly be so interesting? She had never heard of a guy going cold turkey like that-actually, she wouldn't have thought it was possible. Geez . . . men. . . .

"Bring that light over here," he murmured absently. Well, at least he wasn't calling her "onna" anymore. Making a big, hairy deal about it, she trundled closer and focused the beam on the spot which held his interest so tenaciously. But when she saw it, she froze.

Wufei turned, a small smile on his face. And gently clapped her free-swinging jaw closed for her. Good man. "I think we may have located a Griffin base. . . ."

She remembered to blink. "Wow . . . all the way down here. They really didn't want to take any chances, did they?"

Aaaaall the way down here, in a tiny, pitch-back fissure in a nearly indiscernible cavern on a precarious ledge in the middle of nowheres land on an uninhabited, seemingly mundane little planet, someone-hopefully Griffin-had installed a keypad. Veddy interesting. And Wu and Amy were just nosy enough to try to drop by for a visit.

"Okay; go back to the main cavern and get your lock picks. And get my pack. . . . I assume you found it since you seem to have acquired my sword." She silently acquiesced and began to trot off.

Wufei called out "Wait-" She sighed and paused, turning at her shoulder. "Look out for the sword; don't trip over it." She frolicked over the sword and continued on her merry way. "Hey, put out the fire and bring your pack too . . . if you can handle them both." She ignored his slightly derisive tone and moved toward the entrance again. "Oh! And Amy. . . ?"

As she slowed her gait, he hurled a snowball, chuckling when he heard it make contact.

† † † † † † † † † † † † † †