Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ Night's Redemption ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own either Gundam Wing

"blah" speaking

/blah/ thoughts

`blah' telepathy

 

-

 

Duet sat in the small alcove atop the apartment building she had claimed as her own, combing her damp but clean hair. It had been a few weeks since the last time she had been able to wash it and it felt oh so nice to be able to wear it down, if only for a few minutes. /How much longer can I keep up this disguise?/ she thought, hands falling into her lap as she stared off into the distance. She then shivered, despite the warm air, remembering the dream she'd had last night. The only images she could recall were two figures, both with long hair, one with amethyst eyes and black hair and the other with cobalt blue eyes and chestnut-colored hair. Both were looking for her, but one was searching to protect while the other was searching to destroy. And she didn't know which was which. /Oh, Father, Sister, how I wish I could talk to you right now!/ She sighed, knowing the futility of that request. Father Mendelssohn and Sister Katherine were dead, and had been for the past two years, along with everyone else from the orphanage. It had been a miracle that Duet had chosen that particular night to sneak out.

 

"What if I hadn't, though?" she whispered, tears starting to form. "Could I have stopped whoever did it? Could I have saved someone, anyone?" The tears now fell, sliding gently down her face. She angrily wiped them away. "Don't dwell on it, Duet. It's the past and there is nothing you can do to alter it. Survive like they would have wanted you to." She straightened her shoulders and started to part her hair, forming multiple small braids which she then secured to her head and covered with a baseball cap. Too many gangs knew of her long hair but she didn't want to cut or dye it; just as her name and necklace were her only links to her mother, so was her hair her only link back to the only people she had ever called family. Fishing out her sunglasses, she crawled out of her small space, stomach growling.

 

She made her way down the fire stairs, dropping the last few yards to land on her feet. She quickly ran, not wanting anyone to catch sight of her, making her way to a small market. The security there was laughable; she could get enough food there to last her a few days, if she was careful. And the weather felt nice; maybe she would be able to sleep in the park tonight. Sleeping in the trees always made her feel … at home. A feeling she couldn't get even when she had slept in her bed at the orphanage. Quickly stealing the food, thankful that she had found the baggy sweatshirt and loose jeans she now wore, she made her way to the park, sitting down on one of the huge piles of rocks to eat. A robin flew over and she fed it the remaining crumbs of her sandwich. It cocked its head at her, hopping closer.

 

`How fares, Bright Star?' The robin hopped onto her outstretched hand.

 

`As it always fares, little flyer. Have you taunted any cats today?' Duet smiled at the bird.

 

The robin fluffed its feathers, settling down in the palm of her hand. `I always taunt the cats. My chicks will learn that skill today.' The robin hopped to the edge of her fingers, preparing to take off. `Clear sky's, Bright Star.' It flew off, disappearing amongst the trees.

 

`And gentle wind to you, my friend.' Duet smiled, glad she still had friends. Although it had come as quite a shock when she realized she could hear the animals. They didn't exactly talk to her, more like they thought at her. But that wasn't quite right either. Duet shook her head, smiling, as her other friends began to gather round.

 

-

 

"So this is the search area, Heero?" Quatre asked as he looked over the printout he had been handed.

 

"Aa. Here's a copy of all the data we were handed." Heero gave a folder to each of them. "She's spent her whole life in New York so the probability of her having left the area is slim. Also, she's been living on the streets for the past two years, so who knows what sort of physical condition she's in now." Quatre looked at Heero, a small smile forming. Heero noticed it as he handed out their communication units. "What?" he growled, folding his arms.

 

Quatre's face lit into a full grin. "Oh, it's just nice to see you opening up. Duo's been good for you." Heero felt his face start to flush for the second time that day. Quatre laughed, enjoying Heero's reaction. "Oh yes, he's definitely what you needed."

 

"To think I would live to see Heero blush." Wufei shook his head in amazement as he opened his folder. "When was this picture taken?" he held up the photo of Duet.

 

Heero opened his mouth to answer when the door to their apartment slammed open, Duo's voice echoing from the entryway. "Pizzas here! Come and get it while you can!" The others headed into the kitchen, Sally staying behind to look over the medical information they had on Duet. She frowned when she looked at the list of the enzymes in Duets blood.

 

"Heero, did you take a good look at all of the data?" she asked, walking into the kitchen. The boys were all busy trying to claim their pieces of the pizza. Heero looked up after placing his slice on a plate.

 

"Not a close look at the medical data. What did you find?" Heero headed over, placing his plate down and taking the paper Sally held out to him.

 

"Take a look at the list of enzymes. These here," she pointed at the list, "are not found in a humans blood. In fact, this one here is used to aid in the digestion of blood. Whatever she is, she isn't fully human." The boys looked at her and then at each other. The need to find Duet just became more urgent.