Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ Night's Redemption ❯ Chapter 15 ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own either Gundam Wing or Weiß Kreuz

"blah" speaking

/blah/ thoughts

`blah' telepathy

 

-

 

Heero walked over to where Duo sat, brushing a hand against his cheek, a smile forming when he felt the faint stubble. "Koibito, what's bothering you?"

 

Duo angled his head, nuzzling the palm of Heero's hand. "When that fight was going on, just before we ended up in the basement of that house, Duet and I both sensed someone else, remember?" Heero nodded, waiting for him to continue. Duo swallowed before speaking again. "When that … when the shadows peeled away from that guy, it wasn't … Duet didn't do that." His voice dropped to a whisper, his eyes pleading with Heero to understand what he was saying. "I did it."

 

Heero froze. "What do you mean?"

 

"I made those shadows move," Duo whispered, one hand reaching up to clasp the hand caressing his cheek. "But shadows can't move that way." Duo looked out, not seeing anything as he attempted to wrap his mind around what had happened.

 

"The power to command the shadows is something any Night Walker has." Salman glanced at the braided American. "I can smell Night Walker power in you."

 

Duo exploded out of the chair, Heero falling back a few steps at the sudden movement. "But I'm human!"

 

"Yes, you are." Salman chewed on his bottom lip as he ground up the sangualia. On the sofa Shiva shifted once more, settling into another position.

 

`He is human and yet he is also related to Bright Star.' Thor glanced at Salman before staring at Duo. `We learned how it was possible just before fighting the wolves and arriving on this side of the barrier. This is the first time we've been able to relax and explain. So of course we don't have the energy to transform and tell them ourselves.'

 

Salman snorted. `You could always find your bondmates and bring them back here.'

 

`No.' Shiva interrupted Thor. `We mustn't let the Silven know just who Bright Star is yet. There will be those associated with the Silven, humans for the most part, that will not want things to change. For her safety we must stay silent.'

 

Salman gave the two of them a hard look. `So you know about the factions within the Silven. I'm not surprised to find them echoed on the other side. What they don't realize is that those factions are the reason we need to bring down the barrier.' He sighed, ignoring the looks the humans were giving him. `The explanation better be good, though. It's taxing me to block that human's anxiety from Golden Gift.'

 

`What do you know of the Klamert clan?' Shiva continued, still not letting Thor speak.

 

"They are the only clan left on this side, the Silven have a treaty with them and so far the peace has lasted. What does clan Klamert have to do with this human," Salman nodded in Duo's direction, "and Bright Star?" He spoke aloud for everyone else's benefit.

 

Thor continued with the explanation, both he and Shiva desperate to convey the information before they couldn't fight the need to bond. Salman repeated his words near verbatim.

 

"So," Duo's voice cracked. "So you're telling me that a thousand years ago, give or take, Duets vampiric father and his human brother were born. A human brother that just happens to be my ultimate grandfather." Salman nodded. Duo turned around to face Heero. "This has just been one of my weird dreams and I'll wake up in our bed, right?"

 

"Koibito," Heero hugged Duo, wishing he could say what Duo needed to hear. "You know I won't willingly lie to you."

 

Duo huddled in his embrace, clutching Heero close. "Why oh why did I ever ask you to do that?"

 

Heero chuckled. "Because we needed honesty in our relationship? Especially after, well, you know." Heero rubbed Duo's back, easing some of the tension there.

 

"So Quat's a quarter elvish and I'm related to the vampires and I've got some of their nifty powers. Figure that I finally find my family and they're all bloodsuckers?" Duo's muffled voice filtered up from Heero's shoulder.

 

Wufei coughed into his fist. "And what else would Shinigami have? Salman, how much longer until the blüt is ready?"

 

Salman looked up. "Maybe another five minutes." On the sofa behind Sally Duet began to stir.

 

`You'll need to hold her down, I can feel the thirst in her.' Shiva's fur fluffed out as the waves of desire battered him.

 

`We don't have much time left.' Thor shifted, his fur now rising, reacting to both Duet and the growing proximity of his bondmate. Salman repeated what they said, wishing his bondmate could join them again.

 

Wufei stood, rapidly making his way over to where Duet lay, Heero and Duo closing in from the other side. Heero inched his way around the sofa, maneuvering to stand at Duet's head. "We should get her to sit up."

 

"For when she needs to drink," Wufei nodded, agreeing with Heero's assessment. "Heero, you take her arms. Duo, you handle her legs. I'll make sure she can't bite us." The two agents went into action, obeying Wufei's orders. They managed to get Duet into a sitting position, Heero sliding between her back and the back of the sofa. He brought her arms behind her, bracing them in a hold. Duo straddled her thighs, putting his full weight on them, hands braced on her hips. Wufei knelt on Duets left, taking up the rest of the space on the small sofa. Duo looked at their positions and began to snicker. "Maxwell, now what?" Wufei asked, shooting him a disgusted look.

 

Duo continued to snicker as he pushed down, using not only his weight but his strength as well. After a few seconds he regained enough composure to answer Wufei. "Just look at us `Fei. We look like we're about to do something very kinky."

 

Heero chuckled as he caught Wufei's expression. "He has a point Chang. Technically we are about to…"

 

"Don't finish that sentence, please." Wufei's mouth looked pinched, his eyes showing his disgust. "I don't know which of you is worse." In their combined hold Duet stirred, her eyes moving behind closed lids as she neared consciousness. Both Duo and Wufei watched, tension creeping into their bodies. At their silent prompting, Heero tightened his hold.

 

"How much longer Sal?" Duo stared intently at Duets face, knowing he was in the greatest danger of being bit. His eyes shifted color as the shadows in the corner of the room swirled in time with his apprehension.

 

Sally opened her mouth to answer just as Duet's eyes snapped open, a scream tearing from her throat.

 

-

 

Omi leaned back, slumping in the chair, his arms crossed as he glared at the computer screen. /Nothing. Not a thing on any of them./ He upped his glare, silently blaming the inanimate object before him.

 

"Haven't found anything?" Omi jerked upright, surprised to hear Ken's voice.

 

"No," he growled out, frustrated. "And Aya couldn't find where they entered either." Omi rubbed the back of his neck, trying to ease the tension. "Except for those plants, nothing is missing."

 

"Yeah, it doesn't make any sense. If we didn't know they'd been here then nothing inside would have tipped us off."

 

"Military." Yohji joined the conversation from across the room. He had been studying the tape ever since Aya informed him of their unexpected visitors. "Look, they're moving in a precise formation, keeping the unconscious person, which I believe is female, in the center." He squinted, peering at the grainy image before him. "Any luck identifying the uniforms?"

 

"No. Nothing on the people, on the uniforms, on how they could get in here, on why out of everything they'd take just a handful of plants, not a damn thing on any of it!" The keyboard rattled as Omi slammed his fist down.

 

"Easy chibi." Yohji rose from his chair, stretching to ease the kinks in his back. "Look, we've had a long night, even before coming home and finding this," he waved at the TV. "Let's get to bed and deal with this in the morning."

 

"Agreed." The three members jumped slightly as Aya spoke behind them. "We're not going to find anything more tonight and we need to open the shop tomorrow." He met each of their gazes. "Rest and we'll deal with this problem with a clearer head. Yohji, you and Ken are opening." Yohji grumbled, complaining to Aya's back as he followed the redhead up the stairs.

 

Omi shut the computer off after saving his work. When he turned around, Ken was still nearby, studying the flickering image on the TV. "Ken-kun?"

 

Ken thrust his hands into his pockets. "That person, the one with the braid."

 

Omi glanced at the screen. "Which one?" he asked, voice serious.

 

"The one with the uniform." Ken's brow creased as he thought. "What color would you say his eyes are?"

 

Omi leaned closer. "Are you sure that's a guy?" Ken didn't answer, mind too involved in putting the puzzle pieces together. "They almost look blue but they have a hint of purple in them. Why?" He wondered what clue the brunette had stumbled on that Yohji, the former private eye, had missed.

 

"Go back a few frames and then forward. Tell me what you see."

 

Confused, Omi complied, gasping as realization struck. "They change from purple to dark blue!" Omi frowned. "Trick of the light?"

 

Ken shook his head. "I already thought of that. See," Ken leaned over, replaying the short segment, "the light remains constant on his face and he isn't turning his head to create different shadows." He huffed in frustration. "I've heard of eyes changing color but it's usually linked to the emotions of the person. The greater the emotions the greater the change. But even then the eyes stay in the same color family."

 

Omi shook his head. "Add it to the list of things we need to figure out. Come on Ken-kun, let's get some sleep."

 

Ken nodded absently as he shut off the TV. "I know there's something more, something I've forgotten," he mumbled, too low for Omi to hear. The two made their way upstairs and to their respective beds. None of the members of Weiß noticed the small bug placed in the upper corner of the room, recording and transmitting everything its beady little electronic eye saw.

 

―

 

Nagi sat before his computer, experiencing the same frustration as Omi. Crawford had ordered him to find the girl in his vision after Schuldig transferred the image of her from Crawford's mind to Nagi's. He had looked in every database he could think of, breaking into not only Kritiker's computers but Estet's as well. Yet still he found nothing about that girl. And Crawford hadn't given him many clues, just the image of the girl and the fact that she was fifteen years old. With no nationality to help narrow the search, or even a family name, Nagi felt as though he was flying blind. Sighing in disgust he shut the monitor off, leaving the auto-search running. A vague uneasiness hovered in the back of his mind as he went to bed. /One of the files I looked at tonight has changed since the last time I saw it,/ he mused as he sat at the edge of his bed. He yawned, the day's activities catching up to him. /Training to control my new power and then that search, it's no wonder I'm so tired./ As he lay down a damp nose touched his left hand followed by a tongue.

 

`What troubles you Bondmate?'

 

Nagi gathered the small form into his arms. `There is no need for you to worry about it, Thoth.' A faint rumble came from the ame-neko, a demand to share. Nagi sighed as he gave in. `Crawford ordered me to locate someone but I'm having trouble doing so.'

 

Thoth shifted around, purring, making himself more comfortable. `What does he want this person for?'

 

`She's going to bring about our new world.' Nagi stared at the far wall, his mind voice filled with wonder. `Crawford didn't say how she'll do it, though.'

 

`Does he mean to kill her?'

 

Nagi shook his head. `Schuldig would have sensed that. No, Crawford wants her alive and under our protection and control.' He scratched the ame-neko's slender chin. `Why are you so interested?'

 

Thoth fell silent, his purring dying down, blocking their speech thread as he debated. Nagi felt the wall rise between them, recognizing the ame-neko's need for privacy. After a few minutes the wall came down, their conversation resumed. `Is this the person you are looking for?' An image flashed in Nagi's mind.

 

He bolted upright, accidentally squeezing his arms together. "How?" he blurted aloud.

 

`Listen to me very carefully Bondmate You must not harm her. You must not frighten her. If she is not allowed to perform her task then our world is dead.' Thoth shifted, his front paws braced on Nagi's chest as he locked eyes with the teenager. `Light Hope, do not remove her from her protectors.'

 

Nagi's eyes widened at Thoth's tone. `Who is she?'

 

`Someone who will either reunite our world or destroy it utterly.'

 

Nagi shivered, now understanding Crawford's laughter. /No matter what Weiß does, the world as we know it will change./ `Alright Thoth,' he reassured his bondmate, `I'll make sure she is not taken from her current protectors. However, if she leaves them on her own,' he mentally shrugged. `We'll have to work hard to keep this from Crawford.'

 

Thoth resumed his purring as he butted his head against Nagi's. `Dark Destroyer sees what he wishes to, not everything that he could. His bondmate will have to provide a lot of balance.'

 

/I wonder if I'll be able to meet her. It would be nice to talk to someone my own age that can understand what it is like to be different./ Nagi sighed wistfully as he sank into the welcome embrace of his bed, blankets covering him at his mental command.

 

Thoth watched his bondmate, guarding him as he drifted off. /Maybe you will bondmate. Maybe you will be able to speak with Bright Star./