Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ Night's Redemption ❯ Chapter 19 ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own either Gundam Wing or Weiß Kreuz
“blah” speaking
/blah/ thoughts
`blah' telepathy
 
 
/Heero, thank you for making me practice as much as you did./ Duo easily ran through the dark maze, unerringly choosing his path, Duet and Kali close behind him. Just before the shadows covered them, Kali had shifted to her feline form and now perched on Duet's left shoulder.
 
A slight tug from Duet veered them towards Schwarz's current house.
 
“Um, cuz, this wasn't our stop.” Duo looked around as they stepped out from the shadows.
 
“I know.” Duet grabbed a bag and ran into a room, Duo following on her heels, cursing under his breath. “I need to get some things for Light Hope; he won't be returning here himself.”
 
Taking a deep breath, Duo forced himself to calm down. He searched the room for any bugs, pleased when he found none. “So, what did Nagi have to decide?”
 
“So that's his human name.” Duet sighed as she closed the now full bag. “To obey Dark Destroyer or not. If he had obeyed and attempted to help kidnap me then Thoth would have killed himself, taking Nagi as well. If he chose to disobey then Dark Destroyer would attempt to kill Nagi.” She looked around the small room. “This is the only family he's ever had and he had to choose between this and Thoth's life.”
 
“Shit. Die knowing you stayed true to your family or live knowing you stayed true to yourself.” Duo whistled as he shook his head. “And he chose Thoth. Will he make it?”
 
“I don't know.” Duet shrugged the bag on, throwing it over her right shoulder. “I'm all set here.”
 
Duo nodded as he summoned the shadows once more, continuing their journey.
 
 
Johan walked through the dark maze, grumbling to himself, black hair bobbing with his steps, not paying any attention to his surroundings. He stepped from the shadows, took another step forward when the barrel of a gun pressed against his temple.
 
Johan froze, his dark blue eyes widening. /Idiot! You know better than that! Always, always check before leaving the shadows!/
 
“Who are you?” A cold voice broke through his musings, sending shivers down his spine.
 
“Ah, sorry, didn't know anyone was here; I'll just be going now.” He tried to call the shadows only to have them ripped from his control.
 
“I asked a question,” the voice growled, barrel grinding into his flesh.
 
“Johan,” he squeaked, “my name is Johan.” /What in Hades is going on? Only Night Walkers can command the shadows and all of them know me. And no Night Walker would use a gun! The last human descendant died over thirty years ago and there haven't been any more twins born. So who…?/ A second voice spoke up, this one feminine. Johan looked around but couldn't see anyone, not even the person holding the gun.
 
Duet spoke in halting Arabic, “He is safe. Kali,” she searched for the proper word, getting frustrated when it eluded her.
 
“Alright,” Duo replied in Japanese, pulling the gun away but not putting it away.
 
Johan sighed in relief as the gun left his temple. He massaged the area as he turned to look at the person responsible. And gaped in astonishment. /Children! Both of them are children! I am never going to live this down./ Then he noticed the color of their eyes.
 
Purple. They both had purple eyes.
 
And a black ame-neko with deep blue eyes sat on the female's shoulder.
 
“But no Night Walker has purple eyes; only those from the … core … family …” Johan's voice trailed off as the implications sank into his brain. “Merciful Darkness, you came through the barrier.”
 
Duo's eyes narrowed as he considered the person before him. “What do you know about the barrier?”
 
Johan paid no attention to the young man, stunned by his realization. /Through the barrier. One of them broke through the barrier, taking the other with them. One of them is the person we've been waiting for all these millennia for. But which?/ Duo's growl once more cut through Johan's inner musings.
 
“Do you always take this long when answering?”
 
“Huh?” Johan blinked as he focused on the long-haired boy standing before him.
 
Duo sighed, holstering his gun. “That would be a yes. Look, I don't know where you were going but you're going to come with us and tell all of us what you know.” He pulled out his headset from an inner pocket, hooking it around his right ear as he turned it on.
 
“…ight this is Agent Day. Do you copy?”
 
“Read you loud and clear,” Duo answered, eyebrows rising at Heero's timing.
 
“Situation under control. Return to base.”
 
“Slight complication on this end, additional guest arriving.” Duo eyed Johan as he talked to Heero; the Night Walker still looked flabbergast. “Refreshments for three requested. New guest verified by ame-neko.” Johan jerked as he heard the last sentence, his gaze locking on Kali. The remainder of the conversation flowed over him unheard.
 
“Five minutes. Out.” Duo took the headset off, putting it back in his pocket.
 
Johan stared at Kali then Duet, the pieces almost audibly clicking together. “You're the one that came through the barrier. You've finally been born. Blessed Night, we can finally become a complete clan once more.”
 
“And you can explain this back at base. Duet, you and Kali go first. Johan, you're next; I'll follow you. You remember the way Duet?”
 
“Yeah.” She eyed Johan, wondering if they would get any coherent answers from the scatterbrained Night Walker. Duet shoved her concern to one side as she summoned the shadows, swiftly making her way through the dark maze.
 
 
Une froze at Sebastian's words. “How much time do we have?”
 
Sebastian ran a hand through his dark locks. “At best, three months. At worst … maybe a week.”
 
“So,” Une tapped a finger on her desk as her mind raced, “I have one week to prepare for either complete destruction or a massive flood of new people, from all three races.” She reached over and stabbed the intercom button. “Nancy, get me Vice Minister Darlian. Then contact all the other Ministers and arrange an emergency meeting. Schedule it to happen in four hours.” Une released the button, not waiting for confirmation. “Lord Sebastian, I must request your presence at that meeting. We'll need to prove to the Ministers that the other two races exist.” She stood, Treize moving back to allow her room.
 
“And we'll need a representative from the Silven.” She paced behind the desk, Treize wisely staying out of her way. “Can Milliardo contact Lord Mikael?”
 
“I'll ask him now; he should be done with the firing range.” Treize bowed slightly before leaving the office and the whirlwind of preparations.
 
 
Duet ran, eager to put more distance between herself and the Night Walker, Johan. /I don't care if I am half Night Walker, I don't like the way it makes me feel!/
 
`Courage Bondmate. You must overcome this.'
 
`Easy for you to say,' Duet replied, thankful that she still had her speed even when in the shadowy maze. `You don't have the need to drink.'
 
Kali nuzzled Duets cheek as the girl ran, offering the only comfort she could. A minute later they reached the kitchen of their safe house. Duet stayed in the shadows as she looked around. Heero had just put away the pitcher of blüt, three full glasses sitting on the counter. As he closed the `fridge, Duet reached, moving some of the shadows in front of him.
 
Heero stilled when he saw movement, a hand creeping towards his gun. And smirked when the dancing shadows formed a “D”. He straightened up and turned around. “It's safe.”
 
Duet stepped out, muscles trembling as she struggled to remain standing. Grabbing one of the glasses, Heero quickly moved to help her. “Drink,” he pressed the concoction into her hand. “You've pushed yourself hard today.” She gulped the contents, face screwing in disgust. “Duo said five minutes, what happened?”
 
“Nothing.” Duet leaned back against the wall as her energy returned. “I just didn't want to stay in there for long.” She closed her eyes as her muscles stopped protesting. “Did Nagi …?”
 
“He'll live,” Heero reassured her.
 
Duet sighed in relief, opening her now green eyes again. “Good. I managed to get most of his things. Which room is he in?”
 
“Quatre and Trowa's for now. Who's the additional guest? I take it that whoever it is, they're a Night Walker.”
 
Duet paused in the doorway. “Yes, a Night Walker called Johan. He … knows what I am.” Heero nodded as he waited for the other two to arrive, Duet leaving the kitchen after speaking.
 
`Kali, what did he mean about me finally being born?'
 
Kali shifted her feet, unsure how to respond. `Bondmate, you are the only one ever to be born of a Silven and a Night Walker. Wait a little longer and it will be explained.'
 
`Fine,' she grumbled as she stepped into the living room, flinching minutely as the conversation stopped.
 
“Duet,” Quatre smiled in greeting, having recovered most of his energy by now. He then frowned in puzzlement when nobody followed. “Where's Duo?”
 
“Still traveling.” Duet glanced at Sally as she continued across the room. “Is it alright if I put this with Nagi?” She shrugged her shoulder, indicating the bag.
 
Sally nodded, “Just don't wake him.”
 
Duet nodded in acknowledgement as she continued across the room, doing her best to ignore the stares she was getting. As she brushed past Trowa, her eyes flicked back, catching the gaze of the red-head she Saw before. `Are they Thor and Shiva's bondmates?' she asked in a private thread to Kali.
 
`Yes,' Kali replied on the same thread.
 
Pausing just outside the bedroom, Duet carefully considered her next question. `Are they pure-bloods?'
 
`Yes, both of them.'
 
`Good. Now that we have all the races represented maybe we can get some answers.' Duet confidently strode into the room, moving as quietly as a ghost. And halted before planting her foot in the room. “You're not supposed to be awake yet.”
 
“I should also be dead. But it seems Death doesn't want me yet.” Nagi turned back, staring at the ceiling once more. “Why?”
 
Duet shrugged as she walked in, carefully putting the bag down on the small table beside the bed. “Maybe you have something else to do?”
 
Nagi looked back at her as she pulled a chair close. “No; why save me?”
 
Duet examined the floor as she considered. “Because they understand. They all understand what it's like, even Sally. I … managed to get some of your things; I hope I didn't miss anything important.”
 
“Not like I really had anything.” Nagi rolled to his side, pushing himself up, his muscles trembling slightly.
 
“What do you think you're doing?!” Duet hissed, catching the boy before he could fall out of the bed.
 
Nagi glared at the braided girl. “I was promised an explanation; I'm going to get it.”
 
Duet studied his face before sighing. “Fine,” her voice sounded resigned. “But don't expect me to stop Sally once she starts yelling at you. Kali, could you help Thoth? The two of them will regain their energy faster if they stay in contact.”
 
Kali nodded, jumping off Duet's shoulder, changing forms as she did so. Carefully picking up Thoth, she followed Nagi; the dark haired teen was supported by both the wall and Duet.
 
 
Duo stepped from the shadows seconds after Johan, smirking when he saw how Heero had greeted the Night Walker. Holding a gun to his head. After a few quiet snickers Duo took pity on the wide-eyed Night Walker. “Ease up Heero. He's a guest.”
 
“Hn.” Heero carefully uncocked his gun before holstering it.
 
“Merciful Darkness, what is with you people?! Is this how you greet your guests?!?” Johan sputtered, trying to cover up his fright. This time he had looked before leaving the shadows. The human, Heero, had his back to Johan so, like an overconfident fool he had walked out of the shadows. He thought only Silven could move that fast; he'd been proven wrong.
 
“Your drinks.” Heero waved a hand at the counter as he went to stand near the door to the garage. “Can he understand us?” he asked in Arabic, keeping a close watch on Johan.
 
Duo grabbed one of the glasses, quickly draining the contents. “He didn't seem to earlier when Duet spoke it,” he replied in the same language. “Best not push it though. Did she …?”
 
“Yes. In the living room.” The two agents fell into a comfortable silence as they waited.
 
Johan kept silent himself, thinking about the brief conversation he'd overheard. /These humans are extremely cautious and paranoid. More so than any Night Walker I've ever known. Just what happened to them?/ He finished the blüt, savoring the taste. /Made from fresh sangualia; much better than from dried! At least they provide proper refreshments even if their greetings leave a bit to be desired. But I wonder who taught them the technique?/ He placed the empty glass back on the counter. “My thanks. Is there somewhere we can sit while I explain about the barrier?”
 
Duo nodded. “Yeah, down the hallway in the …”
 
“Just what do you think you're doing!?” echoed from the hallway.
 
“… living room,” Duo finished smoothly, eyebrows arching at Sally's shout. “I got a feeling we'd better hurry.”
 
Johan had already begun moving before Duo finished his second sentence, hurrying down the small hallway, followed by Heero and Duo. Johan stumbled to a halt just inside the living room, Duo and Heero breaking to either side as they entered behind him. “Your Highness?” he blurted. “What are you doing here?”
 
 
A/N
Because I was asked so politely (grin), here's the next chapter. Some questions answered, more raised; and the end grows nearer. Thanks to everyone that's reviewed, your words are appreciated! And on that note, please review, critiques welcome; all flames will be used to make hot chocolate!