Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ 100 Views of Dorothy ❯ Can I Play? ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Theme #1: Beat
 
Word Count: 1095
 
Rating: G/K/A
 
Disclaimer: Gundam Wing isn't mine; the rest is. This is written on the 100 themes at beat_of_destiny @ LiveJournal for Dorothy.
 
Quote: “No single-digits allowed.”
 
 
Can I Play? or Beat It
 
“Can I play?” Dorothy asked her cousin. She tossed back her braided pigtail and started to climb up the tree. The two older boys resting on the branches stirred but said nothing. She reached them and repeated her question. “Can I play?”
 
“No single-digits allowed,” the younger boy sneered. “Beat it.”
 
“You always let me play before. What are you playing now?” she persisted.
 
“Nothing for you to know,” Milliardo explained. “Go.” She pulled herself up and settled in the branches.
 
“We always go through this, and you always let me play.”
 
“Beat it, Dorothy,” Treize spoke up for the first time. “We're busy, and silly little girls don't have a place here.”
 
“I'm not a silly little girl!”
 
“You're eight.”
 
“Milliardo's only eleven! He's closer to my age than yours! You have to let me play, or I'll tell Grandfather.”
 
“We go to Academy together, though, Dorothy,” her cousin explained calmly. “We're not `playing.' We're discussing our assignments and battle strategies. Grandfather wouldn't want you listening to that anyway.”
 
She frowned, “I can do that, too.”
 
“Dorothy, beat it!” Treize said with emphasis and started pulling her hands off the branches. Milliardo pushed on her back to slide her off the branch and down the tree.
 
“Stop it!” she whined.
 
“Go!” both boys urged. Treize had a firm grip on her arm as he attempted to pry it off the tree limb. Milliardo started pushing her off the branch harder and harder.
 
“I don't want to go!”
 
“You're just a little girl, Dorothy.” Treize pulled her hands off the branches.
 
“Beat it!”
 
“NO!” Dorothy screamed as Milliardo finally pushed with enough force to unseat her. Treize jumped off his branch with a solid grasp on another, and she only fell a few branches down before he grabbed her wrist with his free hand.
 
“Try to grab another branch,” Treize instructed. Dorothy swung herself a little to grab a limb. Once her cousin was sure she had it, he let go and helped her down to the ground. “Are you hurt anywhere?”
 
“A little sore,” she rubbed where had hit a few branches.
 
“Well, go inside and tell Ms. Kedlin. She'll know something to help that.”
 
“But,” she started to protest and gave Milliardo a glare as he jumped down.
 
“Go.” She looked between the boys and nodded. Treize turned and gave his friend a sharp look as she ran inside.
 
 
“They just kept telling me to `go' and `beat it,'” she pouted as Ms. Kedlin scooped ice cream into her bowl.
 
“When boys get older, they can be like that,” the woman smiled pouring chocolate syrup over it.
 
“Then they shoved me.”
 
“That isn't good. Those boys will get a talking from your grandfather.” She brought the bowl over with sprinkles. Dorothy took it and put the sprinkles on herself.
 
“They won't play with me anymore.”
 
“They're just getting older. They want to be adults, and they think if they stay near you, they'll be seen as children. Don't worry, my pet. They'll still spend time with you when you get older.” She smiled then went to finish her other duties. Dorothy pondered her words as she ate her sundae.
 
They had always had fun playing together. Treize would generally decide the best game to play, and she and Milliardo would go along. They did not spend every day with each other, but they spent most of them. She did not like this aging thing. She did not like change. It had been bad enough when Treize went off to school, now Milliardo joined him, and they were getting closer without her! They got annoyed with her in the past, but they had never pushed her out of a tree. Their words stayed in her mind. “Beat it, Dorothy!” “You're just a silly little girl.” “Beat it!” They tried to get rid of her in the past, but they told her to leave more often now. How would they like it if she told them to beat it? They would not like it at all, and they may stop….
 
Milliardo walked in the kitchen as she finished her last spoonful.
“Did he get rid of you, too?” she asked in her most innocent tone. “Grandfather will want to see you soon.” Milliardo shrugged.
 
“He just wants to talk some girls,” he explained and rolled his eyes. He had yet to pick up his friend's fascination with the opposite sex. He strolled out into the parlor to make other mischief. Dorothy slid off her stool and headed outside. Yes, there was Treize surrounded by a small group of village girls around his age. They were all giggling as he charmed each of them.
 
“Can I play?” she asked as sweetly as possible as she approached. Treize's winning smile lessened slightly.
 
“Dorothy….”
 
“Who's this little girl?” one of the maidens asked.
 
“This is my cousin Dorothy,” he informed reluctantly. He frowned as he looked into the girl's eye and saw her smirk.
 
“Aw, she's so cute. How old is she?” many of them inquired.
 
“She's eight, but I think she's late for her lesson,” he prompted and gestured back to the house.
 
“No, M. Émond could not come today. He's had a family emergency,” she explained keeping her innocent tone.
 
“Well, we're not playing a game here, Dorothy, so you can please go inside!” he requested impatiently gritting the last bit through his teeth.
 
“I wanted to ask the big girls for some advice.”
 
“What?” He seemed surprised.
 
“Oh, what is it?” one of the girls asked.
 
“How can we help?” another questioned.
 
“I like this boy. How do I get pretty for him?”
 
“Is he in your class?” the first young woman inquired.
 
 
“She takes her lessons at home or at the all-girls school,” her cousin answered quickly. “If there really is a boy, who is he?”
 
“I don't think I want to say…” she trailed off and put on a sorrowful look.
 
“Don't make her say, Treize. She doesn't want you harassing the poor boy,” one girl said. “It's okay, dear. We'll help you.”
 
“Yes, we'll help you. We'll do your hair,” another explained.
 
“And pick out an outfit,” one more offered.
 
“We can put some make up on you,” the second added.
 
“And we'll definitely tell you what to say,” one last one assured.
 
“Can you do it now?” Dorothy grinned.
 
“I don't see why not. We're not busy, are we?” They all agreed they were free.
 
“Ladies, I don't mean to butt in, but I'm…” he started.
 
“Treize,” Dorothy said, “beat it.”