Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ 100 Views of Dorothy ❯ The Tale of Dorothy's Birth ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Theme #5: Endless
Word Count: 905
Rating: PG/K+/P
Disclaimer: I don't own Gundam Wing. The rest is mine.
 
The Tale of Dorothy's Birth or Among Endless Noise
 
“I had a bad dream,” Dorothy whimpered as her mother comforted her, holding close against her body.
 
“Night mares are to be expected on such a nasty, stormy night,” her mother whispered into the child's ear. She held the child in her lap as they sat on the large bed in the darkness after the little girl had run into her mother's room. “Tell me about yours.”
 
“Papa went to fight, and he let me visit him. He-he got in a PMS to fight `cuz rebels were getting too close to me…a-and this weird one painted all sorts of colors and like none I've ever seen before came up out of nowhere and sliced him in two!”
 
Mrs. Catalonia held her daughter closely until the sobs subsided. “Your father is an excellent soldier, and you've seen him on the battlefield before. He won't die, darling. It was just a dream.”
 
“What if he doesn't come back this time?” worried Dorothy.
 
“Have I ever told you the story of your birth?” The lass shook her head. “Well, why don't I tell you?” Dorothy nodded enthusiastically.
 
“Well, a few days before I had you, I went to go see your father. He had been away for awhile, and people were spreading rumors about him and another woman.”
 
“What kind of rumors?” the little girl interrupted.
 
“They said…they said he and this other woman were becoming very good, very close `friends,'” her mother explained.
 
“Papa's not allowed to have friends?”
 
“Not female friends that close,” Mrs. Catalonia said.
 
“Oh,” said Dorothy, thoughtful. “I thought you're not supposed to believe all the rumors you hear.”
 
“I never said I believed them. I went to your father to see if they were true. May I continue?” The girl nodded. “Thank you.
 
“So, I went to see your father, and we had a small fight. The woman who was his `friend' had been his `friend' for many years. He insisted he had done nothing to upset me, though, and I was worried he was lying. Well, we talked and worked it out, and Mama felt silly for ever doubting Papa. After we made up, it was time for me to leave; there were rebels getting closer and closer. Papa didn't want your or me getting hurt, so he sent a couple soldiers to get us to safety.
 
“Unfortunately, the rebels didn't get the memo. They thought my escort was your father going to an important meeting with Grandfather or General Noventa or someone. A small group ambushed us while the rest attacked what they thought was Papa's leaderless troupe.” Dorothy gasped. “The soldiers protected me very well, and they kept me safe while they fought. Soldiers fall, though, and to keep you safe, I ended up taking a gun. I fought alongside Papa's soldiers, and since you're so young, I won't go into details.”
 
“But Mama!” whined the child. “I want to hear!”
 
“No. Now, close your eyes while I continue.”
 
“Yes, ma'am,” grumbled the lass.
 
“Now, I was fighting next to the soldiers, though I will say they still kept me toward the back and I was merely shooting when I could get a clear shot without hurting one of my guards. I was so absorbed in keeping myself safe so that you were safe that I did not realize all the excitement made me go into labor. Eventually, one of the soldiers came to see how I was doing, and he started panicking when he saw the mess thinking I had been wounded. I had thought before that the contractions were stress-related, but once he pointed out that my water had broken, I knew you were coming.
 
“The soldiers had already contacted Papa when the rebels first appeared. Now they practically screamed for him and a med over the frequency. I kept shooting as long as I could, but soon the pain overcame me, and the soldiers gave me as much cover as they could. It seemed like forever, but your father finally got there with the doctor. Between the fighting, he held my hand through it all. As I put my screams among the endless noise on that battlefield, you came. I have never been more scared in my life, and I know your father hasn't either. The doctor had to tend to me immediately, and so your father had to hold you while he kept fighting. He fought harder holding you.
 
“We were very worried you'd go deaf or worse from the battle, but miraculously, you didn't. The doctors at the hospital afterward did have to do some work on both of us, but we were mostly unharmed. Your father was actually worse off because he had not bothered with cover in rushing to my side, and he took a lot when he finally got to us, but he recovered right along side me.”
 
Mrs. Catalonia smiled into the darkness. “You're destined for battle, my little one. You were born on a battlefield. Your father protected you with everything. So you see? Your father will always fight hard and he will always return so long as he is fighting to save you.” She looked down and saw that the child had fallen asleep at some point. She tucked the child into bed next to her and closed her eyes, reminding herself that her husband would be safe as long as he was fighting for them.