Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ A Chance to See ❯ Epilogue ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: A Chance to See - Epilogue
Author: Emily, roguegirl@att.net
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: shonen ai in the forms of 1+2+1 and alluded 3+4+3, language, contemplations of death, weird time-shifts and alternate universe situations, EW-OVA paraphrasing -=sweatdrop=-, angst (almost forgot that one)
Notes: "Speech" - 'Thought' - *Emphasis* - [Flashback]
Comments: While I am writing the story, the idea is actually Sharon's. Visit her site at www.zerotwofan.com and take a look around. -=coughdoujincoverscanscough=- It's sorta-kinda a fusion with "It's a Wonderful Life", but since I never saw the second half of the movie, there is no way in hell I could follow it. ^_^ If you like this genre, check out Yamato's "No Need For Heero" in the serious fic section of www.heerosferret.com (it's good; trust me). Without further ado, enjoy.

"One man's life touches so many others, when he's not there it leaves an awfully big hole."

"You've been given a great gift, George. A chance to see what the world would be like without you."

~Clarence, "It's A Wonderful Life"

*~**~*

Heero slowly sat up and blinked. He was back in Wing ZERO's cockpit, underwater and leaning into the safety harness. "ZERO...can you move? This will be your last battle; I promise." Heero turned the power back on and negotiated the suit into a standing position. ZERO was falling apart, but he had things to do. They wouldn't give up just yet.

*~**~*

"I repeat: You're compound is secure, is it not?"

"Of course it is! See yourself just how powerless you truly are!"

"Nimnu ryokai," Heero replied without hesitation. ZERO wasn't doing to good. The first shot shook the entire Gundam. The second caused Wing to lose an arm.

["Niisan, are you lost?"]

The third shot was on the mark, but Wing ZERO couldn't take it anymore as the angel Gundam fell to the ground. Heero heard the shouts of his comrades from faraway, but when the suit crashed to the ground, he still had a mission to accomplish.

*~**~*

"I've killed Mariemaia... I won't have to kill anymore..." Too tired to try to stay conscious, Heero let himself keel over, and briefly felt arms supporting his body before slipping into the void.

*~**~*

Beep...beep...beep...beep...beep...

Heero groaned and opened his eyes. 'I'm in a hospital.'

Beep...beep...beep...beep...beep...

Reaching forward, Heero pulled the various electrodes and sensors off his body. He wasn't dead and didn't plan on dying anytime soon. He smirked at the machines as they started a monotone klaxon. They thought he was dead.

Footsteps were heard hurrying in his direction, and Heero considered jumping out the window, but unfortunately he didn't have a death wish, this time, and Duo wasn't at his side strapping a parachute to his back. 'Duo...'

"Oi, Heero, don't scare me like that! Kuso, I thought you were dead!"

The Japanese pilot turned his head sharply. "Duo..."

"The one and only," the braided pilot allowed an exaggerated grin and a mock bow. Heero smiled slightly in return. He slowly stood up, walking over to the other pilot, and running the back of his hand over Duo's face. 'This is the real Duo. I exist in this world, and Duo only deserves to be happy, now, in this one because I am here and that's what I was destined to do.' "He-Heero? Nani...?"

"Duo...anata tanoshii desu. A-Ai shiteru." Heero placed one hand at the base of Duo's skull, the other cupping the side of his face. "Ai shiteru," he repeated, more surely this time.

Duo's eyes went wide and he blinked owlishly. Heero probably would have laughed under different circumstances, but the utter joy that swept through those violet depths, rapidly replacing the confusion and nearly wiping away Heero's memory of the pure terror they once held in a different world, kept Heero from finding any humor in the situation. Duo's immediate confusion was explainable, anyway. Heero had only been cold-hearted to Duo before, and the braided American had told the shorter-haired pilot that he liked him; Heero just told Duo that he loved him.

"Ai shiteru mo, Heero!" he gushed, and Heero felt himself lose all control as their lips met in a fiery kiss filled with previously denied love and passion.

'My life isn't so bad afterall. Humans make mistakes; it's a natural part of life. Maybe now, we'll both be able to truly begin to live.'

*~**~*

Owari

Eh. Noticed how I hurried the ending? I might go back and fix this one a little more... I'll see the movie first though, neh? Um...for the, like, entire beginning of this part I need to go rewatch EW because I just don't remember what happens in this last scene. -=sweatdrop=- Oh well. Hope you like!