Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ A Change of Scenery ❯ Part two ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

A Change of Scenery: Part Two
by Kai

Disclaimer: Nope, I don't own Gundam Wing - and trust me - the boys are VERY thankful for that fact. I also, sadly, don't own Valdemar or anything in that particular world... that all was created by the wonderfully talented Mercedes Lackey and all her books should be read over and over again until you can recite them word for word in your sleep.

Ratings: NC-17 (sexual content and language) this will likely be the pairing in the future so it'll be the rating for the entire fic

Warnings: Yaoi and language, etc.
 
Pairings: votes were tallied... looks like a 2x3x5 and a 1x4 from here on out.

Summary: This is a cross-over story between the Valdemar Series books by Mercedes Lackey (based in the reign of Queen Selenay, around the Owl
trilogy time) and Gundam Wing. But don't worry, I'm going to be making sure you don't need to know much about the Valdemar books to be able to follow and explain the books, I'll do my best to explain everything in the actual story so it's not confusing to you. Basically something happens and Wufei, and the rest of the guys - though none of them realize the others are also there, end up in the Valdemar world. It's set at the end of Endless Waltz but goes AU right before they destroy their Gundams... I did a lot of research to do this so hopefully you enjoy it!

A Change of
Scenery: Part Two
by Kai
Duo's POV
 
"What the fuck?!"  I was lying on my back in the middle of what looked like a grassy plain.  There was a large piece of Sandrock's leg lying on top of my right leg - okay, lying was a mild way of putting it; it was more like crushing my leg, but hey - I'm not picky - a word's a word after all, so long as it works it's all good.
 
Only it wasn't
 
Because I had been on a satellite in the middle of space and now I was in the middle of a grassy plain.  Because we'd been doing the right thing only the right thing had somehow gone terribly wrong.  Because I had been in top shape, but now I was pretty sure my leg was broken.  Because I had been with the others, subtlety admiring Fei's ass and Tro's legs, and now I was alone under a hunk of metal that should still have been attached to the rest of a large and impressive Gundam.  Because I'd skipped breakfast and I was quickly coming to realize just how much of a stupid move that had been.  Because I didn't know what had happened and the only explanations that popped into my head included time travel or an alternate universe - probably a by-product of all the fanfiction I'd read on the Net.  Because I couldn't see any of the others and I wasn't even sure if they were wherever or whenever I was, or even if they were hurt, dead, or fucking-a-okay.  Because I wanted to cry in pain and frustration but boys don't cry - especially when they're self-proclaimed Gods of Death.
 
I sucked in a deep breath and let it out slowly.  "Okay, get a grip.  One step at a time.  No one seems to be around and I don't have a communications device within reach either so... what that basically means is I'm screwed, and not in the Wufei's-pounding-into-me-Trowa's-underneath-me-fantasy-wannabe-way either."
 
There was a time in my memory when I was six that was to similar to this situation for me to be able to effectively keep the panic away.  Only Sandrock's leg wasn't the dead body of a drunk-pedophile-rapist-wannabe and I wasn't screaming myself hoarse or expecting help to come because I wasn't in the middle of a city of people like I had been then.  There was one thing that was undeniably the same though.  If I wanted to get out from under the weight of the metal I was just going to have to do it myself.  What I needed was a way to make a lever.  There was a solid, square piece of metal near my right shoulder that should be able to provide an axis, all I needed was the piece for the lever.  And I found that on my left about a foot out of reach, above my head.  I needed something that would give me an extra foot of reach.  I struggled into a bit of a sitting position ignoring the increased throbbing of my leg, and then proceeded to strip off my jean jacket.  Now I had to weigh it with something, somehow... I glance down and the light shone off my cross.  Taking it off I buttoned the sleeves of the jean jacket together and looped the necklace around the joined part to add weight and make the connection between the two more solid.
 
Once finished I laid back down and began the fun game of loop-the-jacket-over-the-big-piece-of-metal-while-looking-at-it-upside-down .  "Here stick, stick, stick.  Good stick, stick, stick.  Come to papa.  Come on baby... be nice to Duo and Duo'll take real good care of you, I promise.  Here stick, stick, stick.  Good stick, stick, stick.  Nice stick, stick, stick..."  It took about ten tries before I hooked it and about twenty tries before I managed to get it in my hand without accidentally knocking it away.
 
It's surprising how something so seemingly easy could be so blasted annoying and tiring at the same time.  I took a moment to try and catch my breath and give the muscles of my arms a much needed rest.  Once my arms stopped feeling like they were made of jello I place the square metal piece a couple of inches away from my leg and slid the metal bar over it and into the small space my leg had created between Sandrock's leg and the ground.  Carefully I wrapped my jean jacket around the end of the lever that was in the air.  Then I sort of hesitated because I knew it was going to hurt and that I was going to have to force my body to do what I needed it to do through that pain.
 
Gritting my teeth I decided to go for it, after all, the lever and axis seemed to be made of gundanium so neither should break right away anyway... So I literally threw my upper body on top of the lever, twisting my hips in an extremely painful move to get my left leg in on the action.  In doing so I sort of somersaulted over the lever while twisting and pulling my pinned leg out when the piece of Sandrock lifted a bit.
 
*********************
 
I blinked my eyes open to find myself sprawled on my side and my body aching in ways it shouldn't.  On the bright side I was no longer underneath a big hunk of metal.  On the not-so-bright-side, the sky was a great deal darker - which meant that I had blacked out.
 
Slowly I rolled onto my back, hissing in pain, and then sat up.  My eyes didn't want to look at my leg, but I didn't have much choice.  If I didn't take care of it, sure as heck no one else would.  Releasing the knife at my wrist, I used it to start slicing my pants, not quite looking at my leg as I did it.  The material wasn't blood stained so that was a good thing... but that could mean internal bleeding which was a bad thing.  A very bad thing.  I sliced the pant leg until mid-thigh and then cut it horizontally as far as I could without lifting my leg.  And somehow I still managed to avoid looking at it.  Oh, the glorious wonders of the mind.  I put the knife back and then I gathered my courage and gritted my teeth while I forced myself to look at my leg as I pushed the material away.  "Ewwwwwww. That's so gross!"
 
The entire leg from my knee to my ankle sock was swollen with a crazy mix of blues, purples, reds, yellows, and greens.  The skin wasn't broken but that couldn't have made it look much worse.  It was a mess, and if I didn't want it to become an even greater mess, I was going to have to pull a Heero-pain-what pain?-Yuy.  Shit!
 
I needed splints... and all I had was metal.  Ouch.... if I wrapped the metal lengths in strips from my jean jacket though and used the material from my pants as bandages it might not be so bad.  So that's what I did.  I had to drag myself around a bit to get pieces of metal close to the right length, which hurt like being repeatedly stomped on by Heavy Arms, but I managed somehow.  I wrapped up the metal as well as I could, cut the rest of the pant leg off and into long strips, and then I put some of the jean jacket into my mouth, took a deep breath, and set my leg.  IT was a fight to stay conscious until I had the splints secure.  Once they were secure, I couldn't do anything to keep the darkness away.
 
*********************
 
When I woke up next, it was dark and chilly but at least my leg wasn't quite as painful as it had been.  In the distance I heard something howl.  Now, I was a colony brat, but I had enjoyed the time I had spent on Earth in the natural environment. I'd also taken the time to learn a few things when I had had some time - contrary to popular belief I didn't just read Manga or comic books.  One of the things I'd learned was that an animal's howls could seem very close when they were actually a long way off but that wasn't always the case.  I wasn't capable of fighting or running, I had no weapons except for my usually set of knives and a few scattered pieces of metal, and I had no shelter to hide in.  "Well, doesn't this just suck."  I leaned back against what was left of Sandrock.  "I only really believe in the God of Death because I know he exists, but if there happens to be a God or Goddess out there who's so bored you're actually listening to this I wouldn't object to a little help here."  There was another howl in the distance and I couldn't help but roll my eyes.  "Yeah, didn't think so but what the heck; it never hurts to exhaust all possibilities."
 
Taking a deep breath I grabbed a hooked piece of metal that wasn't quite short enough to be a cane and painfully got myself to my feet.  I had to come up with something that would at least give me some sort of a fighting chance.  I began collecting pieces of metal putting them into two piles.  One was for things I could throw and the other was pieces with a edge sharp enough that I could use it as a knife.  The piles were pretty small and I was exhausted within about an hour.  Sweat was pouring off me, and I knew I was going to be chilled all too soon.  It never seemed to surprise me that something as simple as broken leg could take so much energy out of you.
 
I had just paused for a breather when the hair on the back of my neck stood up.  I swiveled sharply on my good leg to put my back to the hunk of Sandrock while raising the piece of metal I'd been using as a cane defensively in front of me.
 
"Peace, young one, I mean you no harm."
 
I stared, I admit it.  Few people can sneak up on me like this one had.  The voice had been harsh but something about the person made me think 'woman'.  She was dressed entirely in black, complete with a black veil over her face.  Her arms were well-muscled which meant that she could more than likely use the sword on her hip and the knives she had hidden, and though she held her hands out, palms opened and facing me, her stance showed me that she would be ready to fight in an instant if she needed to.  She was no stranger to battles.
 
I let myself relax a small bit, just enough to show her I was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt.  "Alright, let's say I accept that for the moment.  Mind if I ask you a few questions?"
 
She lowered her hands, but kept her hand away from her sword hilt.  "You may ask but it doesn't mean I'll answer."
 
I couldn't help it, I laughed and relaxed a bit more.  "Good enough but same goes for me - it's not a one-sided thing, deal?"
 
I swear that her ice-blue eyes twinkled, "Deal."
 
"Who are you and what are you doing here?"
 
"I am Kal'enedral, and I am here because the Star-Eyed bid me to come to your aid."
 
Blink, blink.  "Ooooooooookay.  What does Kal'enedral mean?  I mean, you say it like it's a title not a name... and who is this Star-Eyed person and how'd he or she know I needed help?"
 
Her voice was surprisingly calm, but she seemed amused.  "You're right.  Kal'enedral is a title of sorts.  It is the name given to a person who chooses the path of the warrior, to take the Oath to be Kal'enel, the Star-Eyed Goddess's swordsworn, and to fight for the Clans.  As to how the Star-Eyed knew you needed help - well you prayed to any who would listen for help, and she chose to listen."  Gracefully she sat down, leaving me to gap at her and inhale mosquitoes.
 
Something about the way she said it though, made it difficult for me to doubt her and even more so to believe she was crazy.  "Well, it's said that you should be careful what you ask for because you just might get it..."
 
I couldn't see it but I knew she was grinning.  "Quite."
 
I leaned back against the metal at my back and put my make-shift cane down.  "So why did, er, Kal'enel listen to me?  I'm not hers, I didn't even know she existed until you mentioned her."
 
The Kal'enedral shrugged as she began clearing an area in front of her.  "She was aware of you the moment you appeared on the Plains, because the Dorisha Plains are hers.  You've impressed her, I think.  She tends to take an interest in those who do for themselves.  You have done far more than most people would have been able to do in your place."
 
I moved to sit down, gritting my teeth against the pain in my leg as I did.  If she'd wanted to kill me she would have done it by now.  "I'm not like most people."
 
"So it seems."
 
There was something strange about her, but I wasn't quite sure what and most of the time if I couldn't figure something out on my own I'd ask.  Asking didn't always get me the results I wanted - like the time I asked Wufei if he was wearing boxers, briefs, or nothing at all and I got chased around for an hour, constantly dodging a kitana.  So I asked of course.  "There's something strange about you, what is it?"
 
She looked at me in surprise and then very carefully said.  "Some answers are better left unknown."
 
"Not with me.  I'm as curious as I am stubborn and determined.  Either you tell me now or I will figure it out on my own.  It's only a matter of time.  If you tell me now though I can use the time I'd have used on that to figure out something else..."
 
"You are not a typical youngling."
 
I smirked at her and winked, "You can say that again.  So you going to tell me?"
 
"And very tenacious.  But I think it would do little harm to tell you and a great deal of harm, to my head in the form of an endless headache, if I did not.  I am not just any Kal'enedral, I am Leshya'e Kal'enedral - a spirit who was in life sworn to the Goddess."
 
Blink, blink.  My mind sort of resorted through everything since she'd arrived.  I hadn't heard her approach because she hadn't been walking.  I hadn't seen her because she hadn't been there.  Even where she sat there was no depression in the grass.  Yet she had cleared a small circular area with her hands.  "Oooooookay.  So you're a ghost who can, on occasion, choose to be solid."
 
"In a way of speaking, yes."  She seemed to be watching me carefully, like she wasn't sure how I'd handle it.
 
Sure I could panic or try and deny it but, hey, I knew there were things that couldn't always be explained - like how the hell Heero always managed to survive self-destructing or why the hell Trieze and Dorothy had really fucked up eyebrows so... "Cool.  So, you have anything you need to tell me or something you'd like to ask me?  I may not be a gentleman but I do have manners.... of a sort."
 
She laughed at that, and though I might be considered crazy, I was really starting to like her.  "Of a sort, yes.  Let's see, I should tell you that a rescue party has been sent for you from Clan Tale'sedrin and they will likely arrive by tomorrow morning.  A healer is with them.  The Clans are different groups, but they are all Shin'a'in and are Children of the Star-Eyed.  As to questions, I wouldn't mind knowing your name or age, kitten."
 
I felt myself blush at that, I couldn't believe I'd forgotten the whole introduction-thing, even if it was understandable.  "Duo.  Duo Maxwell.  I'm around fifteen or sixteen I guess; I'm not sure when I was born exactly...  Do you have a name?"
 
"Did. I am simply Kal'enedral now though."
 
I shifted trying to find a position where my leg didn't hurt.  "Fine.  I'll call you Kal then.  So why did you pick the grass away for, Kal?"
 
She seemed amused by the nick-name.  "I intend to build a fire."
 
"I already looked and couldn't find anything to burn..."
 
She stood up and moved about ten feet away to pick up a couple of fairly large bundles and brought them back.  One had wood.  She just raised an eyebrow at me.
 
"Hey... I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, especially when I'm freezing."  I pushed myself painfully to my feet and gripped my 'cane' so tightly that my knuckles went white.  "I'll give you a hand with that."
 
"There's no need..."
 
I glared at her.  "You and your Star-Eyed Lady have already done more than I ever could have hoped for.  I may be a bit broken, but I'm not dead yet and quite frankly if dead people end up like you I don't even think death could slow me down that much.  Besides, I can build a decent fire that's virtually smokeless but there's a lot of stuff I can't do with my leg as it is.  So, you can go and do that stuff while I do this."
 
"Alright kitten, if that's how you want it..."
 
I frowned down at her.  "It's fair and right."
 
She nodded and got to her feet leaving the bundles and picking up a bow and some arrows.  "I'll get your dinner then.  I won't be long."  She turned to go without another word.
 
"Kal?"
 
She stopped and looked back at me, waiting.
 
"I, er, I just... thanks.  I would have managed somehow... didn't have much choice but I appreciate this and if Kal'enel sent you... well same to her."
 
Her voice was still harsh but a bit softer.  "You're more than welcome kitten.  There's no need for thanks, but you're welcome all the same.  I'll return soon."  And she was gone.
 
I had the fire cheerfully burning by the time she got back, carrying some kind of pheasant that had already been gutted and skinned.  Kal got a strong piece of thin metal and skewered the chicken and then shoved one end into the ground at an angle so that the bird hung over the fire.  "Are you thirsty Duo?"
 
I'd been doing a damn good job of ignoring that I was.  You could go a surprising amount of time without things, but when someone brought the lack to your attention it became impossible to ignore.  "Sure am."
 
She took a canteen out of the bag and tossed it to me before pulling out what looked like medical supplies along with a blanket.  I took a long drink from the canteen as she moved to sit next to my very gross-looking broken leg.  "You seem to have done a good job on this leg of yours, kitten, but I want to go over it to be certain."
 
"Go ahead, but I doubt there's much more you can do."  Two things were certain: she did a very thorough examination and it hurt like a bitch.  Course, I didn't let her know that...
 
"You really did a good job breaking your leg.  I'm afraid there's nothing else I can do for it; we'll have to wait until a healer shows up."  She started putting the supplies away.  "The Star-Eyed mentioned you were one of the children from another world, but she didn't explain exactly what that meant.  Can you?"
 
One of those words caught my attention real quick.  "Children?"
 
Kal nodded.  "Five in total, I believe."
 
I was so relieved to hear that that I just stared at the dancing flames, trying to swallow the information without choking.
 
"Duo?"
 
"Sorry."  I gave myself a mental slap.  "I was with four others, and I didn't know what had happened to them.  We were, er, transported here somehow.  Not sure how but it's definitely not like where I'm from... well, a little maybe but not since you got here... I don't know... I'm afraid that's all I can tell you.  None of it makes sense."  I pulled the blanket around my shoulders and scooted closer to the fire.
 
"You're taking it well."
 
I made sure to meet her ice-blue eyes.  "My life hasn't been remotely close to anything people could call normal - not from my very first memory, so I've learned to roll with punches.  I may not know what's going on or how it happened, but in the end it doesn't really matter because this..."  I waved my hand trying to encompass not just the place but the entire situation.  "... is my reality and if I don't deal with it I lose.  And in my experience losing usually means that you, someone you care about, or someone you're trying to protect dies.  Soooo... I deal.  You don't always have to have the answers.  I know I don't."
 
She nodded as she sat back down, and after a moment she started talking but on a slightly different topic.  "When the rescue party arrives I'll no longer be with you.  You won't need me any longer."
 
Even though I'd only just met her that bothered me.  "So that'll be it, I'll never see you again."  My voice was carefully neutral but something told me she wasn't fooled.
 
"I wouldn't say that kitten.  The Star-Eyed likes you; I believe she'll take an interest in you - especially if you show any sign of reciprocating.  Still, I can't speak for the Star-Eyed.  The ways of the Gods aren't always ways we can understand."
 
I snorted.  "Except Death.  Death is simple."
 
She gave me a strange look.  "Death seems simple to those left living, but it's just as complicated as life - if it wasn't, would I be here now?"
 
I didn't have anything to say to that because it made a little too much sense and struck a little too close to things best left alone.  So I hid from it and she let me.  "And what if I were interested in learning about your Star-Eyed..."
 
She reached out and turned the metal the pheasant was on to cook another side.  "Talk to the Tale'sedrin Shaman or you can talk to her yourself - she may not answer but she'll listen.  She wants her children to be strong but she does answer if their strength isn't enough."
 
"Would she know where the others are?"
 
Kal shrugged and turned the pheasant again.  "The Gods know much but even they do not know everything, and unlike you she has no connection to the others.  You she's connected to because this place is hers."
 
"So the others aren't in this area then."
 
"No kitten, they aren't."
 
We feel silent and I watched her play with the bird until it was a golden brown before she set it aside to cool.
 
Truth was I was worried.  I knew the others were more than capable of taking care of themselves, but I wasn't there to watch their backs.  I wasn't there.
 
"As soon as you've eaten you should rest."
 
I looked from the fire to Kal and then out at the night.  I could still see, the stars and moon ensure that, but it was still dark enough that I couldn't see very far.  "Normally, I wouldn't be able to do relax my guard enough to sleep with someone I just met, but I trust you.  Besides, you could have killed me by now if you'd wanted and you're right - I should rest.  The question is, do you need to?  Cause if you do we'll split the night between us for watch duty."
 
"I do not require sleep kitten, though it shows much of your character that you would remember to ask and even insist on doing your part.  Now eat before it's cold."
 
She'd cut off slices of meat and put them onto a plate before handing it to me along with the canteen as she spoke,  "Let me guess, you don't need to eat or drink either."
 
Winking at me she got to her feet and moved away from the fire.  "You got it kitten."
 
So I did what she said.  I ate, and then I slept.
 
*********************
 
"Wake up kitten."
 
I blinked up into laughing blue eyes and a black veiled face.  "Morning already, huh?"  I didn't need her to answer because the sky had brightened considerably; it was probably around nine in the morning.
 
She stood up as I sat up, and I did my best to ignore aches and bruising as well as the pain from my broken leg.  "The rescue party will be here shortly and I must go.  You'll be safe until they arrive."
 
I struggled to my feet with a bit of difficulty, swallowing around a sudden lump in my throat.  "Kal, I... if you have a chance to visit me... well I wouldn't mind."
 
She reached out and ruffled my bangs slightly.  "Oh, you'll see me again kitten.  I promise."
 
Then she was just gone and I was alone, though it didn't feel like I was.  I decided to do a little demolition on what was left of Sandrock while I was waiting for 'rescue'.  I did my best to make sure that everything left behind was good for nothing except scrap.  Not difficult since most of the circuitry was fried, but it gave me something to do other than pack what Kal had brought and wait.  Waiting when I had to was fine as long as there was nothing I could do, but waiting like a damsel in distress just wasn't my thing... well, unless I was the virginal sacrifice awaiting the hot, sexy warrior.  Hmmmm, fantasies about Trowa in leathers coming to claim me or Wufei in a traditional Clan outfit doing the same - very nice.
 
*****************
 
There were eight of them on huge, ugly horses.  They were sitting on those horses looking at me as I was looking at them.  So I threw caution into the wind - after all I was used to making the first move.  "So you're the rescue party, huh?  Well I'm Duo.  Nice horses.  Do they bite?"
 
Anyone with half a brain would have asked the same question.  They were probably the most intelligent animals I'd ever seen, more intelligent than dogs.  And they towered over me and it was like that old commercial: this is your horse (normal horses seen on the screen) and this is your horse on steroids (insert a picture of the Hulk horses I was looking at on to said screen).  However, they seemed to find it amusing.
 
Still I didn't doubt when one of them said yes to my question.  Oh, hell no.  I was definitely a believer.
 
Then one of them dismounted and walked towards me.  He was about twenty with sable hair and bright green eyes; his skin was bronze like Fei's and his eyes were a bit slanted.  "I am Kath'an shena Tale'sedrin.  Apprentice healer of the Tale'sedrin Clan.  If you would allow me to examine you..."
 
I tossed my braid over my should and grinned.  "Sure.  After all, I don't want you to feed me to your horse if I get you angry."
 
He smirked back at me.  "Luckily for you she has already eaten."
 
I took in his bright green and blue clothing and decided that maybe things weren't quite as bad as they could have been.  "Lucky for her you mean.  I guarantee I'd give her indigestion."
 
The other riders had lost their previous stiffness but remained on their horses.  I raised an eyebrow at Kath'an, and he smiled softly as he helped me sit down.  "As soon as I tell them you're fit to ride we'll be leaving."
 
He was gentle as he looked me over and somehow when he got to my leg he managed to make it feel better.  Hell, it even lost some of it's yuck-factor.
 
Once finished he helped me to my feet again.  "You'll be fine to ride.  Istren?"
 
Another man a little older but with the same coloring and dressed in reddish brown tones rode forward with a riderless horse.  A horse who's shoulder was above my head!  "Oh hell, no... the only way I'm going to be able to climb on her is if you have a ladder available or a really large mountain.  Unless..."  I moved forward slowly, the horse watching me as I did.  She was a fighter, I could see it in her eyes.  "I don't suppose you would lie down so I could get on you would you Warriorlady... I've been having a rough time of it lately and it'd just be easier on the both of us if you would."
 
I felt a warmth from her, something like... acceptance and understanding and sort of a mental image of her nuzzling my hair.  Then she pulled away from Istren and his horse and laid down right in front of me.  I stared at her in surprise and she tossed her head and I felt... impatience and sort of had a mental image of her pushing me onto her back.  I'd never been on a horse before but I straddled her back without hesitation or before anyone could stop me. She then got to her feet smoother than anything her size should have been able to.
 
I patted her neck.  "Thanks a lot Warriorlady."
 
I looked up to see everyone staring at me in awe and amazement.  "What?"
 
Istren shook his head.  "Why didn't you say you were an animal mind speaker?"
 
"A what?"
 
Kath'an was back on his horse, making mounting a monster like his horse look easy.  "You can speak to animals."
 
Blink, blink.  "Just because she took a bit of a liking to a scrawny guy like me doesn't mean I can talk to her or anything.  And I don't mean to sound ungrateful but my leg isn't going to be able to take too much of this so we should probably get going."
 
They let it go, but I knew that wasn't the end of it.  But, really, talking to animals?  What'd they think I was... Dr. Doolittle?