Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ A Lovely Mess ❯ Growing tensions ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: A Lovely Mess

Author: Supurrkitty

Disclaimer: I don't own Gundam wing, nor it's characters. On the other hand, I do own Haruki, Akira, Umeko, and Hoshi.

A/N: Well, this actually started out as a Doujinshi I drew, hell knows how long ago, and now I've decided that it would be better just to write it out, instead. Being the lazy ass I am.

Description: A what if fiction that is actually an AU from my other sets of fiction.

Note: Haruki is not from earth, the war she spoke of was at her home planet.

Chapter Four: Growing Tensions

Haruki glanced around the table for the umpteenth time during the dinner. Everyone was chatting with each other. Haruki's eyes once again stopped on the braided man diagonal from her. He was having a conversation with Hilde and Wufei. He glanced up, sensing Haruki's eyes on him. He gave her a small smile, but she shot her head away. Duo blinked, but then continued his conversation with the couple. Haruki moved her eyes to the seat next to her, where Quatre was sitting. He was having his own conversation with Hoshi. He paid close attention to her every word, as she was his own child.

' That's just the sort of person he is…' Haruki thought to herself and smiled, but her head was soon switched to what was going to happen later that night.

Haruki looked down at the tablecloth. It wasn't the first time Duo had asked to meet her at midnight.

// Haruki glanced across the bridge of the river to a rock at the edge. There, Duo sat on the boulder, happily chucking rocks into the river, surrounded by trees. Lanterns lighted the bridge, so it was easy for her to find her way to him.

Haruki smiled as she wrapped her jacket closer around her body. She sat down next to Duo upon arriving. Duo glanced over to her and smiled.

" What?" Haruki raised an eyebrow.

" You're gorgeous." Duo pulled her closer to him and rested his arm on her side.

" Why'd you ask me to come here so late?" Haruki rested her head on his shoulder.

" Oh, no reason." Duo kissed her forehead, and then pointed to the sky. "Look, "

Haruki looked up to see lights streaking across the sky.

" One of the joys of living on a planet so close to the asteroid belt." Duo said.

" It's… beautiful…" Haruki looked amazed at the sight. " I've never seen anything like it in my life…"

" Me neither… but, you're not from Earth… are all your people this beautiful?" Duo looked down at the small woman beside him.

" I'm the only one of my kind…I was lab created." Haruki smiled, keeping her eye on the sky.

" That explains your perfection."

Haruki looked up at him and smiled deeply.

" Your mind has obviously been skewed. I was an accident, they don't want me."

" I find it hard to believe that anyone as wonderful as you would be an unwanted accident. I love you." Duo said as he held her tight and kissed her lips. When they pulled away Haruki looked into his deep Cobalt eyes and gave a half smile.

" Well, you aren't so bad yourself. I love you, too." Haruki wrapped her arm around his neck and kissed him back. //

" Is something wrong, Haruki?" Quatre's voice took her out of her memory.

" What? Oh, yeah, yeah. I'm fine." Haruki waved him off and looked away, glancing around the table once more.

' I was younger then, besides, things have changed…for the better…haven't they…?' Haruki thought, then stopped her quick glance at Duo and sighed silently. '…have you changed, too…?'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Haruki pulled jacket on tighter and looked at her watch.

11:45.

Almost midnight.

She walked toward the area that she knew Duo would be waiting at.

She looked up at the sky.

No meteor shower.

No moon.

New moon.

When was the last time she really looked at the stars?

A bridge.

No lanterns.

Flowers, grass.

No trees.

Haruki reached her destination at the fountain.

Duo.

No rocks.

Just Duo and the night sky.

" You're early." Duo said, turning around.

Haruki looked at her watch.

11:57

" Just three minutes." Haruki protested

" Don't you think that's early?" Duo asked.

" Well, yeah, I guess. I still don't see why you're complaining." Haruki walked to the edge of the fountain and looked up at the spitting fish at the top.

" I wasn't complaining. I'm glad to see you earlier." Duo said, raising an eye brow.

" Then why'd you point out the fact that I'm three minutes early?" Haruki asked him.

Duo shrugged.

" Anything to get a conversation out of you, I guess. You've been avoiding me." Duo walked up next to her.

" I see." Haruki's heart pounded at his nearness, but she kept the cool in her voice. " Why did you want me here?"

" I dunno. Might be the fact that I haven't seen you in years and you're the only thing I've thought about and longed for. Might be the fact that I'm willing to forget about these things and pick up where I left off. I just want to spend as much time with you as I can for the rest of my life." Duo wrapped his arms around Haruki's waist and looked down into her lavender eyes. " I love you so much." Duo whispered.

Haruki looked into his eyes, but then looked away.

" Duo...I..it's been so long...I..." Haruki looked back up into his eyes.

She saw the man she had loved years ago. She was swept back into time as if the years had not passed and it was just waiting for them to be together again. That would change everything. It would make everything better. As long as they were together, everything was pefect. As long as they loved each other. And they did.

" I...I love you, too." Haruki started to cry softly.

Caught up in the moment and forgeting all that mattered now in their lives, Haruki and Duo closed in a kiss. Their first kiss in years. Long and passionate, It was six years back. There was no late arrival, there wasn't even any leaving. There were no broken hearts or hearts to be broken. It was just how they left it. Perfect.

Haruki wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him closer. They pulled away momentarily, but quickly closed in another kiss. They wrapped themselves in each others warmth as they kissed under the stars. For those long moments when they kissed, there was only them and the spitting fish from the lit up fountain beside them.

Haruki moved her hands, until one was over the other. There was a strange presence attached to her ring finger and she was pulled back into reality as well as the joyful moments she had had when Duo was gone. Gone. When he wasn't there. When Quatre was there for her. When she had made a promise to him. When she reluctantly passed her heart on. Then her mind wandered to the future. Less than a month from the present. The fate that was waiting for her in that church, at the alter. The promise she made to Quatre and how she was going to keep it.

But now, she was kissing a lost love. A lost love from the past not the present. She loved Quatre dearly and she did not wish to hurt him in any way. If he found out what she was doing now, he would be heart-broken. What she was doing was wrong.

She pulled away from Duo and slipped out of his arms and backed away a little, tears running down her face.

Duo looked at her strangely.

" What's wrong?" Duo asked, taking a step closer to her. She quickly stepped back away from him. Duo searched her face, confused, but could find only signs of sorrow.

" Duo..." Haruki sobbed, backing up. " I'm so sorry...I...I...I can't..."

Haruki gave him one last sad look before turning around and dashing away from the scene.

" Haruki! Wait!!" Duo ran after her until he lost her in the darkness. He stood under the light of a small post and looked around for any sign of life.

" What's going on?" Duo whispered into the dark of the night.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

D uo walked out of his room and down the hall. He was intent on finding Haruki and seeing what exactly had happened the night before. He looked down the hall he was walking. Akira frantically walked through it until she spotted Duo. She hurried up to him with a worried look on her face.

" What happened last night, Duo?" She asked " I saw Haruki, she was crying and told me to talk to you."

" I'm not sure what exactly happened. I was kissing her, when suddenly she backed away from me and started to cry." Duo said, looking to the side.

" You kissed her!?" Akira asked in disbelief.

" Yeah." Duo looked down at her, confused.

" On the lips!?" Akira became frantic.

" Um, yeah." Duo said, all the more confused.

" How could you do something like that, Duo!? I thought you were a good man! Taking advantage of her like that, just proves me wrong! She had enough to deal with BEFORE you showed up! You know she missed you!" Akira yelled at him, giving a glare.

" Wha-...huh? How was I taking advantage of her? What are you talking about?" Duo backed up a bit.

" Her and Quatre. Haruki and Quatre are engaged. Didn't she tell you?" Akira loosened her prosecution.

" What!? No!!" Duo stood straight." When did that happen!?"

" About two years ago, Duo. I can't believe she hasn't told you yet." Akira rubbed her hands.

" I don't believe it. Why didn't she tell me?" Duo thought out loud.

" Duo... I'm sure she had her reasons. Maybe..." Akira was cut off.

" I can't believe I'm so stupid! I should have known! The way they were looking at each other! That ring! I should have known! I'm so stupid!!" Duo banged his fist on the wall. " I never should have left in the first place!"

" Duo, it's not your fault. It's no one's fault. You've both had a lot of hurt in your life. You shouldn't try to make it worse." Akira said, quietly.

" What do you mean?" Duo looked at her.

" Their wedding is in two weeks. They're anouncing their engagement next week. Come to their wedding. Just come to their wedding." Akira turned around and started to walk away.

Duo looked around and turned towards the direction of Quatre's office.

He walked into the door and looked around, only to find it empty. Duo walked out of the room and ran into one of the maids.

" Excuse me. Do you know where Quatre is?" Duo asked.

" Master Quatre went to a meeting, his fiance went with him." The maid said.

" What? Where? Could you give me directions?" Duo asked. The maid laughed.

" Sir, the meeting is halfway across Earth. They'll be gone for a good week." The maid said

" Thanks." Duo said and waved her off. " A week. That gives me one week afterwards. I don't have that much time..." Duo muttered to himself.

He went back

into the office and rumaged through the desk until he found the files he was looking for. Airline information. He also found directions to the building.

" That makes my job much easier." Duo said.

He put some of the papers back into the drawer, but then dropped one on the ground. He bent down and picked it up, then noticed a picture sticking out of another drawer. He opened the drawer and found it to be full of pictures. He picked up the picture that was sticking out of the drawer.

It was a picture of Quatre and Haruki on a date. Quatre was dressed in a formal tuxedo and Haruki was wearing a beautiful red halter top dress. Duo noticed that her hair was cut shorter than usual. It hung just below her shoulders. Quatre and Haruki's arms were intertwined and they were both smiling. Duo dug deeper into the desk and found another picture of Quatre and Haruki kissing. He quickly shoved it back into the drawer and closed it. He stood up and took the picture in his hand and ripped the part with Quatre off. He stuck the picture of Haruki in his pocket and hurried after the room, slamming the door behind him.

The other half of the torn picture layed on top of the desk, surrounded by papers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Duo pulled his hat up a bit and looked up at the board at the airport.

' Japan...again...' Duo walked to the port and prepared himself to meet whatever destiny awaited him at the end of the flight.

A/N- Yeah, It's kind of fast moving and they're depressing scenes. But, what the hey! It's fun to torture characters! Please, please, PLEASE review! I love reviews!!! And I'll love you if you review.