Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Apathetic ❯ One Shot ( One-Shot )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Gundam Wing. This fan fiction has no commercial value, and I am not making any kind of profit or income off of this story or the use of characters owned by Sunrise and Bandai. Written for the “what if” summer challenge on gw500. This twist on Wufei: What if Wufei hadn't joined Mariemaia?
 
Apathetic
 
Wufei hid his face as the “troops” marched along the street by studying his coffee with unusual curiosity. He was sure he would not end up in a nice, cushy mansion for a prison like Quatre, Relena, and Dorothy had. Duo was right; they would end up in the worst cells the Bartons could find.
 
He should have taken Dekim up on his offer. When Trowa had tried to infiltrate the troops, Dekim had known exactly who he was, and he had shot their comrade in front of all the troops as an example. Heero and Duo had attacked them in the open with Noin and Sally as back-up, but they had been lucky to escape alive. Quatre had gone to get retrieve the Gundams, but when he returned with them, the government had already changed hands. He was arrested on the spot and brought to Relena Darlian.
 
There were rumors that Dekim was going to drop the colony onto Earth as per the original Operation Meteor, but Zechs had managed to stop it, giving his life—again—in the process. Noin and Sally had been with him. When he died, a large explosion took out many nearby troops and mobile suits, and the new government insisted it was the women with an outdated (and very illegal) bomb. This gave Mariemaia an excuse to declare all Preventers as rebels and dissidents. Une gave a hell of a fight, but in the end, they captured her. Her execution date was still being set.
 
They said she was trying to usurp her baby cousin; they spread nasty rumors hinting to incestuous feelings. But when you take Dorothy Catalonia into custody, you have to spread the nastiest rumors as fast you can because she'll have nastier ones spreading faster. Duo, who had been hiding with her at the time, said they were trying to use her to find things Treize supposedly hid away for his “daughter.” Duo also told him he suspected they wanted to use her to justify Mariemaia's lineage.
 
Duo hadn't spent a lot of time with him, though. Since OZ's broadcast the year before, the soldiers knew Duo was a former pilot, and so he was constantly on the run. Dekim wanted revenge on “those punks” who had changed his plans and “wronged his family.” Heero's face was still unknown, but he rumored to be second-in-command of an underground movement with Sally at the head.
 
Wufei looked at the civilians who drank their coffees and read their papers, ignoring the change. They were tired of fighting, just like Wufei. They didn't know which side was the good one, so they just accepted whoever took over. Just like Wufei. Their hearts hadn't changed, just as his hadn't. Their brains knew which side was the right one, just as he knew, but would he fight? Would he take a stand?
 
He joined a group of young men at a table without invitation. “Hello. Would you like to help me overthrow the government?”