Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Behind the Scenes ❯ Chapter 5

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Title: Behind the Scenes 5 out of ?
Author: C-Chan2 a.k.a. Neptunesdemon
Archive: WufeiDuoyaoiML, any others just ask.
Category: Romance
Pairings: 2+5/5+2, 2+R, 3+4, mentioning of past 1+2
Rating: PG (at the present moment)
Spoilers: None
Warnings: Yaoi, AU, OOC and major OOCness in Quatre's case.
Saturday was not Wufei's favorite day, at least not when he was stuck working. The store was busier than was neccessary and if he had to deal with customers for much longer he knew he'd end up screaming. That however wasn't the worst of it all. It didn't help him when Quatre Winner, his friend but an annoying little bugger, trailed behind him on his lunch break. The blonde was hoping that if he stayed in contact with Wufei more often he'd be able to catch a glimsp, or much more, of the braided "A" star.
The two were lounging on the floor of the science fiction aisle, Wufei's nose buried in a book as Quatre verbally complained about his boredom. He had already suggested that his friend leave, but Quatre insisted that he would stay. It was his day off and he wanted to take full advantage of it. What seemed to slip past him was that Wufei was actually working and that his boss kept glaring in their direction. He hated when employers had company during the hours they worked. At the moment the man could say nothing, Wufei was still on break. Give or take twenty minutes and the Chinese man would have to deal with the balding man's complaints.
"So how much longer are we going to sit here?", Quatre whined, leaning back onto a bookshelf, "I could have sat in boredom at home and much more comfortably at that."
"Then by all means go home.", Wufei advised, chancing a glance up to his friend, "It'll give me the peace and quiet I deserve."
Quatre merely rolled his eyes, his arms crossing over his chest as he looked away to find something of interest. When he could find none, he turned back to whine in Wufei's direction, the Chinese man's eyebrow beginning to twitch.
"Quatre, why don't you spend the day with Trowa?", Wufei suggested.
Trowa was off today as well and Quatre chose to torment him rather than spend time with his lover.
"Trowa's doing errands and his errands are more boring than this."
"Then what about work?", Wufei asked, tying to focus on his book again.
"I don't work weekends, remember?"
"Obviously I didn't."
The two fell silent, Wufei basking in it for the moment. He was sure that it would be broken in a few seconds. Quatre's intake of breath was the warning that more whining was on the way. Luckily enough however, a shadow hovered over them. Both blond and brunette looked up to find Wufei's boss towering over them. He glowered down at them, his crossed arms almost resting atop his round stomach.
"Mr. Chang, I believe there's a policy against personal visits during work hours."
Wufei would have given the man a sharp retort, but he decided to glance down at his wristwatch first. As he did the digital numbers switched from 2:59 to 3:00. This man needed a life. He and Quatre stood, the blonde avoiding the man's stare as much as he could.
"Quatre-"
"Was just leaving.", the blonde interrupted, unable to hold out under the man's gaze, "So I'll just see you after work. Okay, Wufei?"
The Chinese man only raised an eyebrow in question, but Quatre was already moving toward the exit. With one last wave back, he disappeared within the crowd on Fifth Ave. It was only then Wufei turned back to his boss, sighing in exasperation as he rested the book he had been trying to read back where it came from.
"Don't get your panties in a twist.", Wufei mumbled, the man giving a shocked sort of snort, "I'm getting back to work."
He didn't wait for the man's answer, but heard the muttered swearing as he walked away. He barely made it to the checkout counter when he heard Valerie's voice beckoning him. He turned to find her coming in his direction and he figured it wouldn't hurt to stop and chat for a while. He wasn't exactly in a rush to return to dealing with the weekend rush.
"Valerie.", he greeted, the girl offering him a smile.
"You have a phone call.", she began, giving him a wink, "And she sounds pretty."
She? He had no idea who could be calling him, especially someone of that particular gender. The only person that came into his head was his mother, but he had been sure not to give her his work number. He was also sure that no matter how much his mother liked him, Trowa wouldn't have given it to her either. So he was now at a loss.
"Which phone?", he asked, beginning to walk away.
"The break room.", Valarie called after him, "I hope it goes well."
Wufei could only wonder what she meant by that, but he didn't dwell on it. Valarie was a mystery to him and he wanted to keep it that way. He reached the breakroom, barely escaping his now fuming boss and was picking up the phone in little time.
"Hello?"
"It's Sally."
So she was the woman. What did she want, or rather what did Duo want?
"Hello, Sally.", he greeted, attempting small talk, "How are you?"
"Yeah, let's just skip to getting down to business.", Sally suggested, her voice a bit impatient, "Duo's back in town, however I have ordered him to go no where near you. He's here for a very important shooting and it would seem that you have now become a distraction."
Him? A distraction? That was absurd.
"I don't understand.", he admitted, his face fitted with a frown.
He heard Sally sigh and pictured her rubbing her temples to ward off an impending headache.
"Well, he was supossed to be on the set an hour ago and he's M.I.A.",she explained, "Being that he seems to have grown a sudden interest in spending time with you, I figured I'd give you a call. You haven't seen him have you?"
Wufei didn't know how to feel. He had nothing to do with Duo's sudden disappearance. It's not like the braided star wasn't on set at this precise moment because he was here with him.
"I'll have you know that I haven't seen Duo Maxwell and can assure you that he and I will not be running into each other."
Okay, so they had originally made plans to meet up when the star was back in town, but Sally didn't need to know that. It also didn't mean that Duo was missing because of him.
"Why do I find that hard to believe?", the woman asked, her voice sounding tired and stressed.
"Sally, I have no idea where Duo could be.", Wufei admitted, unaware of the door opening, "I do know however that he and I won't be crossing paths any. . .time. . ."
His words were slowly brought to a stop as Duo Maxwell slipped into his line of vision, hat and glasses removed to offer Wufei a smile in greeting. This couldn't be good.
"He's there isn't he?"
Sally's voice reminded him that he was still on the phone and the anger in the woman's voice set him in a temporary panic.
"The line's breaking I have to go.", was the first excuse he could come up with and he hung up just in time to miss a slew of colorful words.
He said nothing, only glared at the violet eyed man who only shrugged.
"You said surprise you."
He had said that hadn't he?
"I didn't mean to skip your movie shoot to stalk me, you idiot!", he exclaimed, the braided actor looking sheepish for a moment.
"I couldn't help it.", he began in his defense, seating himself at the table, "I just kept thinking that the shoot wouldn't finish in time and I'd miss catching you. I didn't want to risk it. Besides, Sally can reschedule the damn thing."
Wufei couldn't believe what he was hearing. In fact he didn't believe it, he merely ignored it, his glare softening as he joined Duo at the table. He missed when Duo Maxwell shifted, but felt a hand rest over his. His eyes stared in disbelief for a moment as Duo's hand gently took his before they were traveling up to look into violet eyes.
"I just wanted to spend time with you, Wufei.", Duo told him sincerely, "This was my last week in New York. I don't know when I'll be back and my schedule's pretty much crammed. I wanted to make sure our bet was seen through."
Bet? Memories of two weeks back returned to him and he scoffed in disbelief that he had actually agreed to Duo's terms. Though he had won a wonderful prize out of it. He wouldn't admit it out loud but he had grown quite fond of his stuffed panda bear.
"Duo, you can't shirk your duties because you want to make sure I keep my end of the bargain. You have an image to uphold.", Wufei explained, gently pulling his hand away.
He watched Duo lean back in his chair, a bit deflated but he wouldn't let himself give in this time. The last thing he needed was to become the reason for the downfall of Duo's acting career. From what he had learned about the braided star, he was doing pretty well.
"You know you have to go back there.", Wufei reminded him and Duo scowled.
"Yeah, I know.", he muttered, sitting up straight and looking to Wufei, "Want to come with me?"
Wufei stopped at the question and found that he was speechless. Go to a movie set? He had no idea what to say. Well he knew what he had to say.
"I can't.", he worded, almost reluctantly, "I don't get off until six."
He watched Duo sulk yet again before the braided star was standing with a shrug. The cap was replaced but the glasses stayed in Duo's hand, the actor merely toying with it.
"Ok, then.", he finally said after some time, "I guess I'll be going. I don't want Sally to have an aneurism."
Wufei watched somewhat guiltily as Duo headed for the door. He had done the right thing or so he hoped. Duo couldn't put everything on the line just to hang out with him. The actor opened the door, ready to step out but hesistated. Wufei wasn't sure what had stilled his steps, but he merely sat waiting to see what he would do. Duo closed the door, turning back to Wufei and walking to the table to lean over it, violet eyes locked with ebony.
"At least say you'll come to the set after work.", Duo pleaded, his eyes begging, "We can do something after. My flight isn't until tomorrow evening and I can risk a night on the town. What do you say?"
"Duo-"
"Wufei, please."
Wufei wanted to look away, but found it difficult to do so. Duo Maxwell was very skilled in grabbing people's attention and then again, he was easy on the eyes. Wufei realized that Duo wasn't going to leave here until he got an answer and most likely it would have to be the answer he wanted to hear. Wufei had to admit, he kind of wanted to go along with it.
"Only if you send me a car.", he joked, a small smile taking his lips.
Duo grinned, obviously now content with Wufei's decision. He straightened himself, placing his glasses on his face.
"Would I have done otherwise?", he questioned, heading for the door, "It'll be here at six."
Wufei stopped once again, stunned out of his mind. Was Duo serious? Was he actually going to send a car for him? He wanted to question him, but the braided man was already heading out of the door, ready to blend in with the customers.
"I'll catch you later, Fei."
Fei? He wasn't sure why his cheeks reddened at the call of his nickname, but he wouldn't have time to ponder it. His boss was heading in the direction of the break room and his face looked like he had finally managed an emotion that surpassed anger. That or he was constipated. Deciding to not voice that opinion outloud, Wufei braced himself for the verbal abuse he was sure to recieve.
-------------------------------------------
Trowa was aware that his lover had reached home when he heard the television turn on and tuned in to E! TV. He sighed, knowing that Quatre's return to the apartment meant that Wufei had chased the blond away. However, feelings hadn't been hurt. Wufei hadn't called to rant and Quatre would have come straight into his office to complain if that had happened. It was a wonder those two considered themselves friends. Then again, Trowa believed he was the glue that kept those two together, otherwise without him the Chinese man and his lover would never have lasted.
He let his eyes focus back to his computer screen and a half finished powerpoint presentation. He had been working on it since this morning. Quatre had tried to help but had deemed his errand boring and went in search of Wufei. He didn't mind that he had been left alone. Lord knows he loved Quatre but the Arab young man was a headache at most times. He could barely begin working again when the door to his office was swung open and he looked over his shoulder to find Quatre in the doorway.
"What is it now?", he asked with an exasperated sigh.
Quatre moved foward, his eyes focusing in on his banged lover. He was bored out of his mind. There was nothing on tv and there was nothing to do in the house. He didn't work today and he wasn't about to call in and ask for any. Trowa was off today and that meant the two were supposed to spend time together. However, Trowa had decided to work on his next presentation, meaning that Quatre was left the victim of boredom. He would have to remedy that.
"Trowa, let's go out.", the blonde suggested.
Trowa merely groaned, turning his chair so that he was now facing his boyfriend. He knew this was bound to happen. As much as he would love to have some free time with his lover, he found it in his best interest to get a head start. The big meeting with the head company was a week away and he wanted to make sure everything went according to plan. That meant using his days off away from the office to actually work on his pitch.
"Quatre, I'm busy.", he tried to reason, watching the infamous pout take place, "That's not going to work this time, I have work to do."
"It'll only be for a little while.", Quatre continued, determined to get his way, "An hour the most and then you can come back and work yourself to death for all I care. I just want to have some us time for a change."
"So you notice I exist?", Trowa retored sarcastically, Quatre pouting even more, "It's shame to say I have competation from men you'd probably never meet face to face."
"Trowa!"
"Alright, fine.", he gave in, Quatre smiling triumphantly, "But only an hour."
"Two.", the blonde pushed, and Trowa sighed.
"Fine two hours and then I get back to work understand?"
Quatre's nod was all he needed and Trowa led his boyfriend out of the office after shutting down his computer. He had to admit, he did want to spend time with him and he was happy for the attention. He had begun to worry that Quatre had truly forgotten about him. It put his mind at ease that that wasn't the case.
"So, Wufei chase you off?", he questioned as they headed for the apartment door, his arm wrapping around Quatre's waist.
"No, his boss did. That man is creepy."
Trowa nodded his head in agreement. He had come across the balding, heavy-set, middle-aged man and he had been intimidated by the scowling face plenty of times. It was a wonder that Wufei had the guts to stand up to him. Then gain, it was Wufei. He let his mind wander from those thoughts to instead think about what exactly he and Quatre could do.
"You hungry?", he asked, his own stomach growling, "I could use some lunch."
-----------------------------------------
The rest of the day had passed by as normally as any other day, or rather as normally as any other Saturday. The amount of customers were beginning to wane and Wufei couldn't have felt anymore relieved. It was also three minutes to five and that meant he'd be getting off soon. The time painstakingly passed, but soon enough Wufei was clocking out and bidding his boss and co-workers good night. He was headed in the direction of the door when a man dressed in a suit and tie blocked his path. Who the hell was he?
"Mr. Chang?"
He frowned at the quetsion but nodded, the stranger merely nodding in acknowledgment.
"I believe you sent for a car?"
A car? Then it dawned on him. Duo was responsible for this. He had nearly forgotten about his visit to the movie set. Duo had actually sent a car? This was unbelievable.
"If you'd just follow me."
The man didn't give him time to object, he had already turned away and was headed for the door. Wufei noticed the amount of eyes that were on him and he found it best to follow so as to escape the stares. When he made it out of the doors he stopped, his breath stolen as his eyes stopped on the sleek back stretch that sat waiting for him. This had to be a joke. The driver opened the door for him, his face smiling as he waved Wufei towards the car.
"Please Mr. Chang, if you'd just step inside."
Wufei wasn't so sure if he should. After all he had never truly wanted Duo to send a car, but the braided star had sent him a limosine. He took a tentative step forward before he stopped and shook his head. He couldn't get inside that limo.
"I don't deserve this.", he mumbled aloud.
The driver only smiled brighter, having heard his low words.
"He said you'd probably say something like that. I've been ordered to take you against your will if you don't come willingly."
Wufei frowned at the words. The man couldn't be serious. Yet as he watched the man further, he saw the seriousness in his eyes, even though his face was plastered with a smile. Where did Duo find these people? With a nervous laugh, Wufei closed the distance between him and the vehicle. He climbed in, carefully avoiding the limo driver and was greeted with an interior that was better furnished than his apartment.
"Feel free to help yourself.", the man said, before closing the door, "We'll be there in about twenty-five minutes."
Wufei could do nothing but stare in wonder. The bar was fully loaded and he had been given a tv, which was playing the only movie he had ever truly watched, fast forwarded to his favorite fight scene. He smiled at the sight of Heero Yuy on the television screen and though he wanted to watch the movie, his eyes were drawn to the small box that sat near the bar. He reached for it, noticing his name was inscripted on the small white card.
He had no idea what could be inside and he wasn't so sure if he wanted to open it. His curiousity was winning and his fingers were pulling off the top. He froze in shock as he came across a hard covered book and like an excited child at Christmas he pulled it free from the box with a smile. In Manderin read the title of 'A Tale of Two Cities' and Wufei could only wonder how Duo had manged to find a copy of one of his favorites in his native language.
He let his hand graze the raised calligraphy of the title and he couldn't help but smile again. He had no idea why the actor was doing all this, but he appreciated it. With the the book secure in his arms Wufei leaned back into the seat quite content and he watched the movie as he was chauffered to his destination.
------------------------
"CUT!"
That was the twentieth time that the director had stopped the shooting and everyone groaned as he did so. The man stood from his chair, his eyes narrowing on the current star of his new film. It was bad enough that the man had been late, but he couldn't even get his lines right.
"Duo, can I please get a little cooperation from you?", the man begged, though he wanted to demand, "The line is 'I fell in love with you at hello', now get it right!"
"I'm sorry.", Duo moped, giving the director a pout, "I'm just having a hard time focusing. No offense Hilde, but I'm just not feeling it."
Hilde Schbeiker, Hollywood's newest star, only rolled her eyes.
"Well then think of someone else then. Some one you love, think about when you were falling in love- damn it just get it right!", the director shouted impatiently, "Let's just get this thing going! ACTION!"
Duo let himself fall into character as the director's words were repeated and the set fell quiet. He had to get this scene right or else he'd never get out of here. He was sure that it was now thirty minutes after five and that meant that Wufei could be there soon. In fact he was supossed to have been there already. What if the man had decided not to come after all? He was drawn from his head as Hilde was now saying her lines and he tried to focus. She was nearing an end and he still wasn't sure if he would be able to do it. He had to think of someone. Relena. . .he could think of Relena.
Eyes watched as Duo took hold of Hilde's face, the silent pause lasting longer than what was wanted. The director felt his eye twitch. It would seem that Duo had forgotten his lines; again. He wanted to yell cut but let the actor stay there for awile to sweat, he had to have some sort of payback for his troubles. Duo on the other hand was having a hard time getting it together. He was trying to focus on seeing Relena but slowly in his mind blue eyes darkened and slanted. So did her hair, which shortened to shoulder length and femanine features sharpened to become masculine. Now he got it.
"I fell in love with you at hello.", Duo finally said much to everyone's relief, doing a damn good job while he was at it, "And I'm pretty sure that even with all that's happened I'll always love you. . .Wufei."
"Wufei?", Hilde questioned with a frown.
"Georgia! Her name is Georgia!", the director screamed in frustration.
The rest of the crew looked amongst each other in confusion, aware of the director's ranting but more interested in the actor's slip up.
"Wufei!"
Eyes watched as the actor left the set, which brought more red-faced ranting from the director, heading toward the door where a young man stood. Wufei only smiled nervously as he stood just inside of the door, aware of the many eyes that were watching him as Duo came to him.
"You made it.", Duo observed, smiling all the while, "I was beginning to think you had ditched me."
"I didn't mean to interrupt.", Wufei offered, looking to where the director was now destroying the refreshment table.
"Nah, you're not interrupting.", Duo assured him, ignoring the glares he felt on his back at the words, "We just have one last scene and then we're done. You wanna watch?"
Wufei looked past Duo to where a young woman stood impatiently awaiting Duo's return. He wasn't so sure if he wanted to, patience seemed to be running a bit low and that meant tolerance was as well.
"I don't think so."
"You sure?", Duo asked, the Chinese man nodding, "Well then wait in my trailer. I'll be there in a bit, it's the big one at the end of the lot."
"Duo, we're on a schedule here!"
At the new voice both Duo and Wufei looked back to find Sally glowering in their direction. Duo turned back to Wufei with smile at him.
"Uh oh, they called in re-enforcements.", he joked, starting to back away to the set, "I'll catch you in a little while. You just relax, okay?"
Wufei only nodded, watching as Duo made it to the set and was setting up for the scene again. Silently he left heading for Duo's trailer. He was greeted by a tall, burly man who only looked down at Wufei with a bored expression. Was this Duo's bodyguard?
"Um-"
"You need something?", the large man asked and Wufei froze for an instant.
"Duo-"
"Isn't in.", the man interrupted, glaring down at him, "And even is he was, no one gets in to his trailer. How did you get on the lot anyway?"
"He's a friend.", a new voice added as the trailer door opened.
Wufei looked to see a familiar face and he felt relief wash over him. He had just avoided a confrontation with a very intimidating bodyguard. Heero Yuy looked over to the large man with a disapproving look.
"Rashid, you know the only people who come to Duo's trailer when he's not here are those he sends himself. Stop being an ass and let the kid in."
Wufei sulked at the words. Kid? He was not a kid, in fact he was pretty sure he wasn't that much younger than Heero himself. He let it slide. Rashid was still scrutinzing him and Wufei was beginning to hate being studied everywhere he went. Finally the man shrugged, going back to his "at-attention" posistion.
"He's clear to enter.", he stated, not bothering to look at the two young men.
Heero only rolled his eyes before he was climbing the few steps of the trailer and leading the Chinese man inside.
"Come on in.", he welcomed, waving Wufei inside, "The longer you stay out there the more Rashid won't trust you."
That got Wufei moving and he was in the trailer in no time, his eyes looking around the somewhat crowded room. He wasn't shocked to find books scattered in every direction, as he was aware that the braided star was as much of a book worm as he was. He was surprised to find the large amount of video games, board games and various sports equipment that were laying around. Then again Duo was childlike so it wasn't that much of a surprise that he had managed to have a variety of these things laying around. Heero was now seated on a large beanbag chair, returning to the video game he must have been playing before he had come to the boy's rescue.
"Sit down.", the Japanese star ordered, his focus centered on the screen, "Relax a bit, he'll be here in a few minutes. I'm sure he told you to enjoy yourself."
He had actually, but Wufei wasn't sure if he planned on doing so. He was becoming quite nervous with each passing moment. Weeks ago he had never thought that he'd meet, let alone befriend, a famous actor. Now here he was in the tailer of Hollywood's most popular star with an action movie legend. If Quatre ever found out about this Wufei was sure he'd be killed.
"You know, you could have easily stood outside.", Heero told him, pausing the game to look at him.
The chocolate-haired actor patted the bean bag chair beside him and Wufei carefully made his way over. Slowly he sat down and Heero offered him a smile.
"Relax and take a load off. You seem about ready to faint from agitation.", Heero held out the controller, "Want to play?"
Wufei gently declined and Heero merely shruged before returning to the game. Whatever game he was playing was rather violent from what he could see, though it did seem interesting. Was Heero's character holding a flame-thrower?
"Grand Theft Auto.", Heero provided, as if anticipating Wufei's question, "One of the best games I've played and I've played them all."
The silence fell again and Wufei found himself strangly drawn to the game. It did look like fun. Though he was slightly ashamed to be thinking such a thing. How could setting an innocent bystander on fire seem like fun? He drew his eyes away from the tv with much effort, looking around once again at the books that littered the area. The genre was quite obvious, Duo having already admitted that he was a science fiction and fantasy fan.
"So how did you and Duo meet exactly?", Heero asked, all the while playing the game.
"We kind of just bumped into each other."
"And if I know Duo that means literally, right?"
Wufei blushed at that and he wasn't sure why. They had collided that day and he remembered it vividly; especially Duo's smile. It was what he remembered the most. He looked to Heero, then his own question rising in his head.
"How did you meet him?"
Heero paused the game at the question, a hand coming up to thoughtlessly scratch at the back of his head. Then blue eyes were pinned on Wufei and he offered the Chinese man a sincere smile.
"We met on a movie set.", Heero began, turning back to his game, "It was my first American movie and I had just come over from Japan. I barely knew English, my acting wasn't up to American standards and I was as nervous as fuck. Excuse my language."
Wufei merely shook his head to show he didn't mind and patiently waited for Heero to start again. How long ago had Heero come to America, he didn't sound like he had an accent.
"I don't hear an accent.", Wufei voiced aloud and Heero shrugged.
"Well I'm an actor, I can fake an accent and an American accent isn't as hard to mock as many would think. That and with money I can afford expensive English lessons."
Wufei shook his head with a smile at Heero's words. Duo seemed to have a knack for attracting people. It was most likely that part of his personality that made him a successful actor. Then again, he did act pretty well.
"Anyway, we've been friends ever since.", Heero finished, just as he completed the short mission of the game.
The door to the trailer opened and the two already inside it were greeted with Sally's angry yelling, a mixture of Manderin and English. Duo stepped inside, his eyes rolling as the woman continued to scream at his back as she followed him. He then turned back to face her when she demanded it of him, meeting eyes darkened with anger.
"This isn't a game, Duo.", she told him, drawing her scolding to an end, "You have to start taking things a bit more seriously."
She then looked in Wufei and Heero's direction, her eyes narrowing in on the ebony-haired man. She studied him as she did the first they had run across each other and Wufei felt as if he was being harshly scrutinized. After what seemed like hours she turned away, looking back to the braided star who patiently stood waiting for her to start again.
"You should call your girlfriend.", she told him, her eyes conveying a message that was meant to be between her and Duo.
Wufei, as well as Heero, picked up on it however. They said nothing, Heero turning back to his video game and Wufei looking to the floor. He had no idea why he suddenly felt ashamed to be here. He fought the urge to rise and leave the trailer. Duo had asked him to be here before he had to return to California. The braided man considered him as a friend, what kind of friend would he be if he just up and left?
"I'll call her when I'm good and ready.", Duo replied, his tone holding finality of the subject, "Now if you'll excuse me, I have company. I am allowed a private life aren't I?"
He saw the muscle in her jaw jump as Sally clenched her teeth, but Duo wasn't intimidated. He merely waited for her to leave, the room radiating with the angry tension. With a final huff, Sally turned on her heels and left the trailer, slamming the door behind her. However, she wasn't the only one that was set on leaving.
Sally's comment had brought back Wufei's doubts and he felt guilt riding him the longer he thought of Relena Dorian. This, what they were doing, was much more than hanging out. Or at least it would be if they actually went through with it. Then again, he wasn't too sure if Duo was interested in him in such a way. He could see Wufei as just a friend and it would be embarrasing to find that out after confronting him. He still had to do it either way and he had to do it now. He stood as Duo made his way over to where he and Heero sat, the braided actor offering him a smile of apology.
"Sorry about that, Fei.", the actor apologized, "She can be such a bitch at times. Now that she's out of the way, how about you and I take that night on the town?"
As Wufei stared up into violet eyes, he so desperately wanted to say yes, but he knew that he couldn't. So with much effort, shocked at his own hesitation, Wufei sadly shook his head with his eyes looking down to the floor. He was unable to see Duo's face lose its charming smile, the actor's face fitted now with a look of misunderstanding.
"Wufei-"
"I'm sorry, Duo, but I can't.", he quickly told him, before the actor could convince him otherwise, "At least not until I put my mind at ease."
Heero took that as his cue to leave and he shut off the game system, clearing his throat as he stood. He excused himself as he passed them, his eyes connecting with Duo's momentarily. There was a small interaction of words without speaking and Duo sighed before nodding in agreement. Then Heero was gone, leaving the two men alone in the trailer.
The silence lasted for quite awhile, with Wufei staring down at the floor and Duo staring at the Asian man. He was the first to speak, drawing Wufei to look at him with a touch to the man's shoulder. Wufei looked up and regretted the motion, he could feel his resolve crumbling and he forced himself not to give in. He had no idea what this man was doing to him, but he didn't want it to go on any longer.
"Wufei-"
"Why exactly do you want to see me so much?", Wufei interrupted again, not wanting to give Duo the chance to persuade him, "I mean, I'm curious. A Hollywood star, who I barely even knew of before and has thousands of fans, wants to suddenly befriend me?"
"You're a cool guy.", Duo quickly offered with a shrug of his shoulders, "I'm sure you have friends and they think the same thing."
"Duo, I'm going to get straight to the point. What is this?"
"This is just two friends going out for dinner and maybe a nice ride through Central Park."
"That's just it, Duo. To me it seems like you're striving for much more than friednship.", Wufei finally gave in, watching Duo look away from him, "Is that what it is?"
Duo didn't answer, he instead walked away to seat himself on an empty spot on his book covered couch, leaning back to stare up at the ceiling. Wufei waited patiently, not exactly sure what Duo was going to say and feeling anxious as to what the answer would be. After a long while Wufei finally got his answer.
"I like you, Wufei.", Duo admitted, his eyes still focused on the ceiling, "A lot."
He looked to Wufei then, not sure what the Asian man was thinking or how he felt about this confession. Wufei's face was stoic and his eyes stared down at the floor blankly, almost as if he was still taking it in. Duo waited patiently for Wufei to pull things together. He didn't have to wait long.
"So you're gay?"
Not exactly off topic, but still an unexpected question. Though it was obvious, Wufei had to ask it anyway. Duo snorted, his eyes looking down to the floor as his hands idily played with the end of his braid.
"I don't know.", he muttered, though he himself knew the answer.
"Duo-"
"Look, Fei, you want the truth, I'll give you the truth.", Duo began, interrupting the sloe-eyed man for a change, "I like you and I mean I really like you. You're the first person I've ever met that didn't suck up to me when you found out who I was. I like the way you blush when you're embarrased, I like the way you smile, the way you won't hesistate to put me in my place. Those looks you give me; you have no idea what you do to me. Do you want to know something else?"
Wufei was unable to speak, Duo's words having rendured him speechless, so he opted for nodding.
"When we first met at the bookstore, I purposely bumped into you.", Duo admitted, not pausing to see Wufei's reaction, "I saw you when I first came in and I left the break room with the inetention to find you. I watched you stock the shelves and all I could think was that you were beautiful. I had never believed in love at first sight until that moment. So when the opportunity presented itself, I took a chance and bumped into you. And I'm glad that I did. Meeting you was the best thing that ever happened to me."
Wufei wasn't sure what Duo was talking about at the moment, he was too busy trying to quell the suddenly heavy feeling in his chest. Duo had said love at first sight, he didn't want to believe that he had heard him. They barely knew each other, there was no way possible that Duo knew what he was talking about. Love didn't happen over night, or in Duo's case fifteen minutes, it took time. Besides, Duo was in a relationship, there was no way this could ever work out.
"No."
The word startled Duo, who had been still rambling on and he watched as Wufei began pacing, a hand rising to hold his head. What did the man mean by no?
"No?"
"No.", Wufei repeated with a shake of his head, turning to face the actor, "You can not do this to me."
"Wufei, what are you talking about?"
"You can't be in love with me, Duo.", Wufei burst out, his voice not exactly yelling, "This isn't one of your movies where everything turns out right. This is actual life. I knew deep down that this was not your regular "lets be friends" kind of thing, but I gave you the benefit of the doubt. I mean what do think was going to happen, Duo? That I'd willingly agree to this, claim to love you too and we'd live happily ever after?"
Duo didn't answer and at the moment he wasn't looking at the Chinese man, who had stopped pacing to stare in his direction. He had a feeling that it would turn out this way, but he had had to try anyway.
"You have a life, Duo and as private as you want it to be, it's public. You're in a relationship with someone. It doesn't matter how much in love you are with me I will not be a part of this. Not while you're with her. I won't do something as dishonorable as this."
"I wasn't asking you to do anything!", Duo finally retored loudly, looking to Wufei.
"Then what did you want by telling me this, Duo?", Wufei countered, his voice having raised as well, "You can't expect me to believe that Duo Maxwell was going to give up his image to be with a bookstore employee. A male bookstore employee at that. There's no way the public would agree to that and Sally would never allow it. So what other choice do I have but to be the 'other woman'? To hide in the shadows and disgrace not only myself but the woman that you're with now? I'm sorry, Duo but I can't. . .I won't do this."
Wufei felt a lump in his throat start to rise and he forced it down. There was no way that he was going to get emotional over this. Hell, he wasn't an emotional person. He had to go and he had to go now.
"I have to go.", he announced, rushing for the door.
Duo stood from the couch then, rushing after him and stopping Wufei at the door. He held him by the shoulders, turning the ebony haired man to face him and staring down into onyx eyes.
"Wufei wait, don't go.", he begged, letting the man see his own emotional turmoil, "Give me a chance, please. Do you know what you've done to me? I can't eat, I can't sleep, I can't remember my lines. All I can see, can think about is you. I've never felt this way before. I love you."
"Claiming to love me doesn't make it all better, Duo!", Wufei obejected, pulling free of the actor's hold, "Loving me won't hide the fact that you're dating someone else. To tell you the truth, even if you weren't I couldn't do it. To have to be hidden away as if I'm a dirty secret, I wouldn't be able to handle it. No matter how much I lo-"
He shut his mouth before he could finish, not wanting to believe what he was about to say and not wanting Duo to catch it. It was too late however and before he could try and leave again, Duo was taking hold of him.
"No matter how much you what?", Duo pushed, Wufei trying his best to pull free of the actor's grip, "No matter how much you what, Wufei? What were you going to say?"
"Duo, let go of me."
He was startled as Duo gently grabbed hold of him by the face and pulled him forward. He was even more shocked when Duo's lips closed with his and he gasped, allowing the violet-eyed man to make the kiss deeper, his tongue gently dipping in to carress Wufei's mouth. Wufei unconciously submitted, his arms pulling Duo closer as he grabbed onto the man's shirt. It was the sound of the door opening that brought him back to his senses and he pushed Duo away, ashamed with himself that he had allowed it to happen.
"Whoa."
The new voice was Heero's and the Japanese man had seen a short moment of the kiss before it was ended. He hadn't meant to interrupt, but he had thought that their little talk would be over by now. It was a good thing that he had sent Rashid on his break. He apologized for interruping and gently closed the door again. The two now left alone looked at each other and Duo saw Wufei's confusion in the ebony depths. He was resposible for that and he wanted nothing more than to help straighten things out, but he was sure he'd only make it worse.
"Go back to California.", Wufei said in parting, not sure what else there was to say, "You're girlfriend probably misses you."
"Wufei, wait."
Duo tried to reach for him, but Wufei shrugged him off as he left the trailer. He followed him out but let him leave, watching as Wufei headed back toward the limo. He wanted to scream, he wanted to cry, anything to let loose his frustration. He felt a hand on his shoulder and he looked to find Heero, who gave him a sympathetic look. He offered the Japanese actor a sad smile to assure him that he was fine, though he rather felt like accepting the comfort the man was silently offering.
"It's for the best.", he heard someone say and he turned to find Sally standing behind him.
He only nodded. Though if it was for the best, why did he feel as if he had suddenly lost everything? He turned back to watch the limo pulling off and he quelled the urge to go after it.
"Come on, we should get ready for your flight.", Heero suggested, gently leading Duo back to his trailer.
Duo willingly followed. He'd return to California and he'd try his best to forget about Chang Wufei.
-----------------------------
Wufei watched blankly out of the tinted window as the limo took him back to Fifth avenue. The driver had offered to take him straight home, but Wufei had declined. Besides he was going to take a little detour. His hand brushed against the spine of a book and he looked down on the seat beside him. There sat the gift that Duo had given him and the lump in his throat rose again at the thought. He had done the right thing in walking away, it could have never worked. He lifted the book in his hand, his finger running over the Mandarin chacacters.
He blinked away tears, now upset with himself for acting in such a manner. He had made the right choice, there was nothing that would convince him otherwise. Wufei pulled the book to his chest, laying down on the seat as he suddenly felt weary. He closed his eyes agaisnt another onslaught of tears that threatened to rise. If he had done the right thing, why did it feel so wrong?
T.B.C.
Ack! I took forever trying to get this posted and when I finally get to it I get writer's block. Sheesh. Well I hope you guys enjoyed this installment of the fic. Leave me your reviews and I'll try and get another chapter posted up here when I'm able. (School's starting. u.u) Ja!