Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Blood and Roses ❯ Leaving You Behind ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: Blood and Roses 5/?
Author: Ashurii (Jisatsuganbu on LJ.com aka CelestialDragon on FF.net)
E-mail: automatic_girl@orangeday.net
Rating: R ... ?
Series: Gundam Wing
Pairings: 1+2, 3x4, eventual 1x2x1
Warnings: Depressed Duo, cutting, lamenting Heero, angst, SAPPY SAP
Summary: Duo feels he is too far gone to ever come back to happiness, and cuts himself for release. Heero tries, but to no avail, to bring him back. How will Heero deal when Duo cuts himself deeper than he ever has before?
Notes for this Chapter: I've decided that the official song for this ficcy is "Pictures of You," by the Cure. I saw teh Robert on Fuse last night!

[~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~]

Sally' s black heels clicked noisily as she made her way down the hall to her new patient's room. Truth be told, after Heero had yelled at Suriah (scaring the woman enough to ask to be taken off as Duo's doctor) she was quite afraid of sticking her head into their business so soon. But, after the meeting she had just had with the other psychiatrists working in her wing of the hospital, she knew it was necessary. The thought of Heero's knife came back to her and she stopped abruptly - If the man was paranoid enough to carry around a knife with him, what else could he possibly have on him? She shook her head and kept walking - the boy may be upset, but he wasn't crazy enough to try and attack her, even though he had threatened her, too, before.

Of course, she had to tell her supervisor about that unpleasant encounter, which only spurred him to want to stop her from being Duo's doctor, and see to it that Heero got some kind of "anger management" help. She assured him it wasn't necessary, and knew she could do some real good in helping Duo, maybe even put him on the path to getting better.

That is, if Heero wasn't around anymore.

She rounded the corner and slowly opened the door, sighing when she found the room's occupants unchanged since her customary visit yesterday: Duo was still out, though by the way his heartbeat patterns were registering on the monitor, she could guess that he was awake but refusing to let Heero know it - even more proof to support Sally's theory; Heero was staring straight ahead at the wall, motionless and unblinking, looking as if he had slipped into a coma himself if not for his occasional blinking.

Sally sighed. This was going to be harder than she thought.

She knocked politely on the door, one hand still on the doorknob, and looked expectanly at Heero. He lazily lifted his head to see who it was, and upon noticing her let his head flop back into place, waving a hand in a gesture that said, "Do whatever it is you came to do."

"Actually," she whispered softly, not wanting to disturb her patient, "I wanted to have a few words with you. If you'd follow me to the reception room... ?" She gestured down the hall in the direction of the room she was refering to. Heero quirked an eyebrow at her, then cast a worried glance at Duo. "Don't worry, he'll be fine for a few moments. He needs his rest." Sally cast the Asian man a pleading glance, and he nodded once in acknowledgement, rising to follow her. She took her cue and turned, walking down the hall, knowing he was following her. She opened the door to the room to allow him inside, and he nodded his thanks, entering the room with downcast eyes. Sally sighed, rubbing her temples. "This is going to be much harder than I thought."

The Asian man had taken a seat on a plush-lined chair on the left side of the room. Sally grabbed a similar chair from the same wall, and placed it a respectable distance in front of his. She sat facing him, trying not to notice the indifferent stare he was giving her.

"Heero," She began, folding her hands in her lap and trying to come up with an easy way to break her news to the bruised and close to breaking man before her. "I know this is going to be hard for you to take, and even harder for you to understand, but you must believe me - this is for the best." Heero was peering at her with a confused look but said nothing, only waiting for her to continue her sentence. "You need to leave the hospital."

Heero blinked in confusion. "Well," he began in a low, craked voice. "for how long? I mean, do you want me to go out and do some errands for awhile? What time should I be back?"

Sally smiled sympathetically. "No, Heero. I need you to leave permanently - until he's better."

His eyes grew wide as she spoke, and his mouth opened in protest, but Sally raised a hand to stop him.

"Now, Heero," She began. "I know you don't like this idea, but you must believe me when I say this is for the best. You have to face the facts: Duo just isn't getting any better here. No matter what you say, you know truly that it isn't the fault of the staff, nor am I saying it's your fault. But I am saying that your presence here isn't exactly helping."

"How can you say that?" Heero growled, his anger flashing through his eyes. "I love him so much, I wouldn't do anything to keep him from getting better! All I want is for him to be well again!"

She held up a hand again to stop him from going on a rant, surprised at her own self control. "I know you're not, Heero. I'm not saying that at all."

"Then ... what do you mean?"

"In your presence, Duo sees his way out of what he percieves as a troubling situation. By pleasing you, he makes sure we see him acting as if he's happier. By pleasing you, when I read his journal all I read about is how you love him and are helping him get better. Duo writing things like that isn't telling me anything - in fact, his entries are just proving a tried and true theory about patients not only in Duo's situation, but also substance abusers and persons with anger problems: said patients cannot possibly get better unless they choose to do so themselves."

"So ..." Heero gazed at her, unwanting to believe what she was trying to say to him. "You ... don't think he wants to get better?"

Sally cocked her head to the side in thought. "Well, I personally think that in the back of his mind he really wants to, but when you feel completly lost you fear change above all else, and I think if he was released into your custody anytime soon, he would just cut himself again. And next time, he may not pull through."

She saw she was begining to get through to Heero, and decided to take a chance. Sally knew Heero was a proud man, and hitting him where it hurt would definitely get him to give up and agree with her. She only hoped she wasn't rashly judging him - if her plan backfired, he could become angry enough to check Duo out of the hosptial within the hour, and that wouldn't benefit anyone.

"You didn't honestly think he was getting better after only two days of being in the hosptial, did you?"

Heero dropped his eyes to the floor and Sally bit her lip, hating herself for doing what she had just done. Please, Heero, she pleaded in thought, just agree with me.

" ... Do you swear to me that you think this is the best for him?" he asked, never raising his eyes from the floor. "If I leave and he just gets worse-"

"I can honestly say to you that he will have to get worse before he gets better." Heero looked at her, disbelieving. She smiled softly. "If you truly think you've seen him hit 'rock bottom,' as they call it, I'm positive you shouldn't be here - for your own sake. Just be glad he's not a junkie, because this process would be so much harder for him." Heero smiled - he realized she was just poking fun at him to make up for how she had jabbed him earlier.

Heero wrung his hands. "If... Will you... ?"

Sally smiled, understanding his dilemma. "As soon as he starts to get better, he'll be allowed to call you if he wants to, and will be allowed to take calls if you want to talk to him. But, only on the condition that you give him complete space and freedom for as long as I deem he needs it. What he needs the most is to be isolated. Trust me, Heero." she added, pleading with him. He looked up into her eyes, and she saw he finally understood.

"Can I... say goodbye?"

"Of course," Sally said reassuringly. "Go get your things together, say goodbye, and I'll have one of the orderlies bring around your car. Alright?" Heero nodded stiffly. He was taking this hard but was trying to be strong; for Duo, no doubt. There was no question - this boy loved him, and would do anything for him ... even leave him. Sally had to admire that kind of devotion.

[~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~]

Duo had long since been sitting up, wondering where Heero had disappeared off to. The boy hadn't left his side since he had cut himself again, and he had begun to get used to the boy's presence. As soon as he had realized the boy was gone he had woken up. Sally hadn't checked in for her usual visit, and that worried Duo, as well. If he wasn't able to get his daily schmoozing session in, he was sure she would be bugging him constantly for a few days - she always did.

Just at that moment, Heero walked briskly into the room. Duo was about to make a comment, but realized Heero looked... different somehow. Driven with purpose, that's what it was. But what was it he had to do? Duo watched him silently for a few moments as he gathered his things together. He watched the Asian boy put on his shoes, which made Duo a bit uneasy, then watched as he put on his jacket, and Duo finally became alarmed - What in the hell was going on? Where was Heero going?

"... Heero?"

Heero turned slowly to look into Duo's confused face, and the braided man saw the tears welled up in his eyes. "Where... What's going on, Heero?" He asked, his voice taking on a worried tone as he sat up further in bed. Heero gulped, his bottom lip quivering.

"I .. I have... G-Goodbye, Duo." Heero forced himself to turn his head, look straight in front of him, take a deep breath and walk right out the door.

"Heero?! HEERO?!" Duo called after him, trying desperatly to get out of the bed, to go after him. Heero walked as fast as his legs would carry him, crying silently the whole way, listening to Duo scream his name.
"HEERO!!!"

[~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~]
... Oh my god, I'm so horrible. --; Feedback is craved - Comments? Questions? Flames? (Comment or Email: automatic_girl@orangeday.net)

Gah! *runs off before everyone attackles her*