Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Childhood Reborn ❯ Trowa Sneaks Out ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Jacinda chewed on her dinner a bit before going deciding to continue her polite prying. She watched as each boy ate and interacted with one another. Duo and Quatre seemed to be the most talkative while Heero, Wufei and Trowa would only speak unless spoken to. They smiled from time to time, but didn't seem as relaxed as their two counterparts were.
 
“So Quatre, L4 huh?” Jacinda said.
 
“Yes.” The boy smiled. “My home. I miss it a lot sometimes. My family too and friends”
 
“You have a lot of friends on L4?”
 
Quatre grinned.
 
“Well sort of, my sisters and my family's servants, but they are like friends and family to me so it works out both ways.”
 
Jacinda smiled seeing that at least one boy had seemed to have a semi-normal life before all this mess.
 
“I heard that's a pretty large desert colony.” Siero said.
 
Quatre nodded.
 
“Yeah it gets pretty hot in the day and then freezing at night.” He said. “It's especially nice though when the sun is rising and setting over the dunes. So many colors paint over the sands and at night when the stars come out there are thousands. You can see all the constellations and not even need a telescope.”
 
“Can you see the North Star?” Bastian asked. “Mama says that if I am ever lost to look for that star and follow it home.”
 
Quatre grinned widely.
 
“Your mama is right.” He said. “And yes, you can see the North Star from where I live. I used it once when I wandered too far away from home when I was little.”
 
“Kay.” Bastian said and went back to eating.
 
“What did you like to do on L4?” Siero asked the blonde boy.
 
Quatre shrugged.
 
“Just the normal things I guess, I like to play the violin and travel when I can, though its hard to with the war…”
“Though your idea of travel of sneaking out.” Duo said with a snicker.
 
Quatre cutely pouted.
 
“When you have someone like Rashid watching your back wouldn't you?” Quatre said.
 
“Well, that's what happens when you are sitting on a fortune!” Duo exclaimed.
 
Jacinda's eyes went up on that one as she got the connection.
 
“A fortune...wait a minute!” Jacinda turned to Quatre. “You're from the Winner family, that Arab family that is trying to help develop the colonies!?”
 
Quatre blushed.

“Yes.”
 
Siero whistled.
 
“Holy moley, that's one hell of a birth right.”
 
Quatre immediately became shy.
 
Jacinda shook her head.
 
“It's alright sweetheart, no need to get embarrassed.” She said. “I just didn't know you were from such a prominent family. I figured you guys were…I dunno some sort of rogue soldiers.”
 
“I am against everything OZ is doing and wanted to help.” Quatre said in almost a whisper. “I still love my family and want to help the colonies, but not just behind some desk or telephone. I wanted to stop them. I hate all this bloodshed.”
 
It was then his throat started to act up and he started coughing. Trowa immediately acted and gave Quatre some water. He continued to cough a little bit so Trowa kept a hand on his shoulder to steady the boy while Jacinda rubbed his back. Once he settled down he took a deep breath.
 
“I'm sorry.” Quatre whispered.
 
Jacinda smiled and kneeled down to him.
 
“No more talking.” She said. “I'm sorry if I got you upset in anyway. And I am with you on the bloodshed kiddo. It has to stop and you, all of you, are very brave to defeat OZ from what they have done.”
 
She stood up.
 
“Well at least now I know whose side you all are on.” She said as she looked at her guests. She knew it was break time.
 
“Who wants cake?”
 
That got Bastian and Duo cheering excitedly making the air much less tense. Jacinda got up and grabbed the cake while Siero grabbed the dinner dishes.
 
“We'll help you Jacinda.” Wufei offered as he began to gather some utensils, but found himself sitting back down.
 
“Not on that leg you won't.” She said. “You all have done enough work for one day. Just relax.”
 
Jacinda was in the middle of serving the slices of cake when suddenly there was a commotion outside.
 
“OUT, SCAT YOU MANGY THING!”
 
“JUST SHOOT THE DAMN MONGREL!”
 
Jacinda and the others bolted from their chairs and went outside to see what was going on. There was a small group of people circled in the middle of the village.
 
“What on earth is going on out here?” Jacinda demanded as she stepped forward. There in the middle was a mess of fur, wounds, and teeth.
 
“A dog?” She asked.
 
“Probably rabid Ms. Jacinda!” A woman yelled. “Tried to get after my little ones.”
 
Jacinda turned to the woman and the two children clutching at her skirt. She looked back over to the dog and saw that is was holding a small piece of meat in its teeth. The dog was skin and bones and looked like it hadn't eaten in days. It looked more scared than dangerous if anything else.
 
“Poor thing.” She uttered. Then she walked over to the two children and kneeled down to them.
 
“Did the dog come to you guys or did you go to him?”
 
“W-w-we saw him…today…when we went fishing.” The little boy spoke up.
 
Jacinda smiled.
“Uh huh…and did he follow you when you went home today or did you want him to follow you?”
 
A small girl peeked out.
 
“He looked hungry.” She said.
 
Jacinda started to get the picture and looked up at the woman.
 
“And what did you serve for dinner tonight Dalu?”
 
The woman shrugged.
 
“Just some potatoes and the fish the children had caught.” She said.
 
“I see.” Jacinda eyed the mangled meat in the dog's teeth. “Did you happen to notice you are missing a fish or two Dalu?”
 
“What!” The woman turned and then her face became grim.
 
“Of all the…” Dala yelled. “That was a leftover for tomorrow, I had put all the rest in the fridge! I must have had my back turned for one second…” She looked down at her now nervous children.
 
“Why you little scamps!” She scolded. “Do you have any idea what you have done?! This dog could have hurt you or the people here in the village!! Now its going to keep coming back!”
 
“But Ma, we always wanted a dog!” The boy defended
 
“And he was very hungry, he liked my lunch!!” Yelled the daughter. “We just wanted to help him, so we hid him in the yard until we could get him some food.”
 
Jacinda laughed.
 
“I see time outs in your futures kids.” Jacinda said. “Now about the dog…”
 
However, before Jacinda could assess it, the dog had found an escape route and hurried back into the woods. The group meanwhile began to diminish.
 
“Alright disaster averted.” Jacinda yelled. “Everyone go home!”
 
“But what if he comes back!?”
 
“Just let him be.” Jacinda said. “Or get one of us. We'll see to it that he doesn't harm anyone.”
She turned to her group.
 
“Now that that's done back to cake!” She said with a smile. That had Bastian and Duo racing to the house while the rest walked inside. Everyone that is…except Trowa.
 
Quatre turned to see Trowa still looking out to where the dog had been. He was quiet, but his eyes were glazed like he was angry.
 
“Trowa, are you coming in?” He asked. “The dog is gone now.”
 
“Yeah I know.” Trowa said quietly.
 
“He must have been abused in town or maybe by some wild animal.” Jacinda said. “Poor guy probably has had nothing to eat for days.”
 
Trowa said nothing and Jacinda and Quatre could sense it would be better not to ask him anymore.
 
Later on that night everyone was tucked safely back in their respective beds. Even Jacinda herself had retired to her own room for the night. Trowa meanwhile hadn't been blessed yet with sleep's invitation. He lay awake for a long time; his mind was full of annoyance at how the villagers had treated that animal. They had no right to do what they did, ganging up on it, threatening to harm it, all because some kids were too scared to tell their mother the truth. Finally he couldn't take it anymore. He got up quietly once he knew for certain the four other pilots were asleep. Silently, he slunk out of the room and down the hall. It was the dead of night so he had to use his soldier instincts to maneuver through the hall and down the stairs. Passing by the fridge he made a quick pit stop. Then he unbolted the door and out he went.
 
It was pitch black outside, but Trowa knew the right ways to go. He stood at the edge of the forest and kneeled down. Whistling lightly, his ears picked up the sound of a bush rustling. He turned and saw the dog from before peek out from around a corner.
 
Trowa smiled gently and motioned with his hand to come forward. When that didn't work, he pulled out a piece of chicken from his pocket.
 
“Here you are.” He whispered and stepped back giving the dog a chance to come out on its own. Hunger took over the dog and it timidly stepped forward and sniffed at the meat. Sensing it was safe, he began to chew vigorously on it.
 
Trowa took that as a chance to step forward. His heart ached as he came closer and saw the wounds on its body. They weren't animal attack marks; they were the marks of humans, probably from the other town Jacinda had mentioned. Carefully he kneeled once more. For a second the dog jumped back afraid, but Trowa held out his hand palm in. The dog sniffed at it and soon carefully began to nuzzle it. Trowa smiled as he began pulling more food out of his pockets.
 
“I know it's small.” He said. “But I can bring you more if you would like. I promise I won't let anyone hurt you again.”
 
The dog didn't protest as he gnawed happily at the food Trowa gave him, allowing the young Latin to pet him and give him love that he hadn't felt in a long time. Trowa just smiled gently and sat on the ground and pet him warmly. He would definitely see about sneaking a first aid kit out later on.