Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Chimaera ❯ Chapter 9 ( Chapter 9 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G'boys, I just borrow them from time to time to play with and return them a whole lot happier, ne?

Rating: NC 17

Warnings: Yaoi, Lemon, sap, angst, Male Pregnancy, medical themes

Pairings: 1x2x1

Archive: http://gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com

http://sweetlysour.net.

http://adultfanfiction.net

http://www.theforsakenwk.com

Many thanks to DBZVelena, Ryouga and Yami_Tai for the beta. Also thanks to Yami_Tai for the title of this fic.

Notes: Set partially during the series but main bulk after the war. EW didn't take place. The Eve wars are finished and the peace retained. The pilots have all gone their own ways, Heero and Duo have made a life together both working for Preventer when Duo's world is turned upside down as his unknown past comes back to haunt him.

Dedication: To Velena who gave me the plot bunny for this little gem.

Status: In progress.

~ Indicates flashbacks ~

/ thoughts /

"Chimaera"

October. 2003 ShenLong

Chapter 9

Heero sat upon his bed while Duo was in the bathroom. He was hurt and confused at Duo's unusual behavior, not to mention more than a little pissed off. He thought they had been making progress and that Duo wanted a little more of the physical side in their relationship. Heero had never been one to show much in the way of physical affection, hell, he'd been pushing it just to show emotion.

He had Duo to thank in many ways for drawing him out of his shell and showing him the advantages that being friends with the other pilots could have. Gradually the part of J's training that had been responsible for the locking away of his emotions had been worn away and they had come forth with a vengeance; and Heero had welcomed them.

The behavior that Duo was exhibiting had him confused as well as hurt and he was determined to get to the bottom of it. They had agreed to communicate more freely, to let the other know when they were hurting or upset and Heero had tried valiantly to stick to this, managing to do so most of the time and here was Duo going against everything they had agreed upon.

Heero frowned as he picked at the comforter and tried to figure out just what he'd done wrong. The sound of the toilet flushing drew his attention back to the problem at hand and he listened carefully to hear the door open and the sounds of Duo's footsteps returning to their room. He didn't have to wait long.

Duo washed his hands and splashed some cold water on his face. He looked at his pale reflection in the mirror. The stomach cramps had eased a little but he was worried about the blood he'd seen. It hadn't been a whole lot but enough to scare him. "I really need to get checked out," he whispered to his reflection. He was pretty sure it was just a hemorrhoid that had ruptured; after all the amount of physical work they'd been doing this past week or two, he was surprised he hadn't ruptured more than just that. Some of the lifting was pretty hard going and he'd felt the strain on more than one occasion to his abdomen. He made himself a promise; if it hadn't settled down in a couple of days, he would make an appointment and see someone about it.

Blowing his bangs out of his face he thought he had better return to the bedroom and face Heero. The guy was sure to be pissed off at him and want some answers, the only thing was, Duo didn't have any to explain his short temper.

Heero held his breath as Duo walked back into the bedroom. He resisted the urge to draw his boyfriend into a warm embrace, opting to watch silently from the bed instead.

/Shit, he must really be pissed,/ Duo thought. He turned his back and made like he was contemplating going to bed. Actually that was all he really wanted to do but he knew it was coming. He heard Heero clear his throat and braced himself.

"Duo?"

"Yes?"

"We need to talk."

Duo turned and sat upon his bed, his gaze wandered around the room looking at anything other than Heero. "Fine. Let's talk then." He could feel a niggle of irritation starting again but tried to squash it.

"What happened, Duo? Did I do something wrong? Did I hurt you? You have to tell me, Duo, I can't read your mind. The last time we went to the movies you were only too willing to have me touch you and cuddle you, in fact you wanted more and now this time...." Heero threw his hands up in the air. "...This time you shove me away and snap my head off. What the hell is going on?"

Duo lowered his eyes and reached for his braid, playing with the tufted end while he contemplated Heero's words. There was an explanation due, he knew that but how could he tell Heero what was wrong when he didn't know himself?

"I think it's just all the stress with the scrap yard, you know, all these orders coming in and deadlines to meet. I guess I'm just a little short tempered and feeling the strain." It was a weak excuse Duo knew, but it was the best he could come up with at the moment.

Heero stood up and walked across the short distance between their beds. He sat down next to Duo and put his arm around the American's shoulders. "We're all stressed, Duo."

Duo's head snapped up. "You don't fucking believe me?!" His eyes were blazing, the fury taking over once more.

Heero recoiled. /What have I said?/ "I'm not saying that I don't believe you, Duo, I'm saying that we are all stressed at the moment but you don't see Hilde or me snapping each others heads off."

Duo growled. "Maybe you just deal with stress better than I do, Mr. fucking perfect." As soon as the words were out Duo regretted them immediately. He saw the pain flash through Heero's eyes and mentally belted himself one for being the cause. "Heero... I'm sorry, I didn't..."

Heero stiffened as the words ripped through him. He removed his arm and stood up, body rigid he turned to Duo and spoke in a short, clipped tone. "I'm sorry you feel that way, Duo. I'll leave you alone as you requested. If and when you have calmed down enough I'll be waiting to talk." With that Heero spun on his heel and left the room.

"Way to fucking go, Maxwell." Duo chided himself. He stood up and stripped off his jeans and shirt, slipping between the sheets and laying his aching head on the pillow. He really needed to try and sort this out with Heero. He had to apologize properly and see if Heero could forgive him for his short fuse. Tossing and turning for a while he finally drifted into a troubled sleep.

Heero reentered the bedroom a while later, thinking it best to just let Duo be. Hopefully the braided one would have given some thought to his words and be in a much better frame of mind come the morning. Seeing Duo asleep, Heero removed his own clothes and climbed into bed, tomorrow would bring a whole new day and the chance to make up.

~ * ~

The artificial light of the colony awoke Heero and he stretched his weary body. He looked across the room to see that Duo's bed was empty. He could hear the sound of running water in the distance and deducted that his partner was taking a shower. Rolling out of the bed Heero quickly pulled on a pair of shorts and coveralls before turning to make his bed. Once his side of the room was tidy he looked over at Duo's rumpled linen. He walked across and quickly made Duo's bed for him. He noticed Duo's clothes strewn around the floor, some in a sort of haphazard pile which Heero guessed was laundry and so the Japanese man gathered the clothes together, intent on taking them to the laundry basket ready to be washed. As he bent to pick up a pair of Duo's boxers, he froze.

He studied the stained satin material closely, his eyes opening wide as he realized what the stain was.

Blood.

Duo's blood.

He frowned to himself. Duo hadn't mentioned that he was still having problems with bleeding. Heero thought back to the war when Duo had first bled and the ensuing explanation. Duo had promised to get it looked at and as far as Heero knew he had. /Didn't he say that G had checked him out and given him the all clear?/

/If that was the case why then was there blood on Duo's boxers? Unless.../ Visions of rape assaulted Heero's mind and he quickly pushed them away. /No, Duo hasn't been anywhere without Hilde or me for long enough for something like that to happen. Besides there would have been other signs had Duo been attacked./ The bedroom door swung open and Heero jumped a mile, spinning around to see the object of his current thoughts walk in clad in a soft fluffy towel.

"Morning, Heero," Duo began and then noticed the uncomfortable look on Heero's face. His eyes darted to Heero's arms where he held Duo's clothes... a pair of boxers clutched in one hand.... his boxers... the ones with the blood on them.

/Fuck! I meant to put them out of the way./ Duo thought as a tremor of fear ran up his spine, the fear was quickly replaced with anger though. /What gives him the right to go through my clothes?/ "Ummm... what are you doing, Heero?" Duo tried to keep his voice level.

"I thought I would collect all the dirty clothes and take them down to the laundry." Heero's eyes locked with Duo's. "Duo......?" His voice was hesitant.

"What, Heero?" Duo knew what was coming and really didn't want to answer.

"Where did the blood come from?"

Duo felt as though a bucket of cold water had been dumped over him. He swallowed nervously.

"I think I must still have a small problem with hemorrhoids. With all this strain in the scrap yard the past few days I think I have ruptured one."

"I thought you had Dr. G take a look at you ages ago and he said everything was fine?"

"He did, Heero. Look, what is your fucking problem? So I have a busted blood vessel up my ass, it's no big deal. It's part of the legacy from the war all right?! You can't expect to be sitting on cold OZ cell floors and pushing your body to the limits like we had too and get off scott free Heero. We all came out of the war with some form of scarring; this is mine. It isn't bothering me so just fucking drop it will you!?"

Heero took a step back, the ferocity of the outburst taking him by surprise. "You really should get it looked at, Duo," he said quietly. "I worry about you."

Duo's face clouded with anger and he reached forwards to snatch the offending garment from Heero's hand. "What are you, Heero? My fucking keeper? In case you have forgotten there is a scrap yard out there that is snowed under with orders. I don't have fucking time to go see someone, 'sides, it's stopped bleeding now and I feel fine." Duo spun and went to the closet, tossing the boxers inside and yanking out a pair of coveralls for himself. He fetched a fresh pair of boxers from the drawer and pulled them up over his legs and under the towel.

Heero watched, uncertain of what to do but not willing to let the subject drop either. Even if Duo wasn't going to admit it Heero knew that hemorrhoids could be dangerous and he really wanted Duo to get himself looked at.

"You still here, Heero?"

Heero looked up. "Just going."

"Good. I'll be down in a few for breakfast, just gonna braid this mess first." Duo waved at his hair.

Heero turned to leave, still puzzling over Duo's stubbornness. As he opened the door, so the shrill call of the vid 'phone hit his ears. He began to head for the stairs and heard Hilde take the call. Only being able to hear her side of the conversation Heero didn't really take any notice, his mind still on Duo so when Hilde called out to him it didn't register at first.

"Heero?! Hey, Heero!"

"Huh?" Heero looked up from half way down the stairs.

"Call for you and Duo." Hilde stood with her hands on her hips. "Come on, it's long distance."

"It is?"

Hilde sighed. "Heero, get your butt down here now, Wufei is on the line and he wants to talk to you and Duo."

"Wufei?" Heero's face changed and a flicker of a smile crossed his features. "Duo's still in the bedroom..."

"I'll go fetch him, you get here now and talk to Wufei." Hilde shot past the dazed ex-pilot, taking the steps two at a time in her haste to get Duo.

Heero descended the stairs quickly and came into view of the vid 'phone. "Hello Chang. To what do we owe this pleasure?"

Wufei's calm features graced the small screen. "About time, Yuy. What on earth are you carrying?"

"Oh, gomen." Heero realized he still had his arms full of dirty clothes. He hastily dropped them to the floor. "Umm, laundry," he muttered.

Wufei laughed. "Finally became domesticated did you, Yuy?"

Heero gave him a scowl.

"Is Duo there?"

"Hai. Hilde has just gone to get him."

"Good. What I am calling in regards to concerns both of you."

Now Heero's curiosity was piqued. He knew that Duo had kept in contact with the rest of the pilots after the war ended and that they had helped Duo try to find him. Once he'd returned Duo had wasted no time in letting the rest of the group know where he was and that he was all right. Duo had also given Heero the low down on what the rest of the pilots were up to now. Heero hadn't spoken with them though, until now. He'd been too ashamed of his hasty departure and the heartache he'd caused Duo and knew the other three would love to take a piece out of of him for committing such a thoughtless act. Hopefully by now they had also forgiven him. The sound of Duo bounding down the stairs returned his mind from its wanderings.

"Hey, Wuffers, long time no chat! So what can we do for you?" Duo was grinning his usual manic smile and Heero was a little relieved to see the good humor had returned. Didn't mean he had forgotten about the little incident though and he intended to press at Duo until the former Deathscythe pilot either sought medical help or decked him.

"Good to see you too, Maxwell," Wufei replied, ignoring the blatant misuse of his name. He'd learnt a long time ago that the more he bit the more Duo would delight in tormenting him by altering his name. If he ignored it for long enough maybe it would eventually go away. Yeah, right. The chances of that happening were about as great as the chance of Trowa and Quatre dancing Swan Lake in fluorescent tutu's in Trafalgar Square! "I take it you are both well?"

"Doing just fine and dandy, Wu-man," Duo replied darting Heero a quick glare from the corner of his eye.

"That is good to hear because I have a proposition for you."

Duo's eyes narrowed and Heero leaned forth to hear a little better. "What proposition?" Heero asked.

Wufei fixed the screen with a determined look. "As you know I now work for the Preventer Organization."

Both men nodded.

"The organization is responsible for keeping the peace we fought so hard for."

"And they do a great job, Wuffy." Duo interrupted.

Wufei gave him a scowl. Heero yanked on Duo's braid. "Quiet, baka, and let Wufei finish."

Duo gave Heero an offended look and retrieved his braid from the golden hand that held it.

"Preventer is training new agents all the time but we desperately need fully trained people, people with skills that go beyond the norm, skills like hacking, stealth, recon..."

"In other words, Wuffy, people like us," Duo finished for him.

"Yes. Lady Une, who heads the department, has asked me to contact you both and offer you each a place within the field agents section of Preventer."

Both Heero and Duo stood in silence for a while as the request sank in.

"I do not need an answer right away. I suggest you both think about it and call me back. You will be paid excellent wages and Preventer has its own accommodation for its agents so living arrangements are already taken care of. We would prefer to have both of you but if only one of you wishes to join then that is fine too. Please, give it some serious thought and call me in a day or two to let me know of your decision, also if you have any further questions then feel free to contact either myself or Une."

Heero's head was whirling. /A job offer with Preventer?/ It was something that really appealed to Heero. He was so caught up in the new proposition that all thoughts of Duo and his bloodied boxers disappeared from his mind. He quickly looked at Duo and could see the excitement shining in those amethyst depths, only for it to fade a moment later.

"Thank you, Wufei, I will discuss this at length with Duo and we will call you back in two days with our answer."

"I'll wait for your call. Chang out."

/Trust Wufei to still act as though he was communicating by radio./ Heero thought with a wry smile. He cut the connection and turned to look at Duo. "So, what do you think, Duo?"

Duo looked up at him. "It's a great opportunity, Heero, and one I think you should take..."

"I should take? What about you?"

"Hilde needs me, Heero. I can't just walk away from the scrap yard with all this work on, she'd never cope." Duo shook his head, the sadness in his violet eyes tearing into Heero's heart.

~ * ~

tbc........