Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Chimaera ❯ Chapter 62 ( Chapter 62 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G'boys, I just borrow them from time to time to play with and return them a whole lot happier, ne?

Rating: NC 17

Warnings: Yaoi, Lemon, sap, angst, Male Pregnancy, medical themes, WAFF, humor.

Pairings: 1x2x1

Archive: http://gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com

http://sweetlysour.net.

http://adultfanfiction.net

http://www.theforsakenwk.com

Many thanks to Ryouga and Yami_Tai for the beta. Also thanks to Yami_Tai for the title of this fic.

Notes: Set partially during the series but main bulk after the war. EW didn't take place. The Eve wars are finished and the peace retained. The pilots have all gone their own ways, Heero and Duo have made a life together both working for Preventer when Duo's world is turned upside down as his unknown past comes back to haunt him.

Dedication: To Velena who gave me the plot bunny for this little gem.

Status: In progress.

~ Indicates flashbacks ~

/ thoughts /

"Chimaera"

October. 2003 ShenLong

Chapter 62.

Heero raced into the bedroom, his heart in his mouth. "Duo!" he yelled as he tore across the carpet to the bed where his lover lay, scrabbling, screaming and shaking. "Duo! Are you okay? What's wrong?" He grabbed his partner by the shoulders and pulled him close.

Duo felt Heero's arms around him and instinctively burrowed into the safety of his lover's embrace. Heero's words managed to find their way into his panicked mind and he opened his mouth, the words coming out in shaking, sobs. "Blood, I think," he gasped and nodded to the bed sheets.

Heero's eyes turned immediately towards the sheets where the dark red, congealing mess lay in stark contrast to the white linen. "Fuck! Duo, there was blood on my penis as well. I... I think I may have done something. Oh, god, Duo. I'm sorry, I'm so sorry." Heero quickly tried to gather his wits about him. He needed to check his lover. "I need you to lie back and let me check you, Duo."

"Hurts, Heero," Duo moaned and clung tighter to Heero as another dull pain arched through his abdomen.

"Where does it hurt?" Heero was almost panicking himself but somehow managed to shove it back down and keep his mind relatively clear and focused.

"Belly," moaned Duo. "The baby, Heero. Something's wrong with the baby." Duo's voice was beginning to border on the hysterical.

"Hold on, Duo. I'm going to call Sally." Heero tried to lay his partner completely on the bed but Duo's grip only tightened.

"No, need you here. Don't leave me," he cried softly.

"Hush, Duo," Heero crooned as he stroked Duo's hair, sensing his partner was in desperate need of reassurance. "I need to call Sally. You need medical assistance that I can't provide. I don't know what's wrong but we need to get you taken care of and Sally's the only one that can do that. I'm only going across to get the 'phone, I won't be gone for more than a second or two, okay?"

Reluctantly Duo released his death grip and allowed Heero to lay him back down. Clutching at his belly he curled up a little, trying to ease some of the pain that was passing through his gut. Heero moved fast; off the bed and grabbing the 'phone he was punching in Sally's cell number and back on the bed before Duo was even aware his lover had moved.

Rubbing Duo's arm and shoulders, Heero waited impatiently for the call to connect. His fear was still held in check for the moment, the need to get help for his hurt lover taking precedent over everything else. After six rings the 'phone was answered.

"Sally Po here."

"Sally, it's Heero. We have an emergency."

"Heero? What is it?" Sally's tone was short and clipped.

The soldier training in Heero suddenly came forth. "Duo is bleeding, how bad I cannot tell. Pain to the belly region as well."

"How much blood loss; how long and where in the belly is the pain?" Even as Sally spoke she was summoning Nurse Brown through her pager.

"Unsure as to amount. Loss only detected a few minutes ago and pain is in lower abdomen to groin area. We were... " Heero swallowed hard but the choke was still in his voice when he spoke. "We had been making love and I noticed blood on myself when I went to clean up. Duo also spotted it in the, ummm... resulting leakage. Sally...I think I may have..."

"No, Heero!" Sally snapped, cutting the Japanese man off. "It wouldn't have been the sex." Although Sally couldn't be sure about that she highly doubted that Heero, given the talk they'd had in regard to sex while Duo was pregnant, would have harmed Duo or the baby. "It could be any number of things but I need to get him here to the hospital as soon as possible and find out what is wrong. Hold on a sec…" Sally lowered the cell to speak with Nurse Brown who had answered the page and now stood in the doorway of Sally's office. "Major problem, Duo is bleeding rectally."

The nurse paled a little but then nodded, her mouth forming a thin line, brows knitting together as she accepted the situation.

"Call for the ambulance and tell them to pick me up from out front of the main doors. While I'm gone alert Doctor G and then prep treatment room one. You know what equipment we will need, have it all there. I'll contact you and update once I have some idea of what is going on."

"Consider it done," replied the nurse and left to make the arrangements, the haste in her step indicating how worried she was for the young man she'd affectionately begun to think of as one of her own.

Sally returned to the 'phone and Heero. "Heero, listen carefully. I want you to find some gauze and pack it around Duo's anus. Don't insert any of it inside, just use it as a pad to absorb the blood, this will let me know how bad the bleeding is. I've called for the ambulance and I'm coming with it. I'll let you know once we're en-route, which should be any moment now, what our ETA should be. Meanwhile sit tight, keep him calm and do not, I repeat, do not move him or give him anything for the pain. Until I know what it is we are dealing with, he can't have any meds at all as they may cause more harm than good; is that all clear?" Sally had grabbed her bag and was heading through the building to the main doors as she spoke.

"Roger that, Sally. I'll make sure the security is off so you can come straight in."

Sally pushed through the doors, relieved to see the ambulance just pulling up. "We're on our way, Heero; we should be there in about..." Sally looked at her watch then passed her bag to the ambulance officer. "Hang on a second, Heero." Sally climbed into the ambulance and gave the driver the address; the driver punched the information into the GPS [1] then gave the doctor the information. "Should be there in ten, fifteen tops." The ambulance pulled away from the building.

"Arigato, Sally. Please, hurry." Heero's voice began to crack.

"See you soon, Heero." Sally disconnected the call and the ambulance driver hit the lights and sirens, pushing the vehicle to its limits as it tore through the streets on its mercy journey.

***

Heero dropped the 'phone to the bed and turned his full attention back to his shaking lover. Stroking the damp bangs away from Duo's forehead he pressed a kiss to the clammy skin. "Sally is on her way, Duo, everything is going to be okay but I need to get some gauze and take care of you until Sally gets here." Heero quickly went through to the bathroom and fetched a thick pad of gauze from the first aid kit; returning with the pad he grabbed a pair of briefs for his lover and a fresh pair of boxers, sweat pants and shirt for himself, tugging them on quickly.

Back at the bed he managed to pack the gauze around Duo's anus as Sally had requested, biting his lip at the blood and semen he saw trickling from the small hole. It did nothing to alleviate his fears, instead only serving to heighten his distress. With the pad in place he managed to pull the briefs over his lover's feet and up his legs, covering his groin and holding the pad firmly in place. A quick call on the intercom to Harim ensured that the security was turned off and a promise given to answer questions later. With all that done there was nothing left for Heero to do than sit with his lover, keep him calm and do his best to reassure Duo that everything would be okay. Gently rubbing his hand across Duo's back he tried again to settle his partner's fears. "Sally will be here in about ten minutes, Duo. She will take care of you, everything will be fine."

"No, it won't," moaned Duo softly. "I'm going to lose the baby; I can feel it, Heero." Duo's stomach was twisted in knots, the pain in his belly had returned to the dull throb but the fear of losing his child had taken over, consuming him completely.

"Iie, Duo. You're not going to lose the baby," Heero replied, trying to keep his voice as calm as he could, which wasn't easy when all he really wanted to do was scream at the whole situation. Never had he felt so helpless, unable to do a thing other than stand by and watch his partner suffering. "Sally won't let that happen, Duo. *I* won't let that happen. We've come too far to lose this child now and so help me I'll do anything, anything I can, to keep both you and the baby safe. I don't care what it takes, I'll do it," Heero said fiercely.

"Won't make any difference, Heero," murmured Duo. "It's always the same. All my life anything and everything I've ever loved has been taken away; why should this be any different?"

Heero's heart tore at the defeated tone in Duo's voice. He lowered himself closer and gently wound his arms around Duo. "No, little mother, you're wrong this time. This time you have me with you, this time you have someone to share the fight with, watch your back. I will be there with you every step of the way. Duo; this is my child too and if it's got my genes and yours then this baby isn't going to give up easily."

Pain filled amethyst greeted him. "How can you be so sure?" Duo sobbed quietly.

"Trust me, Duo. This child is a part of me and a part of you so let's face it, it's going to be one hell of a stubborn, aggressive, cheeky, intelligent, smart assed kid and there is no way I can see a child of ours giving up without a fight, especially with you as its mother."

Duo managed a watery smile and reached for Heero's hand, squeezing it tight. "I hope you meant that this kid gets the cheeky, smart assed and stubborn bit from you," he managed to say with a touch of himself returning.

Heero gave him a genuine smile and squeezed his hand back. "I think that's a debatable point."

Duo sighed and blinked his eyes, a tear escaping. "It hurts, Heero, and I'm scared," he managed to say.

"Oh, Duo," replied Heero, his voice thick with emotion. "I wish I could take the pain away for you and I'm scared too, but Sally will be here soon and I know she will make it better for you." Heero had no idea if Sally would be able to do anything, it all depended on what exactly the problem was but he had faith in the woman; if she couldn't help Duo and their child then no one could.

"You need to think positive here, Duo, don't let this defeat you. You're stronger than that, I know you are. Fight back, if not for me then for the baby." He was fast running out of ideas of words to say to comfort his partner. Never had he wished more than now that he could be like Quatre who always appeared to have just the right words on the tip of his tongue for moments of crisis.

"What if Sally can't help me, Heero? What if I lose the baby?" Duo's voice hitched as he fought to control his tears.

"Don't say that, Duo," Heero scolded, a little more harshly than he'd intended. He was simply terrified himself that Sally wouldn't be able to do anything to help Duo or the child; after all, this pregnancy was completely new territory for all of them. "I'm sure that Sally, Nurse Brown and even Doctor G will do everything they can to assist you. I know that G has been doing a lot of research so who knows what he's managed to find out. And..." Heero paused to try and rid himself of the lump in his throat. "And if the very worst should happen, then it happens and we will deal with it; regardless of the outcome I will be here for you. I love you, Duo and I'm not going to give up on you or the baby."

Heero buried his face against Duo's neck, unable to stop the tears from forming and unwilling to let his lover see them. Duo was distressed enough without seeing his partner fall apart in front of him. Heero had to be strong, his lover needed at least that much from him, needed to draw on Heero's strength for the battle ahead.

"Love you too, Heero," Duo whispered.

Heero's attention was diverted as he heard the sounds of sirens in the distance, getting louder as they neared the estate. "Sally's nearly here, Duo. Won't be long now." He brushed his lips over Duo's forehead; he didn't like the coolness or paleness of his lover's skin at all. Swallowing his fear he turned his head, the sound of the siren getting closer now. "Duo, I'm going downstairs to open the door and let Sally in. I'll be right back, okay?"

Duo could only manage a nod of his head. He'd begun to feel rather light-headed and nauseous, his skin crawled and he felt cold.

Heero tugged the blankets up and wrapped them tightly around Duo. "Be right back, little mother." With a concerned look at his partner, Heero left the room, taking the stairs three at a time and nearly breaking his neck as he slipped and grabbed the hand rail. The siren was really loud now and Heero could see the flashing lights that accompanied the wail. Racing to the front door he flung it open as the ambulance pulled to a halt, siren and lights ceasing. The sudden silence was deafening. The doors flung open and Sally jumped out, bag in hand and shot up the front steps.

"Where is he and how is he doing?" she demanded as Heero grabbed the bag from her.

"Upstairs in our bedroom. He's... I don't know about the blood loss, haven't checked but he's cold and clammy, pale complexion and still in pain. I think he's going into shock. Sally...?"

Sally turned to look at Heero as they raced up the stairs.

"Sally, I'm scared for him."

Sally knew how much it cost Heero to say those words, one look at his pinched, drawn face showed the depth of concern Heero had for his partner. "I'll do everything I can, Heero," she said softly. Further conversation was halted as they reached the bedroom and went inside. Instantly Sally was at the bed side, her professionalism taking over.

Heero followed and set the doctor's bag down next to Duo on the bed then turned to see if he could be of assistance.

"Heero? Could you go back down to the officers and have them fetch the gurney from the ambulance please. I want them to bring it up here but wait outside until I call for them. I want to examine Duo and stabilize him before we move him."

Heero nodded.

"I'd like you also to wait outside. Once I'm finished or if I need you I will call for you, okay?"

"I'd rather stay with him," protested Heero.

"I know, Heero, but I would prefer it for both your sakes if you would stay outside." Sally's voice was kind but firm.

"Okay," replied Heero, the defeat evident in his tone. "I will go and inform the ambulance officers now." Heero turned and with one last concerned look at Duo, he left, pulling the door to on his way out.

With Heero now gone, Sally could fully concentrate on her patient. She opened her bag and pulled out her thermometer and pressed it to Duo's ear. The contraption beeped and she removed it, frowning when she read the numbers. Duo's temperature was pushing 39 degrees Celsius, not a good sign. She picked up her small flashlight and shone it across Duo's eyes, noting the contraction and expansion of the pupils. The blood pressure unit followed next and Sally wrote down the numbers, chewing her lip as she did so. Duo's blood pressure was high. "Duo? Can you hear me? It's Sally."

Duo was fading in and out of consciousness and vaguely heard Sally's voice. It sounded like it was a million miles away but he forced his mind to cooperate and managed to speak. "Hey, Sal. Thanks for coming."

Sally smiled. "Duo, can you tell me exactly where the pain is?"

"Ahhh... down here," Duo replied as he slid his hand down his swollen belly to rest just underneath.

Sally lifted the blankets back and followed Duo's hand to his groin area. "What sort of a pain is it, Duo?"

"Dull, aching. Feels like someone is turning a fist around inside me."

Letting her fingers gently press over Duo's abdomen, Sally concentrated hard on trying to detect anything unusual. "Tell me if it hurts when I press anywhere," she said softly as she probed around.

"There, it hurts just there," gasped Duo as Sally pressed against a tender spot.

"Sorry, Duo," Sally apologized and removed her fingers. "I'm going to need to pull your briefs down a little to check the padding and see if I can determine the amount of blood loss, is that okay, Duo?"

"Okay." Duo shivered. "Cold," he muttered.

"I know, I'll be as quick as I can," said Sally in a comforting voice. She gently eased Duo's briefs over his buttocks and left them at the top of his thighs. Carefully she lifted the gauze padding and checked the state of it, a frown coming to her face. Softly pressing the padding back into place, she pulled Duo's briefs back up and tucked the blankets back into place. Opening her bag again she pulled out a syringe and fitted a needle to the tip, plunging it into a bottle of clear liquid and drawing some back into the syringe. Dropping the bottle back into her bag she retrieved an alcohol swab then lifted the blankets back enough to be able to reach Duo's arm.

"I'm going to give you a shot of morphine, Duo. It's only a low dose, enough to dull the pain so we can transport you to Preventer hospital where I can conduct more thorough tests." Sally swabbed the upper arm and then injected the morphine. "You should feel a little better in a minute or so."

"Are you going to tell me what's wrong? Is the baby okay? Am I going to lose the child?" Duo's voice was cracking as he spoke; he still hadn't shifted in the bed, too scared to move lest he do more damage.

"I think you have what's called a `placental abruption', Duo. I cannot be completely sure until I get you back to the hospital and do further tests. I'd say though that I am correct in the diagnosis."

"What's a placental abruption?"

"Basically it means that the placenta is separating from the wall of the uterus. I'll explain it all in detail to you once we get back to the hospital and I've had the chance to check you out properly. If it is an abruption then we need to know how severe the separation is and treat it accordingly."

"It doesn't sound very promising."

"Duo, sometimes the placenta will come partially away but women still carry their child to full term and deliver a happy, healthy baby..."

"But..." said Duo softly.

Sally sighed. "There are rare occasions where the placenta has torn away too much... In those cases it's usually best to deliver the baby as soon as possible."

"My baby won't survive if it's delivered now, will it, Sally?" Duo's voice quavered.

"No, Duo. If this child is to be born now then I'm afraid it won't survive. It's body, although most of the organs and such are fully formed, would not be capable of sustaining the child's life."

Duo's eyes closed and a soft sob escaped his throat, his hands automatically wrapped around his belly in a defensive manner.

"I'm going to call the ambulance men in now, Duo, and we're going to take you to the hospital where I can fully assess what's going on with you and check that the baby is okay."

"Want Heero."

"Of course." Sally stood up and went to the door, opening it and motioning for the ambulance officers to step inside. Before she let Heero in though, she had a quick word with the Japanese man. "Heero, this isn't looking too good. I'm pretty sure that Duo has experienced what we call a placental abruption, which is where the placenta begins to separate from the uterine wall. Until I can get him to the hospital and run my tests I have no idea of how bad the separation is or if it's still pulling away. The severity of the separation will determine the baby's chances of survival. I just want you to be prepared for any outcome."

Heero swallowed hard and nodded his head. He didn't trust his voice to speak. His blood felt like ice in his veins, his heart was continuously shifting from his rib cage to his toes and the empty, hollow pain in his chest appeared determined to stay. He watched as the ambulance officers carefully lifted his lover from the bed and placed him on his side on the gurney, covering him immediately with a thick, cellular blanket. As they began to leave the room so Heero grabbed a small duffle from the closet and hastily shoved a pair of pajamas, change of briefs and Duo's toothbrush inside, then grabbing his cell 'phone, followed the officers, Sally and his pregnant partner down the stairs and out of the mansion.

~ * ~

tbc...

[1] GPS. Global Positioning System. This nifty little gadget will navigate you to your chosen destination via the shortest route possible. I'm lucky enough to have one in my car and it's great!