Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Compulsiveness ❯ Compulsiveness ( One-Shot )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Gundam Wing. This fan fiction has no commercial value, and I am not making any kind of profit or income off of this story or the use of characters owned by Sunrise and Bandai. Written for challenge #102 - uniform at LJ's gw500.
 
 
Compulsiveness
 
 
Wufei looked at his collection with admiration. It had taken time and a bit of compulsiveness, but it was finally complete. At least it was up to date. A new one would have to come out eventually, and he would add it to his collection. He smiled appreciatively and considered if there were another place to display them. He looked back at them and decided that they were best in their current location.
 
He had been in a bookstore searching for something new to read when he had spotted three books for a series. Reading the synopsis for the trio, he became intrigued and bought them. They were all paperbacks, and he was fine with that (it was cheaper). Enjoying the works immensely, he was happy to discover a fourth book a couple months after buying what he thought had been a trilogy. However, it came out in hardcover, and he liked the books so much that he could not wait. Thus, he bought the fourth book despite it being different.
 
This presented a problem. He did not like his books in a series to be inconsistent. On a return visit to the bookstore, he bought copies of the first three books in hardcover, and when it came out, he bought the fourth in paperback. When the fourth came out in paperback, the fifth one had come out in hardcover. This started a trend he kept up. He would buy the new one in hardcover and the previous one in paperback.
 
The eleventh book started the real problem. For the first ten books, the paperback had the same artwork as the jacket on the hardcover. When the eleventh book came out, the artwork was only for the jackets. All the paperbacks were given new designs, and the old ones were no longer sold. The spine was very different, and this caused Wufei some irritation. He bought the eleventh book in paperback and tried to set the new scheme with the previous ten, which still bore the old artwork. Looking at them, he could not stand it. The books had to be uniform. He took the ten paperbacks to a used books store and sold them. Then he went back to the bookstore and bought the first ten books in the new design. (It was good he was paid so well.) This bode well with him for another reason. He had read the first three in paperback, so the spines were broken. However, since then, he had read the books in hardcover, so now all the paperbacks had unbroken spines, even more uniform. Sally once asked him why he did not just sell all eleven paperbacks since sold ten, but he had no answer for her.
 
He walked through the bookstore one day and saw that a new book in the series was out; he smiled for a moment. Then he noticed that a new artist had taken over for the hardcover jackets and now all the previous ones were redone.