Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Duo's Dilemma ❯ Chapter 16

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer - It’s not mine. Never was

A/N - I’m back with another chapter. Hope you guys are enjoying, but I’m beginning to wonder if I lost some of you back there somewhere

---

Duo’s Dilemma

Chapter 15

What the Hell Just Happened?

---

“So there is still no word on where she is at?” Duo asked, leaning back against the wall.

“That’s fine. Just give me a call when you find something.” He snapped the cell phone shut and frowned. It had been two days since he’d brought Bella to the safe house, and still no word on where her sister was. According to all the Preventors he had talked to, Senator Covington and his wife Rita were fine where they were, but there had not been hide nor hair of Marge. Duo looked over at Bella, who was on the phone with her company vice president.

“..everything is okay, then?”

“Well if anything comes up, email me. Duo’s confiscated my cell phone incase whoever threatens me tries to call, but I won’t let him touch my computer.”

“I’ll talk to you later. Bye, Daniel.” she said, hanging up the phone.

“Everything okay down there?” Duo asked, coming to stand behind her and glance over her shoulder at the screen of her laptop.

“Calm as can be, surprisingly enough.” she said. “The worst problem they’ve had was the time clocks breaking down.” Duo shrugged and slid his keys into his pockets. He had some investigating to do, but was reluctant to leave Bella on her own. “Got somewhere to go?”

“I need to head down to the main headquarters and see if I can find out anything else about who broke into my apartment.” he said. “You be okay on your own for a few hours?”

“Yeah.” she said. “Daniel sent me some reports he wants me to look over that’ll keep me busy for a while. Apparently there’s a leak in our backup accounts. Someone’s been draining my money in the reserve funds.”

“I’ll be back as soon as I can.” he said. “Just don’t leave this hotel. It isn’t safe for you to be in the streets until we find out more about this mess.”

“I’m not going anywhere.” she said. “Be careful, Duo.”

“Always.” he said, giving her a quick kiss before disappearing out of the room.

----

Bella spent the next couple of hours immersed in the accounting reports Daniel had sent her. It hadn’t taken long to figure out where the money was disappearing to. She’d forgotten to cancel the credit account with her ex-security maintenance director Neil Fleck, and it seemed like the jackass was still using the card to charge exorbant amounts of computer hardware and other things to the account. She sent an urgent message to Daniel to get on the phone with the credit company and stop the use of the card, and to explain what had happened. She knew she wouldn’t be reimbursed for the money he’d already managed to spend, but at least she could put a stop to it before he done anymore damage.

There was a knock at the door that brought her back to reality, and Bella hesitated opening it until she looked through the peephole to find Duo standing on the other side. She unlocked the deadbolt and opened the door, letting him in. He looked like he was exhausted.

“You okay?” she asked when he plopped down onto the bed spread eagle. “Duo, what’s wrong?”

“Nothing.” he said, looking at her from his upside down position. “I’ve got good news. And bad news. Which do you want to hear first?”

“The bad news.”

“Your apartment was vandalized last night.” Duo grimaced. “The entire place looked worse than your office building and my apartment put together.”

“Wonderful.” she said. “Although I was expecting it sooner or later, to be honest. At least they haven’t hit my house at home, yet. Have they?”

“Not that we know of.” Duo shrugged. “Those to demon dogs would probably try to tear anyone apart that stepped foot in that place.” Bella just smiled and shrugged. That’s what she had raised Mordred and Damian for, and Duo was probably more accurate in that assumption than he realized.

“So what’s the good news?” she prompted.

“We found Marguerite.”

“What?” she asked, a feeling of utter relief flooding her body at hearing those words. “Where was she at? Is she okay?”

“She was with some friends in a city called Delacroix.” he said, shrugging at the odd name.

“Delacroix? I didn’t know she had friends in St. Bernard parish.” Bella said, frowning. She seemed to throw it off quickly enough though, pouncing on Duo to demand more information. “Have you talked to her? Who found her? Where is she at? Duo, tell me, please!”

“Calm down already.” he said, reaching up to pull her down beside him on the bed. Bella struggled to get onto her side and look down at him, waiting pointedly for the answers she wanted. “She’s fine. Apparently her cell phone went haywire and no one could get in touch with her. She came back to your dad’s place earlier today, and they’ve got her in a safe place separate from your dad and Rita.”

“Can I call her?” she asked.

“Yeah, sure.” Duo nodded, yawning. Bella grinned, gave him a quick kiss for thanks and climbed off the bed, heading for the phone. A few seconds later, a quiet ringing was heard through the room, and Duo could hear Marguerite’s voice on the other end when Bella sat back down on the bed, switching on the speakerphone.

“Marge?” Bella asked, her voice almost cracking in relief at hearing her step sister’s voice. “You okay? Where you at?”

“I’m at my house right now to get some clothes.” she said. “Are you okay, Belladonna? Daddy said some psycho was trying to hurt you?”

“I’m fine right now.” Bella answered. “I’m safe. What about you?”

“I’m fine. Where are you at? On your way back to Earth?”

“I’m still on the colony. My apartment was ransacked the other day, and the Preventor’s put me in a safe house somewhere on the colony. Hell, even I don’t know where I’m at!”

“As long as you’re okay.” she said. “What’s going on, Belladonna? Who’s doing this?”

“If I told you then we’d both know.” Bella said disgustedly. “Look, I can’t talk for long. The Preventors don’t want me talking to many people incase someone’s tracking my calls. I just wanted to make sure things were okay.”

“I’m fine. And so are Daddy and Mom.” she said. “You should give Daddy a call if you can manage it. He’s worried sick.”

“I will.” Bella said. “Take care, Marge. If something else comes up, call the Preventor headquarters in the city and ask to speak to Captain Asher. He’ll know how to get in touch with me, okay?”

“Will do.” Marge said. “Take care, Bella.”

“You too, Marge.” Bella shut the phone and heaved a sigh of relief. “I’m glad to hear from her. At least now I know everything is okay.” She looked over at Duo, who had an utterly confused look on his face. “What?”

“I thought you and your sister didn’t get along?” he asked.

“We don’t.” Bella said with a shrug. “But I don’t want these idiots that are chasing me to hurt her, either. There’s no point in tangling her up in this mess.”

“Still, it’s odd to hear the two of you have a conversation without insults being hurled.” he pointed out.

“Yeah, well, you never know what’s going to happen with us.” she said, rubbing her stomach when it grumbled loudly. Duo smirked.

“Hungry?”

“Yeah, a little.” she said. “Let’s go get something to eat, huh?”

“Sounds like a plan to me.” he answered. “I can’t have you starving with me on watch, now can I?” Bella nodded and grabbed a jacket from her duffle bag, quickly slipping on her shoes before leaving the room with Duo.

---

Bella woke up the next morning to the harsh ringing of her cell phone that was sitting on the bedside stand. She blindly reached for it, absently checking the number before answering it.

“Bella.” she said groggily, seeing that Duo was already up and gone, leaving her a note next to the bed.

Gone to check on some things. Figured I’d let you have some rest. You earned it. ;) Be back soon. DM

Bella’s face blushed scarlet at his reminder of their nighttime activities. Hell, she’d just gotten to sleep two hours ago! Unfortunately, she was quickly dragged back to reality when her sister’s icy voice broke through her fond memories.

“Where the fuck are you, Belladonna?” Bella sat straight up in the bed and blinked a few times.

“Marge?” she asked uncertainly. “What’s wrong? Why are you calling…”

“You and your god damned antics is why I’m calling.” Marge said, her voice breaking. “You and your selfishness.”

“What are you talking about, Marge?” she demanded coldly.

“I take it you haven’t watched the news this morning, wherever the hell you are, have you?”

“No.” she said. “You just woke me up. It’s barely four in the morning here.”

“Turn on the television to the news channel.” Marguerite growled angrily. Bella groped for the remote to the TV, flipping it to the world news channel that focused on her hometown and the surrounding area. Right along the bottom there was a bulletin running across the screen.

…Senator Kenneth Covington of New Orleans, Louisiana killed in car accident this morning, along with his wife Rita Covington. Police suspect foul play, and are currently in search of anyone who may have any information pertaining to this morning’s accident along highway…

Bella felt herself go absolutely limp, and a cold knot settle into her stomach as she continued to read the bulletin.

“Marge, please tell me this is some sort of sick joke.” she pleaded quietly a few moments later when her ability to speak returned and her mind actually processed what she was reading on the television screen. “Marge, talk to me.”

“There’s nothing else to say, Belladonna.” Marge’s cold voice rang. “I hope you’re fucking happy.”

“Happy?” she asked angrily. “My father was murdered! Why the hell would I be happy?”

“If you would have just listened.” she answered.

“To who?” Bella demanded, getting to her feet and pacing around the room after switching the call onto a speakerphone, completely missing the fact that Duo had entered into the room. “Who the hell have you been talking to, Marguerite?”

“I know about the letters, Belladonna.” Marguerite hissed. “I got one this morning, right before I got the call to come identify the bodies! It said they died because you wouldn’t listen, wouldn’t leave your newest fuck buddy alone! I hope a piece of Maxwell’s ass was a fair trade for our parent’s lives! How could you do this? How could you let this happen?”

“What’s going on, Belladonna?” Duo asked quickly. He’d caught the end of the bulletin on the television, and managed to hear enough of her conversation with her sister to know that trouble was brewing.

“He’s with you now, isn’t he?” Marguerite demanded, apparently recognizing Duo‘s voice. “Our parents are dead, and you’re shacked up with the reason their gone! I hope your fucking happy, you little slut!”

“Marge..” Bella said, shaking her head. “I didn’t….”

“Don’t even start.” Marguerite snarled. “You’ve caused enough trouble as it is, and you can’t fix it this time.” The next sound that penetrated the room was the doorbell ringing and the monotone of the dial tone on the speakerphone. Bella reached over and hit the button to hand up the phone, her hands absolutely numb, and her mind in a complete haze. Duo answered the door, finding that there was a letter for Belladonna. He took the innocent looking envelope from the bellhop and stuffed it in his pocket without even reading it.

“Bella?” he asked, turning his attention to the shocked silent woman sitting in the room. “Belladonna?”

“They’re gone.” she muttered quietly, her eyes wide in absolute fear and sadness. She looked up at Duo with a dead expression on her face, and then down at the floor as the tears started to flow. “They’re dead. Someone killed my dad and Rita.”

“Bella…” Duo said, catching her when she hunched over and started to sob uncontrollably. He didn’t know what to do or say, so he just held her, letting her soak his shirt with the hot tears that were pouring like a waterfall.

He’d left earlier this morning to go check if the Preventors had gathered any possible leads as to who had managed to break into their apartments. The only lead they’d been able to find was a witness saying that she saw a short, brown haired man leaving Bella’s complex right after they had left. And another witness had gave the same description of a guy who had been hanging around Duo’s place the day before.

A half hour later, Bella finally managed to get her sobs under control enough for Duo to let her go and sit her on the bed. He grabbed a bottle of soda out of the little mini-fridge and poured it into a glass along with a dose of some sort of alcohol he’d found in the room earlier that morning when he’d been searching for his shirt. It wasn’t hardly enough to get her drunk or even tipsy, but it would help calm her nerves down a little bit while he tried to figure out what the hell had happened during the night.

“Drink this.” he said, handing her the tumbler. “It’ll help you calm down.” Bella absently took the alcohol laced soda and downed it in one gulp, setting the glass to the side.

“Duo, what the hell happened?” she asked, her voice now devoid of any sort of emotion, much like the look on her face.

“I’m not sure, love.” Duo said. “But I’m going to find out.” Bella just nodded and looked at the wall vacantly, apparently too caught up in the shock of finding out her father was dead to notice anything else around her. Duo was beginning to wonder if this news was going to drive her insane, much like the news of Mr. Winner had thrown Quatre into a rage during the war.

He grabbed his cell phone and hit the speed dial button to the two people he figured could help him out more than anyone else at the moment. The phone only rang three times before a voice at the other end of the line picked up.

Yuy.”

It’s Duo, man.” the ex-Deathscythe pilot said, running his free hand through his hair in a nervous gesture that he’d picked up as a child. “I’ve got a problem. Is Wufei there with you?”

“He’s here. You’ve got a problem alright.” Heero’s said.

“What?” Duo asked, causing Bella to look over at him. He shook his head and waved it off, not wanting her to get even more upset than she already was. He moved towards the small balcony that was attached to the room, making sure the sliding glass door was securely shut before continuing the conversation with Heero. “What happened?”

“Your girlfriend’s company building was broken into last night.” he said. “Relena’s had me tracking down information all morning.”

“What happened?”

“Bomb.”

“What?!”

“T he entire building was leveled to the ground.”

“Was anyone hurt?”

“No. Everyone was gone for the night.”

“This is not good. Not good at all.” Duo groaned, leaning back against the wall and blinking a few times.

“That’s not all, either.” Wufei’s voice cut in. “The report that was sent to us said that the brake lines on the Covington’s car was sliced cleanly. This was no accident; it was murder.”

“Any suspects?” Duo asked.

“A whole list, and each one as unlikely as the next.” Wufei said.

“Your best bet would be to get in touch with the captain at the New Orleans branch.” Heero said. “They’re the ones handling this case. Most of our information is second hand.”

“I’ll get on it.” Duo said. “Thanks, guys.”

“Hn.”

“Goodbye, Maxwell.”

Duo shut the cell phone and pocketed it, wondering if he should tell Bella what happened to her company building. He glanced into the room, finding her on the phone with someone. Duo walked in and picked up the conversation she was having, apparently reserving a seat on the next shuttle back to Earth.

“So I have reservation confirmation for one seat on shuttle LX-9484, destination New Orleans, Louisiana?” the man on the other end asked. “Is this correct, Ms. Saucier?”

“Yes.” she answered curtly, throwing her clothes into the duffle bag haphazardly.

“Very well. The departure time will be at noon tomorrow from the L3 main space port.” he said. “If you would hold for a few minutes, I will give you the confirmation numbers.”

“That’s fine.” Bella said, completely distracted. A sound of cheesy elevator music came over the line as the guy put her on hold to wait for the confirmation numbers, but she paid it no attention.

“You heading back without me?” Duo asked pointedly, his arms crossed on his chest.

“Yes.” she said. “I’ve got to get home as soon as possible. There’s a million things I need to take care of right now, and I can’t do it from space.”

“You can’t go by yourself. It’s not safe.” Duo said. “You’re liable to be targeted and killed!”

“I’m going home.” she said firmly, looking him right in the eye and daring him to question her.

“Then I’m going with you.” he said stubbornly.

“No, you’re not.” Bella countered quickly.

“Like hell I‘m not!” Duo exclaimed, grabbing her shoulders to stop her frantic moving about. “I didn‘t bring you here to keep you safe just so you could go running back into the firing squad!”

“I’m tired of everyone I care about winding up dead because of me.” Bella said stubbornly, tears threatening to pour out again. “If you come with me, you’re liable to be the one they target. I don’t want that, Duo.” She seemed to collapse from exhaustion right then and there, and Duo gathered her in his arms, sitting down on the bed and holding her as another wave of tears poured out.

“It’s okay. We’ll take care of this.” he said calmly.

“I’m tired of having all this blood on my hands.” she said in between hiccups. “All these people have died because of me! First it was Joseph and Gaylan, then Phillip and then Rita! Now it’s my dad! I’m sick of it!”

“There is no blood on your hands, Bella.” he said firmly. “You didn’t kill them. And it’s not your fault your dad and Rita are dead, so quit blaming yourself.” Bella just curled up into a ball and continued to sob uncontrollably. Duo held her until she seemed to cry herself dry, and put her on the bed.

“You need to get some rest.” he said. “We’re going to have a rough few days.”

“You’re leaving?” she asked, sounding like some scared child.

“I need to see what else I can find about what happened.” he said.

“Do you have to leave right now?” she asked. Duo shook his head and pulled his jacket off, lying down beside her and enveloping her in his arms. She was a wreck right now, and needed someone beside her, he could tell that much. Bella snuggled down into the embrace and buried her head in his shoulder.

“What am I gonna do, Duo?” she muttered brokenly, hugging him tightly, almost like she was afraid he was going to disappear.

“We’ll make it, love.” he said. “Don’t worry too much about it. What’s done is done, and we can’t change it. But I promise you I’ll find out who did this to you.” That seemed to offer her some sort of condolence, and Bella relaxed a little. Duo just continued to hold onto her long after she stilled, trying to figure out how the hell he was going to fix this problem.

---

A/N - Hey, hope I haven’t lost anyone else. This story is going to be wrapped up in the next two or three chapters, so just hang in there with me.

Until next time,

A.A.

And remember to review. I want to know what you think.