Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Every Now and Then ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hey, everybody! I've been working on this story for quite awhile, and I've finally finished it! It's HYxRP, of course, but it doesn't really focus on Heero and Relena, which is why I put it under "Drama". N'wayz, I hope ya'll like it! Please R&R! And a big thanx to everyone who's reviewed ANY of my stories, I REALLY appreciate it! ^_^ And thank you especially to Makoto Yuy, who beta-read this for me! Oh, and, one more thing. Makoto was confused as to what "dust motes" were. They're the little bits of dust that float in the air. You can't see them unless they're at the right angle to the sun, but they look really cool. I hope my definition isn't too confusing!
~Angel
Disclaimer: I don't own Gundam Wing, nor do I own the song "Every Now And Then". GW belongs to Sunrise, Bandai, etc. and the song belongs to Garth Brooks. Pure and simple.
Every Now And Then
By Angel of Death


It was the year A.C. 202, nearly six years after the 'Maremaia Incident', as most referred to it. A lone figure walked down the road at 7:45 p.m., hands in the pocket of his gray jeans, the wind ruffling his already-ruffled brown hair, navy-blue jacket, and green tank-top. He looked to his left, slowed his walk, and turned, walking into a playground. His Prussian-blue eyes looked around at the numerous objects in the park, not really seeing any of them. As if in a daze, he sat down in one of the swings, bringing his hands up in front of his face, about a foot away from it. He looked at them for a moment before turning his gaze to the full moon above. He watched as dust motes floated, catching the golden moonlight briefly before retreating into invisibility once again. Another warm breeze blew across his face, making him blink. He closed his eyes, stood up, and walked back out of the park, all the while thinking only one thing.
Why?
*****
"I walked down to the park last night
Warm breeze stirrin' up a soft moonlight
And my mind started driftin' to way-back-when
Yes, I do think about you . . . Every now and then . . ."
*****
The same man was walking down the sidewalk a few days later, on his way home.
"Heero!" a voice from behind him called. He turned to see a blonde-haired, blue-eyed man his age, 22, running up to him with a black case in his hands.
"You forgot your laptop, and I thought you might need it." the man said kindly, smiling. Heero nodded, taking the case.
"Thank you, Quatre. Yes, I will need it." he said and started walking again.
"Oh, and tell Miss Relena that Dorothy and I will be there for the wedding, we wouldn't miss it for the world!" Quatre said happily. Heero turned around again.
"Huh?" he said quizzically. Quatre's smile widened.
"You know, the wedding in two weeks, you and Miss Relena's wedding. Or have you forgotten?" he replied, knowing that his mild jest would have absolutely no effect on his stoic comrade.
"Oh, yes." Heero said, still in what seemed like a daze. "Yes, I'm glad you'll be able to make it." He turned back around and started, again, in the direction of his home. Behind him, Quatre shook his head.
"He still hasn't forgotten. Then again, how could he?" he whispered. "I know I wouldn't, if it had been me. You can never forget your first love, I know, even if I was lucky enough not to have to go through the pain." Heero heard none of this, however, and his mind was off somewhere until a shiny, black convertible whizzed by on the street to his right. His head snapped up and he whirled around, his eyes immediately locating the vehicle and watching it diminish rapidly. A small smile slowly crept its way onto his face, but only for a brief instant. He stayed looking the way the car had gone for a few minutes even after the car had disappeared. Finally, he shook his head and firmly walked the rest of the way home, trying very hard to keep his mind off of the memories that the car had brought back.
*****
"The other day I saw a car like you used to drive
I got a funny feelin' down deep inside
And for the briefest moment I felt a smile again
Yes, I do think about you . . . Every now and then . . ."
*****
Heero soon arrived at his destination, and a slim woman with sandy-blonde hair and deep, aquamarine eyes ran out of the house in front of him to greet him. She slowed down, hugged him affectionately, and took his hand, leading him back to the house.
"Is there anything big going on with the Preventers, Heero?" she asked. She looked at him, frowning slightly, when he didn't respond.
"Heero?" she asked, squeezing his hand. He looked up instantly, turning his head to face her.
"Yes?" he replied, his eyes still holding that dazed look. Relena's frown deepened a fraction.
"I just asked if there was anything big going on with the Preventers and you looked like you'd taken a trip to Saturn. Is something wrong?" she asked, concern evident in her voice, her frown gone. Heero shook his head and gave her a small smile.
"No, everything's fine. What's going on in the political world?" he asked, hoping she'd take the red herring. She looked at him for a moment, saw that whatever it was, he didn't want to talk about it, so she nodded and told him what was happening in the "political world". She knew that he would tell her when he was ready, no sooner, no later. Heero listened with half an ear, only taking in enough of what she was saying to be able to respond when she asked him a question. The rest of his mind was back on "Saturn", or rather, the memories that stubbornly refused to leave him alone. He turned and looked at the thousands of stars littering the night sky and asked himself the question that he'd been asking himself for the past week, and as always, the answer was no. No, definitely not, and he was pleased to find that he didn't really doubt himself.
*****
"But I love my life, and I'd never trade
What you and me had for the life I've made
'Cause she's here and she's real, but you were, too
And every once in awhile I think about you . . ."
*****
Two days later, Heero was driving to the Preventers' Headquarters, his mind still on the memories and thoughts that had been troubling recently, even though he was paying close attention to the road. He sighed, something he rarely did. And switched on the radio, hoping that the calm piano music would take his mind off of his troubling thoughts at least until he was done at the Preventers' for the day. A piece by Mozart had just finished and Heero was just beginning to relax when his back went rigid. That song, I know it . . . he thought, listening closely to the moderately-fast piece being played. In an instant, he recognized what it was and tried to reach over and switch the radio off. But, somehow, his hand just wouldn't listen to his brain, and it stayed steady on the steering wheel. So, obviously unable to turn off the radio or block out the music, Heero had to endure yet more memories that the piece brought back. After a few seconds, he found himself enjoying the music, despite the memories. He'd always liked it, why shouldn't he still? Even if it always reminded him of-Stop that! he thought, giving himself a mental slap. You have to get these thoughts outta your head! Your wedding is coming up! You've found someone who you love even more than . . . and you have a wonderful life that you're gonna love for the rest of your existence! You can't, I repeat, CAN'T let these thoughts ruin it! You are not going back to what you had before! he thought angrily. He knew he loved Relena, and he honestly and truly didn't doubt himself one bit. But if he was completely sure, which he was, then why did these thoughts keep haunting him? Why? He was jerked out of his pondering when the DJ's voice came on and started talking, meaning the song was over. For a moment, Heero irrationally wished that they'd played it again. Just once more.
*****
"I heard a song on the radio just yesterday
The same one you always asked me to play
And when the song was over I wished they'd played it again
Yes, I do think about you . . . Every now and then . . ."
*****
Five days later, Heero was sitting on a swing on the front porch of his home, reading, when Relena and her best friend, Hilde, and elder sister-in-law, Noin, pulled up in Noin's iris (really dark purple with a little metallic mixed in) convertible. Relena and Hilde sat in the back seat, giggling like schoolgirls, while Noin viewed their happiness with a smile, hard-pressed not to start giggling herself. They pulled up the driveway, and Heero looked up from his book with a neutral expression on his face. Relena hopped out of the car and ran up to him, hugging him fondly and pecking him on the cheek.
"Hilde, Noin, and I had lots of fun shopping today." she said happily, running back out to the car to carry what she had bought. There was a long piece of clothing inside a black clothes cover in her hand when she returned. Heero immediately knew what it was, but he decided not to deflate her apparent joy and put a mildly-curious look on his face when she approached him.
"You'll never guess what this is!" she said in a teasing, sing-song voice. Heero smiled, with the same mildly-curious look on his face, and scratched his head.
"Hmm, is it an alligator skin?" he asked innocently. Relena giggled.
"No, silly!" she replied, enjoying herself immensely. The guessing game went on, each of Heero's guesses more ridiculous than the last. Hilde and Noin, who were standing in front of the car, viewed the proceedings with identical grins on their faces. Noin turned to Hilde, still grinning.
"I think we should leave them alone now." she said. Hilde nodded.
"You're right, let's go. I've gotta get home so I can pester Duo some more." she said, chuckling. When they'd gotten in the car and Noin had started the engine, the ex-OZ Lieutenant turned to the young woman sitting beside her.
"Why would you pester Duo?" she asked curiously. Hilde's smile disappeared.
"He's been acting a bit strange lately, ever since about a month ago." she replied, frowning slightly.
"Since you guys got the invitations to Relena and Heero's wedding?" Noin asked quietly. Hilde thought for a moment and then her frown deepened.
"Yeah, it was about then." she answered. Noin sighed.
"Heero's acting a little oddly, too. I should know, he and Zechs haven't been fighting as much as they usually do lately. Any time Zechs starts getting angry, Heero will just say 'let's forget it' and get back to his work." she said. Hilde leaned back thoughtfully.
"D'ya think it might have to do with . . ." Hilde's voice trailed off questioningly. Noin nodded firmly.
"I don't doubt that it does in the least." she said. The two women fell into thoughtful silence. Back at the Peacecraft mansion, however, the two occupants were anything but silent. Heero decided to end the guessing game. He scratched his head again and then held up a finger, as if the answer had suddenly occurred to him.
"I know! It's you wedding dress!" he said. Relena gasped in mock surprise.
"You got it!" she exclaimed, grinning. "I'm gonna go put it away, now."
"Oh, can't I see it?" Heero asked in a pleading voice. Relena shook her head.
"From what I understand, it's bad luck for the groom to see the wedding dress before the wedding." she said, slapping his hands away in mock severity when he reached for the dress. Heero watched, smiling, as his fiancé walked up the stairs, carrying her dress. Yes, he thought, I wouldn't trade this life for anything.
*****
"But I love my life, and I'd never trade
What you and me had for the life I've made
'Cause she's here and she's real, but you were, too
And every once in awhile I think about you . . ."
*****
Seven days later, Heero stood in the corner of the humongous ballroom at the Peacecraft mansion. It was a few hours after the wedding, and Relena was chatting away with the people she hardly ever got to see. Hilde, Noin, Sally, Catherine, Dorothy, and Relena were standing in a huddle talking about something and Zechs, Quatre, Trowa, and Wufei doing the same. Heero smiled when he saw Relena laugh at a joke Hilde had just told and decided to go out on the balcony for some fresh air. He walked out onto the balcony, the cool breezes blowing his hair about. He felt truly happy for the first time in his life. He felt content. But there was still that unease that lurked in the back of his mind, keeping him from being completely content. Why can't you just go AWAY!? he thought, frustrated. What seemed like a moment later, he looked down at his watch to find that he'd been standing there for two hours. He sighed, looking up at the starry sky. His eyes quickly picked out Orion's Belt, the Milky Way, the Big and Little Dippers, and numerous other constellations. He was soon lost in his thoughts again and was only consciously aware of his surroundings when a drop of rain fell from the ledge overhead onto his hand. He listened to the rain that was now rapidly falling for a few minutes, sighed, and was about to go back inside, when he heard a footsteps behind him. He turned around and froze, instantly recognizing the figure that stood there.
"Hi, haven't seen you in awhile, Heero." the figure said, trying to smile. Heero met the figure's eyes evenly.
"Hello, Duo."
*****
"I've been standin' here all night, listenin' to the rain
Talkin' to my heart and tryin' to explain
Why sometimes I catch myself wondering what might've been
Yes, I do think about you . . . Every now and then . . ."
*****
Duo walked out onto the balcony and leant over the railing, which was only partially covered by the ledge overhead. He reached out his hands and let the drops glide down them like small diamonds. He looked at his hands, uncharacteristically silent. Heero stayed where he was, watching Duo watch his hands. He was just about to go in when Duo spoke.
"How've you been, Heero?" he asked, his eyes still on his hands. Heero looked up, surprised.
"I've been great, Duo." he replied hesitantly. Duo looked at him, a ghost of his usual grin flitting across his face.
"Really? Good. I see you and 'Jousan finally got together." he said, averting his gaze from Heero's. Heero nodded.
"Yeah, we did." he replied. The two former-Gundam pilots fell into an uncomfortable silence that lasted for a few moments, which felt like years. Heero closed his eyes, took a deep breath, turned to Duo, and was about to say something when Duo interrupted him.
"I know exactly what you're gonna say, Heero, but you don't have to. I know you wouldn't trade the life you have for whatever we had so long ago. Neither would I. But just because we're not, you know, doesn't mean that we can't be friends. We were best friends before what happened, what's keepin' us from being best friends again?" he said, meeting Heero's gaze. Heero was silent for a moment, then a grin spread across his face.
"You're right, Duo. We are still friends. Best friends." he said. Duo reached out a hand and Heero, still grinning, took it and shook it firmly. When they walked back into the ballroom, Duo was grinning his usual grin and he was walking with his arm slung around Heero's shoulders. They were both laughing. They headed for the girls, who were still huddled up in gossip. Before they reached them, however, Duo stopped and motioned for Heero to do the same.
"Don't tell anyone about this yet, but Hilde and I are engaged." Duo said all of this so quickly that Heero had to laugh.
"It looks like we've both found our happiness." he said, looking at his new wife fondly. Duo nodded.
"I guess we have."
*****
"But I love my life, and I'd never trade
What you and me had for the life I've made
'Cause she's here and she's real, but you were, too
And every once in awhile I think about you . . ."
*****
Two hours later, Heero and Relena were saying goodbye to their friends and family and Relena was out on the porch hugging Hilde. Heero was standing in the doorway when Duo came up beside him.
"Well, I guess I'll see ya later!" he said, stepping out, turning around, and reaching out a hand to Heero. Heero took it with a smile and shook it firmly, as he had done on the balcony earlier. Duo smiled, shook his friend's hand one more time, then walked over to Hilde, took her hand, and walked with her out to their car. Relena came to stand by Heero as he watched them leave. Heero put a hand around her waist and hugged her, feeling completely content with his life. He knew that, even thought they weren't "together", he and Duo would always be best friends. No matter what.
*****
"Every now and then . . ."
*****
The End