Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Facing Reality ❯ Prologue

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Facing Reality - Prologue

*disclaimer* Ugh...*sigh* Once again, I DO NOT own Gundam Wing or any of its characters.

*warnings* Uh...hmm...profanity? It's rated PG-13, that should be warning enough.

Sorry guys, this has been stuck in my mind for at least half a year. I promised myself I wouldn't write it down until I finished WYWG, but I couldn't resist. Enjoy!





The tension in the hospital waiting room was so thick it could be cut with a knife. The room's occupants sat in complete silence, still in shock over the news they had just received. Zechs was hunched over in his chair, eyes wide and unseeing as he stared at the floor. Beside him, Noin was gently rubbing his back, tears streaming down her own face. Eventually she gave up and choked on some sobs that ripped through her throat. Burying her face into her husband's shoulder, she openly cried.

Wufei and Trowa were leaning against the wall opposite her, both standing with their arms crossed and staring at the floor. When Noin's sobs broke the silence in the room, Wufei visibly flinched. Crying women always bothered him slightly.

Quatre, sitting on the other side of Noin, only joined Noin in her weeping, though he was much quieter about it. He bent over and propped his elbows up onto his knees, his hands digging back in his hair. He looked as helpless as he ever had.

The only other occupant in the room at the time was slowly wearing a hole in the floor as he continually paced back and forth. His face looked as if it was etched in stone, his eyes slightly brighter than usual due to the tears in them that he refused to let fall. Even Duo's braid seemed limp and lifeless.

The door to the waiting room suddenly slammed open, and everyone in the room stiffened, afraid of whom it would be. The relief in the room was obvious when Dorothy was the one who walked through the door.

"I came as soon as I heard what happened," she said quickly. She sounded as if she were out of breath, and her long, blonde hair whipped around her as she glanced about the room, noting the sullen faces. Stepping back slightly, she said quietly, "No...is...is she...?" Dorothy let the sentence trail off, not needing an answer when Noin's cries picked up again. Finding it hard to keep her own tears in, she muttered, "Damn..." Silently taking a seat by the wall where Trowa and Wufei were standing, she could only join the others in the others in their glare at the floor. Only a few minutes later, another door down the hall opened, and Sally walked out, looking just as depressed as everyone else, even though she was on duty.

"Is he here yet?" she asked, stepping into the room. Duo paused and glanced up at her briefly, before returning to his pacing.

"No, he's not back yet. We don't even know if he got the message," he spat out, hands uncrossing from behind his back and clenching into fists at his sides.

"It'll be all over the news," Trowa said gently.

"God, what an awful way to find out," Dorothy murmured, fiddling with the ends of her hair.

"How's...how's the little one doing?" Quatre spoke up. Sally looked unsure of herself as she spoke.

"She's alright...we think. She hasn't woken up yet." Quatre sighed raggedly.

"Sally, answer me truthfully," Zechs' deep voice rumbled. "If she had gotten here sooner, would you have been able to save her?"

"Well," Sally said, her voice wavering slightly, "we can't really say-"

"Sally, please," Zechs pleaded. She sighed.

"Yes Zechs, had we found her sooner, it is very likely that we could have saved her. By the time she'd been located, she had lost far too much blood."

"Damn it," Wufei said softly. Sally nodded.

"Tell me when Heero gets back, I have to go check on-" She was cut off abruptly as the entrance door to the room slammed open, nearly coming off the hinges, and Heero ran into the room frantically. His hair was a mess and his clothes looked horribly wrinkled, not to mention the bloodshot look in his eyes. He looked around the room quickly, ignoring the others as his eyes settled on Sally.

"Where is she?" he demanded. Sally stuttered for a second, before Heero cut her off again. "Where's Relena, Sally. I got on the first flight I could back. Where. Is. She?" He sounded frantic and nervous, only causing Sally's eyes to fill with tears.

"Heero, I'm so sorry-"

"NO! Damn it, tell me where the hell she is Sally! WHERE IS SHE?!" He looked about ready to kill something, and knowing that he probably wouldn't hesitate to do so, Duo stepped up to him, prepared for any punches that would be thrown his way.

"Heero, they couldn't save her," he said, choking on the words. "She's gone." He gently placed a hand on Heero's shaking shoulder, trying to calm him down, but he was only rewarded with a quick elbow to the stomach.

"NO! She's NOT! I swear to God, she had better not be DEAD!" Trying not to wince, Duo grabbed Heero's shoulders and turned him quickly so that he was facing him.

"Listen to me Heero," he ground out, staring the Japanese man in the eyes. "She. Is. Gone. She was missing for almost two hours, and by the time someone reported the accident, it was too late to save her. Relena was driving on an old country road. No one else was around."

"Then how the hell did she crash?" Heero asked, almost pleaded to know. Duo shrugged.

"From what we could tell, it looked like she spun out of control in the rain and ran into a tree going around a curve," he replied softly.

"Fuck," Heero muttered. "FUCK! Damn it!! How could this happen?!?! WHY WAS SHE OUT ALONE?!" He spun out of Duo's grasp quickly and stalked towards the door. As if remembering something, he turned back around and asked Sally quickly, "Where's Carrie?" Eyes widening more, he continued, "Tell me she's alright, please..." Sally smiled softly, but got that worried look she had earlier.

"Carrie's fine, Heero. She's, uh, well she hasn't woken up yet, but she's ok. Do you want to go see her? We, um, we need to...discuss...some things with you." Looking slightly confused at that, Heero nodded and followed Sally out of the room.

The others sat in silence again, before Zechs said brokenly, "Relena..."

* * *

As soon as Heero entered the small, barren room his two-year old daughter was in, he rushed to the side of her bed.

"God, Carrie...honey, Daddy's he-" He cut himself off, remembering suddenly that she wouldn't be able to hear him, even if she WAS awake. His daughter was deaf, as he and Relena had only found out recently. He sighed, staring down at her small, pale form on the bed. His heart clenched, and he silently prayed to God that she would wake up and look at him with those blue eyes of her. 'Relena's eyes...' He mentally groaned. God, what would he do? She was his life. Raising a daughter on his own, how would he manage that? He lowered his head for a second before turning to look at Sally. "What did you want to tell me? Sally sighed, looking nervous again.

"You might want to sit down for this," she said without looking at him. She gestured to a chair, which Heero sat in, before she started to speak.

* * *

It was a good thirty minutes later when Heero walked back out into the waiting room again. Everyone glanced up at him, questions on the tips of their tongues, but froze when they saw him. He looked like the walking dead, he was that pale. His eyes resembled Zechs', in that they were wide and unseeing. His hands were in fists at his sides. Trowa and Wufei pushed themselves off the wall, looking worried.

"Heero..." Wufei started, and then trailed off, unsure what to say.

"What happened Heero?" Quatre asked quickly. "What happened to your daughter?" Heero's eyes narrowed at that and he mumbled something that sounded suspiciously like, "she's not."

"What?" Duo said, being the only one in clear hearing rage. His eyes were wide. Heero's shaking fists picked up the closest thing to him, which happened to be a chair, and threw it violently at the wall.

"SHE'S NOT!!" he shouted, sounding pained.

"Not what, Heero?" Trowa asked, stepping forward to restrain Heero if need be. Heero looked him with eyes full of hate, pain, and misery.

"She's not my daughter."






Whoa...what's THAT supposed to mean? Hehe, you'll just have to wait until the next chapter to find out! I'm not sure when that will be, because I'm not entirely sure where I'm gonna go with this, but hopefully it won't be too long from now. Wait...don't I say that every time? *shrugs* Oh well. PLEASE REVIEW!!!

**MAILING LIST** If you want to join the mailing list for this fic to get an e-mail from me every time I update, the directions are in my profile. Basically you either:
1. Leave your e-mail address in a review for THIS FIC and TELL me that you want to be on the list, or
2. E-mail me (maxine_gw0125@hotmail.com) and tell me SPECIFICALLY that you want to be on the list for THIS FIC. I have more than one list, so I need to know that you want updates for this fic. Thanks!

*~Maxine~*