Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Far From Perfect ❯ 2 Fairy Tale In Between ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Here's the second part...sorry again...

Nikki -_-

Series: Far From Perfect

Tittle: Fairy Tale in Between

Rating: PG

Couples: 1+2 3+4 (so cute!!) a little 5+Sally (giggle) and 1+Relena (ick!)

Key:

*thought*

//Computer and TV//

(POV)

~Time~ (you know, flashbacks, later, etc.)

Warnings: Shounen-ai!!! I love it! No Yaoi though. spoilers for Duo's episode Zero. Maybe some very mild cussing, I don't remember. um... If Religion bothers you (I don't know) then I wouldn't read this. So I think that's it, if you think of anything tell me please.

Disclaimer: I don't own Gundam Wing or anything else you might see here. Lydia is my own creation but I don't really care if you like, take the name or something. She is not a Mary Sue! She's nothing like me ok? Sorry I just don't want anyone getting' the wrong idea. I own nothin' so don't sue me.

Far From Perfect
Fairy Tale in Between

~()~

Quatre stood in the music room of one the Winner mansions.

Playing the violin with his eyes closed, Quatre gently swayed to the music.

Trowa leaned on the far wall watching his husband practice. The melody was sweet, full of life just like Quatre. Trowa smiled to himself.

*He looks so perfect, standing there in the sunlight.*

The song came to a close and Quatre opened his eye's to see his love was watching him. "Trowa! I didn't hear you come in!" His face was flushed with excitement; he loved to play.

"That was beautiful Quatre," Trowa complimented, walking over.

Quatre looked down, he didn't take compliments very well. "Thank you. Why don't you join me next time?"

Trowa pulled his angel into his arms. "But then I wouldn't be able to watch you."

"Trowa..." Quatre sighed. It felt so right. Just to be held. The forgotten violin placed carefully on the floor Quatre pulled Trowa in to a long kiss.

The door slid open.

"Oh! I'm sorry Master Quatre..."

Trowa swung Quatre around to see the visitor. A servant had walked in. She bowed her head and started to back out of the door.

"Don't worry about it. Was there something you needed?"

She stopped but didn't raise her head. "There is a call for you master Quatre."

When she left Quatre went to the screen in the corner. "Heero! It's so good to see you! How have you been?"

After the "incident" they had pretty much gone there separate ways (except Quatre and Trowa) and Quatre hadn't talk to Heero in about a year. He didn't look much different though he must be around twenty.

"Good. I was wondering if you have talked to Duo lately?"

Quatre fidgeted a little. "No. Is everything alright?"

Heero shook his head, "I was just wondering."

The rest of the conversation was short and meaningless. Heero never was really a talker.

When Heero's image left the screen Trowa spoke up, "What was that about?"

Quatre had forgotten he was there. "Oh nothing." he tried to act casual. "Heero just wanted to know if I had talked to Duo."

Trowa looked at his husband with raised eyebrows. "What I meant, was why did you lie to him? You talked to Duo a week ago."

Quatre looked away. He hated to lie. Duo had asked him to lie to Heero, he didn't say anything about Trowa. "He asked me not to tell Heero where he was."

Trowa was still curious (as much as Trowa Barton could be curious) but he decided to let it drop.

(Quatre's POV)

Later I snuck away to talk to Duo, privately.

"Hey Quatre! How ya doin'?"

I smiled at the almost laughing man.

Duo had changed. Not much physically, though had gotten a lot taller and for some reason stronger (maybe just in case there was another war) he still remained the braided ball of energy he'd always been.

The change was in his mind and soul. It seemed he never could ditch the priest attire, he'd joined a church in one of the L2 colonies, working mostly with kids, they loved him.

"Hello Father. I'm fine how are you?"

He made a face at the word Father. "Ack! Don't say that, it makes me feel old! I'm doing great! I just got done with a group and I have another in a few."

"Sounds like you've got your hands full," I said.

He chuckled. "Yeah but I'm not complaining! I love the work. But you probably didn't call to hear me talk about church, what's on your mind?"

I sighed. *And he was in such a good mood.*

"Oh. I just thought you might want to know that I talked to Heero today."

Duo's face fell though he tried to keep his smile on. "Oh?" he tried to sound curious but failed.

"He asked about you."

He let the smile go. "Really."

"He asked me if I had heard from you."

Duo bit his lip. "What did you tell him?"

"Nothing. I said I hadn't. He didn't press the matter."

Duo looked away. "How is he?"

Duo never learned how to hide his feelings well. He truly wanted to know, but wanted me to think he was just being polite.

"He looked fine. I think he just wanted to talk to you."

Duo looked back at me determined. "I don't want to see him again, ever. I'm sorry I had you lie."

"Maybe you should just talk-"

Duo cut me off. "No. I can't, I wont. He made a mistake, that's his fault. I can't forgive him. I'm happy now, I don't need him" his face was set. He was determined not to care. "I have to go I have another group coming in. I'll talk to you soon"

Duo's picture clicked off leaving me staring at a blank screen.

*Happy? That's not happy*

(Heero)

I sat alone in my empty apartment. Yes, apartment. I called Relena the day after the wedding from Wufei's house and told her.

"I'm sorry. I wont just pretend. I don't love you, Relena."

She was sad but not surprised. She had noticed it.

*Without Duo I'm just a shell. An empty body without a soul.*

*A soul. I never remember having one to begin with. Duo made me think I had one, just to have a friend I felt happy, maybe I did have one, maybe he took it with him. Now I can't even make sense*

I close my eyes in defeat.

The TV I'd forgotten about changed programs.

//Jesus will save your soul!!//

I open one eye

//surrender your self to the lord!!//

I flicked off the screen.

"Hn."

*Religion. I never saw the use in it. Duo was always talking about god...there I go again. I have to stop thinking about him.*

I sighed, throwing my arm over my eyes. It didn't work.

*I could look...no. If he truly didn't want me to find him I wont be able to. He was always a lot better at hiding then I was. What was it he said? 'I may run and hide but I never tell a lie'*

I closed my eyes trying to remember just how he said it. Finally I gave up, it hurt too much.

*If only I knew where he was. Quatre knows, I could tell. He knows exactly where he is. He and Duo were good friends, they probably talk all the time. He must have asked Quatre not to tell me. He's hiding. Hiding from me.*

(Duo)

I sat biting my nail.

*He wanted to know about me? He was probably just curious. He probably went back to Relena.*

I sat at the small desk pushed in the corner. It was my "office." It wasn't much but it was my life.

*Why do I still let him get to me? It's over! It never began! Some things just don't work out.* I sighed, setting my head on my desk. *Forgive and forget... I guess you can't have just one.*

"Father Solo?" I looked up to see one of the girls from the group I had just finished.

"What's wrong Lydia?"

She was around sixteen, short red hair and a passion for life.

"I was just going to ask you the same thing. I came to get something I left and I saw you. Is everything ok?"

I put on my best smile. "Yeah everything's fine. I was just talking to an old friend."

She smiled slyly. "An old friend?"

"A friend not a...friend. Did you find what you needed?"

She looked confused for a second, "Oh yeah the thing..." she looked nervous.

I looked down; there was nothing in her hands. "You didn't hear..."

Her head snapped up. "No! I just came to get my thing."

"So you didn't..."

"No." she shook her head.

"Ok. Because if you did I could explain..."

"But I didn't."

"Right."

"Right."

Silence...

"Gotta go." she ran off.

The church had a little rule: I couldn't date. It wasn't personal, the father wasn't married and neither were the others. It wasn't hard. That part of my life was over now.

*I hope she doesn't think...*

"He'd better not ruin this for me."

(Heero)

I waited in the hall of one of the Winner mansions, marveling at how big it was.

"Heero?" Trowa walked up, waking me from my daze. "Come sit down. I'm sorry Quatre's not here-"

"I know. I need to talk to you."

Trowa stopped. "Me?"

I just nodded.

"All right."

He led me to a study of some sort. "Sit down." He gestured to a chair across from him. "What did you need to talk to me about?" he asked.

"Where's Duo?"

He didn't show any sign of surprise. Keeping his face toward mine he answered, "I don't know."

"Don't lie to me Barton, you lie almost as bad as Quatre."

He looked down at his hands. "I can't tell you."

I was right. I had lied, it was just a guess, Trowa was a remarkable liar.

"Please?"

I don't know if it was the note of helplessness in my voice, or the simple fact that I never asked for anything, but he after he looked at me for a long time, he shook his head and answered.

"I'm not exactly sure. He went back to L2, he's a priest in some church. He didn't say much, but he did change his name. It's something Solo. At first I thought it was a joke, knowing Duo, but Quatre said no, though he didn't explain."

Not much but it was enough.

"Thank you Trowa."

He nodded and I got up to leave.

"But Heero, do me a favor?"

I paused at the doorway.

"Don't tell Quatre. He'd kill me."

I smiled for the first time in a long while. "Sure."

He sighed, relieved. "Thanks."

(1)

(Duo)

Lydia walked up to my desk, I had asked her to stay after group. We needed to talk. "You wanted to see me Father Solo?"

"Yeah." I waved her to sit in a chair. "How much did you hear?"

"But I didn't-" she started as she plopped herself down.

I frowned at her. "You're lying. How much?"

She looked down and mumbled. "Everything."

*Didn't expect that*

"Everything?"

She nodded. "I heard the vid-phone ringing and I was curious. You never did talk about yourself. I heard it all."

I rubbed my temples trying to think of how to explain.

"So who is he?"

I looked up sharply, "'Who is' who?"

She smiled "Heero."

I knew I flinched at his name.

She saw it.

"A friend," I answered.

"Just 'a friend'? He seemed pretty important. Who was he? What did he do? Why can't-"

I cut her off. "I think it's time to go."

She looked disappointed. "Fine. But I think you should talk-"

"And I think you need to get going. Bye now!"

(Heero)

//Searching...//

"Father Solo..." I sat back letting the computer do the rest.

*Why does that sound familiar? Please work...*

I held my breath waiting for the search to finish.

//Match//

I let it out. I've found him. I've found Duo.

(Heero)

I walked in to a small church.

*He's here.*

"Can I help you?" I turned to see an elderly priest.

"Yes I'm looking for someone, is Father Solo here?"

*Please be here.*

The father nodded. "Yes. Would you mind waiting here?"

I could only nod, I was shaking so bad. When he walked away I sat down in one of the pews to try and settle my limbs.

"Excuse me?" I looked up to see a girl standing next to me. "Um, I heard you wanted to see Father Solo. Do you know him?"

I nodded. "Yes."

She was bursting with curiosity. "May I ask your name?"

I looked at her closely. She seemed harmless enough. "Heero."

She smiled brightly. "Heero? Really? I have to go!" She ran out toward the entrance.

I stood ready to run after her. *Damn it! She could have been anybody, I should have just-*

"H-Heero?" a voice interrupted my thoughts.

I stood up quickly.

I knew his voice anywhere.

I turned to see Duo looking at me coldly. "How did you find me?"

(Duo)

"There's someone here to see you Father Solo."

I looked up surprised. Father Sirus had walked in, and I was so lost in thought

I didn't hear him. "Me?"

"I believe so. He's waiting in the chapel for you."

*He? Oh Quatre! Of course, I was always asking him to come over.*

"Thank you Father, I'm sorry to have to trouble you."

He nodded and walked out. I stepped out of the side room thinking about where I could take Quatre to lunch when I stopped. There were two figures in the chapel, a man and a girl. The girl I recognized as Lydia, but the man was definitely not Quatre.

Lydia ran off looking extremely happy.

I came up closer to the man. Dark hair hung over his forehead shadowing though not quite covering his dark blue eyes.

*It's him!*

Heero.

I didn't know what to do. I wanted to jump in to his arms, sock him in the stomach, and run away and never look back, all at the same time.

I decide on something less dramatic.

"H-Heero?"

He turns to look at me. I feel the hate crawl in to my heart again.

"How did you find me?"

"Duo." He walks up with a smile on his face, it changed quickly when he noticed mine. "Please, we need to talk." His voice had a pleading note to it, hard to refuse.

*I'll kill Quatre if he told,* I thought grimly.

"Fine. We can talk in there," I said pointing to the small closet I called my office.

"Thank you."

I led him in, pulling out a chair from the wall before sitting behind my desk. It was stupid, but having that barrier between us helped.

I look up at him. "So?"

(Lydia)

*Heero! He's here!*

I ran around the small church, coming to stop outside Father Solo's office window. I sat down under it and waited. Soon I heard the door open and close, and Father Solo's voice.

"So?"

(Heero)

I didn't know where to begin.

*When did you come here? Why here? Why Solo?*

He wanted me to start, understandable. "A priest?"

At least I managed to make him smile. "Yeah. Weird huh? 'The God of Death' a priest?" he sighed deeply before continuing. "I lived at a church you know, when I was younger. They were my family. I always knew in the back of my head that I was going to be back, back to serve god. I just forgot for a while."

I thought of another question. "Do they know?"

He closed his eyes. "Yes...and no. I told the father I used to be a Gundam pilot. He understands why I don't want anyone to know, and sees why I'd want to do this. I'm making up for what I did, the lives I changed, the people I've killed..."

(Lydia)

I bit my lip and closed my eyes, listening intently.

*You haven't seen him for at least a year and you talk about church and war?*

(Heero)

I nodded. "I see. But that's not what I'm talking about."

He looked at me, confused. "I don't understand."

"Do they know about your...preferences?"

He blushed slightly looking back down at his hands. "Yes, but it didn't matter. The Father is very kind, but he has his rules." He blushed again and didn't go on.

So I did. "Solo?"

He looked up. "Hmm?"

I shook my head. "No. Why Solo? It seems kind of...obvious."

He shook his head smiling. "I know, it doesn't seem original but I felt if I was going to choose a name -especially one that's going to be with me the rest of my life- I had to choose one that I was comfortable with. Solo...the name of an old dear friend, the first one I remember."

He was staring out the window, lost in his memories. After a minute he shook his head, and smiled. "Sorry"

(Lydia)

*I knew it! Heero wasn't just a friend! He was a...a what?*

(Duo)

I could feel it. My heart was melting. He was just there, talking, but it was warming. I felt myself wanting to look at him, laugh with him, just be with him.

*No! I can't let him do this!*

"What have you been up to?" I asked.

He looked out the window staring at nothing in particular. "Nothing. I've been looking for you, you're very good at hiding."

Cold swept through my heart once more as the thought plaguing me formed it's self in to words. "What about Relena?"

He turned to look straight into my eyes. "I ended it the day after you got sick."

The cold changed. Some of the hate melted, replaced by guilt. "Y-you did what?"

*I'm losing control! Keep it together Duo!*

Willing my voice to stay calm I added, "I'm sorry to hear that."

We stared at each other. He was trying to call my bluff again.

He broke the contest. "I didn't come to talk about Relena."

I couldn't sit anymore. I got up and walked to a bookshelf in the corner. I couldn't face him. "Oh?"

I heard him sigh from behind me. "No. We need to talk..."

I turned around to face him. "About what Heero? You going to tell me you're sorry again? I'm happy here Heero..." I turned to face the shelf again, adding quietly, "I'm happy without you."

I built a wall, a solid wall from the cold that had surrounded my heart. He wouldn't get in again.

"I don't care." he'd come up behind me so quietly I didn't know he was there until he had my arm.

He turned me around to face him. He had gotten taller, taller then me by a few inches. He was so close; I could feel the warmth of his hand on my arm.

*No.* I clenched my jaw, willing myself to look at his face. "Let go," I ordered.

His grip tightened slightly. "I don't care if you say you're happy. I know you don't mean it. I'm not either. I love you Duo Maxwell and I'll be damned if I ever let you go."

The wall crumbled, the ice melted, no matter how much I tried to keep it there, my defenses fell. Air came in shallow gasps and my heart was beating faster each moment.

"No Heero..." It was my last feeble attempt at keeping him away.

He reached out to my face, brushing away a tear I didn't know had formed. He leaned forward and gently touched my lips with his.

(Lydia)

They had been quiet for I while.

*Maybe I can just peek...*

I slowly lifted my head to see through the open blinds.

Heero had his arms around Father Solo. *They're kissing!* I could have squealed!

"What are you doing?"

I froze for a moment, then turned to see Father Sirus looking at me.

"Oh! It's you. Nothing," I lied.

He looked more closely at the window and sighed. "You had better go get ready."

(Heero)

I could have stayed with him forever, holding him in my arms. We broke the kiss but still held on to each other. We probably could have stayed like that, but someone knocked on the door.

Duo jumped.

"Father Solo?" a voice called from the other side of the door.

Duo unwound himself from my arms, wiped his eyes and walked behind his desk before answering, "come in."

The father that I had spoken to earlier walked in, frowning. "I'm sorry to interrupt but I need to talk to you."

Duo nodded calmly. "I see. Heero? It was nice seeing you again, maybe we can talk another time."

He'd managed to seal himself off again, like nothing ever happened.

*If that's the way you want it...*

I left without saying goodbye.

(Duo)

"Please sit, Father Sirus."

I moved from behind the desk and sat in Heero's now vacant chair. When the Father had settled himself, he folded his hands and spoke. "Father Solo, when I took you in to this church that there were certain rules I asked you to fallow. There was a girl, Lydia I believe, outside of your window. Did you know this?"

*Lydia?*

I shook my head. "No, I did not."

"You know the rules of this church. I can't have scandal in a place of god. I didn't think it would come to this, but I'm afraid if you wish to be a part of this church, you can't be..." he let the sentience trail off but it was clear.

"I understand."

*Perfectly.*

He wanted me to choose: Heero or the church.

*What am I going to do? This is what I was meant to do. I can feel it! But...*

"So what is your answer?"

~A little later~

(Duo)

I sat, staring at the cross in my hands.

*Why can't I have both? I never knew it would be this hard. 'Life isn't a fairy tail' the words still sting. Until I had spoken them I really thought it would be, that out of the pain good would come shining through. And now here I am, back to where I started, scared and alone with nothing to call my own but this cross.*

I sighed.

*I can go live a full life as a priest, paying for what I've done. Or live my life for love, be with Heero forever. Or would it be? Life throws things like that at you, you chose one thing, it doesn't work and you wish you could go back.*

I move my hand letting my cross catch the artificial light of the colony.

*Would Heero even take me back? I treated him like dirt in front of Father Sirus.*

I pulled my legs under my chin and stared in to nothing.

There were footsteps behind me.

I whipped around only to find a surprised Lydia. "Lydia! What are you doing here?"

She plopped down next to me. "I followed you. I'm sorry, I was the one who got you caught."

I shook my head. "It would have happened eventually." I sighed.

Lying back I propped myself up on my elbows.

After a few moments of silence I asked, "so, what do you think of him?"

She smiled. "He's cute, quiet but cute." She turned to me. "You like him a lot, don't you?"

I rubbed the back of my neck. "Yeah, I guess I do."

"So what's the problem?"

I looked at her with raised eyebrows. "You don't miss anything, do you?"

She shook her head.

"Fine. The problem is that I have to choose. I can keep on living like I have been, cleansing my soul. I did a lot of bad things in my life, killed a lot of innocent people. Or, I could live with Heero, and be loved." the last words caught on unwanted tears, but she looked at me like I was an idiot. "What?"

She shook her head. "You're in denial. Don't you see that this isn't a choice? Who ever said you needed to be a priest to serve god? Who ever said that love isn't what cleanses your soul? And most of all who ever said that life isn't a fairy tale? It can be, if you look at it like that!

"He came looking for you, he loves you but all you say is that it isn't perfect. Nothing is perfect! This is as close to a fairy tale as your going to get! Wake up Duo Maxwell! Your life is passing you by while your waiting for it to be 'right' instead of living it! Grow up!"

I stared at her for moment taking in everything she said. "Where did you learn so much?"

"Argh!!" she yelled in anger. "That's not important! Go get him!" she had her hands on her hips, looking down on me.

*She right you know,* said that little annoying voice in the back of my head. *What happened to the Duo Maxwell who would jump off a cliff if he felt like it?*

"You're right. I'm going," I decided. I ran off yelling goodbyes. "Thank you Lydia!"

I ran, feeling as free as a child again.

(2)

Lydia stood watching the retreating man, as a figure walked up.

"You did well Helen."

She turned to see Father Sirus smiling at her. "I thought I'd slipped."

He shook his head. "He didn't notice."

She smiled even brighter. "We raised him well, didn't we Father Maxwell?"

They turned, watching him go.

"Yes," Father Maxwell replied. "He's a fine man."

When Duo was just a blur, Helen turned back to the father. "I wish we could have told him."

He nodded. "Me too."

"Shall we go then?"

He let out a sigh. "Yes. We've done all we can."

Helen took one last look around, breathing in the air before hooking her arm around the Father's. "He'll be all right."

As they started walking, Helen sighed. "The children liked seeing Duo again, they really did miss him."

The Father smiled and nodded. "They will rest easier, knowing they have helped him."

Together they walked back to where they belonged.

(3)

Heero sat on a bench trying to sort through what had happened. He thought everything was fine, that it was going to work out. But that look on Duo's face when the father walked in...

He laid his head back, unaware of the person who had just sat next to him.

Duo just admired the beauty, his eyes tracing every line of Heero's face. He got up smiling and walked behind the unsuspecting man. He leaned over his face and gently tickled the end of his nose with his braid.

Heero twitched for a second before his eyes flew open.

"Boo," Duo said softly.

(Duo)

"Duo..."

I smiled at him. "Hey Heero! What are you doing just sitting there? Here I am..." I threw up one hand. "...Mister nice guy, thinking you'd want to go get somthin' to eat and I find you sleeping on a bench! Man, you sure do know how to live."

He looked at me like I was nuts, then smiled. "You're...you."

I gave him my biggest grin. "Of course I am! Who else would I be? Now if you don't mind, I don't have all day! I'm starvin'! You comin'?" I looked at him hopefully.

He gave me a rare smile. "Sure."

(Duo)

And so, we began life as us.

Wufei and sally eventually got married, nothing flashy.

Quatre and Trowa had one fight, broke up for a day, then made up a day later saying they'd 'never part again'.

Relena married some politician. I hear she's happy, though we never really got along I guess I'm happy for her.

And me? Well, I got over the fact that life isn't perfect. I still serve god, but in my own way.

Heero and I might get hitched some day, you never know, but I love him, and he loves me. I'm happy and for the first time in my life I feel full. I'm not saying we'll live happily ever after. There are some bad things in life too. But what I'm saying is that everything in between feels like magic.

And now I live my life, for the fairy tale in between.

-Yours truly,

Duo Maxwell

(4)

*End*

~~~~~

~~~~

(1) He he he! Trowa's whipped!

(2) Can anyone think of a better word then "argh"? I really don't like it but I couldn't think of a better one.

(3) ya all know about sister Helen and Father Maxwell? They're in Duo's episode Zero, you can find translations at gundamwing.net and well a lot of other places too! (it's just

where I found them) and also that part just came out. sorry if it didn't fit in to the story right.

Also, I added the little part about the kids. See, they're the kids who were in the church when it was destroyed, I figure they probably looked up to Duo since he'd been around a lot and stuff, big brother type a thing.

(4) Grrr! I liked this end when I wrote it but I just re-read it and I hate it! grrr! It lost all my good thoughts. ::Sigh:: oh well I couldn't think of a better way to end it so I'll leave it.

~~~~

Wow, did you really read the whole thing? Thanks ^_^ I know, it was bad, please understand, I can write better then that!

Go read my other fics! Really, I can do better! Thanks again for reading. Review if you're still here please? Just so I know if some read it?

Nikki :-P