Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Friendship: comfort for the hurt ❯ Conversations with Relena and Duo ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: I don't own gundam wing.

Pairings: None.

A/N: Review please.

***

Relena studied the boy with interest. No, she told herself firmly. He wasn't a boy but a man. It was hard to think of the other this way when he was currently lying on the guest bed, with the most peaceful expression on his face. She marveled at the fact that sleep could make a person drop down all their defenses, and masks that one person could put up when awake. All pretense was dropped in their sleep and their true selves were revealed. Yet, that peaceful look itself could have been an illusion. For if that person woke, his eyes would speak more than his current expression ever would. They were two cobalt orbs that shone with wisdom and humor. His laughter would light up the entire room.

It was a pity that some people would brush this off as normal, when in fact, it really wasn't. Nothing about Duo Maxwell was normal. This much Relena could tell. They had never been close to eachother, and when they had first met, Relena had thought nothing of him. She had almost been fooled by his 'normal' attitude. But still, how could a soldier of war live to survive, and not have a darker side? Yes, there were many things Relena didn't know about Duo. It had only just occurred to her that this person, seemingly the most normal of them all, would have a darker side. She had never really been one to eavesdrop intentionally, and the reason these thoughts had come to her had all been the fault of a certain, Quatre Raberba Winner. It was unintentional, on his behalf, of course. He had been talking to his friend Trowa. Relena had walked in on them talking on the vid-phone. It was how Relena had accidentally heard some very disturbing things.

Even now, she shuddered to hear herself think about it. She would usually have expected something like this to happen to Heero, but Duo? Relena suddenly had to change her whole evaluation of the person. Yet, try as she did, she could not seem to see anything wrong with him. Duo, himself, had seemed nice enough at the party, nothing to suggest that anything could be amiss. Heero at that time, had been too busy with security procedures to appear. It appeared that there were still some people out there, who despised her way of governing, but not enough to form an organization. Apparently, they may have despised her because they had been one of the few that actually enjoyed the war. Relena couldn't for the life of her, figure out why. She had renounced pacifism, and all she had wanted to do after that was help improve the world. In the end, she had resigned herself to thinking that some people were just different from the world. However, it would be over Relena's dead body if another war would start again.

Duo stirred slightly, and Relena focused her attention on him as he started to wake. He blinked, and then let out a loud yawn. His eyes flickered around the room in surprise before he sat up straighter and got up. "Heero's not here, is he?" His voice came out hoarse, as if he had just woken up, which he had, and it was filled with worry. He cursed himself for having fallen asleep. Heero should have gotten here by now. His eyes fell on Relena and he let out a weak grin. "Oh hey Relena, how are ya? You may be wondering why I'm here right now and I have a good explanation. Just uh...let me think for a while." He furrowed his eyebrows in thought and scratched the back of his neck sheepishly. He was feeling pretty awkward right now, especially since he had walked into Relena's house, uninvited and had fallen asleep in it.

"Heero is not here, why do you ask?" questioned Relena.

"Well, knowing him, he would have probably arrived here by now." Duo could just picture it. Heero walking in and grabbing him by the braid, then dragging him all the way back home while he yelled at Heero to let go - Duo shook his head distractedly, wondering where that thought came from.

"Are you in trouble with him?"

"Well, not really, but I might be once he gets here."

Relena sighed at Duo. "You came here because of him, didn't you?"

"Yeah, how'd ya know?"

"I can tell when you get this look you have when you talk about him, like you were doing something he wouldn't like."

"Really? I'm that obvious?" Duo looked non-plussed and Relena smiled.

"No, but it reminds me of how I used to be like."

Duo chuckled. "You used to be like me? No offense, miss, but I really can't see you shooting anyone in the leg, or the arm."

"Does the heart count?" asked Relena innocently.

Duo eyes widened. "W - what?!" he choked out.

This time, it was Relena's turn to laugh. "There's a lot of things you don't know about me Duo." And I about you, she thought sadly. "Things that I'd like to forget."

The other looked dubious. "Well, at least I've got the basic idea, I mean, you're nice and confident. And I'm safe, right? You aren't hiding a gun or anythin' in that blouse, are ya?"

"No."

"...Can I check?" Asked Duo, grinning mischieviously.

"No," said Relena. She flushed embarrassedly. After all, no one had ever asked her a question like that before.

"Aww, damn," pouted Duo looking disappointed, but he quickly brightened up and flashed her an 'innocent' grin as Relena started to speak again.

"Ahem," Relena cleared her throat uncomfortably. "However interesting this subject seems, you didn't come here just to ask me that."

"Oh yeah," said Duo, turning serious. "I came here to ask you why you broke up with Heero."

"Oh," said Relena. She blinked. She hadn't really expected him to ask her like that and it caught her off guard for a second. "Well, it's kind of hard to explain..." She trailed off, clasping her hands together as she stared pensively out the window. The scenery outside was lovely and there was a short period of silence as just she stared out of there, before she spoke again. "It's just that, when he was with me, he seemed to be far away. He was looking at me, but he wasn't really. It's that dazed expression he gets when he's thinking of something. I used to wonder what it was that would get him like this, but we never had the time to discuss it." She closed her eyes in deep thought as she started to remember. "He was perfect in every way, but he was sad. It was like...there was something on his mind. I used to hear him tossing and turning at night, but I was usually too tired to say anything."

"So you let him go?"

Relena nodded. "Yes, I had to, because there wasn't anything I could do for him."

"That makes sense, I guess," Duo said softly. "But still, I'd liked it if he didn't have ta be so sad about it. I gotta tell ya, I'm pretty worried about him. I came home to find him just sittin' there and doing nothing and we both know that's not like him." During the war, Duo had grown to know Heero as a guy that never stopped working. When he did stop working though, Duo would have thought that he, at least, would have been relaxing. But when Duo had walked home, Heero had just been staring out into space. Either that was a new way of relaxing, or Heero was brooding.

It had troubled Duo since he knew there wasn't much to brood about in the time of peace (at least, not for Heero anyway). That and that he wasn't sure how long Heero had been sitting like that when he saw him. Duo leaned back against the headboard of the bed and placed his hands behind his head, in a casual gesture. "I thought that you might know why he was like that." He looked up at the roof, seeming to study the inside of the roof. "But then again, I guess there's no way of finding out." he said solemnly.

"Duo," started Relena.

"I mean I know's he not that social with people, so there's no chance of him havin' a secret friend none of us know of. Unless there are other crazies out there like him, who will go near him without being afraid of being shot to death. No offense Relena," he added.

"Duo!" said Relena loudly.

"Hmm?" He turned and looked at Relena. "Did ya say somethin'?"

"I know who can help him," said Relena, smiling at him in a way that was making him feel uneasy.

"Uh, who?" asked Duo. He didn't like the way she was eyeing him.

"You," said Relena.

"Me?!" exclaimed Duo.

"Yes. You're his friend, are you not?"

"But...but..."

"Look Duo, I know you have problems of your own, but you're a good person. You can help him. Just support him and be his friend - "

" - that's what I've been doing," interrupted Duo, but Relena continued, unheeding of the interruption.

"He needs someone to listen to him. I cannot do that, because of my duties to the Earth. There's something wrong with him, Duo. He may have a will to survive now, but what he needs, is someone to be there with him, on that way to living a peaceful life. And that's why I want you to promise me something, Duo. Promise me, that you won't leave him alone."

The silence was longer this time, as Duo thought over her words. "Some people, can survive alone," he said quietly.

"I know," responded Relena. "Just think about what I'm saying to you now."

I wanted to be the one to help him, Duo. But don't you see? I just can't do it. There's just too much to do. Relena pleaded with Duo silently, her eyes never leaving his face. "I don't know," Duo sighed, with uncertainty.

"He needs a friend," repeated Relena.

"So you give up, and I step in?" Duo sighed, exasperated.

"I have no choice, but you do. Are you giving up too, Duo?" She countered calmly.

They stared at eachother, their eyes never leaving the other's faces. It was a battle of wills. On Relena's side, she was pleading with Duo to understand her position. "Relena, you gotta understand. I don't think I'm the kinda person Heero needs right now. I mean, we are exact opposites. We'd probably fight all the time. I don't understand a thing about him. Sometimes, I question if we even are friends," Duo looked sad as he said this. As much as he hated to say it, though, he knew it was true. "He ignores me all the time, when I try ta talk to him, and he doesn't seem to know me at all. And I'll worry about him all the time."

"Which is exactly what he needs. He needs someone who cares about him, and can be there for him. He needs someone to keep on trying. I know you're not the person to give up easily Duo. You were a gundam pilot." Relena continued to look at Duo, never looking away. Duo had to hand it to her. When she was determined, she was determined. "Duo," she sighed. "I just want him to be happy. With me, he is isolated. We'll only spend time going to boring parties and meetings he would never attend, because he's busy trying to perfect the security around the actual place. Which is unecessary anyway."

Duo chuckled again, out of nowhere. She had a point. Even if they could have attended parties by Quatre (or someone Heero actually knew), it would usually be a chance they'd attend only 99 percent of the time, since the other was usually too busy with meetings of his own. But all in all, Heero would stand out against the party and meetings. They would be surrounded by people who didn't understand anything about wars or were, as Duo described, 'snotty people who had no idea what actual fighting in a war was like'.

Which was probably why Heero chose to avoid the parties. Which was why he was isolated from them. Although, since he and Relena's relationship would have to be secret, he was never required to attend the party, or meeting. In other words, Heero would be completely alone, Duo thought to himself. Duo pushed himself off from his leaning position again, on the bed, and stood up. "Alright then, I guess you win. I'll do what I can, but if he leaves, then I can't do anything."

"And if he doesn't?"

Duo shrugged as he walked to the door and opened it. Before he left, he turned to Relena and said.

"I haven't thought that far yet, I'll think about it when the time comes."

And then he left. You believe in people, more than they believe in themselves, Relena, he thought to himself as he walked away. I just wish I could do that too.

***

Heero stood outside the Dorlian mansion, just waiting for Duo to come out. He had thought of going in many times, but just as he was about to, something stopped him. Follow your emotions, Heero. Do you trust him? He heard the voice of his past mentor, Odin Lowe, talking to him. It was strange because this hadn't happened in a long time since the war. He doesn't understand. For some reason, Heero didn't feel abnormal argueing with his voice. He'll try to mess things up, he thought. I can't let him make this mistake.

You should have more confidence in him, chuckled Odin. He'll understand. Heero mentally shook his head. How could he? Heero started walking towards the mansion. Heero, said Odin sternly. Heero stopped. Do you trust him? Heero knew it was useless to ignore his voice. I...don't know. He finally said to himself. It's a yes or no question, kid, said Odin seriously. Heero was confused. Did he trust Duo? He searched his mind and came up with one answer. Yes, I do trust him, he realized. "I trust him. He won't mess this up," Heero said, determinedly.

"Really?" said a surprised, but pleased voice. "I didn't know ya cared. Thanks buddy."

"Duo?"

Duo yawned and he walked over to Heero, slinging an arm around him. "I don't know 'bout you, but I'm ready to hit the hay. What do you say we head back home?" He looked over at where his car was parked, but didn't see another one. "Hey Heero, where's your car?" He asked curiously.

"It broke down so I walked."

"You walked all the way here?!" Duo's shout echoed across the empty street. Man, he really is crazier than I thought. He then shook his head dissmissively. "Nevermind, I guess that's a good thing. You drive my car and I snooze, hmm?" Suddenly, Duo realized that he was talking to thin air. "Huh?" He looked around, since Heero had somehow managed to disappear again. He caught sight of Heero getting into the car. "Oi Heero! Wait for me!" He raced towards the car, panting as Heero unlocked the door for him. "You coulda waited for me, couldn't ya?" He complained. "Nothing wrong with talking now, is there?"

Heero smirked as he started the car and Duo climbed in. "Hang on," he warned, and then they sped across the road, with Duo whooping for joy all the way home, his earlier admission of sleep forgotten.

***