Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ Chapter 17 ( Chapter 17 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G boys, I just borrow them from time to time and return them a whole lot happier. I do own the plot and any other characters, especially the equines, that you will find in this fic. Please do not take them without permission. Written for pleasure not profit.
 
Pairing: 2x1x2, 3x4, 13x6, H+C
 
Warnings: Yaoi, lemon, sap, angst, vet themes, AU
 
Rating: NC 17
 
Archive: www.gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com Anyone else please ask.
 
Betaed by Yami_tai *snugs*
 
Summary: Eighteen months have passed since Heero was advised he was short listed for the Olympic games team. With Zero going well and young Shinigami almost ready to make his showjumping debut, Heero looks set to reach his goal. Life though doesn't always play by the rules.
 
Dedication: To Leslie who gave me the original idea for Equinity.
 
Many thanks to all of you out there who are reading this fic. If you have dropped a review, I thank you for your comments; if not, no problem, I hope you all continue to enjoy. *huggles* Shen ^_^
 
Fic 3 in the Equine Intervention Arc.
 
"Going for Gold"
 
January. 2007 ShenLong
 
Chapter 17
 
Heero was full of enthusiasm when he went to work at Treize's the following morning, Treize immediately picking up on the younger rider's good mood.
 
“Someone get laid last night?” Treize teased as they walked their respective mounts to the schooling paddock.
 
“Treize!” Heero blushed.
 
“There has to be some reason for the good mood you're in and getting some seems to be the most obvious reason,” Treize defended himself.
 
“You have a twisted mind, you know that?” Heero growled.
 
“Then if you didn't get laid, why the happy mood?” Treize already had a good idea of why Heero was feeling so happy, but it was fun to tease him all the same.
 
“Duo agreed to do the vet check on the filly.”
 
“Ah. When?”
 
“We're going over this afternoon once I've finished work here and he's finished surgery.”
 
“Still need a bodyguard?”
 
Heero laughed. “For me, Duo or Relena?”
 
Treize made out that he was thinking hard on the question for a moment before replying. “Probably for Relena.”
 
Heero snickered. “Duo did promise to leave all the sharp pointy things back at the surgery.”
 
“Ah, but what about the bandages? I'm told death by bandage can be pretty traumatic.”
 
“I'll pretend I didn't hear that.”
 
It was Treize's turn to laugh.
 
“If you want to come along, you know you're more than welcome, Treize,” Heero said, his tone becoming serious.
 
“Thank you. If you don't mind, I'd like to. I'd be interested to hear what Duo has to say about the filly.”
 
“Then I'll swing by and pick you up on the way to Relena's.”
 
“I'll be ready. Now, we really need to get some work done on these nags.”
 
Heero smiled and then focused solely on working Altron.
 
* * *
 
Duo looked up from inside the kennel where he was checking the recovery of his patient to see Heero standing in the doorway of the kennels. “Hey, finished work already?”
 
“Hai. It's three thirty.”
 
“I'll be with you in a moment, just need to finish checking Sam's vitals.”
 
“Sam?” Heero questioned and moved in a little further.
 
“Yeah. Border collie, brought in for a bit of dentistry. A couple of his back teeth were going rotten so I removed them.”
 
“Ah.” Heero peered in at the dog that was partially conscious.
 
“Okay, all done. Sam's looking good so far. I'll just drop the file back in reception and go up the house to change out of these slacks and into some jeans.”
 
“Catherine gone already?” Heero asked as he followed his lover along the hallway to the reception area.
 
“Yes. She will be back later to help Hilde with evening consults,” Duo replied as he placed the folder on the reception desk. “Okay, just let me get changed and we can head over and see this female that has you so captivated.”
 
Heero rolled his eyes. “Treize wanted to know if it would be all right for him to come along as well. He's interested to see what you think of Angel too. I said it would be okay and that we'd pick him up on the way. You don't mind, do you?”
 
“That's fine with me, Heero.”
 
Heero relaxed a little. “I'll go check on Zero while you get changed. I'll meet you by the car when you're ready.”
 
“Will do.”
 
* * *
 
Duo found it hard to keep his nervousness at bay, the closer they got to the Peacecraft stud, the more the butterflies seemed to swarm in his stomach. He knew he was being ridiculous, that he had nothing to be nervous about, but after all he'd gone through with the pink parasite in the past, it wasn't easy to forget and act as if nothing had ever happened.
 
Sensing how his lover was feeling, Heero took Duo's hand in his own and squeezed gently, letting his partner know that all was going to be okay, that Heero wasn't about to put his boyfriend in a situation he couldn't control.
 
Duo gratefully squeezed back and then mentally scolded himself. He was a grown man and more than capable of protecting himself both physically and verbally from Miss Pizzacrap. He gave a soft snort to himself and shook his head. He'd have to watch his mouth, the mangling of Relena's name was something he couldn't seem to help.
 
Heero turned off the main road and followed the smaller road for a couple of kilometers before pulling off to the left and along a bitumen driveway. Up ahead he could see the mansion Relena lived in, on either side of the drive were green pastures, although the horses in them were far off under a belt of trees. Heero drove through the two pillars and overhead arch that signaled the entry to the stud and brought the car to a stop.
 
“We're here,” Heero said stating the obvious and trying to remain calm, even though the excitement at seeing the filly again was bubbling away inside and threatening to spill out at any moment.
 
Duo swallowed and undid his seatbelt.
 
The three stepped out of the car and Treize led the way to the front door. He rang the doorbell and moments later Dorothy opened the door and greeted them. She took them inside and to the office where Relena was waiting for them. Duo was still on edge, the fight or flight response running through his veins. It had been a while since he'd dealt with the woman and wasn't too sure exactly what to expect from her. He needn't have worried, Relena was the perfect hostess.
 
“Good afternoon, gentlemen,” Relena greeted as she rose from her chair.
 
“Relena,” Treize nodded.
 
“Miss Peacecraft,” Heero returned.
 
“Ah, Miss Pieceof... Peacecraft,” Duo muttered, correcting his mouth quickly.
 
Relena could tell how uncomfortable this was for Doctor Maxwell and she couldn't blame the vet for his reactions, she hadn't been exactly pleasant to the man in the past after all. Deciding to save them all a lot of pain, she moved swiftly into her business woman mode. “I know your time is valuable, Doctor Maxwell, so I propose we go directly to the stables where you can perform your check on Angel Wings. Once you have completed your veterinary check we can return to the house and discuss the matter further. If you would follow me?”
 
“Thank you,” Duo said quietly. He appreciated the way in which his former 'enemy' was acting, keeping strictly to business and that suited him just fine; business mode he could handle, it was the emotional mode he had trouble dealing with.
 
Relena took them from the house, along a short pathway and into the center area of the stable complex. Walker greeted them as soon as he heard them coming.
 
“Mr Treize, Mr Yuy, Doctor Maxwell, good to see you all again,” the head groom said.
 
“Walker, Doctor Maxwell is here to do a veterinary check on Angel Wings. Would you be so kind as to fetch her from her stable, please?” Relena asked with a smile. She had no doubts in her mind that the filly would pass inspection.
 
“Of course, ma'am.” Walker dipped his head in acknowledgment and then went to fetch the filly.
 
“Where would you like to do the check, Doctor Maxwell?” Relena asked, turning to face the vet.
 
“Jut here in the courtyard will be fine,” replied Duo as he dropped his bag to the ground and focused on the horse Walker was leading towards them. His eyes widened a little as he took in the filly.
 
“Told you she was something special,” Heero whispered and nudged his lover in the ribs lightly.
 
“I have a few phone calls to make so I'll leave you to it. Once you're done, come on back up to the house and we will talk further,” Relena said feeling it would be best if she were to leave the vet alone to do his check. She knew that Doctor Maxwell would probably feel better if she wasn't around and she had no reason not to trust him to check the horse properly.
 
“Thank you,” Duo replied.
 
“I'll come back with you, Relena,” Treize said. “There's a couple of things I'd like to talk to you about.”
 
“Okay. I'll have Dorothy make some tea.” Relena took her leave, Treize beside her.
 
Once the pair had left, Duo opened his bag and removed his stethoscope and thermometer. “Okay, let's get this check started, shall we?”
 
Duo went over the filly with a fine tooth comb. The check he gave her was more than he would usually do for a vet check on an equine, but if Heero was investing his hard earned cash in this animal then Duo was going to make sure she was in perfect health. He took her temperature, heart and breathing rates, his hands and fingers probed and prodded over her legs, neck and back. He checked her feet, applying pressure to each leg in turn by holding it at a certain angle and then having Walker trot her out so he could see how quickly she regained her balance and even gait. He picked each hoof up in turn and using calipers, applied pressure to the various points on the sole, frog and heels of the hoof, noting any tenderness. He opened her mouth, checked her teeth and gums, flashed his light in her eyes and even peered inside her furry ears. All the while the filly stood perfectly still and let the vet do whatever he wanted without fuss or murmur.
 
Finally, Duo ran a hand over the satiny neck, took a step back and looked at the filly from each side, front and back. Whilst he was no expert when it came to in depth conformation, he knew enough of the basics to tell if there was anything obviously wrong, such as pigeon toes or long in the back [1]. Satisfied with his visual explorations, Duo stepped back up to the filly, reached into his pocket and pulled out a carrot. He lay it flat on his palm and offered it to her, the soft, pink muzzle reaching forward and lipping the treat gently from his hand. Liquid brown eyes gazed trustingly back at him and Duo felt himself melting.
 
“Good girl,” Duo murmured as he petted the gray neck.
 
The filly turned and nuzzled softly.
 
“Well?” Heero demanded. He'd remained silent throughout the examination, biting his lip and shifting his weight from one foot to another as his anticipation mounted. Now that Duo had finished he wanted to know the verdict.
 
Walker also looked curious to know the answer.
 
Heero edged closer and also produced a carrot for the filly. “What do you think, Duo?” he asked again.
 
Duo snickered. “Impatient, aren't you?”
 
Heero gave him a sheepish grin and fondled the filly's ears. "I just want to know if she's worth me buying her or am I wasting my time and money?" Heero really hoped Duo's verdict would be positive.
 
A soft exhalation of breath left Duo's lips as he petted the filly again. "All right. Overall her conformation is good, no obvious faults there. She's sound and moves with an even gait. Her ribs are well sprung and the abdominal cavity large, which means she shouldn't have any trouble carrying and giving birth to a healthy foal. Heart is strong, as are the lungs. Blood supply is good, her teeth, eyes and ears all clean and she responds to stimuli correctly."
 
"And that all means?" Heero asked. He already knew it was good, he just needed Duo to say it in human terms.
 
"She's perfectly sound and healthy in wind and limb. I can't fault her at all, Heero. It's my recommendation that you purchase her."
 
"Yes!" Heero punched the air and then threw his arms around Duo's neck, only just managing to stop himself from giving his partner a kiss. He didn't think Walker would appreciate seeing that, the man was being tolerant enough as it was. He caught a glimpse of an amused smile on the groom's lips as he let Duo go.
 
"She's a sweet thing," Duo commented as he turned his attention back to the filly. "Lovely natured." He gave the filly another carrot.
 
"That she is, Doctor Maxwell. Her mother is nice natured too. She's no bother to look after either, clean in her stable habits and a pleasure to handle. I don't think it would take much to break her in. She likes to please." Walker gave the filly an affectionate pat.
 
Heero looked positively ecstatic as he also fed the filly carrots, soft, pink lips brushing lightly over his palm as the filly took them with grace.
 
"We should go back up to the house then and let Miss Peacecraft know the results of the check and discuss business with her," Duo said as he gave the filly another pat. "Thank you, Walker, for your assistance and patience."
 
"My pleasure, Doctor Maxwell. I'm glad it's Mr Yuy that's going to buy her, she will have a good home with him."
 
Duo smiled, he could hear the genuine warmth in those words and knew Walker cared a lot about his charges and where they went. "Come on, Heero. You can daydream later."
 
With one last carrot and pat to the filly the pair left and made their way back to the house.
 
* * *
 
Relena greeted them both as Dorothy brought them back through to the office. Treize was sitting there with a curious smile on his face, a smile that widened when he noted Heero's expression.
 
"Please, take a seat," Relena said as they entered. Once the pair had sat, Relena continued. "How did the vet check go?"
 
"The check went fine. She's a sound, healthy filly. Nice natured and I didn't find anything wrong with her at all," Duo replied, keeping his words to a minimum. He wanted to get out of there as fast as he could, but knew that he had to wait until all the business dealings had been completed.
 
"That's good. I didn't think you would find anything wrong, but it pays to be sure. Now, Heero?" Relena turned her attention to the dark haired rider. "The offer still stands and the price remains at six thousand plus a free service to Zero for one of my mares. Are you happy with that?"
 
"Hai. Given she's got a clean bill of health I'd like to purchase her," Heero replied.
 
"Good. I'll contact my solicitor and have him draw up the necessary papers for you to sign. I'll have them ready as soon as possible. They will simply state that you agree to purchase Angel Wings and will pay for her in the agreed installments. I take it that is still acceptable?"
 
"Hai, it is."
 
"Right then. I'll get the solicitor on to it straight away. I'll call you as soon as I have them and you can sign whenever it's convenient for you."
 
"Thank you," Heero replied.
 
"There's just the matter now of when can Heero pick the filly up?" Treize said feeling he had to say something in that regard as it seemed no one else had thought about that.
 
"Ah, yes." Relena's brow furrowed. "Usually I don't let an animal off my property until it is paid for in full. I do realize though that you will want to breed with her this season if possible. Look, I propose that the filly remains here until the first installment has been paid. Consider it a deposit or something like that. Once the first payment is made you can collect her whenever you like, however, I won't release her registration papers to you until she's fully paid for. I'm sorry if that sounds a little harsh, but I do have to protect myself. I can have that written into the purchase contract too."
 
"That sounds acceptable to me," Heero replied. He'd not really given much thought at all as to when the filly would actually come into his possession, now that he did think about it, he'd assumed he would be able to pick her up as soon as the contract was signed. What Relena said made sense, even if it did mean he would have to wait a while before he could take the filly home. It dampened his enthusiasm a little.
 
Duo remained silent throughout the business discussion and deal, it wasn't his place to interfere, this was Heero's decision, not his. He couldn't help but notice the slightly resigned look on his lover's face though when faced with knowing he wouldn't be able to take the filly home as soon as he would have liked.
 
With the final words spoken, deal all done, all that remained was for the solicitor to draw up the papers, and that wouldn't happen for a couple of days at least. The three men bade their farewells and Duo began to breathe a little easier as they left the Peacecraft stud behind.
 
The talk in the car on the way home was kept purely to discussing the filly and Duo's impression of her. He'd already given his clinical evaluation, now Heero wanted to know Duo's personal opinion of the filly.
 
"She's sweet, Heero. Lovely natured as you said and very nicely put together. I think she would be an excellent choice of brood mare," Duo said.
 
"I agree," Treize intoned from the back seat. "She's an exceptional horse and you're lucky to have found one as good as she is in such a short time. Many people spend months looking for that right animal and still never find it."
 
"She is something special," Heero replied.
 
They continued to chat about Angel until they reached Treize's home and dropped the other man off.
 
"I'll see you tomorrow, Heero. Thanks for taking me with you."
 
"My pleasure, Treize. Thank you for coming."
 
"I'll see you again soon, Duo."
 
"Take care, Treize," Duo said as Heero slipped the car into gear and began to drive off.
 
Once they were alone and heading back to the practice, Duo fell silent. Heero could tell from his partner's face that there was something on his mind, he wasn't quite sure how to break into Duo's thoughts though and see what the problem was so he said nothing, confident that Duo would tell him when he was ready.
 
They arrived back at the practice, Heero was about to go down to the stables and check Zero when Duo stopped him.
 
"Heero?"
 
"Hai?"
 
"Would you mind coming inside first before seeing to the horses? There's something I'd like to talk to you about."
 
"Ah, okay." Heero followed his boyfriend inside, his curiosity getting the better of him and wondering what it was Duo wanted to discuss with him.
 
Duo made them both a coffee and then sat at the kitchen table with Heero across from him.
 
"What's up?" Heero asked, deciding the direct approach was probably the best.
 
Duo ran his fingers through his bangs and sighed. "Look, I know this isn't really my place to say anything and all, but I can't sit back and watch without saying something."
 
"Is this to do with Angel? Or is it to do with Relena?"
 
"Both, actually. Please, hear me out first, then we can discuss your thoughts on the matter."
 
"Okay, I'm listening." Heero took a long drink from his coffee, the warm liquid heating him from the inside and calming his nerves a little.
 
"I still agree that Angel is a good purchase, she's a nice mare and should be an ideal brood mare. What's got me worried though is the thought of you having to pay for her in installments. I know you don't have that sort of cash on hand, but the thought of you being held to 'ransom' by that woman doesn't sit well with me. I'd prefer it if you didn't have much contact at all with her and paying the filly off means you will have to see her to make the payments."
 
"Do I detect a little jealousy here?" Heero teased.
 
"Damn right you do. I know she's changed, but I still don't trust her." Duo sighed.
 
"But I can't pay for her in one lump sum, I don't have the finances to do that. I really don't want to give her up either, but if it really bothers you that much then I would."
 
"Oh, Heero. I'm not asking you to give her up, I'd never do that. I can see your heart is set on having her, I didn't miss the flash of disappointment either when the parasite said you couldn't have her until the first payment is made."
 
Heero blushed a little with that. "I didn't think it was that obvious."
 
"Heero! Any fool can see how taken you are with Angel and all you want to do is have her here," Duo chuckled.
 
"Yeah, well."
 
"I have a solution to the problem here."
 
"You do?"
 
"I still have a few dollars left over from the settlement and with the practice doing well, my bank balance is looking quite healthy."
 
"But, Duo..."
 
"Don't interrupt."
 
Heero gave a frustrated sigh. He knew where this was heading now and he wasn't about to let it happen.
 
"I'll loan you the money to purchase Angel. There's a difference here, note I said `loan'. I know you well enough by now and I wouldn't insult you by offering to pay for her on your behalf. No, what I propose is a similar thing to what Relena's planning on doing. I'll loan you the six thousand, that way Angel is paid for and you can bring her home as soon as you wish. It also means you won't have to deal with that pink person anymore. If it makes you more comfortable I can have legal papers drawn up to that effect." Duo sat back and waited for Heero's response.
 
"I, Duo, I don't know what to say."
 
"Then just say yes."
 
"You're willing to loan me the money to buy Angel?"
 
"Yes. The deal would be the same but instead of you paying Relena the thousand each time you get payment for Zero's services, you would pay it back to me. You'd still have to give her that free service to Zero though."
 
"Duo..."
 
"Heero, I want to do this for you, besides, it's not just for you, it's for my peace of mind too."
 
Closing his eyes for a moment, Heero let the thoughts run through his mind, looking at every possible angle. He had to admit the offer was tempting. He didn't relish the idea of having to see Relena any more than was absolutely necessary. If he took Duo's offer it would mean he would only have to see her again once, to pay the money and pick up the filly.
 
"Duo? Are you sure about this? It's a lot of money."
 
"Heero. If I didn't trust you I wouldn't have offered."
 
"Thank you."
 
"Then we have a deal?"
 
"We have a deal." Heero got up and pulled his lover to his feet. Taking Duo's lips with his own he proceeded to kiss the vet senseless. "You know this means a lot to me."
 
"I know, but as I said before, I have my own selfish reasons too. I just don't want that woman anywhere near you if I can help it. Call me possessive or whatever you like, I don't care, you're mine, Heero, and I protect what's mine.""Have I told you lately just how much I love you?" Heero said softly, the warm breath tickling over Duo's neck.
 
"I do believe you have mentioned it a couple of times," Duo chuckled.
 
"Don't ever doubt it, Duo. You're the other half of my soul and I love you with every fiber of my being.""Aww, Heero. You're getting all poetic and sappy on me."
 
"Don't care." Heero took his partner's lips again in a heated kiss.
 
"How soon do you want to pick up Angel?" Duo asked as he feathered kisses along Heero's neck and then nibbled on an earlobe.
 
"As soon as it's possible?"
 
Duo chuckled. "Why don't you go give Miss Piece-of-shit a call and tell her not to worry about setting things up with the solicitor, that you can have a bank check for her for the full amount tomorrow morning. You can also arrange a pick up time for the filly and have her get the paperwork for transfer of ownership all ready to go." Duo felt the grin from his partner a moment before he saw it.
 
"I'll do that," Heero promised. "Just as soon as I've let you know a little more just how much this means to me." Heero didn't let his lover surface for air for another ten minutes, and when they did, they were both flushed and panting.
 
"Anymore of that and I'll have to drag you through to the bedroom," Duo said, his voice husky.
 
"You can ravish me all you want later. Right now I have a couple of calls to make," Heero teased and then went through to the lounge room to make his calls leaving Duo standing in the kitchen, breathing ragged and a large ache in his pants.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...
 
[1] Pigeon toes, long in the back: These are common faults in horses and are genetically inherited. Pigeon toes mean the horse's front hooves turn inwards which leads to unsoundness (lameness) and makes for an uncomfortable ride. Long backed means the horse has extra length to the back which puts a lot of strain on the back muscles when carrying a rider, this in turn leads to back problems. For a more in depth look at the 'correct' conformation and 'faulty' conformation take a look at the following web site. The pics are excellent and a person that wouldn't have a clue about horses will easily see the differences.
http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/livestocksystems/compon ents/0482-04.html